Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

anilEhilated posted:

Let me guess - tits?

Or boobies. There are options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

"Centerfold" at least has a punchline

It'll also be remembered twenty years from now. I don't think King Killer will be around for much longer unless the last book comes out. Even my friends that are super into it have basically stopped talking about it or hoping for it.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

pentyne posted:

The thing that gets me about the post is he is so extremely specific about the "hypothetical" woman in question that it must be an actual person he knew that he had all his little fantasies of wooing her and making her see how he was The One for her and later in life she got married/was no longer pure and sent him into a rage spiral that she ruined herself and her angelic potential by not just becoming his tradwife.

Or he just listened to the song "Centrefold" and thought. "Wow. This is just like the thing with the Hobbit. I better get to a computer, this is going to be an excellent blog post. Once I've drizzled a little of that golden Rothfuss prose over the metaphor."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Undead Hippo posted:

Once I've drizzled a little of that golden Rothfuss

No. Please don't

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It was a drizzle in three parts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It was a drizzle in three parts.

Anything more than three parts is just playing with yourself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Almost a solid month since the editor spilled the tea and as far as I can tell not a peep from Rothfuss on Twitter or his blog. Maybe his cheerio room isn't in a fit state to film so he's waiting for it to be ready.

Oh and yesterday was the listed release date on Amazon for Doors of Stone, and the listing has since been removed from the site.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, guys I'm beginning to think this Rothfuss guy isn't writing the book.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Some podcasts I listen to team up every year for a charity drive called Vulgarity For Charity where they roast people for donations to a charity called Modest Needs. Somebody this year selected Rothfuss so I cut it out and uploaded it for y'all.

Pretty basic "where's the book" stuff but not the worst take on it.

https://youtu.be/X470rpddArA

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Didn't Robert Jordan hire Brandon Sanderson to finish his final book? Maybe Rothfuss can be convinced of the same.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Didn't Robert Jordan hire Brandon Sanderson to finish his final book? Maybe Rothfuss can be convinced of the same.

He's gonna have to find the money first. Unless he cries and says he can't write anymore due to ~reasons~ and starts a gofundme to pay someone to ghostwrite it from his "notes"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

do you... actually want more of this?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hughmoris posted:

Jordan's widow, actually.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hughmoris posted:

Hire in the sense that he died and his widow/editor chose him.

To be honest I despise Sanderson, but it would be pretty hilarious to watch him butcher Rothfuss' life work.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Sanderson isn’t even able to write most of his own books anymore. He’s using partner authors to write most of the non-cosmere books while he focuses on Stormlight.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Patware posted:

do you... actually want more of this?

What? I had a great time reading a summary of and brief passages from Wise Man's Fear. Why wouldn't I want to find out how the story actually starts going somewhere before disappointing more than you thought possible and wraps up?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

Sanderson isn’t even able to write most of his own books anymore. He’s using partner authors to write most of the non-cosmere books while he focuses on Stormlight.

That's not even remotely true. I get that Sanderson isn't popular around here, but don't just make poo poo up to fit your narrative.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Daric posted:

Ornamented Death posted:

That's not even remotely true. I get that Sanderson isn't popular around here, but don't just make poo poo up to fit your narrative.

Yes. Also, that sentence is just dumb on a basic level. Even if Sanderson had contracted out his non-Cosmere books, he's still releasing one main Stormlight book every 3-4 years (each clocking in over 1000 pages!), and that alone would be more than many other authors are doing. But he's also releasing Stormlight novellas and Mistborn books in between, which makes it more like at least one book every two years. And the Cosmere books obviously constitute what any fan thinks of as "most of his books", and they of course make the most money. This is just stupid Sanderson bashing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think Sanderson is just one of those guys like Asimov who are just writing machines. There's a (possibly apocryphal) famous story about Isaac that when asked "What would he do if told he had 30 minutes left to live" replied "Type faster".

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
“PART NINE: BONUS SECTION, THE FUTURE OF THE COSMERE
One thing you might have noticed in the secondary projects section is that I have a number of collaborations in the works. This is partially because I wanted the chance to work with some of my friends on books, which is a fun and different way to write. But it’s also because I’ve begun to realize that I need to keep more of my focus on the Cosmere.”

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/

Yeah let me tell you how I’m lying about things to fit my narrative...

The argument here is that Sanderson wouldn’t sign on to write Rothfuss’s book because he doesn’t have time. I can assure you I’m not Sanderson bashing, he’s my favorite author. But if you think he’s going to drop everything he’s doing to write Pat’s dumb book you’re an idiot.

And no one cares what you consider “most of” to mean, because the non-cosmere books outnumber the cosmere stuff up to this point. Going forward that will change but he won’t be focusing on Rithmatist, Alcatraz, Skyward, Reckoners, or Legion.

