Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

eke out posted:

yep that looks exactly like liandrin should lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Before the Andoran succession, Elayne was pretty good. The same is true for Faile and the Shaido.

I will say Gawyn and Galad are begging to be made into a single character.

Another controversial take: I think the distinct “races” in Randland were a part of Jordan’s vision. One of my favorite bits of world building in the series is at the start of the fifth book (I think), where Faile is thinking about how the Two Rivers has changed. People have come on over the mountains, refugees from all over the world, and they’ve livened the place up by introducing new customs and customers. The disruption Rand caused has led to an incredibly beneficial blending and the Two Rivers has improved because of it. The initial homogeneity and cultural isolation Jordan presents within the nations is part of the decadence that the Dragon is supposed to end.

Of course, we’re not losing much by dropping that and it’s way better having a diverse cast from the beginning.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can imagine they might make exceptions for actors in a production like this if there's guarantees that they're vetted the way they should be and won't be just walking out in the middle of a city or whatever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can imagine they might make exceptions for actors in a production like this if there's guarantees that they're vetted the way they should be and won't be just walking out in the middle of a city or whatever.

Here at least they all need to do quarantine same as anyone else and return two negative tests before they're allowed out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Prairie Bus posted:

Of course, we’re not losing much by dropping that and it’s way better having a diverse cast from the beginning.

yeah and absolutely nothing will be lost, so long as they make it consistent in the few places it needs to be. like, Rand needs to look like whatever the Aiel look like, because anyone who knows what Aiel look like immediately see it in him and it's a core part of who he is and his plotline.

but there really aren't many other things like that where it matters at all, and way more can be done through accent and costuming and still be completely true to the books

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like style of dress is mentioned way more than anything to do with color of skin in 99% of scenarios and the only times darker skin tends to be noted with any amount of consistency are usually in regards to the sea folk and anyone from arad doman iirc

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I completely forgot Roose Bolton is Tam al'Thor.

And does anyone have the pics of the Fain actor looking insane? There were a few but I'm not finding them.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like style of dress is mentioned way more than anything to do with color of skin in 99% of scenarios and the only times darker skin tends to be noted with any amount of consistency are usually in regards to the sea folk and anyone from arad doman iirc

It comes up pretty frequently, but eke out is right - it should only matter for Rand and the Aiel.

Also lol at Bolton being Tam, I had no idea. Hard to see him being the guy to raise the Dragon right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh.

Shaisam backwards is a whole lot like Messiah.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Prairie Bus posted:

Seems like the nations will have a distinct identity with regards to a certain "look" but getting more diverse with it so that it's not just "fantasy Europe" definitely is a good call.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I mean, Shienarans always had a very healthy dose of fantasy samurai in them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

While her appearance is pretty good, im gonna need to see a hard stare and a dressing down before I can get on board the Sophie train.
Can anyone help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viedYUe85E0

starts around the 1 minute mark

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mmmm, not bad. Jesus I hate that 'handheld' camera style though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's how cameras were back then

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Liandrin's casting is spot on.

And Siuan pretty closely fits my mind's eye image i've had for folk from Tear, so I'm pretty happy with that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Arrath posted:

Liandrin's casting is spot on.

And Siuan pretty closely fits my mind's eye image i've had for folk from Tear, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Not gonna be convinced until I hear her snarl "fish guts" :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DarkHorse posted:

Not gonna be convinced until I hear her snarl "fish guts" :colbert:

That's a dockmaster's sky.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tormund from GoT should be cast as an Aiel clan chief though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Democratic Pirate posted:

He's a bro, and we all know the best bro is Gaul

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

He'd be a cool Rhuarc or Bael or Gaul for sure, but they're clean shaven right? Have you seen what he looks like without a beard? Dude is basically a loving Disney prince, he'd be better suited to playing Galad.

Or Gareth or Logain or Furyk Karede, since he's probably a little old to be Galad.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I am all onboard for the race-blind casting of most of Randland, but i hope they keep the book conceit of all the Aiel being pale-eyed freckled red-haired Irishmen.

It's one of the best buried jokes in the series.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 20, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As a visual medium they can really drive home how lovely life in the Waste is for people who sunburn instantly

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

He'd be a cool Rhuarc or Bael or Gaul for sure, but they're clean shaven right? Have you seen what he looks like without a beard? Dude is basically a loving Disney prince, he'd be better suited to playing Galad.

Or Gareth or Logain or Furyk Karede, since he's probably a little old to be Galad.

