Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How much money would I save if I held out until cyber monday to buy a drill and driver set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

How much money would I save if I held out until cyber monday to buy a drill and driver set?

I would not anticipate capitalism working correctly in 2020. If you want tools buy them now, before hyper inflation and an embargo from China make them impossible to obtain!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Drill and Driver sets go on sale ALL the time. If you buy on any sale cycle you are getting a decent deal, I wouldn’t expect to save much more on cyber Monday.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

There are so many price points in the sets I don't know how much drill I need. I just moved into a new home so it'll obviously get some use, but I won't be doing too many DIY projects.

How much drill do you recommend for a beginning home owner? I'd love some suggestions. I've heard Ryobi, but I keep migrating towards Dewalt probably because of the brushless technology.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bioshuffle posted:

There are so many price points in the sets I don't know how much drill I need. I just moved into a new home so it'll obviously get some use, but I won't be doing too many DIY projects.

How much drill do you recommend for a beginning home owner? I'd love some suggestions. I've heard Ryobi, but I keep migrating towards Dewalt probably because of the brushless technology.

If you want Dewalt at WEN prices check out your local pawn shops. Tools tend to be pretty robust, used ones are often just as good (or some times better) than new ones.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Ryobi has brushless versions of virtually every tool just like the higher end manufacturers, that really shouldn't be a deciding factor. If this is just for occasional and basic home DIY a Ryobi set is perfectly fine, you likely don't even need the brushless versions. If you really want to go for a higher end manufacturer consider Milwaukee's 12v line which is a bit cheaper than the 18v line, more compact, and totally still adequate for basic home DIY.

The only real limitation you're going to run into with non-brushless drills is that they generally have 3/8 chucks vs 1/2 chucks and that may limit you when using large drill bits for making big holes in wood or metal. Well, that and a lack of power to sink large fasteners like lags but an impact is better for those anyways.

Whatever you get consider a kit with a drill and impact, having both is nice and should be the default nowadays.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ryobi is more than adequate. Brushless is nice but not needed for most uses. I will say the brushless impact driver is fantastic though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Moved from Dewalt to Ryobi recently. Do not regret it one bit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I do everything with either a 10.8V Bosch (which I like because big boxy batteries annoy me) or a Chinese copy of a Bosch 240V SDS+ drill. I've not yet needed anything in between.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jaded Burnout posted:

I do everything with either a 10.8V Bosch (which I like because big boxy batteries annoy me) or a Chinese copy of a Bosch 240V SDS+ drill. I've not yet needed anything in between.

Sounds about right. 12v brushless stuff is more or less adequate for anything a homeowner needs to do. 18v is great if you're doing framing or putting together a deck, where the power and battery life start to matter more.

SDS+ drills are basically loving magic for anything that requires a hole to be cut, drilled, chiseled or driven into any stone or stone-like surface.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I never even considered someone would be so dumbass to use cliphead nails shingling. I always thought that coil nailers were the standard for that and you could only get coils in full-head style. Siding totally makes sense.

A nailgun's a nailgun, I know what I'm fukkin' doin'! *Fucks it all up forever, mobile home rots from the inside out*

Coil nailers are the standard for roofing, but nobody said idiots are willing to use them.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 15, 2020

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
For all the crap that it gets, I still have half a dozen or so Craftsman 19.2 C3 tools that work perfectly fine, even with the chinesium 3rd party batteries I had to get for them. They sold so many of them that they are relatively easy to find at garage/estate sales (sometimes in brand new condition). I also got into the M12 line from Milwaukee for pocket drivers and recently bought the 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets when they were on sale, and they are excellent. I'll probably get a M18 impact once my overpriced MAC 1/2" 18v boat anchor dies.

edit: Should clarify that the C3 tools are the older black and silver variety, not sure if the 9 Sears stores left still sell those or not. It seems that all of the Lowes/Ace Hardware Craftsman stuff is the red 20V stuff from after the Stanley takeover.

DoriDori240 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 16, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm sure you're correct about 12V drills and drivers generally being fine, but a benefit of getting 18V is that then it's going to be compatible/interchangeable with more meatier tools that you might get in the future, like a recip saw, circular saw, garden equipment (maybe.)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I'm sure you're correct about 12V drills and drivers generally being fine, but a benefit of getting 18V is that then it's going to be compatible/interchangeable with more meatier tools that you might get in the future, like a recip saw, circular saw, garden equipment (maybe.)

I have a Milwaukee drill and driver in both 18 and 12 battery systems. I find the smaller-size argument for the 12V stuff to be a bit overstated. They are smaller, but not by a very significant amount. Most of the size savings is from a smaller battery that can mostly fully insert in the handle. If you use one of the larger M12 batteries that have the flat base, the difference is very minimal.

