Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Irony Be My Shield posted:

According to wikipedia it's worth $11.9bn, dwarfing all other income the franchise makes.

e: this is a total rather than yearly list though so I don't know how much that represents continuing revenue

poo poo with pachinko in the mix, I’d be surprised if Sea Story isn’t even higher than Eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have the list of Japanese franchises by licensing revenue somewhere but the top list IIRC is something like

Anpanman
Pokemon
Hello Kitty
Fist of the North Star(i think this was the "holy poo poo pachinko" curveball but may have been another)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Thats cool and all, but what about this Evangelion hose?

I'm highly disappointed it doesn't have an umbilical plug as the nozzle. Also it's 01 not just 1. :colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

When I was in Hong Kong a few years ago I went down to the local supermarket to get some shaving cream and right there in the middle of all the shaving sets was a single Kaworu razor that came with an inch-high bobblehead figure of him and I kinda regret not picking it up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Barudak posted:

I have the list of Japanese franchises by licensing revenue somewhere but the top list IIRC is something like

Anpanman
Pokemon
Hello Kitty
Fist of the North Star(i think this was the "holy poo poo pachinko" curveball but may have been another)

if you're gonna play the anime pachinko at the parlor why wouldn't you want the fist of the north star one to cancel out the shame of your gambling addiction

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Pretty good posted:

When I was in Hong Kong a few years ago I went down to the local supermarket to get some shaving cream and right there in the middle of all the shaving sets was a single Kaworu razor that came with an inch-high bobblehead figure of him and I kinda regret not picking it up.

Schick recently had a new Evangelion line of razors and shaving kits. The NERV version was amazing, but until they add one of those trimming blades to the back of their razors gently caress Schick.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0htyzcUZ3e8

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don’t know which was worse; the Second Impact or the Shave Impact. A smiling, clean-shaven Gendo is nightmare fuel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone did a thing on whether you could live life off of Eva-branded merch and... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Qr9rztRw4

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

It seems like the amount of hardcore Eva otakus that actually own a home with which to use a hose is probably an exceptionally small market. poo poo I can’t even buy a hose like that at the department store next to my condo.

But if you follow the evangelion_store_tokyo01 Instagram account you see that they’ll brand just about anything under the sun. Probably half the sales of that thing are to collectors living in a high-rise.
maybe back in 1997, but I bet there are a ton of japanese grill dads out there dying for a unit-01 hose reel. all those shinjis grew up to be gendos.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TenementFunster posted:

maybe back in 1997, but I bet there are a ton of japanese grill dads out there dying for a unit-01 hose reel. all those shinjis grew up to be gendos.

:shepicide:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was super dissapointed the Evangelion Coco Ichibanya crossover didn't have food to go with it, it was just you could win an evangelion themed coco delivery scooter

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
You also got a free lovely toy scooter if you got a curry! I have the Nerv and Eva 01 themed ones under my TV lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

Get in the family sedan, Shinji

BB2K posted:

You also got a free lovely toy scooter if you got a curry! I have the Nerv and Eva 01 themed ones under my TV lol

Finally, all the toys I need to build a diorama celebrating the delivery drivers who get blown up during angel attacks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Someone did a thing on whether you could live life off of Eva-branded merch and... well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Qr9rztRw4

This channel is great and that lady is fantastic, but the longer I watched that video and the more Eva merch she revealed, the more it sapped my will to live.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

And yes, a movie about Shinji, the other Children, and the NERV staff facing the political and legal fallout from the rest of the world for their various war crimes and kicking off Near-Third Impact would have probably been an intriguing watch. 2.22 made the world of Evangelion seem a lot bigger than just Japan. I'd have loved to see them follow through on it in some capacity.

They are following through on it, they showed us that clip of the new film where they're fighting in Paris.

