Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Extremely sorry to hear about your dad GH, and I applaud you for not being in prison for murder after some idiot yelled at you that you're an idiot for wearing a mask after losing him :ughh:

Castaign posted:

Apparently a 96.7% sensitivity on the particular test I got, which I admit to a bit of skepticism about.

I was also able to get an antibody test a few months ago with a similar level of ease.
Uhhhhhhhhh I can't give details but I have it on reasonably good authority that a scarily high percentage of the approved tests involved shenanigans, bullshitting, and/or outright lying by the manufacturers wrt their performance. I'm not saying this test did, but we're repeatedly seeing tests claiming high-90s% sensitivity coming up short. I've looked at a number of tests' FDA submissions and my favorite is when they claim their test uses crude sample (i.e. whole virus in nasal fluid from a swab), but they determined their detection limit with purified RNA. Which, just, lol.

In any case, yes if you're making GBS threads blood repeatedly please call a doctor.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
So the obvious follow up to the making GBS threads blood symptom is: what color is the blood? Dark black smelly (occult) blood, or bright red.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wait, making GBS threads blood is bad now? loving hell I wish the WHO would get their messaging sorted out and stop changing their mind about everything every 5 minutes :mad: :mad:

E: just got kicked out of this Facebook group, thanks thread
https://www.facebook.com/groups/420630428743864/

PollosBromanos
May 18, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

this is like, the only word i use any more

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Anyway I was thinking if the man that exposed me was real old and had dementia, yet he didn't have a fever and really no symptoms. If he tested positive but was around everyone including myself, and had no symptoms, I just think it's interesting. In March I was really scared and thought that it was contagious as wild fire and if I get it I'm dead. I might not have even got it from him, and being in close contact. My guess is that it's totally random if you get it bad bad or if it's like 'lol isolation for 2 weeks ftw.'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wait, making GBS threads blood is bad now? loving hell I wish the WHO would get their messaging sorted out and stop changing their mind about everything every 5 minutes :mad: :mad:

Whiny liberal doctors are like "if eating at jack in the box every day causes you to poo poo blood then you need to stop eating there." What the gently caress? You ever heard of moderation, doc? If I stop cold turkey then I'd probably just die so no point in that, brb going to plan out my next visit

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

excellent bird guy posted:

Anyway I was thinking if the man that exposed me was real old and had dementia, yet he didn't have a fever and really no symptoms. If he tested positive but was around everyone including myself, and had no symptoms, I just think it's interesting. In March I was really scared and thought that it was contagious as wild fire and if I get it I'm dead. I might not have even got it from him, and being in close contact. My guess is that it's totally random if you get it bad bad or if it's like 'lol isolation for 2 weeks ftw.'

the way the exposure happens it's important too

how much of the virus you get on the first blast seems to have a strong effect of how badly gets, with the indicator being medical personnel often going from perfectly fine to dead in 2-3 days

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finland are still allowing unfettered entry from a bunch of countries where the 'rona is raging like crazy. The government is considering implementing restrictions in the future.

I know the situation could be infinitely worse, but it's still so frustrating to see our government wring its hands for weeks on end and then just issue some half-assed recommendation that doesn't carry any weight.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

E: just got kicked out of this Facebook group, thanks thread
https://www.facebook.com/groups/420630428743864/

lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, making GBS threads blood is bad now?

Thread title?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Zugzwang posted:

Uhhhhhhhhh I can't give details but I have it on reasonably good authority that a scarily high percentage of the approved tests involved shenanigans, bullshitting, and/or outright lying by the manufacturers wrt their performance. I'm not saying this test did, but we're repeatedly seeing tests claiming high-90s% sensitivity coming up short. I've looked at a number of tests' FDA submissions and my favorite is when they claim their test uses crude sample (i.e. whole virus in nasal fluid from a swab), but they determined their detection limit with purified RNA. Which, just, lol.

The test in question: https://www.medtechdive.com/news/quidel-says-its-covid-19-antigen-test-is-now-on-par-with-pcr-accuracy/581902/

If you or your source have any insight, I'd definitely appreciate hearing it.

excellent bird guy posted:

So the obvious follow up to the making GBS threads blood symptom is: what color is the blood? Dark black smelly (occult) blood, or bright red.

Bright red streaks which are, I have no doubt, the result of numerous surface abrasions to my poor, tender anus. That descriptor just seemed so gauche though in comparison to the much more pithy "making GBS threads blood."

