Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

tildes posted:

The whole world of Baru is such a well thought out analogue to imperialism in the real world, and touches like the one above definitely contribute to that. Falcrest is not just a faceless evil empire- instead the underlying history/internal logic and motivations which causes a bunch of not-really-evil people to do awful things is so well laid out. It really feels like you’ve come away with a new understanding of imperialism in the real world after reading about it in this fictional one.
I'm coming to appreciate it like I do the anti-capitalist themes represented by the city of Letheras in the Malazan series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
There's a new K.J. Parker novel out as of yesterday: How to Rule an Empire & Get Away with It. It's sort of a sequel to Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City.

Sadly, there is almost no way to read anything about it, even the slightest blurb, without spoilers. Then again, if you like K.J. Parker, you already pretty much know what you're getting. Here's what Publisher's Weekly thought.

I do happen to like K.J. Parker, a lot, and have wondered why I don't see his stuff promoted often or in many places.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I read this over a holiday last year and it has this slow pace that I found really relaxing. One of my favourites! Also another of the "read the first book not rest" club.

Interesting! I think Red Mars is the most immediately compelling of the trilogy, but they're all good, and very much a sum-of-their-parts deal. I read it as a much younger man and originally thought it was a flaw to kill off the three most interesting characters in the first book, but I've subsequently read other opinions which describe it as a clever move to change the tone and pace of the trilogy by removing the alpha male main leads and letting female characters (plus people like Sax) take centre stage in what becomes a book which is less about aggressive revolution and ultimately more about peaceful political compromise and building more utopian societies..

He also released a collection of short stories called The Martians which is pointless cutting room floor stuff, but does contain one very good short story, Michel in Antarctica, which is about the psychologist analysing the group at the very beginning in the training mission in Antarctica. I remember it being boring all the way through except for the final line, which is brilliant, and which only works if you've read the entire Mars trilogy first.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

freebooter posted:

He also released a collection of short stories called The Martians which is pointless cutting room floor stuff, but does contain one very good short story, Michel in Antarctica, which is about the psychologist analysing the group at the very beginning in the training mission in Antarctica. I remember it being boring all the way through except for the final line, which is brilliant, and which only works if you've read the entire Mars trilogy first.
Could you spoil that? It's been so long.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone read anything by Matthew Mather? This popped up on an ad and it seems like a mess, but maybe in a fun way?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

freebooter posted:

He also released a collection of short stories called The Martians which is pointless cutting room floor stuff,

It's not pointless, all those are good slice-of-(anaerobic)-life stories. I can see why, as anecdotes about Mars, you'd cut them from novels that are already long, but if you're interested in the setting, they're very much worth reading. I particularly enjoyed climbing Mount Olympus.

YMMV.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I remember enjoying the Martians.

It was just vignettes of Mars set during all three of the books.

I can see why you'd call it cutting room stuff but to me it was more of a welcome return to a story I really liked.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Could you spoil that? It's been so long.

So basically, it just feels like a straight prequel story about something we already got glimpses of in the trilogy, about the assessment program they ran in Antarctica, told from Michel's POV. And it seems pretty pointless and dull because it's about a lot of characters who either die off or prove otherwise minor, or... just doesn't really feel like it adds anything worthwhile to the story. And the ending of it is Michel giving his final evaluations to the higher-ups, including the presidents of the US and Russia, and he doesn't feel confident about the psychological impact of sending this group to Mars indefinitely. And the presidents are conferring back and forth, and agree that they have many other political problems and don't necessarily want to engage in such a high stakes programs right now, it feels like the cons outweigh the pros. And the final line of the story is "So they cancelled the project." I just thought it was a really great hoodwinking on KSR's part, making you think it's just a character study, when in fact it's a demonstration of just how easily all this 1000+ pages of 200 years of future history, all the experiences these characters have, the utopian society they eventually built, could have just so easily not happened. It was definitely more impactful on me since I read it more or less right after finishing the trilogy.

mllaneza posted:

It's not pointless, all those are good slice-of-(anaerobic)-life stories. I can see why, as anecdotes about Mars, you'd cut them from novels that are already long, but if you're interested in the setting, they're very much worth reading. I particularly enjoyed climbing Mount Olympus.

YMMV.

branedotorg posted:

I remember enjoying the Martians.

It was just vignettes of Mars set during all three of the books.

