Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That’s what I’m hoping too lmao. That when I catch up I only have a few months to watch. I bough with all the precious parts the final villain was always pretty clear I felt so curious how 8 is going so oddly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's time for part 8 part 2: karera and kyo's new groove

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Flashback guy is just a random punk with a heart of gold and that’s all he was ever meant to be. I don’t know why anyone thinks otherwise.

This always bothered me too, cuz it being just a random, nameless person doing a good deed for the sake of it...fits perfectly with the rest of part 4 thematically, a part that emphasises community and coming together for a greater good. And it sets up Josuke's drive to help other people just for the sake of helping them, which is why I'll still say giving him Crazy Diamond, a stand that can help anyone BUT himself, is maybe the best pairing of a character to a stand power in all of JJBA.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 18, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had always expected it to be him but when it wasn’t I actually loved it as just a good person influencing his life so heavily.

Shizuka I didn’t really click with even when Araki stated the ~metaphor~

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This always bothered me too, cuz it being just a random, nameless person doing a good deed for the sake of it...fits perfectly with the rest of part 4 thematically, a part that emphasises community and coming together for a greater good. And it sets up Josuke's drive to help other people just for the sake of helping them, which is why I'll still say giving him Crazy Diamond, a stand that can help anyone BUT himself, is maybe the best pairing of a character to a stand power in all of JJBA.

Partly agreed, but only because i feel that way about Abacchio/moody blues

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i might be biased but crazy diamond and tusk are probably the best protag stands in terms of connection to their respective jojos

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

The never touched on mystery on why Josuke looks just like this person he modeled himself after.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Flashback guy is just a random punk with a heart of gold and that’s all he was ever meant to be. I don’t know why anyone thinks otherwise.

Conservation of detail? When the author shows you something, you expect it to matter, especially when the scene appears to be setting up a mystery (who was that rude punk). But to be clear I wasn’t under any illusions here:

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like the 'josuke time travel' thing should be dead by now given that araki has literally directly admitted to having no idea what the gently caress he was going to do for the antagonist of part 4 by that point

overmind2000 posted:

It's a question Araki has been asked more than once

Araki doesn’t care about conserving details and has been super open about writing by the seat of his pants. I should’ve worded my post better to make it clear I understand that I guess. I had hoped that SBR was a good indication that the slower publication pace had curbed this habit—and maybe Jojolion will surprise me, and we’ve got another dozen chapters that will tie it all neatly together.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

rko posted:

Conservation of detail? When the author shows you something, you expect it to matter, especially when the scene appears to be setting up a mystery (who was that rude punk).

it matters because it's josuke's motivation to be the person he is and spells out the theme about the Golden Heart of Morioh. the real problem is that other than josuke and that one guy, every rando we meet in morioh seems to be an rear end in a top hat

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

somepartsareme posted:

it matters because it's josuke's motivation to be the person he is and spells out the theme about the Golden Heart of Morioh. the real problem is that other than josuke and that one guy, every rando we meet in morioh seems to be an rear end in a top hat

Tonio Trussardi did nothing wrong

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Me too. And I'm also waiting for part 8 to end so I can read it all in one shot, then join everyone in reading part 9 as it releases.

Only reason I'm waiting is because I'm under the impression that part 8 is close to done. Gonna lol though if it turns out that we've got another few years or something

at nine or ten chapters a year, I don't think it'll be done soon

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
People have been saying it "feels close to being done" since like 2014 because the plot is so boring that they hope it just wraps up soon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rko posted:

Conservation of detail? When the author shows you something, you expect it to matter, especially when the scene appears to be setting up a mystery (who was that rude punk).

You're viewing the scene as a set up, but it's the pay-off of and explanation for Josuke's defensive behavior.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love JoJolion but it's easily the least focused and probably most inconsistent in regards to plot points not being relevant and would have benefit from having a definitive villain maybe 50 (of its 100) issues ago.
I've not done a page count but I'd imagine it's also officially the longest part now, considering SBR didn't begin with 40 page chapters.

