Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

As opposed to the beautiful multi-chapter bouts that make up the rest of the Strawhats vs. Blackbeards finale, Sanji just gets repeatedly punched in the face by Burgess for two pages and is never seen again.

I kinda feel like Sanji’s massive hate-boner for Zoro wouldn’t let him get beaten by another guy who’s also obsessed with being super swole and relies mostly on brute force to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThingOne posted:

I prefer not to. The way Nami and Robin get treated ruins an otherwise good movie for me.

Z probably ruins Film Z for me more than anything.

Dude has the most basic-rear end backstory (family killed by pirates so he mad), tries to genocide the Grand Line, completely no sells everything Luffy does to him in a fight until he just falls over from being tired, and then gets a heroic sacrifice without every really admitting he's wrong or being confronted with the fact that his plan is stupid?

What a hero

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Dude has the most basic-rear end backstory (family killed by pirates so he mad), tries to genocide the Grand Line, completely no sells everything Luffy does to him in a fight until he just falls over from being tired, and then gets a heroic sacrifice without every really admitting he's wrong or being confronted with the fact that his plan is stupid?

What a hero
Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I watched that movie, but I remember it being more that it was just sad that a Marine hero fell to such depths as Z did. And the sad end was more about the people that once looked up to him being heartbroken at having to put Z down like a dog with rabies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheLoneStar posted:

Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I watched that movie, but I remember it being more that it was just sad that a Marine hero fell to such depths as Z did. And the sad end was more about the people that once looked up to him being heartbroken at having to put Z down like a dog with rabies.

That is absolutely not how it's presented in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2scweUR9g

"Leave the rest to me, the guy who was going to kill everyone in the Grand Line with supervolcanos!"

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the OP movies have the same problem with the DBZ movies where they crib random character moments and events for pointless payoffs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

An issue I have with them is that they have a lot of side character just kinda appear for the sake of appearing. Did Sabo really need to be in Stampede? Do we really need to know what Lucci is up to right now?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
they also share the DBZ movie problem where all the good fights are in the middle of the movie and then the rest of the movie is buildup to one big disappointing one

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Blockhouse posted:

What a hero

There's more to it than that. Losing his family made him throw everything he had into his job as a Marine Instructor to fill the hole in his life; what made him go completely nihilistic was losing an entire ship of new recruits and his arm to a pirate and seeing that pirate get a pat on the back and a job from the World Government. Just look at the scene where his forces are approaching the final island and they're all just lying around staring at the deck, they're obviously not happy with their plan but it's the only way they can think of ending the threat of pirates once and for all.

I'd say the reason he doesn't seem to take much damage fighting Luffy at first is because beating him isn't really the point of the fight at that point, it's bringing him back from the brink by reminding him of his dream of being a hero. It's when this is done and the Battle Smasher, the symbol of his loss and pain, is destroyed that the real final battle begins and it a simple slugfest with both fighters become visibly more exhausted as it drags on. I think we're supposed to find his sacrifice more bittersweet than heroic, he can't atone for the pain he caused but at least he went out as his old self in the end and helped someone who can actually make a difference move forward. But I'm just rambling.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

My opinion of Sanji might be coloured by the fact that I'm a female reader, but I really don't like him at all. He's the only straw hat I wouldn't want to meet*. I'd rather hang out with Franky. People call him a pervert and a weirdo but I feel like he probably has genuinely good opinions about respecting people. Also nipple lasers.

Brook has that awful "can I see your panties?" shtick but he drops it and instantly becomes polite if you ignore it or punch him in the head. Maybe I'm just going easy on him because it's very hard to dislike a skeleton.

*Well, okay, I would like to try that anime food

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was gonna say something before, but it is pretty bizarre/sad that we’re at the point where the literal old man often asking to peep a pair of panties comes across as less lecherous than Sanji. It probably helps that Brook doesn’t ask literally every attractive female and is more prevalent as the “walking talking afro skeleton that makes a skele-ton of dad jokes about being dead” though

Also, I gotta say, personally, making GBS threads on post-skip Sanji is on the higher end of NEW CHAPTER WHEN discussions in these threads over the years, but maybe it’s because I enjoy dunking on post-skip Sanji. :v:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I was gonna say something before, but it is pretty bizarre/sad that we’re at the point where the literal old man often asking to peep a pair of panties comes across as less lecherous than Sanji. It probably helps that Brook doesn’t ask literally every attractive female and is more prevalent as the “walking talking afro skeleton that makes a skele-ton of dad jokes about being dead” though

I think being a funny joke skeleton is part of it, but as someone pointed out a few posts ago, Sanji wanting invisibility powers so he can be a peeping tom really changes the tone of his fixation on women and makes it much uglier. Brook blatantly asking characters if he can see their underwear is nasty but also completely ridiculous and is supposed to provoke a "what the hell, Brook, you can't just say that" reaction, as opposed to the genuinely super creepy Sanji who tries to pass himself off as chivalrous and a champion of women.

