Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Mithaldu posted:

I ... your entire post is chock full of misconceptions about covid, regarding how it spreads, regarding how often medical personnel get it, regarding how medical personnel operate, regarding what masks do, regarding what disinfo affects people.

Wear your mask to protect others and shut the ever-loving gently caress up.

Also, remember this: If you tell A NORMAL loving PERSON "covid is NOT airborne", they will go "alright, it only spreads if i lick a person or the spit of a person on an object", which is dead loving wrong and leads to worse misbehavior than anything else could.

You shut the gently caress up, rear end in a top hat. They're specifying the difference between airborne and droplet transmission, and it's a meaningful one. You're making up a scenario where what they're saying could possibly be taken wrong as if that's a mistake on their part and not on the person who failed to read their post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Healthcare workers are coming down with COVID like mad.

COVID patients were put in negative‐pressure rooms, but those ran out fast.

hth

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
whew man, just ... go argue with these articles i guesshttps://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1285465200502755328https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1293340312484675584https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1294999730867634178

Platystemon posted:

Healthcare workers are coming down with COVID like mad.

COVID patients were put in negative‐pressure rooms, but those ran out fast.

hth
i know EMT workers who gown and triple mask up and still got the poo poo

also there's evidence that UK health workers get sick a lot more than US health workers because the UK hospitals tend to have poo poo or no ventilation

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's not the measles. it can spread in the air in some cases but the only area of real risk is in unventilated spaces over a longer period of time (more than a couple of minutes at least)

you don't have a good understanding of the meaning behind those articles if you shove them in people's faces saying they will get infected by airborne transmission, sorry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The snake is not poisonous!” I cry, as my friend lays dying of envenomation.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 19, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So airborne in that case means little droplets that take a long time to disappear and can fly for a while can infect someone ?
Haven't we known this for a while re:the roni ?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

So airborne in that case means little droplets that take a long time to disappear and can fly for a while can infect someone ?

yep, and then some nerds go "BUT AIRBORNE MEANS THE VIRUS CAN FLY UNASSISTED YOU SPREAD MISINFORMATION IF YOU CALL IT AIRBORNE"

also there's the difference between: "we know this" and "a study proved it"

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

“The snake is not poisonous!” I cry, as my friend lays dying of envenomation.

“You are correct,” I smugly declare. “The snake is venomous, not poisonous. A distinction that should matter to all of us, but especially to your dying friend.”

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

“You are correct,” I smugly declare. “The snake is venomous, not poisonous. A distinction that should matter to all of us, but especially to your dying friend.”

:thejoke:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

it can spread in the air in some cases but the only area of real risk is in unventilated spaces over a longer period of time (more than a couple of minutes at least)
Is this accurate? To clarify the question, what are the implications of this for something like grocery shopping, assuming folks are wearing masks? Are people with covid going to be shedding a bunch of aerosols through their masks? It seems like cloth masks obviously make a difference for reducing transmission, so if aerosols are a thing, is it mostly a concern for something like restaurants, where people seem to be assuming that sitting 6+ feet apart is sufficient even with masks off?

Bear with me; my brain feels like cement after months of undersleeping and I can't make sense of this debate :psyduck:

Regardless, it's also true that you absolutely shouldn't tell the average person that "it's not airborne," even if it's scientifically accurate. It only matters what they hear, not what you say, and "it's not airborne!" == "masks are dumb" to most people.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Fenarisk posted:

It's not airborne, it's droplet, which is something we've known for quite some time. This is a big distinction because if it WAS airborne then anything less than an N95 is completely worthless, so either you'll get people going "so what" and not wearing masks, or there's a huge run on N95's again and people that need them can't get them.

This... has been established, though. If you're the only one in the room wearing a mask, and it's not N95 or better, you're totally boned.

That's why rudimentary masks must be worn by everyone to be even remotely effective.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturgis-south-dakota-rally-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

First batch of infections from the Sturgis motorcycle rally. If you remember, this was a mass gathering of over 200k people, and barely anyone was wearing a mask

quote:

(CNN)A person who spent hours at a bar during the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota last week has tested positive for Covid-19, state health officials said Tuesday.

The potential exposure came during the city's 80th annual Sturgis motorcycle rally August 7-16.

Health experts were concerned the mass gathering could be a "super-spreader" event, as many attendees travel from all over the country -- including coronavirus hotspots -- and could bring infections back home when they return.

