Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

von Metternich posted:

I think technically his last words, that we know about, are in that short story where he becomes a Vengance shadow demon and fucks up lorgar. But yeah, it’s pretty stupid

What short story is this? And I would love for Corax to come back all warped up but loyal and Guilliman trying to make it work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

BL announced:

The HH character series started with the Valdor book. I am hoping this one is Malcador. Could be Sevetar. We'll see.

It's Luther: First of the Fallen

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/12/first-of-the-fallen/?fbclid=IwAR3WuqQWMZ5g3sNNV-67yJAPp9-fJfobeZDEiZ66zgEWXRq8-goCXC8lxU8

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Spear of the Emperor primaris question. How is the primaris upgrade method the Mentors brought with them from Calgar superior to the method the Spears already had? Or are they all normal marines, and this was the first primaris in the Veil? Edit: was it the new method upgrades a small-marine whereas the locals only have the tech to upgrade from young humans?

As great as the narrator is, jee-rear end aside, this is one where I wish I'd bought the novel instead rather than listen to it across weeks of my short commute. Harder to go back to reference something and easy to miss a line or two in traffic.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 12, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bagrada posted:

Spear of the Emperor primaris question. How is the primaris upgrade method the Mentors brought with them from Calgar superior to the method the Spears already had? Or are they all normal marines, and this was the first primaris in the Veil? Edit: was it the new method upgrades a small-marine whereas the locals only have the tech to upgrade from young humans?

As great as the narrator is, jee-rear end aside, this is one where I wish I'd bought the novel instead rather than listen to it across weeks of my short commute. Harder to go back to reference something and easy to miss a line or two in traffic.

The Spears only had the method to create new Primaris from recruits since Calgar had not crossed the Rubicon yet when they received that information. The Mentor came after the Calgarian Rite had been done so they were able to show them how a normal space marine could be upgraded. Most of the Spears were already Primaris (maybe all?). It was the Mentor that crossed the Rubicon since he was a normal SM.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Ohhh. Yeah I absolutely did miss that.

The book's fantastic though.

"My patience, unlike my authority, is limited."

Yeah.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I've been rereading the Cain books, and after all his little school stories I really want Schola Progenium the anime.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So the big deal with Grey Knights is that they have to wipe out any allies that they meet on the battlefield.

But, durimg the Horus Heresy, all the original Grand Masters are decent guys who'd never actually done that, and didn't seem lile the types who would agree to that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

In Emperor's Gift, they seemed pretty chill and would have preferred not to fight allies, but they're reluctantly loyal to the Inquisition's orders. I think they'd be the types to totally nod and say "yeah we'll totally be a bunch of dicks" while not doing that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SardonicTyrant posted:

But, durimg the Horus Heresy, all the original Grand Masters are decent guys who'd never actually done that, and didn't seem lile the types who would agree to that.

tbf that was ten thousand years ago

EDIT: I just checked, and the Horus Heresy only lasted for NINE YEARS? For a galaxy spanning war? That's loving stupid.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

So the big deal with Grey Knights is that they have to wipe out any allies that they meet on the battlefield.

The fluff has always been inconsistent with the "wiping out all knowledge of Chaos".

Cain runs into Chaos all the time and knows how the chaos gods work, to the point of advising the IG commanders to not interfere when he sees Khorne chaos marines attacking other chaos troops because he knows the gods have their petty squabbles.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Miguel Prado posted:

What short story is this? And I would love for Corax to come back all warped up but loyal and Guilliman trying to make it work

It’s called Shadows of the Past, in the Sons of the emperor anthology.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

pentyne posted:

The fluff has always been inconsistent with the "wiping out all knowledge of Chaos".

Cain runs into Chaos all the time and knows how the chaos gods work, to the point of advising the IG commanders to not interfere when he sees Khorne chaos marines attacking other chaos troops because he knows the gods have their petty squabbles.

Cain is dating an inquisitor and is also a hero of the imperium, factors which combine well when it comes to having a little leeway and not getting purged. Cain is also one of the few commissars in the setting blessed with genre awareness and a degree of common sense exceeding that of an over-ripened tomato.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Do you remember when that shithead comissar tried to indict Cain for desertion? Good times.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 13, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Roboute talks publicly (like to civilians) about Mortarion being his brother after he wakes up, and Ultramar fought against Nurgle for 100 years or some poo poo. Knowledge of Chaos will depend on where you are, most of the Imperium population probably doesn't know what the Imperium even is, but plenty of people will have that knowledge especially in the more rational places.