I do wish that Brook joke would get dropped and I do think it lessens his character, but at least it comes across as a joke (even if it's bad and unfunny).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eiba posted:

Thriller Bark. It was Thriller Bark where Sanji was consumed by his side gimmick.

Before then it was, as often as not, it was him being goofy, but kind towards a woman. It was pretty creepy if you thought about it, but essentially him just being kind and attentive.

Thriller Bark sets up a vile villain who abuses his power to sexually assault women. This understandably infuriates Sanji. How dare he use his power to take advantage of women. But the twist is that he's really mad because he's jealous. It's a joke that completely ruins his character. He doesn't wish he could protect women against sexual assault, he wishes he had that opportunity himself. How loving funny. :geno:

The gag gets worse and more mean spirited from there on, but that's the moment where you have to realize that every time he's got hearts in his eyes going forward, he doesn't actually give a poo poo about women, he's just got a boner and he's an rear end in a top hat.

I actually realized that not long after the post, and you're spot on. That lovely moment really was the exact point I stopped liking Sanji and his writing stopped really caring about most of his motivation in favor of his weird pervert stuff. And it's a shame because with a small change to that entire bit by simply not having him also want to be a weird creep he wouldn't suck as hard.

Last Celebration posted:

This is gonna be real weird, but part of it might be because he's a skeleton and it's why a lot of similar character archetypes are less weird than, say, your standard old man being a pervert. Because a goofy skeleton probably isn't asking about panties to jerk off to them in private just off panel or something. It'd be similar to having him be a robot or a stone statue even if he is coded male.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Libra posted:

I think being a funny joke skeleton is part of it, but as someone pointed out a few posts ago, Sanji wanting invisibility powers so he can be a peeping tom really changes the tone of his fixation on women and makes it much uglier. Brook blatantly asking characters if he can see their underwear is nasty but also completely ridiculous and is supposed to provoke a "what the hell, Brook, you can't just say that" reaction, as opposed to the genuinely super creepy Sanji who tries to pass himself off as chivalrous and a champion of women.

I do wish that Brook joke would get dropped and I do think it lessens his character, but at least it comes across as a joke (even if it's bad and unfunny).

Thing is that joke doesnt define his character, its a very small aspect of brook.
Hes not a lecher who is sometimes a musical skeleton
Hes a musical skeleton who is sometimes lecherous.

As opposed to Sanji's lecher who is sometimes a chef.
Bring back Mr. Prince is what im saying.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Brook asking an Emperor if he could see her panties was pretty drat funny. Though I just don't mind the gag and Brook is probably my second or third favorite Straw Hat.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’m willing to cut Brook a bit more slack because it’s a smaller part of his character and it feels like a derangement he picked up after being isolated for decades.

Also the Big Mom bit was a great payoff for that.

Edit: I know that the anime is a chore, but my god if Ian Sinclair doesn’t grandslam his part out of the park when he’s doing Brook in the English dub. The way he drops his tone when he does his skull jokes is delightful.

https://youtu.be/i2O56Ge_W1w

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 15, 2020

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

All the Wano exposition has made this scene exponentially more funny. Days after watching his lord boil alive, Kinemon is a floating torso fighting a talking skeleton.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cat Machine posted:

- Outmatched two of Big Mom's commanders
- Took out one of the Flying Six

When did he do this.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

i am tim! posted:

I’m willing to cut Brook a bit more slack because it’s a smaller part of his character and it feels like a derangement he picked up after being isolated for decades.

Also the Big Mom bit was a great payoff for that.

Edit: I know that the anime is a chore, but my god if Ian Sinclair doesn’t grandslam his part out of the park when he’s doing Brook in the English dub. The way he drops his tone when he does his skull jokes is delightful.

https://youtu.be/i2O56Ge_W1w

I almost thought Funimation stopped after Fishman Island since, you know, who the gently caress pays money to watch the One Piece anime past that point, but I’m sure glad they didn’t, cause that sure put a giant smile on my face.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, they kinda did for a while. The dub only pretty recently restarted production with Punk Hazard.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

There's more to it than that. Losing his family made him throw everything he had into his job as a Marine Instructor to fill the hole in his life; what made him go completely nihilistic was losing an entire ship of new recruits and his arm to a pirate and seeing that pirate get a pat on the back and a job from the World Government.

Did it ever get confirmed who exactly cut off Z's arm and slaughtered his crew? My bet is on Doflamingo, but I couldn't find a source confirming either way.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Did it ever get confirmed who exactly cut off Z's arm and slaughtered his crew? My bet is on Doflamingo, but I couldn't find a source confirming either way.

