Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
huh that’s new to me

art imitated life and now life imitates art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i see this as duterte wanting to get out of the way

https://twitter.com/intelfeedia/status/1290507905012133888

--

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1291613607386476545

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I don't know if the framing of this story is just slanted against Duterte because this other piece that covers the same issue still admits that the AFP is going to participate in RIMPAC 2020 anyway

https://asiatimes.com/2020/08/duterte-bans-exercises-with-us-in-south-china-sea/

quote:

In a sign of Manila’s increasingly erratic defense signals, Duterte did not apparently oppose an expanded Filipino naval contingent’s participation in the biennial Rim of the Pacific Exercise 2020 (RIMPAC20) in Honolulu, Hawaii, the world’s largest US-led international warfare exercise.

The Philippines will send its newly-commissioned missile-frigate BRP Jose Rizal (FF-150) to the large-scale naval exercises between the US and two dozen allies scheduled for two weeks later this month. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some invited nations may not attend.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
RIMPAC is off the coast of hawaii though so i just interpreted that as duterte not wanting to get caught up in any SCS shenanigans

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

sincx posted:

The New Power Party ain't waiting around

https://taiwanpassport.tw/vote/international_standard/page=1

https://taiwanpassport.tw/vote/creativity/page=1

I'd honestly love to see more "fun" passport designs in use.

You can get a glass of bubble tea as one of them, but I don't see it on this site.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

sincx posted:

The New Power Party ain't waiting around

https://taiwanpassport.tw/vote/international_standard/page=1

https://taiwanpassport.tw/vote/creativity/page=1

I'd honestly love to see more "fun" passport designs in use.

Is that rainbow flag meant to be an LGBT thing?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dreddout posted:

Is that rainbow flag meant to be an LGBT thing?

Taiwan passed gay marriage semi-recently, so it's possible.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Huawei to stop making flagship chipsets as U.S. pressure bites, Chinese media say

Huawei is throwing in the towel on the production of its Kirin chipsets since they're cut off from TSMC, Cadence and Synopsys for both software and hardware.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Huawei to stop making flagship chipsets as U.S. pressure bites, Chinese media say

Huawei is throwing in the towel on the production of its Kirin chipsets since they're cut off from TSMC, Cadence and Synopsys for both software and hardware.

This is probably why China having been racing to develop its own domestic supply of chips for the last couple years.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does Taiwan actually have these animal as mascots? cause I don't remember Taiwanese reference them.

Surfing bear owns

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
listening to this interview with a former singaporean diplomat. was singapore's representative to the U.N. and was a one-time president of the U.N. security council. was tight with lee kuan yew. and he's very diplomatic but is like "the U.S. has lost their goddamned minds and are making a bunch of bad decisions which will hurt their own people." talks about how the communist party is reasonable and if it wasn't them you'd have some right-wing nationalists take over in china. pretty depressing and nothing this thread doesn't know, but there you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t06kEQQN9HI

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

listening to this interview with a former singaporean diplomat. was singapore's representative to the U.N. and was a one-time president of the U.N. security council. was tight with lee kuan yew. and he's very diplomatic but is like "the U.S. has lost their goddamned minds and are making a bunch of bad decisions which will hurt their own people." talks about how the communist party is reasonable and if it wasn't them you'd have some right-wing nationalists take over in china. pretty depressing and nothing this thread doesn't know, but there you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t06kEQQN9HI

I was just watching this today, funny coincidence. His book "Has China Won?" is on my to-read list.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Part of it is also that traditional American cold-war containment strategies don't really work for a city-state like Singapore, which has far more to lose than to gain from conflict.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
more from that:

+ weaponizing the U.S. dollar is incentivizing other countries to find alternatives to the dollar, chipping away at the foundations of U.S. hegemony and prosperity

+ noting biden's anti-china rhetoric, kishore notes bill clinton was very hard on china in 1992. "i will not coddle the butchers of beijing." a year later in november 1993, kishore was at a meeting between clinton and jiang zemin and saw clinton coddling jiang. hopes biden does the same

+ china is a closed society with an open mind, the united states is an open society with a closed mind. chinese officials are much more aware of what's going on in the united states than the other way around

+ americans can't conceive that their country has peaked and is going down in a structural fashion. can't stop fighting wars because of the interests of the military-industrial complex.

