Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of that brief gag where Momo complained she got the second-most votes for the class rep position but got passed over for Iida.

Hanging a lampshade on it doesn't make it better. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It'll be funny if he just no-sells the sedative by getting so big it becomes too small of a dose to knock him out

I'm still expecting Skeptic to make a bunch of body doubles for the League while the heroes can't see them and make their way to the city on foot while they put down Gigantomachia.

Also no chapter next week due to a holiday.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Taps microphone* I miss Tsuyu.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

*Taps microphone* I miss Tsuyu.

Out of curiosity, was the last time she actually made an appearance in the manga that wasn’t just a small cameo?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The Mina colour splash into the chapter was pretty lame but hopefully the scales tilt for one side next chapter and this can start wrapping up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was the last time she actually made an appearance in the manga that wasn’t just a small cameo?

I think it was the 1A vs 1B arc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

I just noticed that Momo made artillery cannons for the kids to fire at Gigantomachia :wtc:

They don't appear to be working so it's fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

They don't appear to be working so it's fine.

Even if they were working I doubt artillery cannons are going to do more to Machia than be a mild annoyance.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Shere posted:

She's not just gonna spend all of her creation budget on an oversized and inefficient cannon again... Right?

Momo always delivers though. She even exceeded my expectations and made multiple.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, the cannons were only there to provide covering fire while they extracted Kirishima(and Mina and Tetsutetsu too) so they were actually really effective this time. Helps that they actually fired explosives this time instead of a box of supplies.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah I'm gonna be the killjoy and say that for the time she had, Momo's plan was actually pretty great and amazingly complex. She didn't just set up the sinkhole pit, she put explosives on the bottom to sink him further and calculated exactly where his chin would land and set up a Mineta-trap with ropes so they can keep him in position. Then she had multiple strike teams keep the League busy and even almost take them all out (again showing that Kaminari is actually super scary when he's set up right). The fact that a lot of it only delayed Giga from standing up and it came down to one person making it through is more a reflection on what a force of nature she's going against, but it looks like she's pulled it off. All after figuring out exactly what she'd need to do in only a few seconds in a blisteringly high pressure situation and then a minute or two to explain it and set it up.

Also even after making all she has already, being able to make multiple gently caress-off mortars is a new peak of her Quirk to what we've seen from her so far.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm assuming the narrative reason she always makes cannons is that they're mechanically pretty simple but also at the same time I'd have to imagine the best ROI for training her quirk right now would be to make more cost effective stuff. Just start passing out RPG-7s or something.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
*5 years later* come on guys momo is useful she was actually present for the final fight!

edit: ok I’m just being salty from the Mina thing still fresh in my head,not the worst showing from momo all things considered but after mirko my expectations went back from zero

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 11, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Whoa, let's not be hasty here, there's still a pretty good chance that Gigantomachia will completely no-sell the sedative due to some quirk he has, making the whole Momo plan impressive, but completely useless as usual.:v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm really ready for this arc to loving end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When is the part where All Might shows up and is struck down by Shiggy, only to come back more powerful than he could have possibly imagined?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cutting back and forth is really hurting the sense of flow, correct. We need some loving One Piece diagrams to remind me where everyone is.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Arist posted:

Cutting back and forth is really hurting the sense of flow, correct. We need some loving One Piece diagrams to remind me where everyone is.

They had one of those like 5 chapters ago. At this point it's just the Shigaraki Squad and the Gigantomachia Group.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm really ready for this arc to loving end.

I'm sort of starting to lean this way, but it's mostly because the giant epic sweeping city-destroying scale of the conflict is kind of leaving me numb. Every character only has time to shine as a face in the crowd and there's no room for any character interactions beyond who is fighting with who and under who's orders.

I think it's because I'm mentally contrasting it with Vigilantes, which has kept a very narrow and intimate focus and feels a lot more important and personal, despite the stakes being so much smaller.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm sort of starting to lean this way, but it's mostly because the giant epic sweeping city-destroying scale of the conflict is kind of leaving me numb. Every character only has time to shine as a face in the crowd and there's no room for any character interactions beyond who is fighting with who and under who's orders.

I think it's because I'm mentally contrasting it with Vigilantes, which has kept a very narrow and intimate focus and feels a lot more important and personal, despite the stakes being so much smaller.

Yeah at the end of the day caring about a story is really caring about the characters in that story and in that respect Vigilantes has the advantage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Remember when Iida and Ochako were Deku's best friends and important characters?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I feel like the stakes have risen too quickly, it's not even the end of the first year of school and they are already fighting world ending mega threats that are taking out all the pro heroes. Even Naruto took slightly more time before the characters were fighting gods and the such.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't disagree more. I think the series is really hitting the limits of what it can do purely within the school setting, and if this is truly setting up a major paradigm shift, we're moving away from a status quo of 280 chapters. That's a long-rear end time. I guess the real problem is that this hasn't felt like a steady escalation because we've been wasting our time with poo poo like 1A vs. 1B.

I think this is necessary, but I wish we could just pick up the pace here a bit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it's kind of an unfortunate result of Shiggy starting out so ineffective. You have to build him up to a credible threat, but taking too long might cause people to care less about his deal. So now the first years get to fight in essentially a war zone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did anyone else notice that Gigantomachi was transforming in the lass few panels? Part of his upper face peeled off at least, which looks way more like a This Isn’t Even My Final Form kinda thing given context than a getting beaten down one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

I can't disagree more. I think the series is really hitting the limits of what it can do purely within the school setting, and if this is truly setting up a major paradigm shift, we're moving away from a status quo of 280 chapters. That's a long-rear end time. I guess the real problem is that this hasn't felt like a steady escalation because we've been wasting our time with poo poo like 1A vs. 1B.