You're definitely making a tradeoff in battery capacity. The smaller M18 batteries (2-3 Ah) are about the smallest I like, except for really trivial tasks like picture hanging or driving a few screws.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like the Milwaukee Hackzall, and it will be really handy for this project I'm working on. I already have a huge plug-in sawzall, so I think the 12 volt would be fine, then I've never regretted having more power. Any suggestions or thoughts on this tool?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FogHelmut posted:

I like the Milwaukee Hackzall, and it will be really handy for this project I'm working on. I already have a huge plug-in sawzall, so I think the 12 volt would be fine, then I've never regretted having more power. Any suggestions or thoughts on this tool?

I own the M12 Hackzall and the M18 FUEL Hackzall and let me tell you. The 12v can get some stuff done, but the 18v FUEL is every bit as good as my old corded Sawzall, which I've since given away. The 12v version had trouble sawing through 2x4s(but got it done) where as the 18v FUEL laughs at them. I've used the M18 FUEL Hackzall for pruning, demo work, cutting through thick steel pipes, you name it. The only advantage of the M12 version is it's considerably smaller and lighter. I have not used the M12 FUEL version, so I cannot speak to how much more powerful it is than the non-FUEL one I have.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 17, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the non fuel 12v hackzall and like it, but don’t have a full size to compare to and don’t do a ton of stuff that needs a sawzall. Mostly I use it for pruning, which it seems to do great at (and the size is really easy for one handing) and some minor metal cutting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Here's a comparison shot from when I got my new M18 tools.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I mostly use the big plug-in one to cut up crap that doesn't fit in my trash can, and prune trees. I've used it once to cut a hole in my roof for a vent, and otherwise cutting wire closet shelves.

It's just overkill for that stuff and too heavy.

I've got a big landscape irrigation project right now, so it's going to be all 3/4 PVC. Then I have to dispose of a bunch of 3/4 steel pipe that needs to be cut down. And I'd like to do those other things without dragging the big sawzall out.

The price difference between 12v and 18v isn't huge. I read somewhere that the 12v fuel is as powerful as the standard 18v. I already have batteries in each voltage, so I guess weight is going to be the factor. I'll have to look that up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FogHelmut posted:

I mostly use the big plug-in one to cut up crap that doesn't fit in my trash can, and prune trees. I've used it once to cut a hole in my roof for a vent, and otherwise cutting wire closet shelves.

It's just overkill for that stuff and too heavy.

I've got a big landscape irrigation project right now, so it's going to be all 3/4 PVC. Then I have to dispose of a bunch of 3/4 steel pipe that needs to be cut down. And I'd like to do those other things without dragging the big sawzall out.

The price difference between 12v and 18v isn't huge. I read somewhere that the 12v fuel is as powerful as the standard 18v. I already have batteries in each voltage, so I guess weight is going to be the factor. I'll have to look that up.

I used my 12 volt to cut up some 1/2" galvanized steel pipe in my crawl space and it did okay. I imagine 3/4" isn't much more difficult.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

While I got things sorted out with which drill I want to buy, my father in law graciously offered to let me borrow his.

It doesn't have a reverse function. Or if it is, it's so well hidden I can't find it. It does have a trigger lock mechanism though, so I've got that going for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

It doesn't have a reverse function. Or if it is, it's so well hidden I can't find it. It does have a trigger lock mechanism though, so I've got that going for me.

Push the trigger lock one notch past "locked". That should be reverse on just about anything with a trigger lock (if you're talking about the kind that locks out the trigger from being able to activate).

Otherwise, just tell us what kind of drill it is.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Motronic posted:

Push the trigger lock one notch past "locked". That should be reverse on just about anything with a trigger lock (if you're talking about the kind that locks out the trigger from being able to activate).

Otherwise, just tell us what kind of drill it is.

Well, I'll be. I was taking pictures of it when I found the toggle switch located in the back of the handle. Thank god I didn't ask him. :derp:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Anyone have experience with electric staple guns and could steer me in the right direction? I'm looking for a relatively cheap alternative to those hand-killing manual staplers I've used before when doing some amateur upholstery.

