Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Petiso posted:

Great, now I'm picturing an universe where saiyans have hyena traits instead of ape traits.

that's not how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because the people who worked on GT outright said that Pan existed just to cause problems for Goku to solve. She's not allowed to do anything other than be a source of conflict.

see, i was on the more generous "GT is mediocre at best but i appreciate the attempt at going back to a more OG DB style adventure story and then ideas like the evil dragons" end of things and then i read that quote about them including Pan just to be a damsel for Goku to rescue all the time and it was like "gently caress it, who cares if we lose Dan Dan, fire this poo poo into the sun"

just because this stuff is made for boys doesn't mean you have to be a sexist piece of poo poo in how you go about it. not that Dragon Ball has ever been great about its women characters, but just straight up saying it like that is like darn

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

bowmore posted:

i don’t normally like pops but this one caught my eye

That idea would look terrific in any other fig.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

that's not how that works

It's not, but he can make one helluva creepy doujin out of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kurui Reiten posted:

There is an EXPLICIT lesbian couple that gets full on lily imagery treatment in the same tournament.

Toei gives no shits. Or at least not enough shits to squelch it.

I still love how they had some of the different universes be in outright different genres.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I posted these in the bootleg thread but they belong here too. Not my pics, someone on a DB group I'm in found these:

(for the prices, those are ARS, so the cheapest one there is $23.36 and the more expensive ones are $32.98...still far more than they're actually worth)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What the hell are the giant holes in their chests for?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Special Beam Cannon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

What the hell are the giant holes in their chests for?

The projection function...whatever that is, I guess?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I love emaciated Broly.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I posted these in the bootleg thread but they belong here too. Not my pics, someone on a DB group I'm in found these:

(for the prices, those are ARS, so the cheapest one there is $23.36 and the more expensive ones are $32.98...still far more than they're actually worth)

I am pencil neck Goku

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hate the smug angels and i hope a villain destroys them, if only temporarily

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anyone who hurts Whis is the worst villain of all.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the pacing in dbs is so much better than z it's insane to me to read reviews to the contrary

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone saying the contrary is probably falsely remembering DB Kai/the manga which does have very fast pacing, or hasn't watched DBZ in over a decade. Uncut DBZ is loving dire.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Remember that time there was a whole episode devoted to Cell transforming from Semi-Perfect to Perfect Cell? :shepicide:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I forgot if the battle against Frieza lasted an entire month's worth of episodes, or if it lasted even longer and went on for two months.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I forgot if the battle against Frieza lasted an entire month's worth of episodes, or if it lasted even longer and went on for two months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7SsiWj7H44

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Keep in mind that this is the last (two) part(s) of a fight that also included

- Vegeta vs. First Form Frieza
- Gohan, Krillin, and Vegeta vs. Second Form Frieza
- Piccolo vs. Second Form Frieza
- Piccolo vs. Third Form Frieza
- Gohan vs. Third Form Frieza
- Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo vs. Final Form Frieza
- Vegeta vs. Final Form Frieza
- Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo "vs." Captain Ginyu/Bulma (Filler)
- Gohan vs. Final Form Frieza (Filler)

No wonder people were tired of Namek by the end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Remember that time there was a whole episode devoted to Cell transforming from Semi-Perfect to Perfect Cell? :shepicide:

30 minutes of gross 18/cell tail vore, yes

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That was the prior episode, I think. The one I had in mind was almost entirely:

- Cell transforms.
- Krillin, Vegeta, 16, and Trunks react.
- Cell continues transforming.
- Cut to Kami's Lookout where Piccolo and Dende react.
- Transforming continues.
- Cut to Goku and Gohan in the HTC.
- Trunks tries to stop the transformation, but nothing happens.
- Cell finishes transforming.
- Krillin tries DD, fails, and gets kicked in the head.

And that was it. I'm not even entirely sure that last part was in the episode.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the pacing of the series is fine until around the arrival of the Ginyus, which is about half of it overall if you include before the title change, which you should

which still means you have 200 odd episodes of badly paced garbage, ofc. it sucks, because when i started rewatching the series i was like "these slower moments combine with the music to really help build the tension that is then released in the bursts of action" but then the whole Freeza thing happens and things never really recover from there

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 14, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's some really good poo poo in the Buu saga that's anime exclusive- a lot of the choreographing and more advanced showy fight beats

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

There's some really good poo poo in the Buu saga that's anime exclusive- a lot of the choreographing and more advanced showy fight beats

I'm only up to the Saiyaman stuff in my "taking a decade to rewatch this show, apparently" trip through my Dragon Boxes but it wouldn't surprise me. There can be some really good anime only moments, it's just all mixed in with the "we need to streeetch this out without actually adding anything of value" stuff when we look at filler in aggregate

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I'm only up to the Saiyaman stuff in my "taking a decade to rewatch this show, apparently" trip through my Dragon Boxes but it wouldn't surprise me. There can be some really good anime only moments, it's just all mixed in with the "we need to streeetch this out without actually adding anything of value" stuff when we look at filler in aggregate

Yeah it pretty much starts with Goku VS Vegeta round 2 and then comes back for Everyone VS Kid Buu

Someone posted a gif of one of those moments in the Goku Kid Buu fight that's gorgeous earlier in the thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dragonball is good in my opinion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Relin posted:

the pacing in dbs is so much better than z it's insane to me to read reviews to the contrary

Nostalgia goggles are pretty heavy.

Super definitely feels more relaxed than Z, like they're not desperately putting out episodes to keep up a weekly quota to keep their timeslot, they know they have the biggest name in anime and they can afford to take their time and make it flow better.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Tournament of Power fights are meant to be happening at the time time as one another, not that they bothered too much with even remembering it was meant to take place in iirc under or barely over a single hour.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Dragonball is good in my opinion

there are bumpy moments but heck, same

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3SlTgDrdY

Finally. Felt like the most glaring omission.

Now give me Tao Pai Pai and Bulma in a mech.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Give me Mr. Satan you cowards

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mr. Satan would almost definitely not have a reflect making him by default as unplayable as Videl is

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Mr. Satan would almost definitely not have a reflect making him by default as unplayable as Videl is

Why would he need a reflect if it's all mirrors and tricks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj3SlTgDrdY

Finally. Felt like the most glaring omission.

Now give me Tao Pai Pai and Bulma in a mech.

Oh cool. Maybe they'll give us Jackie Chun as the next character. I know he's kind of obscure but I'd love to see Goku get to take on his other tournament loss besides Tien.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Kame-Sennin will almost undoubtedly use all of Jackie Chun’s moves: the lightning, sleepy boy, and drunken fist alongside Kamehameha and Mafuba.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
So Mafuba's an instant kill unless you've got someone to tag in and break you out right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

So Mafuba's an instant kill unless you've got someone to tag in and break you out right?

Well you also have to make sure any iteration of Goku is not on your team so he doesn't forget the seal

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

My guess is that it will just have a Dynamic Finish.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ImpAtom posted:

Boooo!

TwoPair posted:

Well you also have to make sure any iteration of Goku is not on your team so he doesn't forget the seal

Yeah! I feel like they kinda dropped the special intros and fun attack changes depending on your team.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe it's like 21's cupcake attack where it only seals them if it's the finishing move. Otherwise, it misses the jar, but slams them into the ground for damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i forgot android 21 was in fighterz