Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, honestly way more is made about how people dress and accents than skin color in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah, honestly way more is made about how people dress and accents than skin color in the books.

And “how people dress” is really just how much cleavage/leg is shown

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Don’t forget about that one nation that wears thin veils over their faces for some reason.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

But think about all of the regional variation in cleavage

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sure there was a useful chart or two in Jordan's things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Come on, the TV show is going to save way more page-space/time by being able to just show a costume instead of describing its hems and embroidery and colored slashes and woven patterns and accessory shawls and so on for pages and pages and pages than it would by say, dropping Elayne.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

wondering how the tv is going to convey to me that someone has a well-turned calf

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The Glumslinger posted:

That reminds me that someone wrote a parody of that scene were Elayne and Aviendha take off their clothes to sit with some Aiel wise women. Sadly, I can't find it. It went something like this:

quote:

Aiel Woman: Come, take off your clothes. It is the Aiel way.

Elayne: That sounds a lot like the Aes Sedai way.

Aviendha: And the Ebou Dar way.

Elayne: And the Seanchan way.

Aiel Woman: Naked women are powerful. Come, show us your power.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 20, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

wondering how the tv is going to convey to me that someone has a well-turned calf

A strange amount of shots will be of a person walking down the stairs in tight breeches, then a cut to a woman raising an eyebrow in approval.

The shots of Perrin working the forge while Faile tries to implement a lordship in Edmond’s Field will be incredibly horny.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The shots of Perrin working the forge while Faile tries to implement a lordship in Edmond’s Field will be incredibly horny.

I'm so in

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a shirtless perrin would probably be a healthier fixation than khal drogo from game of thrones, all told

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm currently on gathering storm and there's a comment about the trousers where rand or whoever is like 'i don't get it, why wear pants if you're going to have a bunch of embroidery or lace on them'

smh these people just don't understand fashion. designer jeans were lost in a previous age, and only now are they coming back. get with the times.

The Wheel of Fashion turns, and Trends come and pass, leaving fads that become retro. Retro fades to vintage, and even vintage is long forgotten when the Trend that gave it birth comes again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

For any women itt

When you cross your arms, do you specifically cross them beneath your breasts? Or do you just... cross them.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For any women itt

When you cross your arms, do you specifically cross them beneath your breasts? Or do you just... cross them.

Where else are you going to cross them?I had a friend say it's like saying a dude crossed his arms above his dick. Ever since they said that my brain auto substitutes one for the other and it's hilarious.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lol that actually rules

It's about as relevant too. Idk even as a super horny teenager I still thought it was a really weird... tic? Observation?

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 20, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lets be honest Robert Jordan was a horndog, but in a very old timey awooga-ing at women displaying their ankles way

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Johnny Joestar posted:

a shirtless perrin would probably be a healthier fixation than khal drogo from game of thrones, all told

After watching the first episode of Hard Knocks this season I was left with the opinion that Aaron Donald should take up acting and be cast as Perrin. Holy gently caress, that dude.

Did they already announce who's playing Perrin?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Soysaucebeast posted:

Where else are you going to cross them?I had a friend say it's like saying a dude crossed his arms above his dick. Ever since they said that my brain auto substitutes one for the other and it's hilarious.

Holy hells

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AMPLE BOSOM

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Even Dolly Parton looks like her natural arms crossing height clears her ample bosom. It's the thing guys think about when girls have to actually lift their crossed arms up to present cleavage.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the subject of tics, I would love to know why in book 5 he suddenly became obsessed with everybody drinking punch.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

On the subject of tics, I would love to know why in book 5 he suddenly became obsessed with everybody drinking punch.

That was the official beginning of the Too Long Summer arc in the books, right? Probably didn't want everyone to just be drunk all the time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In this context "punch" is usually alcoholic, with a wine base.

Punch was historically more "refined" and thus more suitable for the Proper Sort than beer while being cheaper than straight wine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like those are two different half-answers to two different questions or something

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Everyone started drinking punch at that point in the series because it was hot, and because the main characters were hobnobbing with the sort of Very Important People that historically preferred punch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mkay, that works.

I mean I feel like it's pretty oblique and comes off more like a weird writing flourish than a narrative device that says "because it was so hot they had brought out the punch" and maybe had other cold things to drink in some places rather than punch in every single city they went to, or introduced it slowly and then had it become ubiquitous or something. I don't know maybe I'm the weird one

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 21, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Even Dolly Parton looks like her natural arms crossing height clears her ample bosom. It's the thing guys think about when girls have to actually lift their crossed arms up to present cleavage.

Just wait until the show gets to the Shaido side plot and the Great Cleavage Wars of Sevanna and Someryn. Casting and costuming are gonna have a field day with that poo poo - gonna have to test a lot of male extras to see who can :eyepop: the best.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You ever get the impression RJ liked a boob?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

can't blame him

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

Everyone started drinking punch at that point in the series because it was hot, and because the main characters were hobnobbing with the sort of Very Important People that historically preferred punch.

This works but I'd always just assumed Jordan read a book that said "punch was popular in the Regency" or something and just went whole hog. Hell maybe he just had a really good punch one day. Probably read a colonial era cookbook they're full of punch recipes.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, but I think he was an equal opportunity kink endorser. Remember, the Aiel are like, eyebrow and collarbone fetishists or w/e.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And then there are the ogier.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

And then there are the ogier.

Hmm yeah, I wonder if the Aiel got the eyebrow thing from them back in the good ol' AoL.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing you can't accuse Jordan of: kinkshaming.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly he seemed like a leg man. At least Rand seems like a leg man, based on how he reacted to Selene and Aviendha.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

True. Mat on the other hand, with his immortal line "excellent pale bosom" about Berelain

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This works but I'd always just assumed Jordan read a book that said "punch was popular in the Regency" or something and just went whole hog. Hell maybe he just had a really good punch one day. Probably read a colonial era cookbook they're full of punch recipes.

I think you guys are all just missing the punchline.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Was it this thread that introduced me to the Wheel of Time soundtrack?

https://open.spotify.com/album/3dnpOsOb0yLqB1QgjPvIhy?si=OQp2gvmsSY6jIhag_sgC0Q

It’s been a while since I learned about it and I still haven’t been able to finish a full song.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

His wife was his editor so she encouraged the kink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This show can be filmed with telenovela-level posing and longing, lust filled gazes and stay pretty true to the spirit of the books.