I'll almost certainly be fine, at least assuming this particular Covid test wasn't one of the fuckery-filled ones Zugzwang mentioned. So, what? Maybe 1:1 odds?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Castaign posted:

Bright red streaks which are, I have no doubt, the result of numerous surface abrasions to my poor, tender anus.

sending my thoughts and prayers to your butthole

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

zer0spunk posted:

Much appreciated; it's good to have online friends who care about you.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, making GBS threads blood is bad now?

No, it isn't.

I'm Thinking Arby's

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Castaign posted:

Much appreciated; it's good to have online friends who care about you.

if there's anything that being a goon for 20 years has taught me, caring about a stranger's rear end in a top hat on the internet is everything

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
"Billy Mays here for Chipotle-away!"

loving goons must be inspiration to South Park or something.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Eat a bunch of red velvet cake and you can blame it on the cake.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Castaign posted:

The test in question: https://www.medtechdive.com/news/quidel-says-its-covid-19-antigen-test-is-now-on-par-with-pcr-accuracy/581902/

If you or your source have any insight, I'd definitely appreciate hearing it
You were tested during active symptoms (presumably within a few days of symptom onset?), which is the least likely time to get a false negative if you genuinely have it. So that's a good thing.

AFAIK, Quidel's test is good, with the main strength of its format - testing for proteins on the virus's surface instead of the virus's genome - being that you get rapid turnaround and can test people more often. Take advantage of that if you can. Even the best test can't give you any guarantees, and if you want to be extra sure, multiple negatives spaced days apart are much more predictive than just one negative. You might find that you feel a lot better in a few days, which is also a good sign, but not a guarantee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry I can't give more assurance; this virus is Lovecraftian in many ways.

e: tl;dr Odds are good you don't have it, get tested again if you want to be extra sure.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Finland are still allowing unfettered entry from a bunch of countries where the 'rona is raging like crazy. The government is considering implementing restrictions in the future.

I know the situation could be infinitely worse, but it's still so frustrating to see our government wring its hands for weeks on end and then just issue some half-assed recommendation that doesn't carry any weight.

I have to go to northern Finland later this year, so I'm hoping Germany stays on the allowed list. Hopefully most people wear facemasks when it's -30 outside since it'll help cut down the wind chill. I'm guessing they all come off as soon as anyone goes inside though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
which is the dumbest poo poo, as outside in the wind you don't need people to wear masks outside of crowds, but inside you want everyone masked

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

You were tested during active symptoms (presumably within a few days of symptom onset?), which is the least likely time to get a false negative if you genuinely have it. So that's a good thing.

AFAIK, Quidel's test is good, with the main strength of its format - testing for proteins on the virus's surface instead of the virus's genome - being that you get rapid turnaround and can test people more often. Take advantage of that if you can. Even the best test can't give you any guarantees, and if you want to be extra sure, multiple negatives spaced days apart are much more predictive than just one negative. You might find that you feel a lot better in a few days, which is also a good sign, but not a guarantee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry I can't give more assurance; this virus is Lovecraftian in many ways.

e: tl;dr Odds are good you don't have it, get tested again if you want to be extra sure.

Thank you! I understand that there are no assurances, but I appreciate the tentative good news anyway.

Yes, I got tested on day two of my symptoms. To be honest, I didn't think it was really likely that I had it to begin with, since most of my symptoms were GI related. However, given the sudden fever, the fact that the virus can present with any number of non-respiratory symptoms, and (most importantly) that my wife works in healthcare and I didn't want to be patient zero in a widespread infection chain if I *did* have it and passed it to her, it seemed prudent to get the test.

I'm already feeling notably better, which is also consistent with Norovirus.

Stay safe everyone.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 16, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zer0spunk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atPh0aEL2oo

Guy Axlerod posted:

Eat a bunch of red velvet cake and you can blame it on the cake.

I already blame about 5 or 6 things on cake, I guess one more wouldn't hurt

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I suggest red dragonfruit if you want to color your urine/feces.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Dragonfruit also has the benefit of being delicious, so it's a win/win for everyone.

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006
Related protip: take some medicinal charcoal pills after boozing it up and then forget about it so you can get a sick adrenaline rush to scare the hangover away the next day!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Apparently beets are a bit of an in-joke among some doctors, due to the number of people making beet-related doctor's visits.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well folks, I didn't think it would happen, but I got to see my first in person boomer mask related public meltdown today. Watching a 50 year old man stomp around and scream like a loving toddler in public was something else.

He walked into the liquor store and the clerk told him to get a mask or get out. He immediately lit up with smug levels that emanated into the stratosphere. Like he was just waiting all day for someone to tell him to wear a mask. Then he perkily was like "Actually I'm exempt I have a disability" in the most condescending "wink wink" tone imaginable, and an absolute poo poo eating grin on his face, all while staring daggers into the clerks eyes. The clerk told him to get the gently caress out, and and then he screamed "have you ever heard of the Americans with disabilities Act?!! You are discriminating against me!"

