Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Might have gotten exposed to COVID or some other disease because I left my keys in the computer cart that got dragged back in there. Only like 15 seconds and I had mask and goggles on, but still, gently caress my life.

I didn't even get to close that ticket, I never found the cart I was supposed to fix. Imagine getting permanently maimed for work and everyone is still pissed at you anyway because that scanner gun is still broken and you missed out on doing all this other work while you were hunting around for that thing.

Here lies skooma,
First the farce, then the tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Strangest Finch posted:

A lovely update from the Deep South.

Surprising no one, starting up band practices (in a county with a spiking infection rate) led to a bunch of middle school-aged kids getting sick. My boss's son and daughter among them. The son plays trombone, which if you've ever seen a brass instrument seems like an ideal way to project virus onto a nearby crowd. I don't have high hopes for the rest of the band.

Like I said, I didn't find this particularly surprising, what was surprising was that my boss decided to tell me about this while we were doing one of the very few tasks where we have to be within 10 feet of one another (I was masked, he was not) for any length of time and during the only time in maybe a month where we actually had other people around. So tests all around I guess.

I don't think it was actually malicious, I think he was just shocked to get the news and it took him a minute to process what his immediate reactions should have been. The rest of us spent the rest of the day masked up and as far from him as we could manage, he'd have gone home immediately to help calm down his son if he could have, but we weren't in a location that was easy to get into or out of and so he ended up just being on the phone about a hundred feet away until we could get out as a group.

I do feel bad for his kids, they've been mostly good about keeping their bubble small, but when he was pressed about it, my boss mentioned that his son had been feeling a bit under the weather (coughing, nausea, runny nose) for the last week and the family had just chalked it up to allergies... at which point any sympathy I had for my boss evaporated.

On the plus side, he felt bad enough to seek out a rapid test for himself and his wife and they both came up negative. I'm still acting like I was exposed til I get a negative test back, but I don't have a PCP down here and couldn't figure out how to get a rapid test done without one. Given the backlog here I have somewhere between 3-5 more days before my test comes back.

I remember our local news saying there was a study done awhile back that showed not a lot of COVID vector stuff comes out the bell of a wind instrument. At least not a brass one.

That was months ago, though. And I may have misheard whatever they said, so I could be making all of that up.

There are still tons of other holes on wind instruments that COVID can come out of that you need to worry about. Spit valves, key holes, lead pipes, mouthpieces, those holes on trumpet piston valve caps that I don’t know what they’re called... not to mention the possibility of filling your horn up with ‘rona one day and then reinfecting yourself with it the next time you play, since it looks like immunity from infection might not be a thing that happens with corona.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 15, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In other news, a couple of cops just showed up at my house (it’s loving 2:25 AM where I live) saying they got a 911 call from a landline phone at or near my address (it wasn’t from us; our landline phones have been disconnected for months now). It was weird, and now I’m paranoid that there’s a burglar on the loose in my neighborhood or that the police are gonna raid my house and needed to know if I was home first.

There were two cops, and only one of them was wearing a mask.

So...... that just happened.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 15, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What? If you call the police by landline they should know exactly what phone it comes from, numbers are registered to adresses. Not to make you nervous but that sounds ultra sketchy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ They said it could’ve been moisture buildup or something triggering a random false alarm from the line. Somehow. I don’t remember exactly what they told me cuz I was too freaked out to pay too much attention.

El Fideo posted:

Yes, we as a state are old and fat and poor, and the huggingest bunch of people you ever met. We also have a lot of individualistic hippie types, and disenfranchised minorities. The Big Island went for a week with zero active cases back in May, and it was glorious. O'ahu is majorly screwing it up for the rest of us. For the past couple weeks, our daily case count has been something like 200-250 for O'ahu, 3-5 on the Big Island, 2-3 for other neighbor islands. O'ahu has about 70% of the state's population.

I have a friend who lives on the Big Island. Hopefully she’s doing okay and those infection numbers stay low.

I think she runs a yoga studio or something (insert kiddie pool joke here). Does Hawaii have a statewide lockdown on gyms and poo poo, and if they do, does it also cover yoga places?

yook posted:

Edit: still bows my mind that liberal as poo poo California was an inspiration to Hitler because we were so damned efficient at involuntarily sterilizing minorities.

