Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Is it possible that over time the refrigerant can "leak" out of a system that doesn't actually have a real leak?
Similar to how a tire will eventually lose air over time, without actually having a hole in it?

Car is an 09 Corolla, that I bought new, and will be 12 years old in a month or so. Never had to do anything to the AC, but it *seems* like its not performing as good as I "think I remember it performing".

Yes. The rubber hoses are called "barrier hoses", and are slightly refrigerant-permeable. 10 years is a reasonable amount of time to expect diminished performance due to low charge weight in the average passenger vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

GOD IS BED posted:

I just did this a few months ago on my brother's 09 Versa. I didn't drill any holes like the other goon did, just followed a video online (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol27YiguHXQ). We did have to pull the door card off, which wasn't hard. The toughest part was reaching inside the door to detach the latch and reattach it. I learned the door handles would come off if the cover over the lock (or where a lock would be if not on the driver's door) was damaged, and judging by how rare those parts were on the other Versas in the junkyard, it's a common problem. I snagged the few I could find and popped one on my bro's car. Maybe 45 minutes of work if you're completely inexperienced and less than $5 for the repair.

Yeah mine was coming off even with the lock cover installed. The handle was coming off almost every time I tried opening the door so I had no choice but to do something a little more involved.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Motronic posted:

Yes. The rubber hoses are called "barrier hoses", and are slightly refrigerant-permeable. 10 years is a reasonable amount of time to expect diminished performance due to low charge weight in the average passenger vehicle.

Is that an actual use case for the recharge kits at Wal-Mart/AutoZone or do you still need a real shop to recharge the refrigerant if you don't want to do a full DIY process like I saw in the thread about it years ago but barely remember?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that an actual use case for the recharge kits at Wal-Mart/AutoZone or do you still need a real shop to recharge the refrigerant if you don't want to do a full DIY process like I saw in the thread about it years ago but barely remember?

No recharging should be done without a proper set of manifold gauges. Those refill kits do not provide that. You are just blindly chucking in refrigerant without any real idea of whether the system is functioning properly and trying to divine how much is "enough" with only half of the normal information available.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fair enough, I'll have a shop do it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GOD IS BED posted:

I just did this a few months ago on my brother's 09 Versa. I didn't drill any holes like the other goon did, just followed a video online (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol27YiguHXQ). We did have to pull the door card off, which wasn't hard. The toughest part was reaching inside the door to detach the latch and reattach it. I learned the door handles would come off if the cover over the lock (or where a lock would be if not on the driver's door) was damaged, and judging by how rare those parts were on the other Versas in the junkyard, it's a common problem. I snagged the few I could find and popped one on my bro's car. Maybe 45 minutes of work if you're completely inexperienced and less than $5 for the repair.

That's probably exactly what it was then because the cover over the lock fell off a couple weeks ago

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

No recharging should be done without a proper set of manifold gauges. Those refill kits do not provide that. You are just blindly chucking in refrigerant without any real idea of whether the system is functioning properly and trying to divine how much is "enough" with only half of the normal information available.

With those kits, would it be valid to say there's an issue with the compressor if the refrigerant level is good or is more diagnosis needed?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Minto Took posted:

With those kits, would it be valid to say there's an issue with the compressor if the refrigerant level is good or is more diagnosis needed?

Thats the problem. You cannot tell for certain with the single gauge recharge kits, because it is only showing you suction side pressure.

EDIT: also with a gauge that doesn't tell you the actual pressure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Minto Took posted:

You have no idea what the refrigerant level is with one of those kits.

Hell, you don't even know how much is necessarily in there with a manifold gauge. You're estimating using charts based on manufacturer specs and physics.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Juice that baby up, more pressure more cool

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so i've got a 2014 hyundai sonata and just had to replace a bulb in the headlight. This got me wondering, how hard is it to install LED lights and is that expensive?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ramadu posted:

so i've got a 2014 hyundai sonata and just had to replace a bulb in the headlight. This got me wondering, how hard is it to install LED lights and is that expensive?

At the moment it's not a great idea. It won't create a proper beam pattern in a halogen housing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ramadu posted:

What lights? Headlights? If there wasn't a factory option for that it's impossible to do properly. If there was it's gonna be expensive (parts) and easy labor.