I think this is necessary, but I wish we could just pick up the pace here a bit.

Yeah, you can only do so many samey test/tournament arcs before you have to shake things up a bit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm really liking this arc but the switches in perspective feel annoyingly timed rather than tense. Just have poo poo keep happening and don't blunt the momentum of what's going on. Like- don't cut away from Shiggy if we're going back to him now. Just do the whole loving fight to whatever huge stinger you have planned and THEN cut back to finish out Gigantomachia.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

Remember when Iida and Ochako were Deku's best friends and important characters?

No, because Deku has always been best buddies with number 1 and 3 most popular characters Bakugo and Todoroki.

Who are these other, less popular characters you speak of

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I feel like the stakes have risen too quickly, it's not even the end of the first year of school and they are already fighting world ending mega threats that are taking out all the pro heroes. Even Naruto took slightly more time before the characters were fighting gods and the such.

Right around this time Naruto was starting to get into fighting a group that individually had the power to conquer entire countries.

The difference is that Naruto’s story legitimately moved faster than this is and they threw in a 2 year timeskip.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, you can only do so many samey test/tournament arcs before you have to shake things up a bit.
Yeah, it feels rote and repetitive.

You could say it's really capturing that school feel down to the hilt! :haw:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Right around this time Naruto was starting to get into fighting a group that individually had the power to conquer entire countries.

The difference is that Naruto’s story legitimately moved faster than this is and they threw in a 2 year timeskip.
I think it was a wash with Naruto because they did a big 2 year timeskip but man, Naruto arcs were really loving long

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Kanos posted:

I don't think they have a future in the hero business now that the average criminal is no longer some city punks. Year 2 will begin Iida, Ochako and all other students without lethal combat quirks getting transferred to a safer school. This will get rid of all the Krillin/Yamcha/etc distractions so we can fully focus on Deku and Vegeta. The others will still visit for beach and Christmas filler arcs tho.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Fall damage is lethal :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think the frequent(but understandable) breaks kind of hurt the pacing a bit and I'm interested in going back and rereading this whole arc in one go once it's over to see if it flows better.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Fall damage is lethal :colbert:

Yeah, it's hard to think of anyone in the class who doesn't have a potentially lethal quirk. Hagakure I guess? But like, one of the main villains Is a dude with swords who can stick to things and one of the top heroes is a woman who is a rabbit, so even the most mundane seeming quirks don't really hold you back from being a killer.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 11, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This arc flows really well imo and my reasoning is I dropped the manga at Re-Destro's intro for whatever reason and this weekend read from there to current and it rules hard. Loved the My Villain Academia arc. Mirko is cool and I respect Hawks a lot. Wish they would just finally get around to Dabi being Toyo though lol. It was fairly likely long before we even found out about a dead Todoroki kid.

Also the Endeavour stuff is really well done imo, h'es been hella cautious and slow in doing that redemption and imo it's working really well.

Also gotta respect Shigaraki for being a fellow Eraserhead fan lol, and I loved him re-iterating the "you really are so cool eraser head" line from USJ arc.

Kind of not too keen on the sudden jump in power for Shigaraki and Deku though because I guess this feels like the final clash that I'd have expected way further down the line. Curious to see how it ends because either Shigaraki is captured or gets away but is diminished massively? But they are definitely the counterweights to each other so I expect him to be a longterm villain but can't see him winning here but also can't see this being the end of him.

Also I started the anime today and I assume everyones onboard with Deku's doctor being the AfO doctor?

I'm mainly interested in Mirio's return more than anything still though lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the weekly release of this arc hurts the pacing of it. I'm surprised seeing people saying the pacing of it sucks, because i just binged the whole series to catch up and think this arc is fantastic. It's felt very snappy and exciting, but that wasn't having to wait a whole week in between small bouts.

I'm guessing that on a re-read once it's all finished, it'll go over more smoothly.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Sub Harrison posted:

I don't think they have a future in the hero business now that the average criminal is no longer some city punks. Year 2 will begin Iida, Ochako and all other students without lethal combat quirks getting transferred to a safer school. This will get rid of all the Krillin/Yamcha/etc distractions so we can fully focus on Deku and Vegeta. The others will still visit for beach and Christmas filler arcs tho.

Now I can't decide if I like lethal Iida better with barbed wire shin guards or just like a jousting lance

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the weekly release of this arc hurts the pacing of it. I'm surprised seeing people saying the pacing of it sucks, because i just binged the whole series to catch up and think this arc is fantastic. It's felt very snappy and exciting, but that wasn't having to wait a whole week in between small bouts.

I'm guessing that on a re-read once it's all finished, it'll go over more smoothly.

there's also more 2 weeks breaks due to the pandemic which is what it is

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Last Celebration posted:

Did anyone else notice that Gigantomachi was transforming in the lass few panels? Part of his upper face peeled off at least, which looks way more like a This Isn’t Even My Final Form kinda thing given context than a getting beaten down one

I saw that and had to look at the page a second time. It was gross!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The chapter was okay, but a small tweak that might've been nice would be if Kirishima bailed Mina out by letting her hold onto his back while he climbed up, so she could still deliver the sedative herself. I'm fine with the "like poetry, it rhymes" of him paying her back for the time he froze up in front of Giganto, but it would've sold it a little harder as a team effort if they confronted him together instead of just having her sedative canister.

I also just want to cut any development of Kirishima and Mina some slack since I'm not much of a fan of Bakugo either so Kirishima having other friends is good. The poor boy's always going to be drawn to his ideal of manliness like a moth to a flame and maybe it's at least curbing the worst of Bakugo's antisocial impulses, but drat, get some better influences in your life kid.