I can see why you'd call it cutting room stuff but to me it was more of a welcome return to a story I really liked.

Yeah fair enough. I certainly don't think it's something he shouldn't have published, or anything.

One other story I really remember the tone and atmosphere of - and I guess it is a slice of life vignette, not a story - was just about a guy going for a hike around his local post-terraforming caldera early in the morning before anyone else in his household is awake, and appreciating the beauty of it. That's it. In fact maybe it's just five months of lockdown talking but I kinda wish I had my copy to hand so I could read that again.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I finished Baru 3 last night. It was great and I'm going to leave an amazon review next (do amazons .com and .ca collate review numbers or seperate them?)

Some thoughts:
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Over There is fascinating to me as well. Perpetual lightning continent? Hell yeah. Is Starfall Bay where a meteor struck, or something exploded forever ago? Everyone knows there's a Supercontinent, but do people go there on the reg? Is the Black Tea Ocean just where tea comes from, or is the water actually black?

I like in-canon alternate names for scientific theories, like "coin theory" instead of Mendelian genetics.

I was hoping for more on-screen adventures with the cancer-whale, he's fun.

The lobotomy scenes were incredibly difficult for me. I have some sort of mental block around the concept of digging around inside peoples brains, probably stemming from watching a surprise brain surgery video in a psychology class in college, where I passed out and then threw up right in class, lol. Anyway, I had to read those scenes a sentence at a time and then distract myself for a minute until the creeping grey vision went away. That is NOT a criticism, and really served, for me at least, to drive home how creepy and evil Falcrest is if they do those on the regular to dissident citizens.

I'm hype for Baru 4, but good things take time, so I hope Seth doesn't rush for the sake of his fans and mental health.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

By the way when is Seths sci fi book Exordia coming out? The initial press release from 2018 said sometime in 2020.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Does anyone have short fiction recs? I'm looking for stuff from the last five years, ideally weird and dark. I'm less interested in hard SF and slice of life stuff, but I'll check out just about anything. Huge plus if it's free to read online.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tiniestacorn posted:

Does anyone have short fiction recs? I'm looking for stuff from the last five years, ideally weird and dark. I'm less interested in hard SF and slice of life stuff, but I'll check out just about anything. Huge plus if it's free to read online.

N.K. Jemison's How Long 'til Black Future Month !

https://smile.amazon.com/How-Long-Black-Future-Month-ebook/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

There are a lot of stories in here that I'd like to see more of; and one of them has become a novel (that I haven't gotten to yet). The stories are all over the place, but well arranged, so you've got body horror, social commentary, litanies of sacrifice, and the street come real all in the same volume. This is easily the best SF anthology I've ever read, from a single author or a collection of various.

One of my favorites is about a restaurant that can make any meal you can imagine or have ever had. Not that they can't perfectly recreate the feast served the night the Magna Carta was signed, which they can, or what the kitchen was serving the night of Dolly Parton's first professional appearance. They can make you the burned mac & cheese you had the night you became a parent.

And that's not even the best idea involving food in this volume. Read these stories !

The best anthology I haven't read all of is Joyce Carol Oates The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0199744394/

It's a mix of American short stories from Rip Van Winkle to modern fiction. Voices of all kinds speak in this volume, and they're all good. She's no slouch with a short story herself, I think she just wanted a textbook for her classes and put her collection together.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 20, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

:amen: I get that he wanted to spread his wings but god drat, the Scar was so good, so many ideas packed into it. Then again "October" was pretty great too...

Yeah, I enjoy a lot of his other works as well, b r god drat, I want more Bas Lag weirdness and goodness.

Anyone have recommendations that hit the spot? Foundryside doesn't seem to do it for me.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, I enjoy a lot of his other works as well, b r god drat, I want more Bas Lag weirdness and goodness.

Anyone have recommendations that hit the spot? Foundryside doesn't seem to do it for me.

The only other contemporary "weird" fantasy I can think of is The Vorrh by Brian Catling, though I personally found it to be literary/poetic to the point of tediousness; sort of like the distilled worst excesses of Jeff Vandermeer. Obviously that's not a recc but a lot of people raved about it so YMMV.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

tiniestacorn posted:

https://lackingtons.com/2020/05/01/the-capacity-to-serve-by-simon-christiansen/

I wrote this last year. It is definitely weird.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Gareth Hanrahan's The Gutter Prayer struck me as Bas-Lag lite: fun and readable enough, but the Dickensian hell-world was a shade less hellish, the inventive magic poo poo a shade less inventive and magic.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Lackington's rules, happy to check this out!