Hot drat that is the face of a Disney prince

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hot drat that is the face of a Disney prince

posting for the benefit of others:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I say they keep the idea of the ethnically separated setting and just change the back story for the characters. It's not like Min's parents ever show up in the series. She's also living with her aunts, just have her family be from up north.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

UltraRed posted:

I say they keep the idea of the ethnically separated setting and just change the back story for the characters. It's not like Min's parents ever show up in the series. She's also living with her aunts, just have her family be from up north.

Why though

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
my immersion

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Data Graham posted:

As a visual medium they can really drive home how lovely life in the Waste is for people who sunburn instantly

It's great how there are all these buried clues to the secret of the Aiel before you ever even know there's a secret.

I mean, why are there all these fair-haired fair-eyed genetically fair-skinned Celtic-types out in the desert?

Because they're actually the Travelling Folk, of course.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Being able to tell where someone is from based on how they look is an undercurrent for the entire setting. It puts an otherness to all of the other cultures, and in addition to making the Seanchan more distinct because they are a unified multi-ethnic empire.

If anything, Min's background needs more filling out because what does she really have going on besides aura seeing, throwing knives, and not wearing skirts.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

UltraRed posted:

If anything, Min's background needs more filling out because what does she really have going on besides aura seeing, throwing knives, and not wearing skirts.

based on my re-read, 90% of all early passages about min are saying that (1) she's a tomboy, but (2) she's like, still hot though

it's embarrassing how much that comes up

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

eke out posted:

based on my re-read, 90% of all early passages about min are saying that (1) she's a tomboy, but (2) she's like, still hot though

it's embarrassing how much that comes up

To be fair, Jordan wants you to know how hot everyone is in the first couple books. Everyone’s horny for Rand in TGH, Perrin’s built like a brick shithouse, etc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i have a difficult time with really even blinking at that sort of thing anymore in the series because all the main people are either ruggedly handsome or strikingly beautiful in some form or another and the books will never let you forget that

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Min: *wears leggings*

Every male character: Hmm, it's not proper or feminine but...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm currently on gathering storm and there's a comment about the trousers where rand or whoever is like 'i don't get it, why wear pants if you're going to have a bunch of embroidery or lace on them'

smh these people just don't understand fashion. designer jeans were lost in a previous age, and only now are they coming back. get with the times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Being able to tell where someone is from based on how they look is an undercurrent for the entire setting. It puts an otherness to all of the other cultures, and in addition to making the Seanchan more distinct because they are a unified multi-ethnic empire.

Sure, and you can do that (and they do do that) with clothing! And accents!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

UltraRed posted:

The concept of a nation being (mostly) outwardly phenotypically homogeneous and that "look" being a significant part of it's identity is a fairly recent invention. It's also not a concept that really holds up; many nations have a lot of variation in appearance among the native population that gets collapsed into a specific "look" for various societal reasons. Granted RJ really plays it up in the series but he also equally emphasizes the importance of specific cultural markers as a way to make each nation and it's people distinctive. I don't think they need to adhere things hard and fast - and based on the casting they're obviously not - because allowing flexibility will make for cool opportunities within and open up the breadth of casting as well.

There are certain ones that probably require things to be ported over as close as they can get it and the budget will allow - Seanchan, the Sea Folk, the Aiel/Traveling Folk, Andor, maybe Cairhien. The rest they can split the difference and find the right balance of making it recognizable while also making it work for this adaptation and what they feel will create the best story for the audience.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Min: *wears leggings*

Every male character: Hmm, it's not proper or feminine but...

Min's superpower is the ability to have sex without immediately either getting pregnant, married, or making everything all weird.

Like the ability to flourish knives, it's a knack she shares with Thom, and Thom alone.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

UltraRed posted:

I would never have remembered it but for being just past Lord of Chaos: She's also the... like, Scholarly One. She starts reading philosophy and takes over Herid Fel's stuff and IIRC ends up pointing something out about how the end will go. I'm not sure you could introduce that into the early books and still have it work, though.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

UltraRed posted:

that's one of the most outdated, and slightly racist, parts of the whole series. most cosmopolitan medieval cities (like Caemelyn and Tear are portrayed) were pretty ethnically mixed unless some major geographical barrier would have prevented people from migrating there. Randland is way too small and flat for this to be the case. the "she was from Arad Domani therefore she was tan" way of thinking wasn't great.

the way fantasy from that era tends to fit people in narrow racial molds is a pretty unfortunate byproduct of Lord of the Rings.

edit: other people mentioned using clothing to distinguish, and I think that is a much more accurate way to culturally signify

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the accents are one of the biggest points made about characters and tend to be one of the most important identifying factors