Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Arglebargle III posted:

You can show a person exploding in gore and the death of a whole planet but you can't show a nipple haha what the hell even is this culture we live in.

I liked White Chain better with an afro tho

One nice thing about this comic is frequent outfit changes, so I don’t expect her braids to be permanent. I do agree that White Chain’s atomic eyeball Afro was some of the best hair ever depicted so I want fleshbody White Chain to have access to it. Maybe in the void she just has wings and eye hair? That would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Tulip posted:

He's either conflicted, irrational, or both.

The flaw in his plan is very baked in. He knows that he's a lord of violence and force and that this isn't the greatest thing for a ruler, so he establishes a mechanism to unseat him and manages it, I think in good faith. He is worried that the empire he rules would fall prey to the other demiurges if they're not ruled by a supercombatant, so he makes the mechanism require beating him in combat. Turns out his school of combat is basically unbeatable unless you also master it, and mastering and using it require a single-minded devotion to violence. So he's created a paradoxical system that attempts to end a cycle of violence by finding somebody who is more dedicated and skilled at violence (this is a kind of basic flaw in a lot of meritocracies, just this one involves kung fu magic).

I don't think he is some smuglord redditor going "aha, the only way to beat me at debate is to accept my own point before we start," I think he's just not willing to take certain risks. He may be willing to risk his body in combat, which I think he does authentically believe somebody COULD beat him even if there's no evidence so far, but he's not willing to risk that somebody whose skills and aptitudes lay outside of being a kung fu monster could rule the empire. It is again the meritocracy problem: he might be ok with being replaced at an individual level, but he's not ok with being replaced by somebody who's too different.

While it's possible he's just irrational, that's something you can invoke for just about any character so should be used sparingly. He wants his empire to succeed and thrive, he wants Rayuba to never again be stripped and obliterated. He wants his children, metaphorical and other, to be safe, even when he's not around. He, like many fictional parents, is afraid of taking any risks with his children, and so keeps them and himself caged.

:hmmyes:

Had to think about this one.
Solomon, physically, can leave at any time.
He won't, because to do so would leave Rayuba in the hands of his sons, who while they might actually have the collective ability to lead an empire, they lack the strength to protect it against the various combat monsters who would inevitably come along to play at conquering/pillaging said empire.
But, Solomon doesn't have to do that. He could have, were he so inclined, prepared an heir.
Someone who was a combat monster and could run a kingdom, thus letting Solomon leave.

But he hasn't. Instead he has the Ring of Power, a tournament that entertains the public and produces little otherwise but mulch.
In theory the tournament might find a monster who could and would claim the empire for their victory, said monster even might be good at running* the empire.
But that wouldn't be enough, would it? It is all but certain that this theoretical victor would still be wanting in the eyes of Solomon; leaving Solomon with the doubt that the one drop of blood was all the inheritor could manage at their best, leaving room for someone weaker than solomon yet stronger than the candidate to come in, roast rayuba, etc.
*On a minor note, I suspect this is in part why the ring of power entrants had to fill so much paperwork: If they couldn't handle that, how could they be expected to run an empire?

Which poses a rather significant problem.

Solomon wants to leave, but fears that if he does will result in the pillaging/burning/obliteration of Rayuba round 2.
Solomon could prepare an heir to leave the kingdom, but the only way for such a candidate to be truly worthy in solomons eyes would be for them to crush Solomon utterly, thereby proving themselves capable of holding the empire.
Being crushed utterly, however, is rather inhibitive to going on a meandering journey or whatever solomon wants to be doing.
Thus, the farce that is the ring of power; a tournament where the theoretical victor who follows the rules is found wanting by its creator and that the sort of person Solomon would want to win the tournament wouldn't have needed to participate in the first place.

(Naturally, such a person has likely taken one look at this mess and decided to have nothing to do with it.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Anyone want to take bets on Solomon snapping and reasoning himself into thinking that burning down his empire first means no one else can destroy it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I bet Gog-Agog is very interested in this demonstration that it's possible to acquire a human body by punching Solomon David in the face.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bongo Bill posted:

I bet Gog-Agog is very interested in this demonstration that it's possible to acquire a human body by punching Solomon David in the face.

Gog Agog has no shortage of human bodies

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

If she could make effective use of those bodies, she'd feel no need to work so hard on sculpting faces out of worms.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

But she does have a shortage of punching Solomon David in the face.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Gog-Agog wants what everyone else has, all the time. Of course Gog-Agog is going to go spare when and if Solomon David expresses respect towards White Chain just after she managed to overcome her physical/metaphysical nature and become a new, beautiful human being.