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

You gotta read Sascha Stronach's THE DAWNHOUNDS. He won the Sir Julius Vogel Award this year, and he posts in this thread!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Michael Cisco is your man for this, Animal Money is Bas Lag weirdness to the ultimate degree.

Oh and The Divinity Student and The Golem will scratch that itch.

Jeff Vandermeer made his name with The City of Saints and Madmen which should also work.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 20, 2020

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

So I'm a bit late to this party, but re: end of Harrow the person with Camilla is Gideon the First and Wake's actual kid, while Gideon the Ninth was obviously something else. This comes from the very brief side comment made by Gideon the First while fighting Wake-in-Cytherea, just asking "Why did you bring the ba-" and then later him tilting the whole plan because he thought his kid was there. Also in the description at the end the kid's eyes are mentioned as grey. I assume that means Alecto is up to no good in some other way, while Harrow is chilling in the mental drawer she had built herself for Gideon

I'm not sure about this: the grey eyes are not the narrator's but Camilla's, which I think we're meant to interpret as her having absorbed Sextus (so like a reverse-Lyctor) after having learned from Harrow how to find him. I'm pretty sure the epilogue narrator is the physical body of Gideon herself, with Harrow (or "a" Harrow) inside her cuddling a sword and looking at nudie magazines. I may be mistaken about that latter part and you may be right that Harrow actually ended up inside the pocket she had made inside her own body, but I think given that they established earlier that "true" Lyctorhood is actually an exchange of souls rather than one consuming the other (so both continue to exist, each making the other immortal) that we'll find Gideon "survived" the first book and was taken by Camilla/etc and held with the Blood of Eden, ultimately leading to a dual-Lyctor team-up of Harrow-with-Gideon-inside and Gideon-with-Harrow-inside.

In the earlier fight you mention, Gideon the First could just as easily have been asking Wake "why did you bring the baby [Gideon the Ninth] to Drearburh?" rather than "why did you bring the baby here" or whatever.

e: for clarity on my book 3 prediction

thumper57 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 20, 2020

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I would recommend Peter Higgins' Wolfhound Century trilogy (originally in three volumes as Wolfhound Century, Truth and Fear, and Radiant State, collected in one volume as Wolfhound Empire). It's a fantasy trilogy about the history of the Soviet Union that doesn't hide its sources; it's incredibly easy to pick out historical figures and events that have been reworked and recontextualized. However, once you accept that as the price of admission, it's a fascinating work about revolution, modernity, the destruction and reconstruction of history, and the many upheavals of Russian history. It's also the first fantasy work I've seen where the most powerful force in the universe is the atomic bomb.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I just finished The Stars My Destination in my ongoing project to catch up on "classic" works that are kinda considered fundamental to the genre. I posted about it briefly in the What Did You Just Finish thread, but I wanted to get a little bit more out of it here.

I went into it knowing that the story is widely lauded for being a pioneering work in sci-fi, but I gotta say... about the first half of the book I just kinda soldiered through. It didn't really get "good" to me (by that I mean: a book that I enjoyed reading but didn't feel ~compelled to finish~ in my ample free time on vacation) until about the halfway mark or whenever Gully develops the Fourmyle persona. Up until that point the character was just utterly uninteresting to me, and even less interesting as a protagonist (especially given that, y'know, he's a literal rapist). The dialogue was really grating to me throughout, and the overall back-and-forth conversational style of it just kinda got on my nerves more often than not.

I didn't really come around to really liking the book until the closing couple of chapters when Foyle starts achieving his weird apotheosis or whatever is happening to him. The ending was highly enjoyable though, I'll admit that much, especially when Bester started actually giving a more overt message about things like transparency and accountability.

I just kinda don't get why this thing is such a big deal in the genre. It was good and all, and I guess (according to wiki) a lot of its trappings were pretty crucial to the formation of the cyberpunk genre, but I don't get why it was so groundbreaking.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Basically every page in Stars my Destination has a new idea. It has aged poorly due to the rape scene, but at the time, sf heroes were always Competent Man paragon, so it was revolutionary to have a dark gritty protagonist.

