Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh yeah, there's that lovely claymore monster design. dude's so great at drawing hosed up monsters.

Also a good example on how the combat feels weird. Like what happened here?

Kiss Manga permanently down
I don't think anyone here used it, but it's down now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaPlusENG/status/1295013096877154305?s=19

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I haven't read promised never land, but that was pretty good! Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christ, you two, neverland ended like a month ago, there's nothing wrong with taking a little break

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I haven't read promised never land, but that was pretty good! Wouldn't mind seeing it as a series
Very strong first couple arcs, ending is not as good. Worth a read regardless.

Spirit photographer is a good rollercoaster for a single chapter, Demizu really nails creepy and imposing people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda reminds me of Livingstone, if anyone has read that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oxxidation posted:

christ, you two, neverland ended like a month ago, there's nothing wrong with taking a little break

Except, you know, gotta make a living and all that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its good but I dont feel it can carry a weekly just because of how Jump operates.
But theyve done the hardest part, which is stick their foot in the door in the world of shonen jump.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Not bad. It came together nicely at the end.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Good, about exactly what you'd want out of a one shot but like...

Did the photographer look way too much like Inspector Gadget?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1295359491496710150?s=20

very cool shueisha ensures act-age is no longer available to read via legal means, and the illegal means leave you with truly awful scanlations for about 20% of the series

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

dogsicle posted:

very cool shueisha ensures act-age is no longer available to read via legal means, and the illegal means leave you with truly awful scanlations for about 20% of the series

More like they are trying to pretend it never existed. They don't want anyone to read it in any form, or to talk about it or remember that it was ever published.

Edit: Like, you won't be able to read it in Japan either. This has absolutely nothing to do with scanslations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Clarste posted:

More like they are trying to pretend it never existed. They don't want anyone to read it in any form, or to talk about it or remember that it was ever published.

Edit: Like, you won't be able to read it in Japan either. This has absolutely nothing to do with scanslations.

i mean yeah, the thread is very clear and this is the assumed worst case for the series anyway

but the scanlations matter from the angle of there not being a complete english version. you can only preserve the series by including a large chunk that is of markedly inferior quality. japan is going to have way less of an issue with this since i'm sure there's a complete digital archive in addition to complete paper copies they won't be able to recall.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that'll really suck for the artist if she can't produce another successful manga. heck, it sucks for her now because that's cutting her income. full on guilt by association, really.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
But make sure you subscribe to the Shonen Jump app to read Rurouni Kenshin and Toriko!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dogsicle posted:

https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1295359491496710150?s=20

Trust me when I say there's a rip of all the Viz chapters on :filez: sites right now so digital archives won't have to rely on scanlations unless you don't know where to look.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Boco_T posted:

But make sure you subscribe to the Shonen Jump app to read Rurouni Kenshin and Toriko!

It is a rather surprising difference, yeah. I guess the Shueisha people could have honestly considered the Act-Age guy's offenses much more serious, but it hard not to suspect that part of the calculus was that Act-Age isn't the cash cow Kenshin is.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Sometimes I forget how good Ju Jutsu Kaisen is and then I go back and re-read older chapters and remember how good it is. The arc where Itadori is presumed dead but is secretly getting training from Nanami that culminates with Itadori and Nanami fighting the soul guy is really good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Not sure where else to post about this so I figure this thread is as good as any.

I just finished reading through Saint Seiya (+ watching the Netflix show, out of curiosity) and I really enjoyed it. A friend kept recommending it and/or referencing parts of it as he went on a months long mission to read and watch every version of it he could find and everything he talked about sounded like the stupidest bullshit but when I actually sat down to read it and got past the incredibly shaky first few arcs it's really fantastic. I even liked the Poseidon arc, despite the initial premise coming off like Fist of the North Star's second half where the author just recycled a bunch of the same characters and plot beats, but by the end of it Poseidon was pretty cool, and that was where Kurumada's art really hit its stride I think. Then the Hades arc was just incredible start to finish.