Everything else? You can try replacing incandescents with LEDs but it's really not worth it in a lot of cases to to a variety of reasons in my experience.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Yeah headlights. I don't know if there was a factory option for it honestly, I was given the car by my brother. I was just thinking about it when i got the new bulb.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it dangerous to carry a bunch (5 or so) of the used little green gas propane cylinders? More so than full ones I mean? Hypothetically they'd be all used up but I don't know if some gets stuck in there a little. I know sometimes vapors are worse than liquid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charles posted:

Is it dangerous to carry a bunch (5 or so) of the used little green gas propane cylinders? More so than full ones I mean? Hypothetically they'd be all used up but I don't know if some gets stuck in there a little. I know sometimes vapors are worse than liquid.

Like for hand torches? We're not even allowed to leave an "empty" one lying around at work, they're supposed to be taken to maintenence to be properly sorted.

But knowing those guys they likely take them home and toss them in a bonfire.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Charles posted:

What do you have planned for them? I take empties back to Walmart and leave them with the person that collects the big cylinders outside of garden center.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

What country are you in/what cylinder style and size? Because propane isn't green in the US (that's oxygen) so I don't really know what you're talking about.

If by "little" you mean small handheld disposable cylinders it's fine. If they're larger/heavier the real concern is keeping them strapped down during transport. Depending on the style it could be a pretty big deal to make sure the valve doesn't get damaged.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

he means the 1-lb coleman style "camping gas" cylinders. they are usually a dark green.

the main danger with those is if the valve on the top is leaking, it can leak gas into your car, which is an enclosed space.

those cylinders are meant to be disposable, so the valves are cheaply made.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

he means the 1-lb coleman style "camping gas" cylinders. they are usually a dark green.

Oh those things. Yeah. Put them in a box and leave the windows down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just make sure they're empty to the point they won't run a blowtorch anymore and then poke a hole in them with the drill. Let them air out a few minutes and they're scrap metal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
OK, stupid question time. What's the most current anyone's ever seen run through a factory fuel/oil/temp gauge sender? I'm designing something I almost kind of hope to sell to people at some point, instead of just using it myself, and I don't want it catching fire if someone hooks it to a car that runs more current through the sender element than I expected, but also don't want to make the BOM 30 dollars more expensive than it needs to be by bulletproofing it.

I'm guessing somewhere in the range of 100mA, but I have ZERO evidence for that and it makes me nervous.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stupid question about my '07 Corolla.

I removed the rear bumper. Does this bumper foam need to be replaced? It's mostly intact, just really old and that metal bar is rusted out. What I'm more interested in are these "nubs". One has broken off.

That nub is supposed to fit into this hole.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

melon cat posted:

Stupid question about my '07 Corolla.

I removed the rear bumper. Does this bumper foam need to be replaced? It's mostly intact, just really old and that metal bar is rusted out. What I'm more interested in are these "nubs". One has broken off.

That nub is supposed to fit into this hole.

Is the foam damaged beyond that nub (it doesn't appear to be)? My wager is that nub is just a positioning tool to make it easier to install to the impact bar and/or the bumper cover. I'd slap some two sided tape to it and call it a day.

I'm probably going to regret asking, but what inspired you to take the bumper cover off?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

Is the foam damaged beyond that nub (it doesn't appear to be)? My wager is that nub is just a positioning tool to make it easier to install to the impact bar and/or the bumper cover. I'd slap some two sided tape to it and call it a day.

I'm probably going to regret asking, but what inspired you to take the bumper cover off?

Foam isn't damaged beyond that nub.

The rear quarter panel got scratched (down to the bare metal) last year and the exposed metal is starting to rust. I removed the rear bumper so I could better access the damage to do some sanding, bondo-ing, repainting to stop the rust from spreading. Wishing I did this sooner because the rust and paint chipping has spread quickly.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 17, 2020

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Motronic posted:

The parts store. They'll even give you some else's that they've already rebuilt.

Thats the problem, this is an AC compressor for an Autozam AZ-1 those parts aren't on this side of the planet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wargames posted:

Thats the problem, this is an AC compressor for an Autozam AZ-1 those parts aren't on this side of the planet.

Are you sure? The last time I needed an AC compressor for something weird it crossed over to a Denso unit that was being used on ag tractors in the 90s. Was able to get a rebuilt unit from a farm equipment place. Cheap.

Considering this is a Japanese car, I'd be willing to bet it's a Nippon Denso unit too. See if you can find a data plate on it with a model, part or other numbers on it. I'll see if I can cross ref it for you, or at least figure out if it's going to use common parts that a rebuild shop here would even have in stock.

In a tiny car like that it wouldn't surprise me to find it being the same/similar enough to the kinds of stuff on skid steers or smaller tractors. You might need to move some brackets or fittings over, but chances are good something will cross. Because, no matter how hard the parts are to come by for that car, ain't nobody designing an AC compressor specifically for one vehicle application.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 17, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Autozam AZ1 shouldn't have ac anyway, strip all the comfort bits

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah get rid of those seats and get some milk crates.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Is installing a screen a bad idea in a cooling system?