Daric fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 23, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

“PART NINE: BONUS SECTION, THE FUTURE OF THE COSMERE
One thing you might have noticed in the secondary projects section is that I have a number of collaborations in the works. This is partially because I wanted the chance to work with some of my friends on books, which is a fun and different way to write. But it’s also because I’ve begun to realize that I need to keep more of my focus on the Cosmere.”

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/

Yeah let me tell you how I’m lying about things to fit my narrative...

Probably because working on collaborations is a very different thing than turning over your IP to co-authors.

Edit: To clarify, I read your initial post on this topic as Sanderson farming out his other series, which is not what he's doing, he's just not going to be focusing on them going forward. At the same time, he's doing a number of collaborations with other authors. These are two separate things happening in his career.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 23, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Then I apologize, in my drunken stupor I made the wrong word choice. Either way, it looks like outside of Cosmere stuff, Sanderson will only be doing collaborations with other authors. He's certainly not going to write a Doors of Stone or the rest of the Game of Thrones novels or anything else people keep throwing his name out there for. In that blog post he says if he continues writing Cosmere novels at the current speed he has been, he'll be 74 by the time they're finished. That's obviously not ideal, so my original point about him not even having time to write his own non-cosmere books still stands.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't wait for the lawsuit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Daric posted:

Then I apologize, in my drunken stupor I made the wrong word choice. Either way, it looks like outside of Cosmere stuff, Sanderson will only be doing collaborations with other authors. He's certainly not going to write a Doors of Stone or the rest of the Game of Thrones novels or anything else people keep throwing his name out there for. In that blog post he says if he continues writing Cosmere novels at the current speed he has been, he'll be 74 by the time they're finished. That's obviously not ideal, so my original point about him not even having time to write his own non-cosmere books still stands.

I see, this makes more sense. I definitely misunderstood you then. We'll see whether he can pull off writing all his Cosmere books, rich people can live a pretty long life nowadays.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I've been dipping in and out of the Kvothe subreddit and its been nice to see people are finally waking up. The mods have straight up admitted to trying to get rid of "negative" posts but they can't stop the chatter and boy the fans are disappointed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HIJK posted:

I've been dipping in and out of the Kvothe subreddit and its been nice to see people are finally waking up. The mods have straight up admitted to trying to get rid of "negative" posts but they can't stop the chatter and boy the fans are disappointed.

I think people were clinging to the GRRM comparison, and GRRM for all his delays is publicly talking about writing and trying. When Pat's editor said "nothing in 7 years" it broke the spell hanging over them that he was this genius writing handcrafting every word and working his heart out and revealed the reality being he's just not putting in any effort and is instead choosing to be living his best life as a famous nerd without a care in the world.

The next step is either serious proof of book 3, or DAW just cuts ties with him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
there's a recent "what's going on with his charity" post in reddit

quote:

In one of the recent locked posts, a commenter made the claim that Worldbuilders Inc. was a highly ineffective charity. I am not particularly knowledgable about judging charities, but I do know that all non-profits in the US have to file a publicly available document called a Form 990 every year. As an example, one local environmental charity I volunteer for posts PDFs of their 990s directly on their website every year.

I could not find that Worldbuilders posts their 990s, so you have to find them somewhere else. That seemed to me a bad first sign.

You can google various ways to find 990s. Guidestar is the site I am familiar with. You can do this too for free.

The most recent filing I could find was filed in 2018 for the 2017 tax year.

In that year, Worldbuilder Inc had revenue (income from contributions, grants, investment income, and other revenue [selling stuff]) of $703,122.

Worldbuilders has 3 board members who are compensated (29k for the secretary, 25k for a treasurer, 35k for a officer). No pay listed to Rothfuss. Total compensation for those people and "key" employees is $115k. Other salaries and wages are $135k. Payroll taxes and benefits are $32k. Adding up payroll, compensation to board members, and other business expenses ( e.g., $10k for advertising, $19k for office expenses, $33k for IT, $93k for occupancy [rent? I'm not sure], $25k for travel expenses, etC) you get total functional expenses of $550,524.

FULL DISCLOSURE, I would encourage others to look directly at the 990 form. If my understanding is correct and the numbers are $703k in, $550k expenses for running the organization itself, that doesn't seem very good to me at all.

If anybody is more knowledgable about such things, I would be very curious to get an expert opinion.

UPDATE 1+2: Some posters are making the point that Worldbuilders raises money for Heifer. Can anyone help me quantify that? The 990 lists only a cash grant from Worldbuilders to Heifer of $5,580.

UPDATE 2: Another commenter mentioned "Elodin LLC". Elodin LLC is owned by "THE PRESIDENT OF WORLDBUILDERS INC". The president is Rothfuss. Worldbuilders paid "Elodin LLC" $87,450 for rent in 2017. I would think $87k would go an awful long way in small town Wisconsin..

