Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mokinokaro posted:

Overall, yeah. I still don't mind most of Vimes' look though.

Vimes looks pretty good, I thought they really nailed the eternally rumpled look he's got in the books. Carrot is not bad either, although the actor has that Nordic look about him when I've always pictured Carrot as more square-jawed American-looking.

The rest of them may as well be entirely different characters. I can't be the first person to ask why on earth they cast Lady Sybil as skinny, twenties, and hot when they're still casting Vimes as a grizzled 40s-50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phenotype posted:

I can't be the first person to ask why on earth they cast Lady Sybil as skinny, twenties, and hot when they're still casting Vimes as a grizzled 40s-50s.

A lot of Pratchett’s characters are middle aged and ordinary looking; its part of his world view to focus on people who don’t double as supermodels in their down time.

Is there a big pool of middle aged ordinary looking actors or do they get weeded out of the profession in their 20s because they’re not hot enough to get roles?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

A lot of Pratchett’s characters are middle aged and ordinary looking; its part of his world view to focus on people who don’t double as supermodels in their down time.

Is there a big pool of middle aged ordinary looking actors or do they get weeded out of the profession in their 20s because they’re not hot enough to get roles?

The UK has plenty of ordinary-looking character actors; the likes of Ricky Tomlinson, John Henshaw, Ralph Ineson, Jerome Flynn, Rory Kinnear, and so on. It's harder for women, but there's still some very good work being done on prime-time soaps.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Plus you have Angua, Sally, and Carrot for the attractive people quota in the Watch.

Speaking of, I notice a lot of drawings and I believe the live action adaptations have Angua with straight hair. Maybe I never read the original descriptions clearly and my headcanon is all wrong, but I always thought she had/imagined her with long wavy or even wild hair.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Vimes looks pretty good, I thought they really nailed the eternally rumpled look he's got in the books. Carrot is not bad either, although the actor has that Nordic look about him when I've always pictured Carrot as more square-jawed American-looking.

The rest of them may as well be entirely different characters. I can't be the first person to ask why on earth they cast Lady Sybil as skinny, twenties, and hot when they're still casting Vimes as a grizzled 40s-50s.

The picture in the last page with Carrot, Leonard, and Rincewind makes me think that John Cena would be great casting for Carrot. Dwayne Johnson too, but I love him in everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phenotype posted:

The inclusion of Carcer in the cast makes me assume they’re speed running to Night Watch, so having young Sybil makes sense there. Or maybe they’re going to open with Night Watch as an origin story for Vimes?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Serperoth posted:

The picture in the last page with Carrot, Leonard, and Rincewind makes me think that John Cena would be great casting for Carrot. Dwayne Johnson too, but I love him in everything.

Now that you say it, John Cena is very nearly exactly the mental image I have had of Carrot since I first read the books.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The replies on this are amazing, I think I can see only one positive reply? I’ve not seen backlash like this since the Sonic trailer that first came out.

https://twitter.com/mrsimonallen/status/1292746396270055434

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hot take: All the faithful adaptations kinda sucks, so maybe a less faithful one will be good.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Hot take: All the faithful adaptations kinda sucks, so maybe a less faithful one will be good.

I'd argue that all the live-action adaptations so far have been faithful only on the most shallow appearances level, and have otherwise spectacularly missed the point. I'm still prepared to wait to confirm that this sucks before declaring that it sucks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The magic in a Discworld book is the inner monologue of the characters and the narration. They don't make good adaptations because of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

Not a hot take: you're so full of poo poo that you don't socially distance, you obey zoning regulations. The Cosgrove Hall animations were good, Hogfather and Going Postal were good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Beefeater1980 posted:

they're called "character actors"
https://twitter.com/bobo_circus/status/1244626463548203010

Alhazred posted:

I sort of agree with this, except that so far this adaptation seems weird and probably bad for reasons other than unfaithfulness.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Plus you have Angua, Sally, and Carrot for the attractive people quota in the Watch.

Speaking of, I notice a lot of drawings and I believe the live action adaptations have Angua with straight hair. Maybe I never read the original descriptions clearly and my headcanon is all wrong, but I always thought she had/imagined her with long wavy or even wild hair.