Near the heater core input a plastic pipe I was replacing broke off in the hose. I think I got most of it but there could be some pieces somewhere upstream I can't get to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Is installing a screen a bad idea in a cooling system?

Near the heater core input a plastic pipe I was replacing broke off in the hose. I think I got most of it but there could be some pieces somewhere upstream I can't get to.

Cooling system filters are absolutely a thing: https://www.jegs.com/p/Champion-Cooling-Systems/Champion-Cooling-Systems-Inline-Coolant-Filters/3629311/10002/-1

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

taqueso posted:

Autozam AZ1 shouldn't have ac anyway, strip all the comfort bits

Have you been in an AZ-1 or driven one? You need AC otherwise you die from heatstroke in 10 seconds even if you have the covers for the upper glass. There is zero airflow in that thing.

AZ-1 is meant to LOOK fast, it isn't actually. It also weighs as much as a couple of Costco bags of dogfood as it is.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Motronic posted:

Are you sure? The last time I needed an AC compressor for something weird it crossed over to a Denso unit that was being used on ag tractors in the 90s. Was able to get a rebuilt unit from a farm equipment place. Cheap.

Considering this is a Japanese car, I'd be willing to bet it's a Nippon Denso unit too. See if you can find a data plate on it with a model, part or other numbers on it. I'll see if I can cross ref it for you, or at least figure out if it's going to use common parts that a rebuild shop here would even have in stock.

In a tiny car like that it wouldn't surprise me to find it being the same/similar enough to the kinds of stuff on skid steers or smaller tractors. You might need to move some brackets or fittings over, but chances are good something will cross. Because, no matter how hard the parts are to come by for that car, ain't nobody designing an AC compressor specifically for one vehicle application.

i am 100% certain as i looked for 8 months before getting this one and it failling about 2 months of florida heat.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I'm looking for a new (used) car, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a manual as my daily driver. I'd like to try it out first, but I don't have any friends who own a manual. :unsmith: What are the chances that I regret my decision if I jump in with both feet and just buy one?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Grimes posted:

I'm looking for a new (used) car, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a manual as my daily driver. I'd like to try it out first, but I don't have any friends who own a manual. :unsmith: What are the chances that I regret my decision if I jump in with both feet and just buy one?

You can learn to drive a manual relatively quickly, but if the car has an absolute poo poo clutch or something it's going to be a lot harder. So I'd recommend something with lower miles.

I'd also recommend having someone who knows how to drive a manual transmission go with you to see how it feels, and they can drive it back for you and/or give you lessons. The only hard part of driving a manual transmission is going from a dead stop uphill. Otherwise it's pretty simple.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grimes posted:

I absolutely regretted it for the first week or two while trying to teach myself. Now, after 15 years, I absolutely regret buying a (really good) automatic and was going to buy a manual fun car on the side until, well, this year happened.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Grimes posted:

I bought my first car as a stick GTI without having ever driven a manual car before (had ridden motorcycle) and it was fine, a little rough at the start and my dad drove it the 60 miles or so home, but after that all me and I didn't even have him teaching me as he was a dick when I stalled it on the hill of my place that first day. I jumped into the fire buying a stick living in a hilly area just fine and I regret everyday I did not hold out for a stick when I bought my current Mazda3. I also commuted in the Bay Area 45 miles each way with that stick and didn't mind it at all.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 18, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bought my 'stang as a manual without knowing how to drive one. Brought my brother who does know to bring it home, then after struggling to get it to a nearby school, I spent an hour driving circles in the school parking lot to learn. The hardest part is taking off from a stop, once you get that part down you'll be good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Grimes posted:

You will learn real fast.

And you will be using both feet quite often. Once you learn you never forget.

Just find a big empty parking lot and tool around in. The clutch isn't an off-on switch.

Like was mentioned hills are fun when someone is sitting on your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Just make sure you watch a bunch of YouTube videos, not just on how to drive a manual, but I think it helps to watch videos on how the clutch actually works. I learned (decades ago now..) on an Integra GS-R which was very forgiving. I got the car from my Uncle at 150k and had the original clutch replaced at 160k probably because I kept hitting it unnecessarily.

The biggest tip for manual is to try to get the car going with just the clutch (1-2mph) and you'll get the engagement point. Once you get used to that, everything else is easy. Except big rear end hills, but you learn to use the parking brake for that.