The bar-goer visited One-Eyed Jack's Saloon in Sturgis on August 11 from noon to 5:30 p.m. while able to transmit the virus to others, health officials said. Anyone who visited the saloon during that period should monitor for symptoms for 14 days after the visit.
Many of those gathered did not wear masks or keep distance from others, most notably at a concert for the rock band Smash Mouth.

The potential exposure at the Sturgis bar is one of several Covid-19 cases connected to bars and concerts over the past few weeks in South Dakota. Officials have also announced possible exposures at a Big and Rich concert at the Sioux Empire Fair in Sioux Falls, a gentleman's club in Sioux Falls, a bar in Hill City and a nightclub in Brookings.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 19, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Honestly if we all stopped doing stuff on the outside of our homes we probably wouldn't get sick. Just my two cents.

someone reanimate asimov and get him to work.

veni veni veni posted:

Well folks, I didn't think it would happen, but I got to see my first in person boomer mask related public meltdown today. Watching a 50 year old man stomp around and scream like a loving toddler in public was something else.

i see people w/o masks any time i go out. I saw an old person just coughing up a storm with no mask in walmart and i went to lady making sure everyone is 6ft apart at the registers and was like yo wtf look at that guy. she told me they were told not to confront anyone as its a security risk by the store manager. And since the only mask I have just protects others if I have the roni I probably have the roni now since he was walking around pushing his cart down the end cap aisles.

snergle fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 19, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/us/sturgis-south-dakota-rally-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

First batch of infections from the Sturgis motorcycle rally. If you remember, this was a mass gathering of over 200k people, and barely anyone was wearing a mask

If only someone was there to tell them the world was gonna roll them. :(

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Glumslinger posted:

462k, according to the article :negative:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

462k, according to the article :negative:

Holy poo poo I thought it was like 5,000 people.

Our country deserves what is coming.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

smoobles posted:

Holy poo poo I thought it was like 5,000 people.

Our country deserves what is coming.
Apparently a majority of the town voted against the rally, but officials didn't think they could stop it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 19, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Glumslinger posted:

I never heard of anyone dying to see Smash Mouth before, but here we are.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Smash Mouth full of Rona droplets

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

We've known this very early when the Chinese restaurant scientific case showed sitting in the path of vents at a restaurant caused one person who has been infected to contaminate basically everyone. This was well before businesses even thought about shutting down. My coworkers thought I was being weird closing off my vent. A week later we were all told to work from home.

It's NOT news. I guess people just need to scream about it louder because they started to let people eat indoors again and it's loving stupid.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
worth noting still in that case not everybody in the restaurant got it

the danger is real but if we can know the risk we can know what to do about it

edit: of course remember the superspreading event in SK with the church. in the right environment it spreads like wildfire. so we really need to all know exactly what that environment is so it can be avoided

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 19, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rexxed posted:

I'd consider a good quality mask and goggles and properly decontaminating when you get home instead. I get the desire to be fully protected but you probably have greater risk being attacked by chuds wearing something that looks like hazmat gear. When I get home from a trip to the store or if I have to go do some work, I make sure I take off whatever I was wearing and wash off in the shower, making sure to try to wash away from my eyes, nose, or mouth. I wore a respirator with P100 filters at first but I've switched to the KN95 masks as it's difficult to be understood in the former.

That said, I'm pro pandemic chic in this stupid year and I'd just watch some videos about PAPR stuff, there seem to be a lot about how to properly don them on youtube, mostly made for medical personnel. Also, I'm just assuming chuds in Texas since while I haven't been there in a few years it was 50% pickup trucks last time I was in San Antonio. In NJ everyone wears masks and incidents where people don't make the news.

Less worried about chud freakout, since my shopping would be in Austin. I want a PAPR so I can actually visit my family/hug them (and then change out of my clothes and douse myself in hand sanitizer before driving home). Plus Texas poll workers are allowed to ask me to remove my mask to identify myself before voting, so a full clear face mask would hopefully dodge that requirement.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm out of hairbands. Then I looked at the mask I hadn't thrown away yet.
Just clip off the elastics and tie them together and you've got yourself a little hachimaki.

Junbi ga dekite imasu!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

:3:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Philthy posted:

We've known this very early when the Chinese restaurant scientific case showed sitting in the path of vents at a restaurant caused one person who has been infected to contaminate basically everyone. This was well before businesses even thought about shutting down. My coworkers thought I was being weird closing off my vent. A week later we were all told to work from home.