I also really liked the Netflix show. I don't generally like CG anime but that's usually because it's used poorly. When they use an art style that actually supports the technology instead of trying to badly mimic 2D animation, it can work really well, and I like Netflix Seiya's art style a lot. It has some issues, for sure. I'm not a fan of the name changes for the Bronzes, the stupid military subplot is dumb (though I guess that's kind of a loose adaptation of some filler from the anime?), and the scene direction and fights is pretty weak in season 1, though that improves in s2. I hope the stupid fanboy outrage over making Shun a girl doesn't dissuade them from continuing because I really want to see their version of the Twelve Palaces arc.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
I like The Vertical World and I wish I had more people to talk about it with

Manic Mongoose fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 20, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Manic Mongoose posted:

I like the The Vertical World and I wish I had more people to talk about it with

I'm the translator for that, and I got the speed of light wrong in one chapter and I feel forever ashamed.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm the translator for that, and I got the speed of light wrong in one chapter and I feel forever ashamed.

As you should!

Anyways, I had finished watching Dark recently and been craving more mysteries on mysteries like Made in the Abyss (but without the gross factor) and it scratches that itch well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like how every single chapter ends with a revelation that changes our understanding of the world completely.

Every. Single. Chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manic Mongoose posted:

As you should!

Anyways, I had finished watching Dark recently and been craving more mysteries on mysteries like Made in the Abyss (but without the gross factor) and it scratches that itch well.

East, into the night had something going for it but it seems it could not avoid the axe. Not often I read a full color manga and I was enjoying it a fair amount.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Clarste posted:

I like how every single chapter ends with a revelation that changes our understanding of the world completely.

Every. Single. Chapter.

I started reading based on this post and I'm like 8 chapters in and Holy poo poo this is great.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We're starting the obligatory training arc in Kemono Jihen, mixing some Dragonball with some Battle Tendency and in Kabane's case some UQ Holder. That kid continues to be a horrifyingly pure and straightforward.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manic Mongoose posted:

I just got to the part where (chapter 70 spoiler)Kelvin robot "merges" with Kelvin man and I'm very happy Kelvin is back with them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Manic Mongoose posted:

Incidentally The Vertical World is rad as gently caress and more people should read it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Kaiju 8. :tviv:

It's something else and does everything right.
Viz
Mangaplus

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

We're starting the obligatory training arc in Kemono Jihen, mixing some Dragonball with some Battle Tendency and in Kabane's case some UQ Holder. That kid continues to be a horrifyingly pure and straightforward.

Oh this is some really great stuff. Just finished chapter 14 and the splash page for 15's great.

Kabane's obilviousness is just the best :allears:

Edit: Uh, ok. That next arc was... unpleasant. Not a bad read, and it makes sense to do for that kind of yokai but still :goleft:

Edit2 (Caught up): Ah...Ah yeah, I do remember there was some kafuffle over that murder guy getting off with being castrated a while back.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 21, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of Kaiju 8. :tviv:

It's something else and does everything right.
Viz
Mangaplus

The punch is real good, as are his PWEASE DON'T TELL ANYBODY moments, but ehh I'm not holding high hopes for it. Her fainting could easily lead to "oh, i had a weird dream that he transformed into a monster!" write off, but even if it doesn't do that I could see it instead just being tsundere bratty girl who totally hates the protag but he saved her so she's gotta keep his secret under wraps, she definitely doesn't like him or anything!! Either way he's managed to mostly not be spotted going monster mode, so the status quo still isn't getting really shaken up, and it was already heading in a fairly generic action shonen direction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm still liking that series just because it's novel to have an adult in his 30s as the protagonist (and I also like the art so far).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I'm still liking that series just because it's novel to have an adult in his 30s as the protagonist (and I also like the art so far).

Totally agreed! Though it's kind of funny that he's sort of treated as a washed up old man

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm fond of how his every movement is so detailed and grotesque in monster form. unfortunately, the kamen rider adjacent concept and excellent monster art are kind of let down by otherwise lackluster writing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk I still think the protag's age is distracting because he acts the same as every teenage shonen protag

goku is a more believable adult

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
His only real adult quality is lamenting on how much of a failure he is

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i like kaiju no 8 because the gags are consistently very funny

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Professorjuggalo posted:

Dont fuckin doxx me

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

Extremely relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

New shonen jump chapters are out! Let's get our weekly dose of comedy.

Agravity Boys

Mangaplus

VIz

High Being takes his most evil form: Gacha game.

Roboco

Mangaplus

Viz

If I said I didn't laugh at the bullies actually being nice to Bondo I'd be lion.