+ china has a meritocracy. america is no longer a democracy, but a plutocracy. and reversing plutocracy is very difficult. once it becomes entrenched the whole power structure reinforces it

+ worried about the trump administration starting a skirmish in the south china sea before the election

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

+ china has a meritocracy. america is no longer a democracy, but a plutocracy. and reversing plutocracy is very difficult. once it becomes entrenched the whole power structure reinforces it

Admittedly, China has its own issues with wealth and during the 1990s/2000s there was if anything a growing disparity between rich and poor in China. Evidence suggest that Xi has is actually closing that gap, but I think there is still a ways to go even if China has a better gini index than the US. As for the US reforming itself, it isn't going to happen. It is going to be real interesting to see in the next 1-2 years what is going to happen with US stimulus spending as the dollar steadily weakens.

quote:

+ worried about the trump administration starting a skirmish in the south china sea before the election

There may be some saber-rattling but there is a reason the US really doesn't want to get into actual combat with the PLAN. The PLAN has the assets to hit back hard and the US really doesn't have the regional assets to respond to a Chinese response. The US navy is still the most powerful in the world, but it is also everywhere while PLAN has been focusing on dominating the South China Sea and has the assets to do it. In the next 5-10 years, the PLAN will be actively contesting the USN on the wider global stage.

(Remember, that the US still needs to keep at least a fleet around the Persian Gulf just because of Iran and has most of its submarine force focused on the Russians.)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Kishore's book is only titled "Has China Won? " to sell books, the book itself doesn't conclude anything about China winning.

It was an easy and fast listen. I got though about half of it and got put off by his libertarian economic views in the Singapore and HK favors. So I still haven't finished it.

The thing about most of these think tank research books is that you usually can get a very good gist of it in their book tour events. So if you don't want to read the book or spend 10 hours on an audiobook, just watch about 3 of the author's hour-long think tank interviews he does around the book launch and you can get half of the book for free. And its in the author's own voice, not the book reader's voice.

Also this guy's view is very important because you rarely get any third-party voice in the China subject or the Sino-US competition subject matter. I actually can't think any off my head right now. I got a Germany guy and a spain guy who have written in the China subjects recently. But their books are not popular and there is no audible version.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah that's what i figured when i saw the title, and while people like him are important, their books usually don't break new ground but are kinda like vehicles to go to conferences and be part of the conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpJEcTEXUQ

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

more from that:

China does not have a meritocracy. Are you kidding me? There is no country in the world right now that has a meritocracy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Meritocracy in the sense that local official career advancement is decided based on your GDP/crime rate/petitioning frequency/"mass unhappy event"/embarrassed news making Wechat frontpage/etc score on a spreadsheet.

I find China's bureaucrat selection is most similar to corporate management advancement.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

stephenthinkpad posted:

Meritocracy in the sense that local official career advancement is decided based on your GDP/crime rate/petitioning frequency/"mass unhappy event"/embarrassed news making Wechat frontpage/etc score on a spreadsheet.

I find China's bureaucrat selection is most similar to corporate management advancement.

that is how every single bureaucracy is supposed to function on a basic level. if it does not, its broken bro

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
like... chinese bureaucrat selections are not very different from finnish ones. finnish ones still function better for a variety of reasons, but the fact is that neither is meritocratic

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
How has feminism in China been going? I only vaguely know about it through stuff like this article. Like, how truthful is it? I have no idea, and don't know how to verify.

https://logicmag.io/china/finding-a-voice/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Kurnugia posted:

that is how every single bureaucracy is supposed to function on a basic level. if it does not, its broken bro

I am talking about the selection of district head, cities majors and provinces heads, not your postal office managers. China doesn't go thru elections.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

+ china has a meritocracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princelings

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xi and other first-generation princelings derisively refer to people with non-Party, non-elite, commercial backgrounds like Hu Jintao as "shopkeepers' sons," whose parents did not fight and die for the revolution and therefore do not deserve positions of power.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kishore is actually on the outs with the Singapore government - and is seen as too much of a pro-Chinese public figure.
There was just a Singapore/China spy scandal - a Singaporean national living in DC was found out to be a spy for China which led to a lot of consternation.