At this point I was just like "gently caress this" and ducked out of the store and got into my car. About 30 seconds later the guy loving storms out of the store waving his arms around like noodles and muttering to himself in a full on tantrum, gets into his lifted pickup (because of course), bounces around like a baby in the drivers seat, screaming for about 10 seconds, then hops out of his truck and storms back to the store. Then he opened the door like 10 inches so he could just stick his head in. I drove off with his rear end sticking out of the door and his head in the door and could just hear loud, inaudible screaming.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone make themselves look so stupid in my life.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 17, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Well folks, I didn't think it would happen, but I got to see my first in person boomer mask related public meltdown today. Watching a 50 year old man stomp around and scream like a loving toddler in public was something else.
Leaded petrol was a helluva thing.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

My boomer parents here in Sweden have isolated themselves since this all started. We barely see them. When they go out they keep their distance and mask up

Of course, this is Sweden so NO ONE ELSE gives a poo poo. No masks anywhere to be seen. If there's sun outside people are flocking outside and no one gives a poo poo about distancing

My poor parents will have to stay inside forever

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
If there is one thing that might get men to mask up, it's this -

https://www.ukmasknetwork.org/post/erectile-dysfunction-in-covid-19-survivors

quote:

Erectile Dysfunction in COVID-19 Survivors

Not wearing a mask: would you bet your sex life on it? Jasmine Belfiore summarises a recent scientific article which draws connections between Covid-19 and erectile dysfunction.

Many people assume that because they are healthy, even if they catch Covid-19 they will be ok - this is not the case! Long term effects of Covid-19 are now starting to be investigated. Worryingly, in male Covid-19 survivors reported accounts of sexual dysfunction are on the rise. Possibly because of how COVID-19 affects the circulatory system and the fact there are high levels of ACE2 in the testes - ACE2 is how COVID-19 gets into your cells. A recent study investigating these cases found that not only is sexual dysfunction affected but also reproductive function in both the short and long term. In an intensive care setting, erectile dysfunction is considered trivial (doctors are working to save your life, not your dick). The best way to avoid complications associated Covid-19 is preventing catching the virus in the first place - through proper use of masks and social protective measures.

Stay safe and mask up!

Background

Covid-19 is well-known to enter host cells via the enzyme ACE2. In men this enzyme is highly expressed in the testes, suggesting testicular infection to be likely in the early stages of the disease.

Aim

To find out if erectile dysfunction (ED) is likely in men with Covid-19.

Study design

Literature search on possible mechanisms involved in the development of ED in Covid-19 survivors.

Results

Endothelial dysfunction, subclinical hypogonadism, psychological distress and impaired pulmonary hemodynamics all contribute to the development of erectile dysfunction. Covid-19 may worsen cardiovascular conditions which increases the chance of developing ED. Reproduction may also be affected.

Conclusions

There is a strong body of evidence suggesting both sexual and reproductive health could be affected in Covid-19 survivors in both the short and long-term.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess this world is the Children of Men prequel novel?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Agenda 21 type of poo poo. :tinfoil:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rondette posted:

If there is one thing that might get men to mask up, it's this -

https://www.ukmasknetwork.org/post/erectile-dysfunction-in-covid-19-survivors

According to this research publication, covid19 is stored in the balls

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
hey Covid thread, I'm donating plasma today for an antibody clinical trial in the UK

though probably they're going to take my juice and inject it straight into some old ghoul politician

anyway wish me luck!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Doc, you...you gotta help me. It's the COVID19. It got me good. It got me right in the balls Doc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

occluded posted:

hey Covid thread, I'm donating plasma today for an antibody clinical trial in the UK

though probably they're going to take my juice and inject it straight into some old ghoul politician

anyway wish me luck!

i wouldn't give up my antibodies unless i knew they were being used exclusively for grocery store workers and homeless people. I know the rich have the inside connection on that poo poo, and i would prefer they get covid

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

veni veni veni posted:

50 year olds are gen x. Unfortunately, known to be another terrible group.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

Doc, you...you gotta help me. It's the COVID19. It got me good. It got me right in the balls Doc.

Mharti, you've gotta cure my covid, it's the only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just got an email from HR explaining who has to come back to the office and what is required for those who can't. It boils down to "give us documentation proving you can't. Also if you have kids, good luck. We'll see you at the office."

Emailing them now to find out what I have to do to prove that my girlfriend has MS. Fun.