The Grey Knights poo poo has always seemed dumb to me. They had IG from Armageddon, who were now battle-hardened veterans against Chaos, and had helped them defeat Angron. That's such an asset, at worst they could have purged anyone suspected of taint or future taint, and kept the rest as a Inquisition Stormtrooper detachment that isn't allowed to go back to their old lives or talk to civilians. Or they could have sent all of them on a suicide mission with some kind of strategic value. Instead they just open fire on the IG ships in front of the Space Wolves who kill their Grand Master and like 100 irreplaceable snowflake Grey Knights.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Its almost as if the Inquisition is a bunch of hypocritical dicks. AIAB

More seriously, I always figured the Grey Knights needed to not be known publicly to keep them out of humanity's hearts and minds. Like they'd lose their effectiveness if enough people knew there were these super potent anti daemon Space Marines. Diluting their plot shields so to speak. Or that the teeming mass's subconsciouses aren't aware of the GK probably sheilds the chapter from the divinations of the warp to some degree.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Preechr posted:

Cain is dating an inquisitor and is also a hero of the imperium, factors which combine well when it comes to having a little leeway and not getting purged. Cain is also one of the few commissars in the setting blessed with genre awareness and a degree of common sense exceeding that of an over-ripened tomato.

Cain rules.

Different authors treat Chaos differently though. In the Cain novels it's influencing force you have to give yourself to.

In other books it's more like nuclear radiation, being around it too long affects you whether or not you mentally want to resist it or not. Any area the Grey Knights get called into is like the Chernobyl reactor, and anyone unprotected by their psychic shenanigans, even fanatically loyal sisters of battle, get radiation poisoning. It's certainly a more grimdark view, since faith and willpower don't matter once the radiation gets strong enough.

Meanwhile in the Cain books, he's just like "nah im good" to demons, and then Jurgen shoots them with a melta. I think Cain is resistant to the forces of Chaos because unlike most people in the Imperium, he kind of just does whatever he wants and doesn't feel repressed. He also might possibly be a living saint or something, just one that has so much self preservation that it's never been tested.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how chaos is presented in Anarch. Traitor General showed what life was like under Chaos occupation but Anarch really dives into how a culture actually perceives chaos and how it affects their daily lives.

The Mkoll chapters are so good

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

pentyne posted:

Do you remember which book this is? There’s so many they all kinda blend together in my brain, and I’d like to read one as a palate cleanser after all these Horus Heresies.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 13, 2020

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

Do you remember which book this is? There’s so many they all kinda blend together in my brain, and I’d like to read one as a pallet cleanser after all these Horus Heresies.

The Traitor's hand he casually drops it in a briefing:

The Traitor's Hand posted:

‘Sounds like a Khornate cult,’ I whispered to Kasteen and Broklaw, who looked a little puzzled, before remembering they hadn’t encountered any minions of the Ruinous Powers yet and I was probably the only one in the room with much idea of the divisions within the ranks of the Great Enemy. That was some degree of comfort, anyway. In my experience they were the easiest type of renegade to deal with, having little ambition beyond getting into combat as quickly as possible and killing as many of our people as they could before being cut down themselves. That made them particularly susceptible to ambushes and flanking attacks, which would work to our advantage, particularly if we could stick the Kastaforeans out in front as bait.

Cain forgets not everyone is fighting the worst creatures in the universe on the regular and banging an Inquisitor.

I still hope they release him as a model for 40k tabletop with his propaganda stats.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SerCypher posted:

Cain rules.

Different authors treat Chaos differently though. In the Cain novels it's influencing force you have to give yourself to.

In other books it's more like nuclear radiation, being around it too long affects you whether or not you mentally want to resist it or not. Any area the Grey Knights get called into is like the Chernobyl reactor, and anyone unprotected by their psychic shenanigans, even fanatically loyal sisters of battle, get radiation poisoning. It's certainly a more grimdark view, since faith and willpower don't matter once the radiation gets strong enough.

Meanwhile in the Cain books, he's just like "nah im good" to demons, and then Jurgen shoots them with a melta. I think Cain is resistant to the forces of Chaos because unlike most people in the Imperium, he kind of just does whatever he wants and doesn't feel repressed. He also might possibly be a living saint or something, just one that has so much self preservation that it's never been tested.

Isn't is also that Cain is continually in the presence of an especially powerful blank?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

von Metternich posted:

I think technically his last words, that we know about, are in that short story where he becomes a Vengance shadow demon and fucks up lorgar. But yeah, it’s pretty stupid

Miguel Prado posted:

I forget the name of the story but I think Guilmon could cook up a suit of armor to contain the Raven demon thing.

Also, I like to think Lorgar begged Corax to gently caress off and stop loving everything up, and he just replies, "Never. More!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love how chaos is presented in Anarch. Traitor General showed what life was like under Chaos occupation but Anarch really dives into how a culture actually perceives chaos and how it affects their daily lives.

The Mkoll chapters are so good

Hammer of Daemons i think is the name, it's by Ben Counter, felt like that specific Chaos world they were on was ANCAP/Libertarian to heck.

And when the society starts to eat itself alive, even more than usual, the Gods just laugh.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

Isn't is also that Cain is continually in the presence of an especially powerful blank?
I don't know about the especially powerful part, but his aide de camp Jurgen is a blank.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Galvanik posted:

I don't know about the especially powerful part, but his aide de camp Jurgen is a blank.

The only thing about Jurgen expressely stated as powerful is his body odour.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Jurgen is around a lot, but Cain also gets into all sorts of shenanigans with the warp constantly.

Sometimes Jurgen isn't there, sometimes he is.