The pirate was invited to join the Warlords during the timeskip so assuming they accepted it could only be Buggy, Weevil, or Law. At this point I don't think it was any of them and whoever attacked his ship refused the invitation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, kinda curious what’s gonna happen with Weevil now that he’s not just dumb muscle. Wasn’t it a thing that his mom duped him into beating up super strong guys in the name of his “dad” to become a Warlord?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Should I read or watch One Piece? I've got a Shonen Jump sub right now to read Yugioh but there are so many chapters of this it's daunting

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

short answer: yes

loud answer: YES

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Len posted:

Should I read or watch One Piece? I've got a Shonen Jump sub right now to read Yugioh but there are so many chapters of this it's daunting

I would reccomend reading it, but the anime is a decent until about the end of the Enis Lobby arc. Then it becomes badly paced and ruins so many jokes, so you'll want to switch to the manga regardless.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

One Piece reads shockingly fast for how long it is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Len posted:

Read it, for sure. The anime is good for a while and then gets terrible, but honestly reading it is a better experience overall. It goes so much faster, and with the shonen jump app you get all the reader questions too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Len posted:

Give it a try. It's not like it's something you have to get through all at once. Read the first few arcs. If you enjoy it, then there's a lot ahead for you to enjoy.

I get the length being intimidating, but the length is really one of it's assets. If you enjoy it there's a lot ahead for you to enjoy, because the quality never lets up. There are dips here and there, but if you enjoy it by chapter 100, you're going to be enjoying it to chapter 1000. Some manga peter out and feel like they were a waste of time in retrospect. One Piece does not.

Reading it is what you'll have to do eventually 'cause the anime really does nosedive eventually, but if you want to watch some of it you'll get to hear all the characters voices, and they're pretty good voices.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

You should transition to reading eventually, but the anime is a good way to experience it for a long while, the OST is top tier and the early chunks of “filler” feel super faithful to the source material, like I legit couldn’t believe the anime version of Zoro’s flashback was like 80% made up because it’s so much better than what we got in the manga.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

When did he do this.

He toppled Page One after he put on the Raid Suit.

He also clowned on Oven with one kick that was so fast that Oven couldn't even see him. Oven; a noted observation Haki user.

Sanji also was able to parry Daifuku's genie after it grew gigantic. Which was pretty impressive since the genie was basically the size of the Sunny at that point.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, they kinda did for a while. The dub only pretty recently restarted production with Punk Hazard.
Wasn't it over some kind licensing issue that made them stop that was only settled last year? Then I think they did a T.V. special or two. Now I think it halted again due to the Pandemic.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Last Celebration posted:

You should transition to reading eventually, but the anime is a good way to experience it for a long while, the OST is top tier and the early chunks of “filler” feel super faithful to the source material, like I legit couldn’t believe the anime version of Zoro’s flashback was like 80% made up because it’s so much better than what we got in the manga.

ya id say the anime is good up through around episode 325ish. after that i'd switch over to the manga.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

On a related topic, as someone who reads the manga and mostly can't stand the anime, are there any anime bits you'd consider definitely worth watching?
Brook and the Rumbar pirates playing Bink's Sake for the last time comes to mind.

I really do wish the anime was better because I enjoy the character voices and there are a lot of scenes that I would like to see in motion, but......

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will say the joke involving Pica's voice being uncharacteristically high works better in the anime though (or was that an anime only addition? If not, how did it work in the manga?)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Libra posted:

are there any anime bits you'd consider definitely worth watching?

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Libra posted:

On a related topic, as someone who reads the manga and mostly can't stand the anime, are there any anime bits you'd consider definitely worth watching?
Brook and the Rumbar pirates playing Bink's Sake for the last time comes to mind.

I really do wish the anime was better because I enjoy the character voices and there are a lot of scenes that I would like to see in motion, but......

pretty much all of the major fights up to dressrosa (bellamy and blueno are probably my favorites). most of the big emotional and high point moments like luffy punching charlos and everything leading up to arlong's defeat.

maybe worth watching them via onepace instead. its been a while but i really enjoyed those parts.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
oh and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN7gq8Zouw

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Larryb posted:

I will say the joke involving Pica's voice being uncharacteristically high works better in the anime though (or was that an anime only addition? If not, how did it work in the manga?)

It's from the manga, characters just reacted with funny faces and said "his voice doesn't fit him at all!" IIRC.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

Huh, kinda curious what’s gonna happen with Weevil now that he’s not just dumb muscle. Wasn’t it a thing that his mom duped him into beating up super strong guys in the name of his “dad” to become a Warlord?

its poo poo like this that makes me harbor a continuing doubt for the current round of "one piece is over within 5 years" nonsense

i just dont see how its possible given what we know of oda as a storyteller by now. he doesn't introduce completely arbitrary plot threads for no reason with no pay off, and so there's still so many things that need attention, whether they take many chapter (the rest of wano as a whole, whatever luffy and shanks's deal ends up being, some sort of interaction with blackbeard, actually FINDING the one peice and learning about the void century, etc.) or countless smaller things that exist more in the background (fallout from this shichibukai dismantling, weevil and his whole schtick, whats going on with gecko moria, why in the world is aokiji with blackbeard now, etc).

assuming any given entry in the former category has something like 65-80 chapters and that there's at least 3 plot threads that don't overlap heavily (like shanks/elbaf/blackbeard could all kinda be one story, i guess) we're looking at something like 200+ chapters right there which is five years alone. then if all the other little threads require anywhere between 3-10 chapters of story i can't see how those don't add on another few years themselves, + any sort of epilogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
i think oda's just gonna drop a few plot threads