Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sweet 1/144 Mustäng B.

I just noticed the goddamn cat hair on the canopy! :argh:

I feel like I'm plateauing a bit lately. Gotta figure out what I want to do that's new and painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Its such a great little kit. Nice job!

The way to true pain lies in 1/144 cockpit details

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I decided that one of my goals was to make a display fleet at 1/350 scale of warships from the Washington Naval Treaty period, which is ships designed and constructed (but not necessarily launched) to the limits of the treat between 1922 and 1930. There are quite a few interesting designs from the period, but not so many that I'll run out of space and money.

To my great disappointment that seems to be a big gap in the kit market, so much of a gap that the only American ship I can find from close to the period is Saratoga in her 1936 refit, not a single surface combatant is available (excluding one resin kit).

Nagato ($$$), Akagi ($$$), Myoko/Nachi/Ashigara/Haguro, Nelson/Rodney (hard to find), Cornwall/Kent of the County class, Saratoga/Lexington (later refits only), Dunkerque/Strasbourg, Surcouf, Zara/Pola, Admiral Graf Spee, that's it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 7, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NTRabbit posted:

I decided that one of my goals was to make a display fleet at 1/350 scale of warships from the Washington Naval Treaty period, which is ships designed and constructed (but not necessarily launched) to the limits of the treat between 1922 and 1930. There are quite a few interesting designs from the period, but not so many that I'll run out of space and money.

You could cheat a tiny bit and build a USS West Virginia out of the Trumpeter USS Colorado kit, as it was specifically allowed to be completed as part of the treaty. Other than that one I honestly don't even know what ships were even built during that period without doing a lot of research.. I really like your idea though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Prefacing this by saying I don't know squat about ship models, and I'm not sure I'll ever build one, but

A) Does the selection expand any if you get into 1/700,

and B) how do you store that many 1/350 scale ships?

My uneducated surmise is that Fujimi's seemingly made every IJN ship that ever floated, but hell if I could name a company that'd cover you for WNT British ships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Locator posted:

You could cheat a tiny bit and build a USS West Virginia out of the Trumpeter USS Colorado kit, as it was specifically allowed to be completed as part of the treaty. Other than that one I honestly don't even know what ships were even built during that period without doing a lot of research.. I really like your idea though.

grassy gnoll posted:

Prefacing this by saying I don't know squat about ship models, and I'm not sure I'll ever build one, but

A) Does the selection expand any if you get into 1/700,

and B) how do you store that many 1/350 scale ships?

My uneducated surmise is that Fujimi's seemingly made every IJN ship that ever floated, but hell if I could name a company that'd cover you for WNT British ships.

Trumpeter has a 1/350 Colorado kit? I couldn't find it on scalemates.

Expanding to 1/700 expands the availability little I guess, but I was hoping to do 1/350 because destroyers in that scale are a bit small - I have a Tribal class that came in an Ark Royal multikit from when I was a kid which is only 16cm long, and the Tribal is a large ship for its class. I already have the 1/350 of County, but I guess that could stay in the ships my family served on collection :sigh:

Trumpeter and Academy seem to be the only companies delving into any RN ships at all right now.

Ships from that era:

RN: Nelson class battleships, Courageous class aircraft carriers, County and Emerald class cruisers, HMS Amazon, HMS Ambuscade, A&B, and C&D class destroyers
USN: Colorado class battleships, Lexington class aircraft carriers, Pensacola, Northampton, Portland, and New Orleans class cruisers
French Navy: Dunkerque class battleships (sort of), Duguay-Trouin, Duquesne, Suffren, and Algerie (just barely) class cruisers, Guepard, Aigle, Vauquelin, Bourrasque, and L'Adroit class destroyers, submarine cruiser Surcouf
RM: Trento, Condottieri, and Zara class cruisers, Sella, Sauro, Turbine, and Navigatori class destroyers
Kriegsmarine: Deutschland, Konigsberg, and Nurnberg class cruisers, Type 23 and Type 24 "torpedo boats" that were really small destroyers
IJN: Nagato class battleships, aircraft carriers Kaga and Akagi, Furutaka, Aoba, and Myoko class cruisers, Mutsuki and Fubuki class destroyers

Haven't listed any submarines aside from Surcouf, because it almost single handedly caused the 1932 London Naval Treaty which ended this period, and nothing smaller than a destroyer.

I like the period because of the big trio 16" battleships that capped the treaty, watching the US go from "what is a cruiser?" to "not bad", the early examples of "lets stick more guns on it" in Japanese cruisers, the growth in size and power of destroyers and the changes in their philosophy in different navies from WW1, and weird and wonderful one offs that defied early description and set off international incidents, and the ways in which nations tried to come up with effective fighting units that (almost) met the treaty.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 8, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NTRabbit posted:

Trumpeter has a 1/350 Colorado kit? I couldn't find it on scalemates.

Google lied to me, I feel betrayed. I searched on 1/350 scale and google showed me multiple links to the Colorado kit, but I was lazy and didn't follow the links... they all lead to a 1/700 scale kit.