Anti-China sentiment is actually increasing in the city-state both due to immigration as well as China's behavior in the region.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrokenGameboy posted:

How has feminism in China been going? I only vaguely know about it through stuff like this article. Like, how truthful is it? I have no idea, and don't know how to verify.

https://logicmag.io/china/finding-a-voice/

When I was last there a few years back it was still quite poor. I found this article on the subject somewhat informative:

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1005012/social-mentality-report-reveals-telling-trends-in-happiness

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
the most surprising thing for me was finding out that china managed to (allegedly) recruit a spy in singapore, the land of sarrong party girls. singaporeans are interchangeable with hk-ers in their rabid hate for all things china

fyi this study was published in 2019 and it concerns hiring chinese, malay and white applicants in singapore
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...12F/core-reader

quote:

The results showed that Chinese participants rated Malay applicants as less competent, less suitable for the job, and recommended a lower salary than equally qualified Chinese applicants. However, despite the perception of equal competence, Chinese participants rated White applicants as more suitable for the job and recommended them a higher salary than equally qualified Chinese applicants. Such results demonstrate the strong negative effects of colonial mentality and colorism.

and its not so much china's actions in the region that matters but the perception.

in that department, the free impartial unbiased international (*cough* western-centric and imperialistic *cough*) news media is regarded as the gold standard of ~journalism~ throughout southeast asia. so when they r peddling war against china, u best expect singaporeans be all hyphy bout it. since their national service system meant that they'd be conscripted to die first, im all for singapore breaking their professed neutrality and get straight to white cock sucking cuz maaaaaaaaan there's nothing i like more than a coalition of dirty browns and yellows fighting ch*nks and filling the ditches with their corpses. i get especially turgid when americans show up in the 11th hour to stand over the mound of bodies and liberate the dumb oppressed natives

vive la guerre!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1291678219364704256

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1291803217471447040?p=v
https://twitter.com/wslafoy/status/1291817245589544960?p=v

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/ACorollaries/status/1292015392156717056

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

huhwhat posted:

the most surprising thing for me was finding out that china managed to (allegedly) recruit a spy in singapore, the land of sarrong party girls. singaporeans are interchangeable with hk-ers in their rabid hate for all things china

and its not so much china's actions in the region that matters but the perception.

Sorry, must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in /pol/. You whore, you shitbird, you peasant fool from an isolated backwater.

Views are complicated. Malays rightly recognize that neither the US or China are friends, to their people or to Islam. Ethnic Chinese are divided between cheering China’s power, for reasons of ethnic connection, or hating it because parents/grandparents fled or were chased out from the homeland. Everyone acknowledges the impractical silliness of HKers resisting China, the patronage of which they cannot survive without.

The whole great power thing is suicidal futility and there’s not an idiot here who doesn’t recognize that Singapore would be annihilated if it got caught up in it.

Anyway you seem to think everyone in southeast asia is a gullible little peon subservient to US psyops and it’s v condescending but i shouldnt expect better from an american

Small Gay Planet has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Aug 9, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna845876

quote:

U.S. targets Chinese Uighur militants as well as Taliban fighters in Afghanistan

Feb. 8, 2018

The U.S. military says it carried out a series of punishing bombings last weekend of Taliban militant camps that also support a separatist Chinese terror group.

A bombing raid Sunday on a region bordering China and Tajikistan set a record for the number of precision-guided munitions launched at one time from a B-52 bomber, according to Air Force Maj. Gen. James Hecker, who spoke to reporters at the Pentagon in a video teleconference from Kabul on Wednesday.

The camps in remote Badakhshan Province supported Taliban operations within Afghanistan and by the East Turkestan Islamic Movement — set up by members of China's minority Uighur community — on the border region with China and Tajikistan, the military said.

Hecker added that the destruction of the training facilities would prevent "terrorists from planning any acts near the border with China and Tajikistan."

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

certain yes men have had to yes very hard for their current position, and 90% came from a peasant background so they are very justified to have their current extravagant wealth y'see

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Small Gay Planet posted:

Sorry, must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in /pol/. You whore, you shitbird, you peasant fool from an isolated backwater.

Views are complicated. Malays rightly recognize that neither the US or China are friends, to their people or to Islam. Ethnic Chinese are divided between cheering China’s power, for reasons of ethnic connection, or hating it because parents/grandparents fled or were chased out from the homeland. Everyone acknowledges the impractical silliness of HKers resisting China, the patronage of which they cannot survive without.

The whole great power thing is suicidal futility and there’s not an idiot here who doesn’t recognize that Singapore would be annihilated if it got caught up in it.