Past that yeah it's cyberpunk a half century in advance. There's a general problem that most cyberpunk has aged badly because now it just seems like normal default reality, not a dystopia. But at the time pretty much every page of that book was a brand new idea.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I finished Baru 1 and, uh holy poo poo that ending. I figured something was up but I didn't expect it to be as rough to read as it was. If anything realising what was coming made the book even tenser cause there was this shadow over the whole thing.

I usually don't like binging series but I kinda have to read Monster ASAP now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Stanfield posted:

I finished Baru 1 and, uh holy poo poo that ending. I figured something was up but I didn't expect it to be as rough to read as it was. If anything realising what was coming made the book even tenser cause there was this shadow over the whole thing.

One minor point about that ending: One might think that the whole brain injury thing is some made-up weird fantasy bullshit, but nope, it's a real-world thing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been reading Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, and I'd like more stuff in that kind of style-- sort of bizarre fantasy, so divorced from reality and fanciful that it tends to sound downright alien and mythical. Alternatively anything set on earth, but so far in the future that it may as well be somewhere else, is a really neat concept to me.

What else out there does something similar?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Viroconium (MJohn Harrison) might be what you want. Cherryh’s Morgaine Cycle might also work. And while the prose isn’t anywhere near as good as either of those (or Vance), Django Wexler’s newest series is sorta in that vein as well.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
*cough* Book of the New Sun *cough*

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Woo-hoo, my black-edged copy of Harrow finally got here and now I have both! Gotta keep an eye on Alecto this time so I'm not scrambling at the last minute.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cage of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky is also in this wheelhouse.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJZT8GJ/

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

The Collapsing Empire (Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F20E7CO/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I was just gonna ask about The Luminous Dead and The Collapsing Empire. I seem to remember the first one being mentioned when we talked about sci-fi horror, and I thought the second one seemed interesting. Any impressions?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

I was just gonna ask about The Luminous Dead and The Collapsing Empire. I seem to remember the first one being mentioned when we talked about sci-fi horror, and I thought the second one seemed interesting. Any impressions?

I really, really loved the Luminous Dead, it's about a sci-fi woman going cave diving with the world's worst(/best) radio handler.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Black Griffon posted:

The Collapsing Empire is somewhat decent "popcorn" lit but the last book's ending is some of the worst trash imaginable.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Sounds like I'll avoid The Collapsing Empire and go for Luminous Dead then.

In other news I finished Bone Silence and Reynolds does not pull punches. It's not the best I've read from him, but the Revenger books are marvelous fun and I enjoyed them a lot. The postscript says he has no plans for additional books in books in the series yet, but the "yet" is still very clearly implied, and I hope to read more from that universe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Luminous dead has the cave diver where her support person can literally control what she sees and hears, right?

I started it but never finished it. Guess I'll change that soon.

Iirc the book cover was pretty awesome too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been reading Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, and I'd like more stuff in that kind of style-- sort of bizarre fantasy, so divorced from reality and fanciful that it tends to sound downright alien and mythical. Alternatively anything set on earth, but so far in the future that it may as well be somewhere else, is a really neat concept to me.

What else out there does something similar?

Michael Moorcock has some works in that vein -- in particular, the "Dancers at the End of Time" series (An Alien Heat et al) and the "Second Ether" series (Blood et al).

Matthew Hughes is the only writer I've seen who can do a passable imitation of Vance's style without sounding forced and artificial. Try Majestrum or The Gist Hunter and Other Stories.

And because it's been a while since I recommended Tanith Lee, she does weird Gothic-mythic fantasy pretty well, particularly in "Tales from the Flat Earth" (Night's Master et al).

You could also go way back and check out Lord Dunsany; his short stories are the best but The King of Elfland's Daughter is worth reading too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I really enjoyed the Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell miniseries. Is the book as good/better?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Captain Monkey posted:

I really enjoyed the Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell miniseries. Is the book as good/better?

Didn't watch the miniseries yet, but I was utterly charmed by the book. Fun, well written, would absolutely recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Captain Monkey posted:

I liked it better, in large part because the format of the book allowed for much more detail, like interesting footnotes and asides. If you enjoyed the show at all, the book is definitely worth reading, particularly at the current Kindle sale price.