Everything Gog-Agog could want, including blazing and miraculous affirmation of the self, and it's someone else, right there, who wasn't even Gog's chosen champion/pal. White Chain even gets to be Allison's dear friend!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Arcanuse posted:

He won't, because to do so would leave Rayuba in the hands of his sons, who while they might actually have the collective ability to lead an empire, they lack the strength to protect it against the various combat monsters who would inevitably come along to play at conquering/pillaging said empire.
But, Solomon doesn't have to do that. He could have, were he so inclined, prepared an heir.
Someone who was a combat monster and could run a kingdom, thus letting Solomon leave.

But he hasn't. Instead he has the Ring of Power, a tournament that entertains the public and produces little otherwise but mulch.
In theory the tournament might find a monster who could and would claim the empire for their victory, said monster even might be good at running* the empire.
But that wouldn't be enough, would it? It is all but certain that this theoretical victor would still be wanting in the eyes of Solomon; leaving Solomon with the doubt that the one drop of blood was all the inheritor could manage at their best, leaving room for someone weaker than solomon yet stronger than the candidate to come in, roast rayuba, etc.
*On a minor note, I suspect this is in part why the ring of power entrants had to fill so much paperwork: If they couldn't handle that, how could they be expected to run an empire?

Which poses a rather significant problem.

Solomon wants to leave, but fears that if he does will result in the pillaging/burning/obliteration of Rayuba round 2.
Solomon could prepare an heir to leave the kingdom, but the only way for such a candidate to be truly worthy in solomons eyes would be for them to crush Solomon utterly, thereby proving themselves capable of holding the empire.
Being crushed utterly, however, is rather inhibitive to going on a meandering journey or whatever solomon wants to be doing.
Thus, the farce that is the ring of power; a tournament where the theoretical victor who follows the rules is found wanting by its creator and that the sort of person Solomon would want to win the tournament wouldn't have needed to participate in the first place.

(Naturally, such a person has likely taken one look at this mess and decided to have nothing to do with it.)

Solomon lived through the chaos and death of a demiurge conquerer. He gave his life to becoming such that none would be able to do that to his people ever again. In doing so he became a tyrant and created a society that provided and protected its people with him as the backdrop against which all aggression would halt. In doing so, he made a perfect prison for himself where none could threaten him and as proxy his people. He would long for a self sustaining populace but due to how the world works one must be strong enough to maintain cohesion and act as said bulwark. He may be vain and authoritarian but I feel like his intentions are valid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arcanuse posted:

Or he could just separate the two tasks, and prepare on one side an elite cadre of administrators tasked with leading the empire, and on the other side an elite cadre of kung fu warriors tasked with defending the empire against threats. If you look at modern democracies, you'll find out that the tasks of "ruling" and "defending" are usually kept strictly separate, with the military not allowed to exert political power.

And like he could also go in King Under The Mountain mode, leave but give a way for his successors to call upon him to return in the empire's hour of need. He doesn't need to be Rayuba's reigning emperor to keep its citizens safe from would-be conquerors.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All Solomon would have to do to create a worthy successor is actually teach someone ki rata.

His power is so vast, and he's so competent, there's no way that actually finding/training someone to run and protect the empire is the problem. It's that he doesn't want to give up on his power. This whole tournament is an absurd, elaborate farce. Just another way for him to show off his superiority, while also maintaining the lie to himself that he wants to find a successor and leave to pursue Royalty.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Begemot posted:

All Solomon would have to do to create a worthy successor is actually teach someone ki rata.

He did it all on his own, only someone who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps can be worthy.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

nimby posted:

He did it all on his own, only someone who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps can be worthy.

No he didn’t

He did punish the pacifists who taught him but refused to take direct action though

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean ultimately Solomon is self-deceiving, because he can’t imagine separating martial power from rulership or societal governance. He can’t stop imagining a demiurge walking up and pasting everyone who preaches peace and good governance, because that’s what his life was like and it’s what he’s been - he’s terrified of another Solomon David but also believes only another Solomon David can rule.

Ultimately he’s wrong, and his intentions are deeply interwoven with his trauma and pride. But we can see how he got here from a sympathetic backstory, same as Mottom.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Victis posted:

No he didn’t

He did punish the pacifists who taught him but refused to take direct action though

I think that post was being a bit Ironic.

Though Solomon would absolutely consider himself to be a self made man despite being taught Ki Rata

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean he sought out and learned an extremely dangerous martial art all on his own, anyone who will be his successor clearly needs to have done so as well. That person will of course be a benevolent leader like all practitioners of dangerous martial arts, and not a ruthless killer, oh no.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Dave is definitely at his most vulnerable - in my experience, that's what it means when an extremely smug and fast-moving mammal suddenly has their gold rings fly everywhere

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Eh, if Solomon Dave disappeared, would the people here be liberated? Allison & Co. are idealists who have demonstrated zero practical ideas on how to deal with any of this poo poo and everyone would get enslaved/eaten by the other Kings. It's only SD's presence and power that keeps his empire locked in stasis but also safe from literal actual horrors.