Anyway you seem to think everyone in southeast asia is a gullible little peon subservient to US psyops and it’s v condescending but i shouldnt expect better from an american

ah yes the majority of people around the world are very politically in tune and carefully consider all the information presented to them, they even take extra effort to investigate the veracity of the information and their sources . they also think very deeply about why certain actors frame an issue in a certain way and what sort of benefits that others may gain through that framing. they definitely do not take in whatever thats being broadcasted across popular news channel as gospel

that is why singapore takes the principled stance of being the honorary 6th eye of the 5eyes alliance (honorary cuz it aint majority white, reminds me of another similar situation, cant put my finger on it) . singaporeans r well aware they b ded in a china-usa war, and many singaporeans may think they can b switzerland and just hoard nazi gold while avoiding all culpability, just like the warmongers here who cheer on war as long as they dont get sent into the frontlines and reap the benefit of a subservient global south that provides cheap labor that maintains their first world quality of life. too bad singapore happens to sit on a major trade route where crude oil gets shipped into china. and singapore has signaled its allegiance a long time ago

https://www.asiasentinel.com/p/singapore-western-intelligence

quote:

The prime SIGINT function in relation to the "five eyes" collaboration, according to Philip Dorling of the Sydney Morning Herald, is in partnership with Britain, The United States, and Australia in intercepting data and telecommunications by tapping undersea cables that link Asia, the Middle East and Europe, under a program called TEMPORA. The two major fiber optic cables are the SEA-ME-WE-3 running from Japan, via Singapore through Djibouti, the Suez, the Straits of Gibraltar, to Northern Germany, and the SEA-ME-WE-4, from Singapore to Southern France.

Even though Singapore has been able to develop some cooperation with regional allies through programs like Eye-in-the-Sky (EiS), it is of a very limited nature as each countries forces are not allowed encroach upon another's territorial waters. ASEAN security summits have really got nowhere. Singapore's enthusiastic participation in five eyes surveillance programs has created a foreign policy dilemma as it appears contrary to its own regional interests, and therefore national interests, if the integration of Singapore with the rest of the region through bodies like ASEAN is a priority.

Singapore has failed to be a major shaper of the ASEAN agenda. The country’s ethnic make-up has not assisted it in developing any special relationship with China. Singapore is fast becoming an Asian anomaly, a stranger in its own home, out of synch with the rest of the region. It's a situation not unlike Israel, or Cuba in the extreme. This in the medium to long term will be counterproductive to its own National Security Strategy of prevention, protection, and response, and consequently national security.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Naval_Base

quote:

American presence

As part of a 1990 agreement (concluded in 1992) between Singapore and the United States, American military forces (primarily naval and air force) have been making use of Sembawang's base facilities.[4] The Commander, Logistics Group Western Pacific has been headquartered in Sembawang since 1992, providing logistic support for the US 7th Fleet in its operations in the Pacific and Southeast Asia.[5][6][7]

Apart from the US naval presence, the United States Air Force has its administration, logistics and support component for the 497th Combat Training Squadron being based there, while the squadron's flight operations are based out of Paya Lebar Air Base.[8]

luv it when white bootlickers r the first to shout self determinism and free thought when it concerns places where their propaganda and influence hav penetrated the deepest and shout brainwashing when it doesnt

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sincx posted:

deus ex was a documentary

Isaac: Maybe the Luminous Path, but China knows that the Red Arrow are business owners, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and that they protect the city from outside influences.
JC Denton: You said 'outside influences.' What does China fear?
Isaac: China is the last sovereign country in the world. Authoritarian but willing - unlike U.N.-governed countries - to give its people the freedom to do what they want.
JC Denton: As long as they don’t break the law.
Isaac: Listen to me. This is real freedom, freedom to own property, make a profit, make your life. The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power.
JC Denton: Our governments have limited power by design.
Isaac: Rhetoric--and you believe it! Don’t you know where those slogans come from?
JC Denton: I give up.
Isaac: Well-paid researchers - how do you say it? - 'think tanks,' funded by big businesses. What is that? A 'think tank'?
JC Denton: Hardly as sinister as a dictator, like China’s Premier.
Isaac: It’s privately-funded propaganda. The Trilateral Commission in the United States for instance.
JC Denton: The separation of powers acknowledges the petty ambitions of individuals; that’s its strength.
Isaac: A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.
JC Denton: Perhaps certain qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.
Isaac: The mark of the educated man is the suppression of these qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true of civilization.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US can't send the troops and ships to Taiwan, because China will just block them at sea and do a Cuban crisis 2.0. Think about it, the theater will be in the Taiwan strait, right next to mainland.

Also of course Singopare is on Team America. They have US military base. And China BRI project goes through Malaysia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

US can't send the troops and ships to Taiwan, because China will just block them at sea and do a Cuban crisis 2.0. Think about it, the theater will be in the Taiwan strait, right next to mainland.

i mean, the US seems more and more like it's just flailing randomly as it dies. i wonder if we're gonna start getting hotter sea confrontations soon