Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I mean it's definitely ramped down from how bad it was before.

He peeped on the public bathouse while invisible and stayed in the prostitute building while nami and carrot got chased by Big Mom. He's still trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Julias posted:

He peeped on the public bathouse while invisible and stayed in the prostitute building while nami and carrot got chased by Big Mom. He's still trash.

I said ramped down which it has. I didn’t say it wasn’t bad, just not as bad as the Fishman Island/ Punk Hazard days

To clarify a bit, in Fishman island he was constantly being gross with the mermaids and on Punk Hazard he was doing creepy poo poo while in Nami’s body constantly. I’ll take one scene of him being gross in Wano over that stuff happening every other chapter

Asuron fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 17, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sanji experiencing a loss of blood from seeing hot mermaids and it being treated as a source of legitimate dramatic tension was just....man, it's not even a gag at that point

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It was a gag meant for a manga 40 years ago, when Goku was patting Bulma's panties as wondering where her tail was. The best thing to do post time-skip would've been for all the Straw Hats to overcome their comedy weaknesses accidentally, like when Zoro was bragging about being the first back to the ship or him accidentally stumbling upon where he was despite running the wrong direction immediately.

Would've been a good subversion after Pudding for him to retain his White Knight type personality and protect/save all women and have them fall for him but him just saying lame poo poo like "I've got a girl back home waiting for me"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Julias posted:

actually, hes a hero.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Julias posted:

To be fair, the prostitute building thing is 100% going to lead to him doing his big subterfuge moment this arc since he has disappeared for several chapters now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tir McDohl posted:

To be fair, the prostitute building thing is 100% going to lead to him doing his big subterfuge moment this arc since he has disappeared for several chapters now.

I wonder if he put the Raid Suit on and has been standing next to Momo waiting for the perfect moment to take the kid to safety.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sanji died from blood loss 2 chapters ago

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Would've been a good subversion after Pudding for him to retain his White Knight type personality and protect/save all women and have them fall for him but him just saying lame poo poo like "I've got a girl back home waiting for me"
Just reading this made me chuckle more than any instance of Sanji being extremely horny.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He should not of rolled back Pudding and let him have some sort of actual character development.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Brook just wants to see panties because he'll never bone again :yohoho:

Brook is happy to be alive with friends, and is making the best of a really crazy situation that would drive a lesser man mad.

Sanji is definitely a creep but he'd also be a loyal one woman person and cut that poo poo out and settle down if anyone would give him the time of day.

He needs to grow up and have a woman teach him, but he hasn't had an opportunity and it's not going to happen in a shojun manga unless he does get married and epilogue stuff.

It feels weird making this post. They're both probably misguided virgins and not going for harrassment, but I can see how it could be read that way.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I always parsed Brook's more as a bawdy joke to get a reaction rather than legitimately wanting to see panties.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

A Bug posted:

I always parsed Brook's more as a bawdy joke to get a reaction rather than legitimately wanting to see panties.
I was just making a dark skull joke. Yeah that ^

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

Oda clearly thinks Sanji's treatment of women is goofy and innocent. If I agreed, I'd really like Sanji. I... don't agree. It's a shame.

I think this kind of hits the nail on the head. One Piece as a whole kind of has a childish nature about it, and Sanji is definitely the same. His antics come off as harmless "boys will be boys" sort of thing, which definitely doesn't fly nowadays. I think that it is worth noting that Oda has never really painted Sanji's antics in a particularly positive light, he's always called out for it and always punished for it, so at least the series isn't glorifying his actions or anything like that. Granted, none of the punishments are really meaningful in any way - Nami or whoever punches Sanji and calls him a jerk then life moves on and everyone forgets about it. So ultimately the text delivers the message that what Sanji does is bad, but not really majorly harmful. Like a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar or something - they'll get in trouble for doing it, but it's not worth seriously punishing them for it because ultimately it's harmless. Of course doing these sorts of things is NOT ultimately harmless, but Oda seems to think it is - or at least, is willing to portray it as such.

A part of me wonders how much control Jump editors have over the series, actually. It wouldn't be too terribly surprising if Jump put pressure on Oda to keep Sanji lecherous to appeal to the young boy demographic that the comic is popular with. Even with the juggernaut that was DBZ after the Frieza saga, there was pressure from the editors that heavily influenced how the Android and Cell sagas played out. It wouldn't surprise me if this may be the case here, since Whole Cake seemed to havea big focus on Sanji developing more as a character beyond that one aspect, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I extremely doubt that sanji acts the way he does out of some editorial pressure on oda

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, a cursory glance at literally any SBS corner will tell you that Sanji is probably the character Oda feels most affinity with

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah, a cursory glance at literally any SBS corner will tell you that Sanji is probably the character Oda feels most affinity with

So Sanji is Mineta from My Hero Academia then? Except that there was a period of time where we actually liked him...

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think this kind of hits the nail on the head. One Piece as a whole kind of has a childish nature about it, and Sanji is definitely the same. His antics come off as harmless "boys will be boys" sort of thing, which definitely doesn't fly nowadays. I think that it is worth noting that Oda has never really painted Sanji's antics in a particularly positive light, he's always called out for it and always punished for it, so at least the series isn't glorifying his actions or anything like that. Granted, none of the punishments are really meaningful in any way - Nami or whoever punches Sanji and calls him a jerk then life moves on and everyone forgets about it. So ultimately the text delivers the message that what Sanji does is bad, but not really majorly harmful. Like a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar or something - they'll get in trouble for doing it, but it's not worth seriously punishing them for it because ultimately it's harmless. Of course doing these sorts of things is NOT ultimately harmless, but Oda seems to think it is - or at least, is willing to portray it as such.