And the intellectually disabled. Which actually happened in a bunch of states, but California did it the most by far.

You don’t hear Dr. Dre and 2pac sing about THAT.

EDIT: Not COVID-related, but speaking of the history of forced sterilization and eugenics in America, read up on the US Supreme Court case of Buck v. Bell and the life of Carrie Buck sometime whenever you feel like hating humanity because justice is a lie and good things don’t exist.

Zugzwang posted:

And I was literally never taught anything like this in a single history class I ever took here in 'merica, ever. Without the internet or Reading A Book it would be very possible to have an extremely rosy picture of American history that has little resemblance to reality.

drat, and I thought my public school US history education sucked because I was never taught about stuff like the Japanese internment camps. I only learned those were a thing at all because there was a reading assignment about them on a test I took, and I think that was my senior year.

... actually I don’t think I was ever taught about the War of 1812 either. Lots of Texas state history, though! Oh yeah, they spent entire years making sure I knew everything there is to know about my one dumb state! Thank God, too, because that poo poo is SUPER important! :shepface:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 15, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

What? If you call the police by landline they should know exactly what phone it comes from, numbers are registered to adresses. Not to make you nervous but that sounds ultra sketchy.

I had cops show up to my job a few times cause they had the bank at the corner of the block as our address in whatever system they used. They started checking on both of us just in case. (I worked in a big hotel where the front desk/operator got an alert if any extension in the building dialed 911, so we always knew when we did/didn't).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

yook posted:

We rode the WW2 wave of goodwill from beating the nazis for so long we forgot that up until Pearl Harbor many Americans didn’t want to fight the nazis because they were also nazis.

Edit: still bows my mind that liberal as poo poo California was an inspiration to Hitler because we were so damned efficient at involuntarily sterilizing minorities.

Pretty much the only way anyone will ever learn about this is by watching the new Penny Dreadful spinoff set in LA just before WW2.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

I. M. Gei posted:

^^^ They said it could’ve been moisture buildup or something triggering a random false alarm from the line. Somehow. I don’t remember exactly what they told me cuz I was too freaked out to pay too much attention.

I have a friend who lives on the Big Island. Hopefully she’s doing okay and those infection numbers stay low.

I think she runs a yoga studio or something (insert kiddie pool joke here). Does Hawaii have a statewide lockdown on gyms and poo poo, and if they do, does it also cover yoga places?

And the intellectually disabled. Which actually happened in a bunch of states, but California did it the most by far.

You don’t hear Dr. Dre and 2pac sing about THAT.

EDIT: Not COVID-related, but speaking of the history of forced sterilization and eugenics in America, read up on the US Supreme Court case of Buck v. Bell and the life of Carrie Buck sometime whenever you feel like hating humanity because justice is a lie and good things don’t exist.
Yo

drat, and I thought my public school US history education sucked because I was never taught about stuff like the Japanese internment camps. I only learned those were a thing at all because there was a reading assignment about them on a test I took, and I think that was my senior year.

... actually I don’t think I was ever taught about the War of 1812 either. Lots of Texas state history, though! Oh yeah, they spent entire years making sure I knew everything there is to know about my one dumb state! Thank God, too, because that poo poo is SUPER important! :shepface:

Are you sure about that, because the very first thing the Texas Board of Education is concerned wirh is making children completely unaware of the actual history of Texas. I would bet dollars to donuts the word 'Mexico' isn't even in the book until you hit 11th grade.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yook posted:

We rode the WW2 wave of goodwill from beating the nazis for so long we forgot that up until Pearl Harbor many Americans didn’t want to fight the nazis because they were also nazis.

Zugzwang posted:

And I was literally never taught anything like this in a single history class I ever took here in 'merica, ever. Without the internet or Reading A Book it would be very possible to have an extremely rosy picture of American history that has little resemblance to reality.