Sorry for the false hope.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

crossposting from gunpla thread

everythingWasBees posted:

grunt suit group build, from today until end of october

gms, zakus, mocks, petitguys, grimoire, leo, death army, kapool, etc

if you have a question about whether it counts post here and ill make an arbitrary judgement

it's like most of the common and cheap kits, if youd like to participate but you're unsure about kit just post in there or pm or something

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 9, 2020

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I have been meaning to repaint the hi-mock I built years ago :hmmyes:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Car dudes: what's your process for final polish on the clear coat?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Car dudes: what's your process for final polish on the clear coat?

Until recently I was just using autoglyms super resin polish to cut and buff the cars but I found it was taking an age to get a smooth finish. I’ve instead switched to tamiyas polishes and normally start with the medium compound depending on the flatness of the clear. I only go up to fine and then leave it as I mainly do race cars and it’s a shiny enough finish. I think the other part of it was that when I bought them the store didn’t have the finishing compound.

Word of caution though. Go gentle with the polish as it’s pretty easy to burn through the clear and the base coat exposing primer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

The USPS needs some money, and I have extraneous kits. If you live in the US, and you're cool with sending me your address, one of these kits can be yours at no cost to you.

1x 1/72 S-model T-35
    2x 1/144 Bandai A-wings
    2x 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company M4 Shermans. Buildable as either M4A4s or Fireflies. Be forewarned: weirdly narrow tracks.
    1x egg-scale Fujimi Type 10 tank, includes photoetch fret.
    1x egg-scale Meng Tiger I
    1x egg-scale Tiger Model Ki-84

Hit me up via PM or my gmail account at destysa. Since the object is to generate a couple extra bucks for the post office, if you want to do a kit swap, that's cool too, but I'm not expecting anything other than slightly emptier shelves.

My backlog sheds a single tear, but I just wanna thank you, forums poster grassy gnoll.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Another WIP of a 1/144 A6M2

Thinking about doing this scheme for it, since I have some leftover US roundels from a 1/144 P51:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

do 'em free hand

they're 1/144, so tiny, barely take any paint. how hard could it be?

Cthulu Carl posted:

My backlog sheds a single tear, but I just wanna thank you, forums poster grassy gnoll.

I hope you enjoy it!

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Ordered my first kit (Tamiya early M4). Will I be getting over my head if I get aftermarket tracks or should I try my hand on the vinyls that come with the kit?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I like AFV Club Sherman tracks. Stay away from Bronco ones. Some Tamiya rubber tracks are okay on tanks with skirts (IIRC their Sherman has them) since you can hide the joint underneath. My trick with these used to be to leave the sprocket not glued on and then slip on the sprocket and track in one move.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

boba fetacheese posted:

Ordered my first kit (Tamiya early M4). Will I be getting over my head if I get aftermarket tracks or should I try my hand on the vinyls that come with the kit?

I made one of those! Honestly, the vinyl tracks aren't bad. I cheated a little and glued them down to simulate sag.

Honestly, they're pretty alright for big rubber bands. They'll need some paint and dirt, but they're a cinch to work with. If that looks okay to you, then for your first run I'd stick with the vinyl models.

If you're up for a challenge right off, though, hell yeah get you some track links. You'll either love the satisfaction of repetitive work, or it'll drive you crazy and you'll never want to touch a tank again.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

I want a reason for the Chibi Tank to be real.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

1/144 A6M2 WIP:

Blackbased the underside. Looks a bit too blue in the pic for some reason. Probably gonna add another layer with a more neutral grey.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Looks good!

I've been thinking about picking up a 1/144 kit and then putting it in my 1/24 garage diorama to represent a 1/6 RC plane :v:.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Well we were antiquing today and I saw a sealed Dragon King Tiger (6302) for $62 canuckbucks which I think is a decent deal so I guess my 2nd kit will be slightly more complicated?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Heh, a Dragon kit described as "slightly" more complicated.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ugh porchse turret

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ugh porchse turret

UM ACTUALLY both turrets were designed by Krupp and furthermore

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

grassy gnoll posted:

The USPS needs some money, and I have extraneous kits. If you live in the US, and you're cool with sending me your address, one of these kits can be yours at no cost to you.

1x 1/72 S-model T-35
    2x 1/144 Bandai A-wings
    2x 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company M4 Shermans. Buildable as either M4A4s or Fireflies. Be forewarned: weirdly narrow tracks.
    1x egg-scale Fujimi Type 10 tank, includes photoetch fret.
    1x egg-scale Meng Tiger I
    1x egg-scale Tiger Model Ki-84

Hit me up via PM or my gmail account at destysa. Since the object is to generate a couple extra bucks for the post office, if you want to do a kit swap, that's cool too, but I'm not expecting anything other than slightly emptier shelves.

Thank you to Grassy Gnoll for the T-35 that arrived today, ahead of schedule! Yay USPS.