A part of me wonders how much control Jump editors have over the series, actually. It wouldn't be too terribly surprising if Jump put pressure on Oda to keep Sanji lecherous to appeal to the young boy demographic that the comic is popular with. Even with the juggernaut that was DBZ after the Frieza saga, there was pressure from the editors that heavily influenced how the Android and Cell sagas played out. It wouldn't surprise me if this may be the case here, since Whole Cake seemed to havea big focus on Sanji developing more as a character beyond that one aspect, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

The "doesn't fly nowadays" only applies in certain parts of the west. That viewpoint is a lot weaker in Japan and in general throughout the rest of the world. He just doesn't think Sanji's behaviour is as highly inappropriate as you do.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Only two more days till the chapter... Only two more days of Sanji posts...

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

Only two more days till the chapter... Only two more days of Sanji posts...

Especially appropriate since it's (nonspecific future spoiler) a big one for Sanji.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tolth posted:

Especially appropriate since it's (nonspecific future spoiler) a big one for Sanji.

im pretty cool with eating poo poo and seeing Sanji get a Cool Moment again after basically starting this discourse but I’m expecting to be let down.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Tolth posted:

The "doesn't fly nowadays" only applies in certain parts of the west. That viewpoint is a lot weaker in Japan and in general throughout the rest of the world. He just doesn't think Sanji's behaviour is as highly inappropriate as you do.

This sure is a hosed up thing that you just said.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i can't wait to see luffy slug kaido in the gd face!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sorry, to clarify, i mean i want to see luffy slug kaido but it actually hurt him unlike last time, where it was like a slight breeze

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tolth posted:

First of all, Japan also has a feminist movement; this is not just a case of outside criticism (as your post seems to imply, at least by my reading). That Oda doesn't see that sort of behaviour as inappropriate is quite evident, but that doesn't mean he's justified in that assumption. Also, Sanji is quite an extreme case even by shonen manga standards.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i want the scabbards to beat kaido, and luffy to beat big mom

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

brook hadn't seen a woman in like half a century before the straw hats took him in

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Kaido does a face as he's about to get punched.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope Kaido does a face as he's about to get punched.

Remember when he turned into a giant violent dragon and the very next chapter he was extremely drunk and gave everyone a goofy dragon face?

I like One Piece.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Carpator Diei posted:

Also, Sanji is quite an extreme case even by shonen manga standards.

call me back when Sanji accidentally trips over a girl and then his whole hand accidentally finds its way onto her bare breast by accident and then he accidentally squeezes several times while comical noises play totally on accident, i.e a scene that I've seen in probably every other shonen anime/manga that I've given a shot in the past decade

like Sanji is lovely in this regard but pretending like it's a particularly egregious example while literally every other anime is nonstop uncomfortably lecherous bullshit is a big funny

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

call me back when Sanji accidentally trips over a girl and then his whole hand accidentally finds its way onto her bare breast by accident and then he accidentally squeezes several times while comical noises play totally on accident, i.e a scene that I've seen in probably every other shonen anime/manga that I've given a shot in the past decade

like Sanji is lovely in this regard but pretending like it's a particularly egregious example while literally every other anime is nonstop uncomfortably lecherous bullshit is a big funny

Hmm yeah okay, maybe my reference pool is a bit too small to make that sort of statement :v:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Bleck posted:

There was that scene when Sanji was in Nami's body and he flashed her boobs to the others. That wasn't very cool.

I think the only time he's laid a hand on a woman is when he accidentally groped Nami's tit for a speed boost in Punk Hazard. It's played for laughs and whatever, but at the same time he's not handsy. Just a creep.

Whether or not that makes it better (it doesn't) is up to you.

I think the worse culprit of dirty humor is Momonosuke. I loving hate all those scenes of Nami and Robin coddling him and he gives a dirty look while he's face first in their chests. For some reason that's significantly grosser to me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the worse culprit of dirty humor is Momonosuke. I loving hate all those scenes of Nami and Robin coddling him and he gives a dirty look while he's face first in their chests. For some reason that's significantly grosser to me.

hard agree, it especially undercuts how he's supposed to be the son of, and look up to, one of the story's most upstanding men

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Oden started going to the red light district when he was six and was gambling and drinking by 8. Not that that makes it any better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

my parents boyfriend posted:

Oden started going to the red light district when he was six and was gambling and drinking by 8. Not that that makes it any better.

For a hot minute I saw "Oda" and lost my friggin mind

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i want the scabbards to beat kaido, and luffy to beat big mom

Unfortunately there's no way the scabbards beat Kaido without Luffy's help.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I like One Piece.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bleck posted:

hard agree, it especially undercuts how he's supposed to be the son of, and look up to, one of the story's most upstanding men

Oden was still a wildman

Agreed about Momo though, extremely gross

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been reading random chapters and lol at this

I really hope Blackbeard has like 100 fodder subcaptains in his armada and theyre all some kind of Xbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dogbeard
Yellowbeard
Ringbeard
Violetbeard
Beardbeard