What books do you recommend on the subject then? I’m due for some educational non fiction.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

What books do you recommend on the subject then? I’m due for some educational non fiction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_People%27s_History_of_the_United_States

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Rolo posted:

I'm far from a history expert, but The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is extremely, extremely good. Henrietta Lacks is the person from whom HeLa cells came, and many of the most important biology/medical discoveries over the past century are owed to those cells, the polio vaccine being one example. The cells were taken without her or her family's knowledge (standard practice in the 1940s) and as of when the book was written (late 00s), her descendants were all broke and had no health insurance despite tens to hundreds of millions of dollars being made from her cells.

Regarding the Nazis bit, there was one point in the book when some high-ranking clinician wanted to inject her cells (a particularly vicious cervical cancer) under prisoners' skin just to see what would happen. The only subordinates of his who objected were all Jewish because it was the 1960s I think and they all went "Uh....this reminds us an awful lot of Mengele"

Since it was brought up, I'm pretty sure I never heard about the Japanese interment camps in school, but I may be mistaken; it has been a while :corsair:

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 15, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I definitely had to read Farewell to Manzanar in school

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

I'm far from a history expert, but The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is extremely, extremely good.

Counterpoint: The book is bad. It flails in multiple directions simultaneously [scientific, ethical, historical, biographical] and ends up giving only a godawful surface reading of anything it touches on. There's a fairly obvious moral agenda being pursued all the way through it, with Gey being presented as an amoral bad man who callously ripped off poor old Henrietta. And the last half of the book is down right grim, consisting of a wealthy middle class white woman trying to make herself seem like a saviour and tut tutting at mean ol' society, while exploiting the absolute poo poo out of an impoverished mentally ill black woman. Rare for a book to actually piss me off, but The Immortal Life managed it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I definitely had to read Farewell to Manzanar in school

I went to an underfunded Christian high school in the south because my parents were concerned about my relationship with their god.

I didn’t learn poo poo until I went to college and started reading on my own.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Here's a quote from my (extremely depressed and frustrated) school admin here in WORLD VIRUS EPICENTER (NORTHWEST) FLORIDA:

"It will take a doomsday scenario for us to close a school for more than 3 days."

Well, I mean, what do you expect? The SEALs didn't bail out when the helicopter crashed, and they got Osama in the end! The parallels are eerie, really.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm a nurse, and I just did a treatment to some old dementia guy (Wed night). He kept stripping his clothes off and going in other people's rooms and saying crazy stuff. He told one guy that 'the staff goes outside and digs up dead bodies when they are asleep.' lol. So he had the virus and we didn't know it thus I started isolation Thursday evening. Going to a hotel Sunday. I'm just hiding in my room. The other people on precautions dont give a gently caress, as I was stopping to get some drive through food on the way home I saw another couple go in the grocery store, after we were leaving from getting our brain tickled (the test). I should find out today. Haven't left, just eating a giant jar of peanut butter while roommates are out and about the house. Being very :ninja: regarding bathroom visits. No temp I feel fine.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Seconding this. Arguably a must-read.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

If you haven’t already, watch The Plot Against America, which was a 6 or 8 part miniseries on HBO a few months ago. Alternate history and it’s obviously fiction,, but it’ll give you an idea of what pre-WW2 US was like from the view of an American Jewish family.

Zugzwang posted:

I'm far from a history expert, but The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is extremely, extremely good. Henrietta Lacks is the person from whom HeLa cells came, and many of the most important biology/medical discoveries over the past century are owed to those cells, the polio vaccine being one example. The cells were taken without her or her family's knowledge (standard practice in the 1940s) and as of when the book was written (late 00s), her descendants were all broke and had no health insurance despite tens to hundreds of millions of dollars being made from her cells.

Michael Crichton’s Next, while obviously a fictional thriller, offers an interesting look at the future of patenting genes. I read through it and within the past 5 years, every clinical trial I have worked on asks whether you provide your consent for your blood/tissue samples to be kept for future scientific research. Doesn’t say what for, or what they do with your samples, just that you’ve provided consent for it, so who knows who is going to be unknowingly providing the next HeLa cells.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Disgusting Coward posted:

Counterpoint: The book is bad. It flails in multiple directions simultaneously [scientific, ethical, historical, biographical] and ends up giving only a godawful surface reading of anything it touches on. There's a fairly obvious moral agenda being pursued all the way through it, with Gey being presented as an amoral bad man who callously ripped off poor old Henrietta. And the last half of the book is down right grim, consisting of a wealthy middle class white woman trying to make herself seem like a saviour and tut tutting at mean ol' society, while exploiting the absolute poo poo out of an impoverished mentally ill black woman. Rare for a book to actually piss me off, but The Immortal Life managed it.
Been 9 years since I read it so the material isn't fresh in my mind, but it seemed to me like she was really sensitive to the situation with Henrietta's family, particularly her daughter, including her (Skloot's) interactions with said daughter. Also, the book might have seemed scattered because there were just so many intersecting issues with the medical system, race, poverty, politics, etc., that needed to be discussed but the book would've been Tolstoy-length with a thorough treatment of them all.

I also thought it did a good job with the "taking cells without consent was completely normal for the time period - a lovely thing to do and we wouldn't do it today, but normal - so the docs aren't automatically bad guys" reality of 1940s medicine. gently caress the "inject the cancer cells into prisoners to see what happens!" guy though.

Cacafuego posted:

If you haven’t already, watch The Plot Against America, which was a 6 or 8 part miniseries on HBO a few months ago. Alternate history and it’s obviously fiction,, but it’ll give you an idea of what pre-WW2 US was like from the view of an American Jewish family.
Michael Crichton’s Next, while obviously a fictional thriller, offers an interesting look at the future of patenting genes. I read through it and within the past 5 years, every clinical trial I have worked on asks whether you provide your consent for your blood/tissue samples to be kept for future scientific research. Doesn’t say what for, or what they do with your samples, just that you’ve provided consent for it, so who knows who is going to be unknowingly providing the next HeLa cells.
Thanks for the recs!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Can we just automatically DNR Karens?

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1294594139347193856

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Two sides of israel:

https://twitter.com/sarahnadav/status/1294694617070424064

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rolo posted:

The Good War by Studs Terkel takes a good look at the time around WW2. It's an oral history, like World War Z pretended to be.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Lost my dad from covid last night. He was diagnosed at a nursing home and moved into their covid unit then into a hospital when he declined. He spent 10 days there before testing negative and returning to the nursing home.

I guess that test was a false negative because he retested positive a week later, was returned to the hospital and died after a week and a half in the ICU.

I live in florida and no one gives a poo poo. It is insane. While my girlfriend and i were out walking last week, a guy driving past slowed down and yelled out his window that we were loving RETARDS FOR WEARING MASKS OUTSIDE. Manatee county represent!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Holy poo poo, condolences dude.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sorry to hear man.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FGuBatbTg

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

drat. Sorry about your dad, goon.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Thanks for the recs!

Yep! The Plot Against America series was done by David Simon (The Wire) and the story behind the creation of the series is good. It’s based off a book written in 2004. Apparently, some people suggested Simon should do the book as a series, but in 2013, he couldn’t believe we’d ever go in that direction again, but :lol:

Good interview here: David Simon On Trump And 'The Plot Against America'

quote:

A guy named Tom Rothman, who used to run, I think, Sony [actually Fox, he is now Chairman of Sony], he’s from Baltimore, he cold-called me and he said, ‘You should do Plot Against America, the Roth book.’ And I had read it back when it came out, years earlier, and I thought it was a really interesting dynamic but I felt it was sort of an artefact. It didn’t feel like where my country was going. This is 2013. We’d just elected an African-American president for the second time. We seemed to be becoming more inclusive, less susceptible to demagogue-ary. I said, ‘Look, really interesting book but I don’t know why anybody would film it now.’ And he said, ‘Well read it again, please, for me.’ And I did. I read it again and I thought, ‘Nah, it’s, it’s not the right time.’ So I didn’t think any more of it and then, three years later: Trump. So I’m sitting at lunch with the HBO guys and we’re all talking about what sort of television you can make in the age of Trump. And I had this book in my head. I said, ‘Whoever’s got the rights to Plot Against America, you should buy them up.’ I wasn’t talking about myself. I was saying, ‘The network should get somebody to do that.’ Anyway, they said, ‘That’s funny: Joe Roth just came in here. And he has the rights and he pitched. But The Man In The High Castle, The Handmaid’s Tale… there’s a lot of American dystopian stuff out there. We’re not sure we’re going to buy it.’ So when I got back to Baltimore from that lunch, I asked my assistant to call Joe Roth, and I said to him, because because I’m an idiot from Baltimore, I said, ‘Well, you tried to get me three years ago to do this and you were right and you were prescient, and I was wrong. But to make it up to you, I did try to put in a good word with HBO. You should call them back because I really tried to pitch this book.’ And I talked for about three minutes and finally he got a word in and he said, ‘Are you The Wire guy?’ And I went, ‘Yeah.’ And he said, ‘We’ve never talked before in my life. I’m just meeting you now, on this call.’ I said, ‘What, are you an idiot? We talked three years ago! You had the book.’ ‘I’ve only had the rights for a month.’ ‘Aren’t you the guy who used to run a studio?’ He says, ‘Yeah, I ran Warner Brothers [actually, Disney].’ I go, ‘Motherfucker, you called me three years ago with this book. How many other guys named Roth ran a studio…?’ So, eventually, in the middle of the call, he figures it out. He goes, ‘Are you talking about Tom Rothman?’ And I was like, ‘Um, too many Hebrews.’ I hung up the phone on him thinking, ‘He thinks I’m an idiot.’ Which I guess I was. And he called me back 10 minutes later and said, ‘Do you want to write it?’

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Condolences

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m so sorry, friend. That’s awful.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
poo poo, sorry to hear it GH.

I just completed a rapid Covid test down here in Georgia and was really impressed with the speed and ease. No appointment, nurse came out to the car within five minutes to do the surface nasal swab, results came back in just under 15 minutes.

Negative, which I'm thrilled about, but it does leave me a bit curious about why the gently caress I've spiked a fever, feel like someone is driving spikes into my head and joints, and am basically making GBS threads blood non-stop. Noravirus?

Whatever it is, I'm real ready for it to stop.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Castaign posted:

I just completed a rapid Covid test down here in Georgia and was really impressed with the speed and ease. No appointment, nurse came out to the car within five minutes to do the surface nasal swab, results came back in just under 15 minutes.

Negative, which I'm thrilled about, but it does leave me a bit curious about why the gently caress I've spiked a fever, feel like someone is driving spikes into my head and joints, and am basically making GBS threads blood non-stop. Noravirus?

Are you about to attend an billionaire's garden party or something?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

i am harry posted:

Are you about to attend an billionaire's garden party or something?

Is that in regards to the access to rapid testing?

Nope, it's just readily available here in Athens. Presumably because we're so desperate to get our schools open and try to salvage the UGA football season. :jerkbag:

Apparently a 96.7% sensitivity on the particular test I got, which I admit to a bit of skepticism about.

I was also able to get an antibody test a few months ago with a similar level of ease.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Of course, there's got to be a trade-off. Our trade-off is apparently that our lunatic governor Kemp is such a death cultist that he's actually been reprimanded for his lack of caution by Trump.

That would be like Sheriff Joe Arpaio telling the folks at ICE that they really need to be a little more thoughtful and considerate in their treatment of undocumented immigrants.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

condolences GH, that is rough as hell

also I totally hate it when moisture buildup calls a specific number from a specific disconnected landline, which is definitely a thing that happens all the time and not the dumbest lie ever told. im gei you should like, get some fuckin cameras set up YESTERDAY

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

So because the idiot states have huge spikes, the main US testing centers are absolutely backed up and it's taking our hospital systems 7-10 days for a result.

So in absolute wisdom, all elective surgeries that used to require a negative result before their surgery and then staying a day or two in the hospital afterwards are now just scheduled immediately without waiting for test results as long as they don't show symptoms, and all nurses and therapists are just on droplet precautions (read: no n95 mask issued) while working with the patients. Who are also allowed to walk the halls with a level 1 mask.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently there was a no-mask rally in my county today, great job guys as I never heard or saw anything about it as I went about my day shopping and going out for lunch and having a nice time while you probably all infected eachother.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Hang in there Gay Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Castaign posted:

Erm if you are making GBS threads blood, especially repeatedly, please go see a doctor immediately.