And frankly, even though I love JoJo so much and it is the true meaning of life, I'm not sure I want a part 9 if the lack of focus and inconsistency of things being ultimately relevant is going to worsen. If it does happen, and I'd trust Araki to change the formula as he has a lot of form for it, I'd like it to be another this is the end goal, get there thing like Part 3, SBR etc. For all the memes, Araki is actually getting fairly old and JJL has already taken 9 years. Like Karera was cool and she said she'd be back but where is she? Kaato's probably going to be back but I don't think I'd bet large on that mattering hugely.

Basically, I'd be sad but okay with JJL being the end.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 18, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I love JoJolion but it's easily the least focused and probably most inconsistent in regards to plot points not being relevant and would have benefit from having a definitive villain maybe 50 (of its 100) issues ag
I wouldn’t say it’s unfocused exactly—there’s a clear narrative throughline of Josuke figuring out his past and then pursuing the goal he had before he lost his memory—it’s just that it’s a lot more multipolar than the Jojos of old. Used to be that you had a Jojo and a cast of people living Jojo-centric lifestyles. SBR and Jojolion both have lots of well-developed characters pursuing a MacGuffin.

Unlike SBR, Jojolion still lacks a clear final antagonist. It’s interesting that we’ve got several people who could be antagonists at the Higashikata household, just a quick walk to the place where you can eat a fruit and do an underground fusion dance. And damnit if Jobin didn’t just get himself all hosed up.

I’ll be a little disappointed if we don’t have an eight-balled final battle, is all I’m saying.

quote:

And frankly, even though I love JoJo so much and it is the true meaning of life, I'm not sure I want a part 9 if the lack of focus and inconsistency of things being ultimately relevant is going to worsen. If it does happen, and I'd trust Araki to change the formula as he has a lot of form for it, I'd like it to be another this is the end goal, get there thing like Part 3, SBR etc.
Since Part 3, odd-numbered Jojos have gone on very focused adventures, and even-numbered Jojos explore a single place. If he goes on to do a Part 9, I’d bet it’ll be a country/continent/world-spanning affair with a single goal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd be down for a finale involving All The Jojos personally.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Araki should probably call it a day on anymore longform serialised parts after JoJolion, otherwise at his current rate of working it wouldn't be a wrap until his mid 70s. Kind of a shame this part seems to have spun out into nothing after producing his magnum opus with SBR, would be a bit of a lame way to conclude the defining work of his career.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SBR is so good. The start of JoJolion owns a tonne too but I remember it feeling fairly static after that. As a whole that might work better though. 4 was the same though after Kira showed up it was fairly focussed and it sounds like that doesn’t happen in 8. Well it does but the rock guys rather than a singular villain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also looking through the old thread for some stuff found perhaps the funniest set of panels in the manga again

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Also looking through the old thread for some stuff found perhaps the funniest set of panels in the manga again

jotaro sent his stunt double, shameful

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Talking about how hot Jotato is then finding out he buys off the rack

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

EmmyOk posted:

That guy is Jeff Platinum's user.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chapter 100 is up on MangaDex

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Haven’t checked it out yet but Dogpark translations have been spotty so far...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Am I insane or did we know the reveal of this chapter for like three years by now?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What was Mamezuku opening his chest supposed to be showing?
And okay, so Josuke's stand is using the Spin somehow? So?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

goblin week posted:

Am I insane or did we know the reveal of this chapter for like three years by now?

Sort of. We knew they were spinning fibers but we didn’t know the significance. I mean, we still don’t entirely but if the translation is right then we know they’re using the spin/rotation from part 7.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RatHat posted:

What was Mamezuku opening his chest supposed to be showing?
And okay, so Josuke's stand is using the Spin somehow? So?

Rai opening his chest is to show that he's been donuted and will soon die, though it's possible that I REALLY misunderstood that panel. He pointed out that the bubbles were spinning way back at the end of the Urban Guerilla fight so it's probably to explain that some weird bullshit is about to happen.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"Umm... so, personally... this is the first time this has happened, so I'm a bit surprised. Only a centimeter away... I mean, I don't think there's ever been someone who's gotten that close to me... without a, you know... calamity occurring. I'm not really... not really sure what happens at one centimeter away... 'cause it's my first time. I don't really understand it either. Seriously. But in the flow of calamity... there's nobody who can attack me. Not a single person. That, I know for sure. Wonder of U."