This one seems to be popular:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-T50ACD-Compact-Electric-Staple-Gun-T50ACD/308165223

but most of the reviews are promotion-related, so I don't exactly believe the high scores. I'm not opposed to a higher-end model either, but I don't need a heavy-duty product, nor do I care about it being cordless.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you have kids may I recommend an electric leaf blower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmedVmZqzj4

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Trabant posted:

Anyone have experience with electric staple guns and could steer me in the right direction? I'm looking for a relatively cheap alternative to those hand-killing manual staplers I've used before when doing some amateur upholstery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-T50ACD-Compact-Electric-Staple-Gun-T50ACD/308165223

but most of the reviews are promotion-related, so I don't exactly believe the high scores. I'm not opposed to a higher-end model either, but I don't need a heavy-duty product, nor do I care about it being cordless.

I had to look but I have an old Electric Arrow staple/brad gun (its yellow, no clue on model). Worked great but I haven't used it in probably 10y. Haven't upholstered anything in a long time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Trabant posted:

I don't really know about electric ones but when I was hunting for a regular staple gun to buy, given the reviews I found, it seems like every brand other than Arrow is absolute trash and jams constantly.

I picked up an Arrow and it's been flawless for the few jobs I had for it so far, so that's good at least

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Squibbles posted:

I don't really know about electric ones but when I was hunting for a regular staple gun to buy, given the reviews I found, it seems like every brand other than Arrow is absolute trash and jams constantly.

I picked up an Arrow and it's been flawless for the few jobs I had for it so far, so that's good at least

Arrow. One and done.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks all!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Am I missing something on tool pricing re loose tools vs kits? I impulse-bought a M18 sawzall and a battery for some home destruction purposes, so I figure I would look at going M18 for other stuff. But it seems like the pricing almost forces you to buy combo kits. Like a M18 brushless impact driver and drill would be $260 at HD, while buying a kit with the impact driver, drill, two batteries, charger, and case is $200. Or maybe I just need to look elsewhere.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

gvibes posted:

Am I missing something on tool pricing re loose tools vs kits? I impulse-bought a M18 sawzall and a battery for some home destruction purposes, so I figure I would look at going M18 for other stuff. But it seems like the pricing almost forces you to buy combo kits. Like a M18 brushless impact driver and drill would be $260 at HD, while buying a kit with the impact driver, drill, two batteries, charger, and case is $200. Or maybe I just need to look elsewhere.

Make sure the kit is brushless if that's what you want. Sometimes in the kits they throw the regular version in which makes it cheaper.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

gvibes posted:

Impact and drill are your basic "starter" tools when buying into a ecosystem. The price of add on tools (like a sawzall) would always be cheaper with no battery. You did it backwards, buy the kit and enjoy the extra battery(ies)...you always need extra batteries.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wandler20 posted:

Make sure the kit is brushless if that's what you want. Sometimes in the kits they throw the regular version in which makes it cheaper.
Nah, it was apples to apples.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...odalType=drawer (kit including 2801 and 2850 for 200)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...odalType=drawer (2801 for 120)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...odalType=drawer (2850 for 130)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

gvibes posted:

The combo kit is a way to get you to buy into the battery ecosystem, you are basically paying for 2 batteries + charger and getting a drill + driver for free on the assumption that whenever you buy new tools or replace an old battery you will buy that brand.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also wait for deals where they throw in free batteries or tools with purchase. Most of my M18 purchases came with free batteries and while it's ridiculous to have as many batteries as I do. It's nice not having to constantly pop them back and forth between tools while building something.

Also I'm hoping desperately that Milwaukee releases an M18 power station so I can use them as backup power in emergencies.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

gvibes posted:

Are you surprised that buying more things as a package deal gets you a discount on buying the individual items bought separately? Let me introduce you to warehouse clubs.

Also, the kit is currently on sale, it normally retails closer to $250, which puts it more in-line.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

M18 tool only stuff is a lot cheaper on Amazon and eBay than Home Depot.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Anyone have recommendations for scaffold companies/product lines? I have a lot of high work outdoors to do, and don’t like ladders. Need 3 story tall system, at least two towers.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: Battery and cordless, Makita is currently running a great deal on their sets where you get two free 5 amp hour batteries with a ton of different things

street doc posted:

Anyone have recommendations for scaffold companies/product lines? I have a lot of high work outdoors to do, and don’t like ladders. Need 3 story tall system, at least two towers.

Uh... 3 stories? That’s stupid high... two stories is terrifying enough, even on scaffolding. Why not rent an articulating boom lift or just hire it out? Curious what kind of job is worth buying scaffolding like that vs paying someone else to risk their neck.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Can you recommend a stud finder for me? I want to spend around $30 for a Zircoin at Home Depot, but some of the reviews seem to indicate they don't work too good- and it's scaring me off a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had repeated bad luck with electronic stud finders at my house missing by an inch or two.

I picked up a magnetic one that finds the drywall screws, works every time.