Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Turn it into a secured data center?

I'd bet trying to retrofit in the necessary electrical and HVAC systems would cost more than the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
OK, fine, if you want lovely construction/interior design

https://twitter.com/cambrian_era/status/1295045710396571648

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't afford that; I'm out of pocket

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
At least they've got pants

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Warmachine posted:

If I had $350k and lived in Missouri, I'd be all over it. Not sure what I'd do with the jail, but hey.
Haunted House obviously

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also love how they took sequential pictures of the prison doors and their view holes in various states of openness, made going through the pictures feel like an old point and click adventure game.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, fine, if you want lovely construction/interior design

https://twitter.com/cambrian_era/status/1295045710396571648

You can pants if you want to

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What Was I Scared Of?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

You can pants if you want to

Cause your friends don't pants and if they don't pants than they're no friends of mine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warmachine posted:

If I had $350k and lived in Missouri, I'd be all over it. Not sure what I'd do with the jail, but hey.

This is going to describe Lowtax soon, and I’m afraid he has some ideas for the jail.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Turn it into a secured data center?

:hmmyes: Supermax Data Security

Platystemon posted:

This is going to describe Lowtax soon, and I’m afraid he has some ideas for the jail.

:randno:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Quills posted:

The door to nowhere. Previous owner. They half rear end started a lot of things, I think they were planning on a roof deck that never materialized.

I would stand there every morning with the door open, balls to the wind, greeting the new day.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Vacation beach house this year features a stairway with a death step:

The trip trim on the top three steps, a bad idea to begin with, is loose as a bonus.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mother in law's wing

Jows
May 8, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

Vacation beach house this year features a stairway with a death step:

The trip trim on the top three steps, a bad idea to begin with, is loose as a bonus.

To be fair, there's just no way to know how the stairs will line up until you finish.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jows posted:

To be fair, there's just no way to know how the stairs will line up until you finish.

:hmmyes:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Scarodactyl posted:

What Was I Scared Of?

I do not think these pale blue pants are just as scared of me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Scarodactyl posted:

Survivorship bias is real but so are shifts in design and business philosophy.
I am into microscopes and they, for instance, are absolutely not made like they used to be.

You're right. I should have said "most things".

PurpleXVI posted:

Seems like a very shallow dig for outdoor plumbing. I know around here anything not buried 1.5m down isn't expected to survive a reasonably cold winter.

I live in North Texas. A reasonably cold winter might get below freezing a few days around here. The frost line *is* the ground.

ntan1 posted:

This is how it worked in my house. you have to cut through the foundation re-do it after the sewer lines and plumbing are installed.

They were going to do that, still routing out and around to avoid almost literally cutting the foundation in half (kitchen is on the opposite corner from the sewer outlet), but it turned out that digging in was actually less expensive, and way less disrupting to me personally.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Loool is that grover?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Holy poo poo :bisonyes:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dillbag posted:

There nothing wrong with that hou... Ohhhhhhh

That would be so great, I'd never need a bigger gun safe.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phanatic posted:

That would be so great, I'd never need a bigger gun safe.

Dress it up and you got a sick dungeon for DnD night.

But really, as long as the "historical" nature of the house doesn't preclude it, I'd invest the backbreaking labor to strip it and have the most kickin' rad attached light industrial space ever. Workshop, helloooooo

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Feels like the set of an unreleased M. Night movie.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sirotan posted:

I'd bet trying to retrofit in the necessary electrical and HVAC systems would cost more than the house.

I agree. My server room that I ran years ago had 2 rooftop A/C units that run 24/7. It kept my server room at 54 deg f. It was cold as hell. The power required it's own 400v input. It had 15 circuits. That was 300 square feet.

That was for 10 servers, 15 switches, and a Nortell Option 11.

That ain't cheap. The power usage is absurd and the data usage is absurd. My server room was nothing compared to the server room that we had at the next company I worked for. That was "X" number of Blade servers running full tilt with differential data inputs, two backup gen sets, a UPS that could run the whole data center for an hour before the gen sets kick on. It also had the weirdo that was hired just to walk around and reboot boxes when necessary. The room was clean so you had to call. It was loud as hell. Must have been 200+ 1U servers running.

Data centers are not affordable. They don't have the power or the cooling.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

mostlygray posted:

I agree. My server room that I ran years ago had 2 rooftop A/C units that run 24/7. It kept my server room at 54 deg f. It was cold as hell. The power required it's own 400v input. It had 15 circuits. That was 300 square feet.

That was for 10 servers, 15 switches, and a Nortell Option 11.

That ain't cheap. The power usage is absurd and the data usage is absurd. My server room was nothing compared to the server room that we had at the next company I worked for. That was "X" number of Blade servers running full tilt with differential data inputs, two backup gen sets, a UPS that could run the whole data center for an hour before the gen sets kick on. It also had the weirdo that was hired just to walk around and reboot boxes when necessary. The room was clean so you had to call. It was loud as hell. Must have been 200+ 1U servers running.

Data centers are not affordable. They don't have the power or the cooling.

All I'm hearing is this house is an opportunity to combine the Crappy Construction and OSHA threads.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Run a grow op in the jail.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Platystemon posted:

And when legal weed comes to MO it'll become a dispensary.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

And the cops can't do nothin' coz the weed's already in prison

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

corgski posted:

And when legal weed comes to MO it'll become a dispensary.

Very optimistic. As long as the proprietor is alive the spiteful members of the local govt will assure you live in a dry county. Two things are certain in small town, they'll know everything about you, and do all they can to hold you back.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I’m used to the growers in the rural areas I’ve lived being the good ol’ boys themselves who just happen to get a pass from everyone because they’re also running the FD or the borough’s sole heavy equipment operator or whatnot. Anyone else who tries to edge in on their turf gets staties weaponized against them but weirdly everyone keeps the secret for their buddy at the borough office.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
From a friends new apartment

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When the GC blocks a drawer he opens a cupboard.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Reddit OP asks "my landlord's contractor just installed this, is it safe?"

:stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Safe for the landlord and the contractor, neither of whom have to live there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That is going to blow CO straight out the water heater exhaust when it's running, that's a manslaughter exhaust.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Time to advertise "Fast suicide room for discerning clientele, very efficient".

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Time to advertise "Fast suicide room for discerning clientele, very efficient".

If the thread title hadn't just been changed two days ago I'd be changing it to this.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Man it must have been awkward living in your jail.

*taking a piss, tapping starts on wall*

*muffled* HEY SHERIFF MY SISTER HAS MY BAIL

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 20, 2020