Didn't EoE receive a lot of fan backlash when it released because it just went completely off the rails? I like that 3.33 has done the same thing and people are disappointed/frustrated by it but personally I really like that Anno put out something completely unexpected and 4.0 is guaranteed to be a wild and unpredictable ride.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

4.44 abandons whatever subtlety there still was and just has half an hour of on-screen sex, and the rest is post-coitus angsting that slowly becomes self actualization.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Regalingualius posted:

4.44 abandons whatever subtlety there still was and just has half an hour of on-screen sex, and the rest is post-coitus angsting that slowly becomes self actualization.

end of evangelion already exists :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eva is a story that repeats itself

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

The tearful makeup makeout between Gendo and EVA-01 will be the most lavishly-animated sequence of the entire film.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

4.44 is just the episode of Mazinkaiser "Kouji Kabuto Dies in Lava!" but redubbed and edited so he does in fact die in lava. It then cuts to Anno, in his office, staring directly into the camera.

"Finally," he says, "this error is resolved"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Regalingualius posted:

Fate/Stay Evangelion looking promising

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

People die when they’re tanged.

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

Speaking of weird Evangelion merch, I got the Eva Tamagotchi (Rei version). You raise an angel, and if you do a good job, it causes Third Impact!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Aergo posted:

Speaking of weird Evangelion merch, I got the Eva Tamagotchi (Rei version). You raise an angel, and if you do a good job, it causes Third Impact!

hurry up, 2020 ends in a scant few months and we need a show stopper ending

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TenementFunster posted:

Mamas, don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
Don't let 'em make robots or build the geofront
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

Mamas don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
'Cause they'll make teenage clones and they're always alone
Even with someone they have no feelings for but can use to ultimately bring their master plan to bring humanity together in instrumentality so they can be with their dead wife again to fruition

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DC Murderverse posted:

Mamas, don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
Don't let 'em make robots or build the geofront
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

Mamas don't let your shinjis grow up to be gendos
'Cause they'll make teenage clones and they're always alone
Even with someone they have no feelings for but can use to ultimately bring their master plan to bring humanity together in instrumentality so they can be with their dead wife again to fruition
the greatest hits of rawhide kobayashi

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

According to wikipedia it's worth $11.9bn, dwarfing all other income the franchise makes.

e: this is a total rather than yearly list though so I don't know how much that represents continuing revenue

I'm not surprised. The only huge ad I've seen for Evangelion in Akihabara was a pachinko ad that takes up several stories of a building. And considering how much money nostalgia makes in Japan too, Eva + pachinko is a recipe for printing money.

Raxivace posted:

People die when they’re tanged.

And you can put them in the official Evangelion bucket!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
This is hands-down my favorite piece of Eva merch they ever put out. I don’t know how much they’re going for on the secondary market, but it’s probably worth it to have your own little war over Tokyo-III while humming Decisive Battle.

I did manage to snag the Choro-Q / Evangelion / Transformers set however. I can sit here and make that ~transform~ sound while I turn Eva 01 into a dump truck.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 26, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s a pretty rad bucket though.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s a pretty rad bucket though.

It's steel, right? I have never seen a nicer bucket.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
That bucket is the good kind of merchandising. It's something they would conceivably use in the show, instead of a bucket with the logo of the show on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

This is hands-down my favorite piece of Eva merch they ever put out. I don’t know how much they’re going for on the secondary market, but it’s probably worth it to have your own little war over Tokyo-III while humming Decisive Battle.

The Geocraper blind boxes are still in production and go for about $80 for a case of 10, which gets you one of each of the nine blocks and a random duplicate to fill out the tenth. There is also an accessory set that includes an AT field effect part and some roads.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Midjack posted:

The Geocraper blind boxes are still in production and go for about $80 for a case of 10, which gets you one of each of the nine blocks and a random duplicate to fill out the tenth. There is also an accessory set that includes an AT field effect part and some roads.

Thanks! IIRC they were revealed quite a while ago and I figured they were already out of print.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Aergo posted:

I just ordered one, I'm excited! The fact that it'll grow a random Angel is rad.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s neat too bad they’ll never bring it out in English.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s neat too bad they’ll never bring it out in English.

Bring what out in English? the bucket?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

the escape goat posted:

Bring what out in English? the bucket?

I demand a proper localization of the bucket or there will be hell to pay, Gainax!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I demand a proper localization of the bucket or there will be hell to pay, Gainax!

The Japanese bucket is better, the colors got messed up on the NA release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What a lot of people don’t realize is that for a bucket it’s actually quite deep.