It's NOT news. I guess people just need to scream about it louder because they started to let people eat indoors again and it's loving stupid.

It's news because the expert consensus seems to be shifting towards aerosol transmission being a significant vector in everyday settings (which was not always the case) while none of the guidelines really take it seriously. Like just look at the last two pages where some goon decided to start yammering about droplets in response, obviously this is news to them

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 19, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

also see all the schools/offices/whatever going "yeah we wipe every surface every 2 minutes and air out the room twice a day"

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Friend tested positive over 4 weeks ago when she saw the doc about being preggers. She had recently been to my mother in laws, who was over at our house to drop things off. She masked and distanced of course. Well, she told us about the friend, and said she wanted to get tested. Obviously we were like, "Great! Do that, let us know the result and in the mean time we will isolate 2 weeks." Well, she told her manager(s) at the hand and microsurgery center she is a sanitation tech at, and they were like, well if you're not symptomatic, dont bother, cancel the test and be back at work. She did exactly that. :cripes:

Edit: we cant get tested either until we show symptoms.

But I guess the point of this story is that the medical center is bad, and are clearly protecting themselves from having to stop business

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

that's another loving thing that somehow isn't communicated usefully either:

you spread the virus even if you're not coughing/sniffling :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

interwhat posted:

Edit: we cant get tested either until we show symptoms.

Do you not have testing sites run by the local/state government or go to your PCP for a test? Or are they all requiring that you show symptoms first

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Could it be said that the virus emanates off of us like stink?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you not have testing sites run by the local/state government or go to your PCP for a test? Or are they all requiring that you show symptoms first

All requiring symptoms :(

At this point Im not sure what good it will do anyway. The kid starts school, 2 days a week, in a few weeks. 2 days or 5 days it only takes 1 day to bring home that sweet sweet rona to ma and pa

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The virus reveals a lot about how grossly selfish people are both as individuals and acting as organizations. "Oh you might be exposed? Well as long as you're not symptomatic come on in! We're willing to risk you spreading the virus as long as there's no positive test that could make us liable."

America really needs an organization with some teeth to sue businesses pulling poo poo like this, a CDC + OSHA hybrid regulatory agency maybe?

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

interwhat posted:

All requiring symptoms :(

I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, but if you have a reasonable expectation that you've been exposed and the only thing stopping you from getting tested is that you have yet to show symptoms.... lie. poo poo, it's entirely possible you wont have to lie since iirc coughing, headache, and nausea are on the list. Done any of that lately?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

interwhat posted:

Could it be said that the virus emanates off of us like stink?

oh god, that comparison tracks IMPRESSIVELY well

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Strangest Finch posted:

I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, but if you have a reasonable expectation that you've been exposed and the only thing stopping you from getting tested is that you have yet to show symptoms.... lie. poo poo, it's entirely possible you wont have to lie since iirc coughing, headache, and nausea are on the list. Done any of that lately?

Yeah, this. Just say head/muscle ache, and loss of taste and smell. Maybe tests are running desperately low where he is or something.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It's news because the expert consensus seems to be shifting towards aerosol transmission being a significant vector in everyday settings (which was not always the case) while none of the guidelines really take it seriously. Like just look at the last two pages where some goon decided to start yammering about droplets in response, obviously this is news to them

I wouldn't call daily emails and updates in my hospital system from both CDC and the state health department recommending droplet precautions for PPE when our department spends 45+ minutes with less than a foot between us and patients "yammering" but what do public health officials know I guess.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

The Strangest Finch posted:

The rules may have changed, I was isolated for 2 weeks, like at least a week ago. The only ailments I've had lately are drinking to excess and spontaneous sobbing. I was really happy there for a little while there.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1296182788111114242

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1296166718142914561

http://covid-exposure-modeler-data-devils.cloud.duke.edu/

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1294245502234615810

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 19, 2020

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

As a sidenote, I wish people would just link the stories rather than tweets from that idiot who tweets "This is huge" about every goddamn story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I used one of those urinals that automatically release water. After 5 secs I got treated to a fine mist of warm truck stop piss blown directly in my face because of the stupid amount of pressure. You really can't catch a break in 2020

im praying for you robinhood. please remember to always wear your face shield.