I love how normal the Imperium is in his memoirs. My pet theory is that Cains Imperium is the real Imperium, and most books are written as historical fiction with future Humanity looking back at the dark ages of the 42nd Millenium. Some of the novels are grimdark to the point of satire, and Cain's view is a good counterpoint.

The simple pleasures of getting to a meeting early so you get the good food, and of watching the Adeptus Sororitas exercise. Cain is also one of the only characters with an actual sex drive that's not portrayed as a great moral failing that will lead him to Chaos.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah but remember Cain is in a position of extreme privilege in the Imperium. His lifestyle seeming ‘normal’ puts him in the top 0.0(like a thousand 0s)1%.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeah but remember Cain is in a position of extreme privilege in the Imperium. His lifestyle seeming ‘normal’ puts him in the top 0.0(like a thousand 0s)1%.

Oh of course, it is an interesting perspective though.

Space Marines are so far beyond normal mortal pleasures and concerns that they wouldn't even notice most of the things Cain enjoys. Inquisitors (besides Amerberly it seems) are usually so razor focused on their work and power that they have a weird view. A lot of other Guard Regiment books are just thrust from one war to the next so it's all death and killing and suffering.

Cain is high enough that he sees lots of the Imperium, but low enough that a nice drink or a good meal is a positive for him. He's also human and has a human perspective, and since he worries more about himself instead of the fate of the Imperium and the God Emperor he can enjoy time off and drink booze and chase women. He also has such a reputation that 95% of the time he can just sit in the command center and drink tea while the battle goes on, and maybe 5% of the time he has to instead go kill demons or necrons or whatever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Guardsmen at Helsreach: drat Orks took my face, that made it personal.
Same guardsman is comforted by a female trooper, they kiss.

Black Templar, Grimaldus: Madness.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The one thing that never ever got touched on again after the Iron Snakes books was that space marine blood acts as some sort of weird longevity and anti-radiation drug when given to humans.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 13, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Telsa Cola posted:

The one thing that never ever got touched on again after the Iron Snakes books was that space marine blood acts as some sort of weird longevity and anti-radation drug when given to humans.

Good luck getting anywhere near a Space Marine to ask. And I'll say a prayer right now for you if you actually do.

e;
I guess a Salamander might give it a thought and not outright turn you into fine mist and chunked meats.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What about Space Marine cum?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Biplane posted:

What about Space Marine cum?

Sadly Male Compensation Theory makes it clear that Space Marines have absolutely no penis.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

The one thing that never ever got touched on again after the Iron Snakes books was that space marine blood acts as some sort of weird longevity and anti-radiation drug when given to humans.

Haha that's amazing. Is that where Juve-nat treatments come from?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Kaal posted:

Sadly Male Compensation Theory makes it clear that Space Marines have absolutely no penis.

The main character in Emperor’s Gift has a huge dick, as per the shower scene.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

I want to receive the emperor's gift.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerCypher posted:

There’s a ton of different juvenat treatments, that’s probably one of them. One baseline human character in Belisarius Cawl: the Great Work lived >1,000 years using all sorts of different treatments. One of which was basically the plot of The Dark Crystal: extracting life essence from a peaceful xenos species until they went extinct.

Syncopated posted:

TBH it still kinda irks me that the main character could snap Angron’s Black Blade, but couldn’t just psychically crush Logan Grimnar. The dude’s tiny in comparison! I know he’s got plot armor/willpower/speed, but still... c’mon. At least say he’s got a psi-nullifying artifact or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SerCypher posted:

I thinnnnk Juve-nat is from a plant though I think im mixing my scifi settings up. There are (were) at least a couple different treatments, one of which used to be the ground up remains of a now dead alien species that was an Imperial protecterate for a time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Telsa Cola posted:

I thinnnnk Juve-nat is from a plant though I think im mixing my scifi settings up. There are (were) at least a couple different treatments, one of which used to be the ground up remains of a now dead alien species that was an Imperial protecterate for a time.

We literally juiced them all into extinction.
And that's just one form of rejuvenation, a very potent one but no longer in production. If you do find a dose or something, it'll rival an unopened Crystal Pepsi or Ecto cooler.

Precious bodily fluids.

e;
The most effective treatment available is basically stem cell therapy(s). The imperium just juices human babies now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Guardsmen at Helsreach: drat Orks took my face, that made it personal.
Same guardsman is comforted by a female trooper, they kiss.

Black Templar, Grimaldus: Madness.

I thought it was Bayard that was going on about how he didn't understand humans. Maybe it was both of them, been a minute since I read the book.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

We literally juiced them all into extinction.
And that's just one form of rejuvenation, a very potent one but no longer in production. If you do find a dose or something, it'll rival an unopened Crystal Pepsi or Ecto cooler.

Precious bodily fluids.

e;
The most effective treatment available is basically stem cell therapy(s). The imperium just juices human babies now.

I know I brought it up but can you please stop talking about Space Marine cum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought it was Bayard that was going on about how he didn't understand humans. Maybe it was both of them, been a minute since I read the book.

Bayard is dismissive and condescending of the humans at Helsreach, Grimaldus tells him to stop being such an rear end in a top hat and have some humility.

Grimaldus has humility and respect, just doesn't understand the human condition and all.