She's blonde on the few covers I found her on, yeah, but I also checked her first appearance in a book:

quote:

Lance-Constable Angua scanned the hazy horizon.

She smiled.

Carrot blushed.

Constable Angua had mastered saluting first go. She wouldn’t have a full uniform yet, not until someone had taken a, well, let’s face it, a breastplate along to old Remitt the armorer and told him to beat it out really well here and here, and no helmet in the world would cover all that mass of ash-blond hair but, it occurred to Carrot, Constable Angua wouldn’t need any of that stuff really. People would be queuing up to get arrested.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I imagined her with wavy hair too, that doesn't conflict with her being blonde.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

VanSandman posted:

The magic in a Discworld book is the inner monologue of the characters and the narration. They don't make good adaptations because of it.

agreed, it's not possible to make a good adaptation of his works

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jedit posted:

Not a hot take: you're so full of poo poo that you don't socially distance, you obey zoning regulations. The Cosgrove Hall animations were good, Hogfather and Going Postal were good.

you are a prime example of a type of people this forum is unfortunately teeming with. you people have built your personality around consumer products, and think that criticisms of the products are personal attacks

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Love or hate the Going Postal Adaptation, I'm pretty happy with their take on Angua.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Love or hate the Going Postal Adaptation, I'm pretty happy with their take on Angua.

Because of patriotic reasons I have to agree:norway:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

American-looking.

I... what :confused:

What is "American-looking"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I've ever read a book and formed an idea of what a character's hair is like unless it was somehow instrumental to the story.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I... what :confused:

What is "American-looking"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah well you know he's American because he's got a dollar.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's always weird when they cast black people as wealthy WASP socialites who's family clearly made their fortunes off of slavery and exploitation.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Is Arnold American looking? Cause I pictured carrot like him

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Terror Sweat posted:

Is Arnold American looking? Cause I pictured carrot like him

“American looking” is a very very fraught term and as an American I am deeply nervous about any attempt to define it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

The_Doctor posted:

The inclusion of Carcer in the cast makes me assume they’re speed running to Night Watch, so having young Sybil makes sense there. Or maybe they’re going to open with Night Watch as an origin story for Vimes?

They've cast John Keel as well, so it's definitely where their focus is.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain_Person posted:

They've cast John Keel as well, so it's definitely where their focus is.

It was always my aspiration to be cast as a corpse.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

thetoughestbean posted:

“American looking” is a very very fraught term and as an American I am deeply nervous about any attempt to define it.

Oof, I really didn't intend to go there at all, I just meant that Carrot's actor has Nordic features and I always picture him as more, yeah, Arnold-looking with the square jaw. You're very right that "American" is probably not the best way to describe that.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Just picture Chris Evans with ginger air as Carrot.
Not another teen movie Chris Evans.
Oh poo poo Billy bob Thornton as Nobby.
No wait, Steve buscemi as Nobby.
No wait...Walton goggins.nailed it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Just picture Chris Evans with ginger air as Carrot.
Not another teen movie Chris Evans.

Andy Serkis doing the mocap for Nobby

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

thetoughestbean posted:

Andy Serkis doing the mocap for Nobby

Nobby is technically human so it would be against his brand.
To bad Brian blessed is too old, he would be a great archchancellor .
"BUUURSAAARRR!"

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
My choice for Carrot would be Tom Hopper, since he combines a boyish face with the body of a cartoon strongman.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know that Pterry, and rightly so, said he imagined Alan Rickman as Vetinari.
Other than that, had he ever mentioned anything with regards to his dream castings for characters? I imagine if he did it would have been long enough ago that the actors have since aged out of being suitable and/or are sadly now dead, but yeah.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Other than that, had he ever mentioned anything with regards to his dream castings for characters? I imagine if he did it would have been long enough ago that the actors have since aged out of being suitable and/or are sadly now dead, but yeah.

pete postlethwaite as vimes, iirc

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Pete Postlethwaite was mentioned as Vimes I believe.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for Nobby and Colon and I don't care you know in your hearts I am right

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for Nobby and Colon and I don't care you know in your hearts I am right

It's always Reg Hollis and Tony Stamp off The Bill for people of a certain age from the UK, sorry

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Asgerd posted:

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.

This is a good call