Sure he kills a few hundred people every so often but they weren't fighting for their lives or freedom, they desired to rule

Dave's what happens to a videogame protagonist ten thousand years after the game ends

Victis fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 9, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

shirts and skins posted:

Dave is definitely at his most vulnerable - in my experience, that's what it means when an extremely smug and fast-moving mammal suddenly has their gold rings fly everywhere
P E R F E C T K I L L
Z O N E

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean he sought out and learned an extremely dangerous martial art all on his own, anyone who will be his successor clearly needs to have done so as well. That person will of course be a benevolent leader like all practitioners of dangerous martial arts, and not a ruthless killer, oh no.

He talked the monks into teaching him, but it was hardly on his own. You can't just learn ki rata, someone has to teach it to you or you'll either fail to get the breathing thing right or just blow your own limbs off.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

'he's not a self-made man, he was taught a martial art' is a ludicrous take. soldave sucks but he did legitimately go from 'stuck on a planet with no sun' to this via his own efforts

you don't just sort of get the martial art for free because someone is teaching it to you

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Victis posted:

Eh, if Solomon Dave disappeared, would the people here be liberated? Allison & Co. are idealists who have demonstrated zero practical ideas on how to deal with any of this poo poo and everyone would get enslaved/eaten by the other Kings. It's only SD's presence and power that keeps his empire locked in stasis but also safe from literal actual horrors.

Sure he kills a few hundred people every so often but they weren't fighting for their lives or freedom, they desired to rule

Dave's what happens to a videogame protagonist ten thousand years after the game ends

Nyave at least knows what's goin on

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Patware posted:

'he's not a self-made man, he was taught a martial art' is a ludicrous take. soldave sucks but he did legitimately go from 'stuck on a planet with no sun' to this via his own efforts

you don't just sort of get the martial art for free because someone is teaching it to you

And by that logic, if he were to teach Ki Rata to someone (maybe his sons?) they wouldn't be getting it for free either. It's a fuckton of effort and hardship.

But no, he needs to find some other random person he doesn't know that happens to be stronger than him, with no guarantee they'll be benevolent, just strong. It is a Bad Plan.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I just had a thought; what if we've got the wrong approach with Gog Agog. What if she doesn't go all devour worm, and upon seeing white chain transcend, gog agog learns and transcends herself. Destroying one of the demiurges without violence but causing incredible chaos as the balance is gone in an instant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

Gog-Agog wants what everyone else has, all the time. Of course Gog-Agog is going to go spare when and if Solomon David expresses respect towards White Chain just after she managed to overcome her physical/metaphysical nature and become a new, beautiful human being.

Everything Gog-Agog could want, including blazing and miraculous affirmation of the self, and it's someone else, right there, who wasn't even Gog's chosen champion/pal. White Chain even gets to be Allison's dear friend!

Gog-Ago wants to be everyone else, all the time. Anything and everything she does is pantomime to hide her true nature and get desperate unhappy people to willingly take a Worm.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah like what would SolDave's plan be if Jagganoth showed up at a ring of power and said "hey, sign me up, I bet I can make the emperor bleed"

Probably he'd try to apply some sort of technicality to prevent Jagganoth to entering, but if he got around that via whatever means, then... like, he's the one non-deity in the setting who we know to canonically, individually stronger than Solomon, and Solomon seems to know this also. the fact that the one criterion for taking care of solomon's empire is "be stronger than me" rather than "look like you'll be a better ruler than me" is just because Solomon doesn't want to face the fact that being the best fighter has no particular connection to being a good ruler and the fact that solomon's political legitimacy rests purely on his personal combat ability is a weakness of his regime, not a strength.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Jagganoth wouldn't turn up and declare anything. He'd wordlessly obliterate Davey and his empire, likely with an army of thorn knights and whatever else he's been working on in the background. If not with raw brute power and whatever else Metatron might have given him.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

First page, first question of the reams of entry questions is “Are you the god of more than 777,776 universes? Y/N”

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ledgem posted:

I just had a thought; what if we've got the wrong approach with Gog Agog. What if she doesn't go all devour worm, and upon seeing white chain transcend, gog agog learns and transcends herself. Destroying one of the demiurges without violence but causing incredible chaos as the balance is gone in an instant.

Gog Agog is a demiurge, therefore she is unable to achieve Royalty so of course she won't be able to replicate what White Chain just did.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DancingShade posted:

Jagganoth wouldn't turn up and declare anything. He'd wordlessly obliterate Davey and his empire, likely with an army of thorn knights and whatever else he's been working on in the background. If not with raw brute power and whatever else Metatron might have given him.