Tooru seriously tried to get his own back by flexing on them with his Stand's name. Best main villain speech in the entire series

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have genuine difficulty following what Dadada was doing throughout this chapter

Also - I guess, with this chapter, some insane bullshit is gonna follow

The power of the Spin deflecting every Calamity? Drawing in fate, similar to what Johnny did to Valentine?

???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So if they beat Wonder of U with Spin bullshit does that mean Wonder of U is basically just invincible otherwise? From how it's explained it sounds like even Dio with time stopped would get wrecked by a calamity if he tried to attack it. I was really hoping they'd find some loophole in its power but doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm living vicariously through spoilerboxes right now as i still haven't caught up on the past few chapters but i've always assumed that since gappy was created under the tree where the corpse was housed for a bit and johnny died that there's like a 99% chance that some combination of the both of those or one or the other have somehow transferred aspects to the overall fusion whether it's through discarded, buried parts of the bodies or just the general vibe of it being a 'place of power' along the lines of like the devil's palm

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RatHat posted:

So if they beat Wonder of U with Spin bullshit does that mean Wonder of U is basically just invincible otherwise? From how it's explained it sounds like even Dio with time stopped would get wrecked by a calamity if he tried to attack it. I was really hoping they'd find some loophole in its power but doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.

Theoretically you could beat with him with an area of effect Stand, like if Green Day was carpet bombing Morioh there isn't much Tooru could do unless Cioccolata was specifically targeting him. Alternatively, Diavolo could get around the calamities by predicting them with Epitaph and attacking Wonder of U when it's disoriented after a time skip

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

In theory, you beat Wonder of U by leading him into a trap. Gappy successfully baited him to come to the fruit room, after all, so we know THAT is safe. DIO couldn't directly attack him, but Kira could probably get him by planting a secret bomb, like with Fatty. Considering Gappy is half Kira, I'm guessing that's how he'll be taken down.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

overmind2000 posted:

"Umm... so, personally... this is the first time this has happened, so I'm a bit surprised. Only a centimeter away... I mean, I don't think there's ever been someone who's gotten that close to me... without a, you know... calamity occurring. I'm not really... not really sure what happens at one centimeter away... 'cause it's my first time. I don't really understand it either. Seriously. But in the flow of calamity... there's nobody who can attack me. Not a single person. That, I know for sure. Wonder of U."

Tooru seriously tried to get his own back by flexing on them with his Stand's name. Best main villain speech in the entire series

It looks really bad when you see it put in one line instead of ten pages. I guess that's a failsafe of a manga writing. goblin week.

Torquemadras posted:

I have genuine difficulty following what Dadada was doing throughout this chapter

The colored edition might shed some light on that, because Jojolion is the first non-colorized Jojo I'm reading and boy oh boy is Araki's style weird with this part's high kinetic energy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm living vicariously through spoilerboxes right now as i still haven't caught up on the past few chapters but i've always assumed that since gappy was created under the tree where the corpse was housed for a bit and johnny died that there's like a 99% chance that some combination of the both of those or one or the other have somehow transferred aspects to the overall fusion whether it's through discarded, buried parts of the bodies or just the general vibe of it being a 'place of power' along the lines of like the devil's palm

Gappy's bubbles have the same split as his eyes and tongue so it's likely that Josefumi and Kira's bubbles also unknowingly used the Spin

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

This was actually the first chapter I could SORT OF follow along with it. It appeared under the desk, then flung its "stinger" up to hit Gappy from behind, who was on top. When Gappy would turn to face where the stinger came from, Dadada would attack from a different angle.

Gappy attack down through the desk, using the bubbles to uhh....transfer the damage through to the bottom, I think? Or he used the bubbles to dig through the desk, which I guess they can do now?

Then Dadada appeared above Gappy, traveling along the walls I think.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

EmmyOk posted:

No star on his shirt, looks like kind of a dipshit... Oh god, Pucci used this guy as the template for the Jotaro in the fake timeline

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The worst part of this chapter

No new chapter next month :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"Umm..." perfectly encapsulates my feelings on this chapter. So, like, were the bubbles coming out of Rai or colliding w him? Wondering if the Spin is how they can "steal" concepts or if it's something new?