Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If y'all are switching to scalpels, I highly recommend being safe and getting one of these for blade removal and disposal:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-2990...D0QE00ECN2M7HW8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope they put the Grimoire Red Beret in the next Gundam Versus

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

DX and GM/GM.

Seconded.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, this Gundam Stormbringer FA/GM Turbulence is so drat sexy.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/08/p-bandai-mg-1100-gundam-storm-bringer.html?m=1

https://twitter.com/the_hangar_bay/status/1291150066468577280?s=21

Hmm, odd that it’s sold out on the Singapore store, and doesn’t show up at all on the USA store, I wonder what’s going on here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got a robot!

https://imgur.com/a/pScWDv6

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

let's do a grimoire group build
quarantine build

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

quarantine build

That's the best excuse I've got for my current kitbash to actually get finished. And a good excuse to try to learn scribing better if I've ever heard one. Release the dome heads.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Christ, this Gundam Stormbringer FA/GM Turbulence is so drat sexy.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/08/p-bandai-mg-1100-gundam-storm-bringer.html?m=1

https://twitter.com/the_hangar_bay/status/1291150066468577280?s=21

Hmm, odd that it’s sold out on the Singapore store, and doesn’t show up at all on the USA store, I wonder what’s going on here.

They stagger the order opening on some of their items across the different stores. It will probably show up on the US store in a couple of weeks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

quarantine build

I'm down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have the regular and Red Beret so sure, I’m in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hello all, I started watching Gundam build videos whilst working from home and checked prices and it turns out that gunpla isn't so expensive after all. Talked to some goons and got the RG Tallgeese. Very cool.

Terrible picture, will get a better one once I buy a stand. I feel like RG is the perfect balance between detail and storage size for me, so might try and tackle Full Armour Unicorn (yes I know it's got a bazillion parts), or Sazabi/Banshee Unicorn once they're back in stock in my local shop.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I got the RG Banshee + P-Bandai Armed Armor parts from its initial outing. I'd say avoid the Banshee if only because its collar completely restricts sideways head movement. Having built a MG Unicorn in the past, it's amazing seeing the same-ish thing scaled down while still packing most of the gimmicks, albeit implemented differently due to size. The MG transformation feels more solid and stable since stuff stays in place more solidly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There might be a problem with the Grimoire group build. Neither Grimoire kit seems very available right now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Argas posted:

I got the RG Banshee + P-Bandai Armed Armor parts from its initial outing. I'd say avoid the Banshee if only because its collar completely restricts sideways head movement. Having built a MG Unicorn in the past, it's amazing seeing the same-ish thing scaled down while still packing most of the gimmicks, albeit implemented differently due to size. The MG transformation feels more solid and stable since stuff stays in place more solidly.

Thanks for the heads up, I was mostly interested in the Banshee for the colour scheme and aesthetics honestly so poseability isn't super high up in my priority list.

Are there any other RGs that people would suggest/not suggest? I've already been warned against the Sinanju.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I was mostly interested in the Banshee for the colour scheme and aesthetics honestly so poseability isn't super high up in my priority list.

Are there any other RGs that people would suggest/not suggest? I've already been warned against the Sinanju.

I built the Tallgeese recently and it ruled.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I built the Tallgeese recently and it ruled.

If you scroll up a bit you will see my picture of my RG Tallgeese :v: It did rule though!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see a lot of recommendations for RG Nu and Sazabi here, and I plan to build both myself once I get around to finishing Tallgeese

I was in a local hobby store the other day picking up some plastic cement to fix a busted Transformer, and they had an RG Z'gok... Wasn't someone in here building that one? How was it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

RG Mk2s are both solid. Zeta is a grenade due to transformation. Freedom was pretty decent. I hear good things about the Nu but no personal experience yet.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

There might be a problem with the Grimoire group build. Neither Grimoire kit seems very available right now.

protagonist grunt suit build then?
gms, grimoires, kapools, petitguys?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah that sounds good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm doing a Messer for the Gunpla Club group build right now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Graze Ein: it's a tall HG.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ibblebibble posted:

In the middle of the Nu and it’s really impressive. I’d even suggest it to people who’ve never done an RG before because it’s a good bit larger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The only thing I’m not crazy about is that it excludes the Leo but I can still get on board.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just bought a Messer. I'm excited to try out some new painting techniques I've never done before

Midjack posted:

The only thing I’m not crazy about is that it excludes the Leo but I can still get on board.

Didn't Heero pilot a Leo?

Add in all the stuff with Zeon protagonists, and Advance of Zeta with it's Titans protagonists, about the only suits excluded are the Death Army and the Windam

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

mass-produced grunt suit build then

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ibblebibble posted:

The RG Evangelion kits are intense builds. I lucked into a second RG EVA-01 so I'm building one unpainted, looking for clues as to how best to paint the others. And I'm worried, the tolerances are very tight. I can probably avoid the worst of that by only painting the exposed parts of the skeleton. For the rest, that's why there's sandpaper I suppose.