SU 122 for scale

It's a big bugger, isn't it?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, it's pretty substantial. It's maybe half an inch shorter than my 1/35 Sherman. Hope you like it!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Looks good!

I've been thinking about picking up a 1/144 kit and then putting it in my 1/24 garage diorama to represent a 1/6 RC plane :v:.

Not a bad idea! Sweet kits are perfect for that as long as you don't overcomplicate them.

More progress:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Technically this is my first ever finished model- I had a lot of abortive attempts as a kid but never actually had a final product with all the paint and decals, and then when I got older I sort of migrated to wargames. This little guy has been a headache but was also quite a bit of fun:

I think I want to do a 1/24 Group B car next and get a little collection of famous rally cars- anyone have any good kit recommendations? This was a Hasegawa kit and it was pretty good for what I was looking for- plenty of detail but not overwhelming.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Technically this is my first ever finished model- I had a lot of abortive attempts as a kid but never actually had a final product with all the paint and decals, and then when I got older I sort of migrated to wargames. This little guy has been a headache but was also quite a bit of fun:

I think I want to do a 1/24 Group B car next and get a little collection of famous rally cars- anyone have any good kit recommendations? This was a Hasegawa kit and it was pretty good for what I was looking for- plenty of detail but not overwhelming.

Looks good man. Belkits do a number of different group b cars that seem to go together ok but I haven’t seen or built one of their cars. Beemax/nunu platz are another releasing new mold group b cars and the only reason the slash is in there is because aioshima seem to be retiring beemax in favor of nunu.
There’s the other hasegawa cars that they’ve put out or the older tamiya kits as well. With the tamiya ones you’ll probably have to source new decals cause the kits are pretty old but they go together fine if their ancient group c kits are anything to go by.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
X-Wing WIP.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vorenus posted:

X-Wing WIP.

Red Five? More like Red Nine-and-a-half, ammirite? :quagmire:

E: Alternative: "LONG LONG WIIIIIINNNGGG"

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 20, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Look at this dork that can't recognize the difference between a T-65 and a T-70.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Red Five? More like Red Nine-and-a-half, ammirite? :quagmire:

E: Alternative: "LONG LONG WIIIIIINNNGGG"

I don't get it. Also, here's a Tigger. I'm somewhat tempted to buy another and paint it orange and black.

The headlight is gone because I added the tracks last with the hull upside-down. There was a loud snap followed by a vanishing act worthy of Houdini.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vorenus posted:

I don't get it. Also, here's a Tigger. I'm somewhat tempted to buy another and paint it orange and black.

The headlight is gone because I added the tracks last with the hull upside-down. There was a loud snap followed by a vanishing act worthy of Houdini.

Did literally no one but me see I Spy?

:sigh:

E: Yikes, I guess not?

Wiki posted:

Budget $70 million[1]
Box office $60.3 million[1]

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vorenus posted:

Please do, and post your Tigger Tiger here.

Also, I'm moving currently, and fully expect to be missing every headlight, side mirror, and other fiddly bit off every model I've built by the time all is said and done.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Slugworth posted:

Please do, and post your Tigger Tiger here.

Also, I'm moving currently, and fully expect to be missing every headlight, side mirror, and other fiddly bit off every model I've built by the time all is said and done.

I transported some of my smaller kits (Mainly 1/144 stuff) in plastic bags for this reason when I moved last year: Put a bag in a box, carefully put the kits in, top it off with a sheet of cardboard for another level and repeat until the box is full. Anything that comes off during transport remains in the bags. Bigger stuff was in boxes lined with bubblewrap. No parts were lost, except the decalsheet for the 1:32 Revell Heinkel Salamander I was working on at the time. It might be in a box somewhere, although it's entirely possible it got thrown out by accident. Revell apparently no longer has any replacements in stock, and shipping on third party sheets costs as much as the sheet itself.

Someday it will resurface.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My moving strategy is to pack the hulls separately since tanks don't usually have any protruding bits to the sides, but turrets are harder to pack tightly and bits almost always come off. I agree that the best strategy is just to make sure the bits don't go very far since the damage is usually reparable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Smoke posted:

I transported some of my smaller kits (Mainly 1/144 stuff) in plastic bags for this reason when I moved last year: Put a bag in a box, carefully put the kits in, top it off with a sheet of cardboard for another level and repeat until the box is full. Anything that comes off during transport remains in the bags. Bigger stuff was in boxes lined with bubblewrap. No parts were lost, except the decalsheet for the 1:32 Revell Heinkel Salamander I was working on at the time. It might be in a box somewhere, although it's entirely possible it got thrown out by accident. Revell apparently no longer has any replacements in stock, and shipping on third party sheets costs as much as the sheet itself.

Someday it will resurface.
I considered bags, but felt like the bags might put stress on fiddly bits. What I ultimately did was packing peanuts. We will see when I unpack in a month.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Encase them in ice then thaw them out, it works for transporting apples to the North Pole?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
newest Plasmo vid is up and its an excellent watch. I don't even really like the idea of modelling planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hXQ-BjhPU