Y’know, Gog is so obviously the candidate for the obligatory end-of-book “antagonist makes a dynamic entrance and all hell breaks loose” moment that I now wonder if Abaddon is about to throw us a curveball and have Jagganoth decide to finally make his big power play... with Solomon as his first target.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TK-42-1 posted:

First page, first question of the reams of entry questions is “Are you the god of more than 777,776 universes? Y/N”

The Gog Rule

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DancingShade posted:

We've never really seen Jagganoth's army and/or emissaries, but they're probably tough enough to kick around thorn knights. Destroying the entire multiverse includes taking them out as well.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I suspect Jagganoth vs. Solomon wouldn't be so one-sided. Now, Solomon can't necessarily win in the end, because Jagganoth is literally invulnerable by all accounts, but I would bet Solomon David can move faster than him and ring him out. Then it's a war, if Jagganoth wants a war, and not a duel.

Jagganoth wouldn't have time for the entrance papers and the early fights anyways.

Jagganoth may be stronger than the others, but I think if he thought he could murder his way through the Seven one by one easily like that, he'd be doing it. Mottom and Mammon have been at each others' throats and Universal War is back again, and Jagganoth is still biding his time. The Red God may be personally invulnerable, but he seems to be tactically sound enough to wait for things to get even more chaotic before starting his bid for divine suicide.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The other demiurges probably have the ability to contain him if he came after them. Sure, he could probably eventually break out of some wack-rear end crystal prison or whatever they put him in, but it's possible it could put him out of commission for enough time that it would slow down the pace of his conquest. Jagganoth is probably just being pragmatic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What keeps Jaggy in line is the Pact of the Seven Part World. If he starts poo poo now, all six other Demiurges will immediately turn on him and that's costly. Even if he's completely invulnerable, all that really means is he can't die and they could still potentially combine their powers to imprison him in some form for a very long time.

So far Allison's done a lot of work for him by putting two Demiurges to war with eachother, and what'll probably set up the final march to war in the next book (assumingly) is toppling or occupying two more in Solomon and Gog-Agog. Which leaves only Incubus, who is Jagganoth's pet, and Jadis. Who is a wee bit entombed in glass and distorted after perceiving the Shape of the Universe.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Worth noting that two of the Demiurges have explicitly backed Allison in the tournament, they just don't want to openly antagonize Solomon themselves.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I do wonder if Jadis will do anything of importance for the story (besides giving the name) or not. Not that she needs to, not every god is important as long as its known they are there

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What keeps Jaggy in line is the Pact of the Seven Part World. If he starts poo poo now, all six other Demiurges will immediately turn on him and that's costly. Even if he's completely invulnerable, all that really means is he can't die and they could still potentially combine their powers to imprison him in some form for a very long time.

So far Allison's done a lot of work for him by putting two Demiurges to war with eachother, and what'll probably set up the final march to war in the next book (assumingly) is toppling or occupying two more in Solomon and Gog-Agog. Which leaves only Incubus, who is Jagganoth's pet, and Jadis. Who is a wee bit entombed in glass and distorted after perceiving the Shape of the Universe.

Incubus is not Jagganoth's pet - he's just after something very similar to Jagganoth, a new war where he can prove himself against the rest of the Seven. Incubus thinks he'll win, and we'll see.

I will say that 'betting on the protagonist to win' is Incubus' move and honestly, that's probably going to pan out better than Jagganoth's plans. Then Incubus will lose to Allison too probably, but that is something I'm very excited for.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 9, 2020

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Gog Agog is a demiurge, therefore she is unable to achieve Royalty so of course she won't be able to replicate what White Chain just did.

I uh, I'm not sure that's a hard written rule? We just saw White Chain just transcend in a way nobody could have imagined. We also know that the ending of this is "something people won't like".

And the whole point of the story seems to be breaking the cycle of stagnation and finding means around the perpetual violence the universe has. There's not enough time to address each demiurge with the same focus as Dave or Mottom. Gog's whole thing is envy, and she's a demiurge who just witnessed Royalty. Being a demiurge doesn't mean you can't grow it means you're stuck in this cycle of stagnation and I don't know about you but the the idea of a demiurge learning something and ceasing to be one, thanks to something the protagonists have done, reads to me like a huge way of bypassing the violence and fits the theming that's going on.

Also, replicating is not the same as creating. White Chain created the path, why is someone who is unable to pave their own way forward unable to replicate that path? It's even in Gog's style to try and copy someone else and that copy might finally be something that helps her shed the shackles of being a demiurge.

I dunno, a potential path of positivity for our pal that leads to a fucktonne of chaos in the wheel seems like a neat twist rather than "all the demiurges are going to stay fuckers forever until they are killed" which im not sure is meant to be the story. Violence is inescapable, but people growing seems to be the main theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I do wonder if Jadis will do anything of importance for the story (besides giving the name) or not. Not that she needs to, not every god is important as long as its known they are there

I would guess that the final book will focus on Jadis and Jagganoth, just to round out the rogues' gallery.