I've got the body and head units assembled. Assembling those were intense experiences. Most gunpla kits are far more on the human end of the "humanoid" scale, when working on an EVA unit you really can't get away from the fact that the thing inside the armor is not human. It's the torso articulation more than anything else, people just do not move like that.

Some real artistry went into the head on this kit. It's got the EVA profile down perfectly. Open the mouth and you've got a red maw that makes it look hungry, and I'd rather deal with Bruce Banner angry than Unit 01 hungry. I'd almost swear the eyes are looking back at you.

And supposedly the PG kit is better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What is the recommended airbrush and compressor for someone just getting started in airbrushing?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kibner posted:

What is the recommended airbrush and compressor for someone just getting started in airbrushing?

I'm not sure if this is what you'd consider "recommended" but when I was starting a few years ago this is what was recommended to me. It obviously depends on your budget, and this is the "mid range start" set, I guess:

Badger 105 Patriot
An air compressor since with a tank

The ideology for the pricetag on the compressor as I heard it was with a tank you save yourself a lot of annoying noise since it stores the compressed air for you. The one listed I don't think is the one I have, there's a Master compressor + tank for around $95 that looks like my model.

The badger is solid and not finnicky, plus it's dual action which is helpful when you want to try more airbrush techniques.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mllaneza posted:

The RG Evangelion kits are intense builds. I lucked into a second RG EVA-01 so I'm building one unpainted, looking for clues as to how best to paint the others. And I'm worried, the tolerances are very tight. I can probably avoid the worst of that by only painting the exposed parts of the skeleton. For the rest, that's why there's sandpaper I suppose.

I've got the body and head units assembled. Assembling those were intense experiences. Most gunpla kits are far more on the human end of the "humanoid" scale, when working on an EVA unit you really can't get away from the fact that the thing inside the armor is not human. It's the torso articulation more than anything else, people just do not move like that.

Some real artistry went into the head on this kit. It's got the EVA profile down perfectly. Open the mouth and you've got a red maw that makes it look hungry, and I'd rather deal with Bruce Banner angry than Unit 01 hungry. I'd almost swear the eyes are looking back at you.

What size is your Eva kit, say compared to an an average MG?

Seriously considering getting the Eva trio atm. :homebrew:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

All my Gunpla are still packed away so I can't say for certain, but I think an RG Eva is around the height of an MG RX-78-2. Way thinner though, it's a very lanky kit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

What size is your Eva kit, say compared to an an average MG?
couldnt find a pic of the RG evas next to a MG but

taller than the rg nu which means itll tower over almost all hgs/rgs. slightly smaller than most MGs. best comparison height-wise would probably be the rg sazabi or sinanju, though obviously its not as bulky width-wise.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks guys! :hfive:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zodack posted:

The ideology for the pricetag on the compressor as I heard it was with a tank you save yourself a lot of annoying noise since it stores the compressed air for you. The one listed I don't think is the one I have, there's a Master compressor + tank for around $95 that looks like my model.

The badger is solid and not finnicky, plus it's dual action which is helpful when you want to try more airbrush techniques.

Yeah, Badger P105 and a Master compressor with a tank. I was recommended a TC-40T which isn't terribly loud when it's topping off the tank, but whatever.

You'll want this quick-release adapter:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038NJYHG/

get some "needle juice" oil for the needle, and some beeswax for the metal on metal contact points in the nozzle assembly. Both help keep a good seal and proper air/paint flow. Re-oil the needle when you start getting bubbling at the trigger, and re-do the beeswax when cleaner starts foaming out of the nozzle during a cleaning cycle between colors or when putting it away.

I splurged on a cleaning pot, which I only use as a holder so I can put the brush down with paint in it. The brushes and needle-point poker have been essential deep cleaning tools. Consider this optional, but useful. I don't need it for running cleaner through the brush since I have a fume hood that vents outdoors, but YMMV.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154HN2NA/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks everyone!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

mllaneza posted:

I'm planning on painting my RG Evas, so I'm really interested in your findings.

That said, I can promise you the PG Eva is most assuredly not the better kit. I'd buy all the old clunky kits from the 90s before I'd get the PG.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have so many terrible ideas for the Grunt Group Build

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

somebody pick an arbitrary start and end point

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If people are ordering stuff for this it probably needs a couple of weeks to arrive so go with from the 1st to the 30th of September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

that's too long to wait
let ppl start early or start late imo

aug 15 to end of october?
that way people have plenty of time and they can start earlier if they want to