A lot of people attacking the post and claiming there's nothing wrong with it, but even assuming all the donations going to HI aren't reported on the 990 its over a half million dollars on running a charity that just encourages people to donate to other charities, much less the fate of the remaining $150k not being made clear. The rent being paid to a LLC Rothfuss owns is also weird in that it may be legal but clearly he benefits from it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe Rohtfuss' silence on social media means he is furiously trying to work on the next book like a student on the night before a 22 page paper is due.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe Rohtfuss' silence on social media means he is furiously trying to work on the next book like a student on the night before a 22 page paper is due.
He's still doing plenty of RTs.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

lol nvm then.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pentyne posted:

there's a recent "what's going on with his charity" post in reddit

A lot of people attacking the post and claiming there's nothing wrong with it, but even assuming all the donations going to HI aren't reported on the 990 its over a half million dollars on running a charity that just encourages people to donate to other charities, much less the fate of the remaining $150k not being made clear. The rent being paid to a LLC Rothfuss owns is also weird in that it may be legal but clearly he benefits from it.

I work at a charitable organization. I am the controller. I prepare the 990. I communicate with our granters. I also communicate with our sub-grantees. Worldbuilders is a joke. They claim that they do not report the funds they raise that are passed on to HI. This is to avoid revealing how small those funds are.

It's certainly possible that WI has been useful or raised significant funds in the past, but currently, it appears to be a vehicle for Rothfuss to profit off of, both personally in a financial sense, and also giving him prestige and a store to sell his friends products in, and thus enhance his career.

Having an indirect rate of 78% is pretty high. The industry standard rate is between 10-15%. I.e. if I contacted a funder and told them I wanted them to give my organization a grant, and our expected indirect rate was 78%, they would laugh at me. Our indirect rate is around 13.5% (our NICRA with DoL is 13.% but I think that won't be accurate this year due to emergency Corona virus funding grants we've been asked to administer).

It's not the Trump charity, but it's certainly not a charitable organization in the way that most charitable orgs are charitable at this point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I work at a charitable organization. I am the controller. I prepare the 990. I communicate with our granters. I also communicate with our sub-grantees. Worldbuilders is a joke. They claim that they do not report the funds they raise that are passed on to HI. This is to avoid revealing how small those funds are.

It's certainly possible that WI has been useful or raised significant funds in the past, but currently, it appears to be a vehicle for Rothfuss to profit off of, both personally in a financial sense, and also giving him prestige and a store to sell his friends products in, and thus enhance his career.

Having an indirect rate of 78% is pretty high. The industry standard rate is between 10-15%. I.e. if I contacted a funder and told them I wanted them to give my organization a grant, and our expected indirect rate was 78%, they would laugh at me. Our indirect rate is around 13.5% (our NICRA with DoL is 13.% but I think that won't be accurate this year due to emergency Corona virus funding grants we've been asked to administer).

It's not the Trump charity, but it's certainly not a charitable organization in the way that most charitable orgs are charitable at this point.

quoting so I can find it again.

Really wish someone would get traction with an effortpost over how duplicitous the charity is. Anything posted on the reddit just gets critiqued to death with all the hearsay excuses they've made in the past and how intangible the real benefits of the org are.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003

Daric posted:

Then I apologize, in my drunken stupor I made the wrong word choice. Either way, it looks like outside of Cosmere stuff, Sanderson will only be doing collaborations with other authors.

You're still wrong. Stupidly wrong.

Skyward isn't Cosmere.
Alcatraz isn't Cosmere.
His future non-Cosmere space opera isn't a collab.

Plus the Cosmere is going to be 30-40 books.

"Sanderson isn’t even able to write most of his own books anymore" is just rubbish. Yeah, a small handful of books out of his next like 50 books might be collaborations. That's by no means, by any definition, "most".

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

let's all just relax and get back to what's really important: marvelling at how much of a piece of poo poo pat rothfuss is, and how it gets worse the further you go

i shared the charity effortpost with a friend of mine who told me she once had to insert herself into a conversation between rothfuss and one of her mentees because rothfuss was inviting (the latter) her to, quote, 'a private conversation about important things'

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Patware posted:

let's all just relax and get back to what's really important: marvelling at how much of a piece of poo poo pat rothfuss is, and how it gets worse the further you go

i shared the charity effortpost with a friend of mine who told me she once had to insert herself into a conversation between rothfuss and one of her mentees because rothfuss was inviting (the latter) her to, quote, 'a private conversation about important things'

Imagine that disgusting beard trying to invite you back to his room. Christ on a crutch how creepy

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Ragnarak posted:

You're still wrong. Stupidly wrong.

Skyward isn't Cosmere.
Alcatraz isn't Cosmere.
His future non-Cosmere space opera isn't a collab.

Plus the Cosmere is going to be 30-40 books.

"Sanderson isn’t even able to write most of his own books anymore" is just rubbish. Yeah, a small handful of books out of his next like 50 books might be collaborations. That's by no means, by any definition, "most".

God, you're so pedantic.

Alcratraz 6 is done and he hasn't mentioned any other books continuing in that series.

Skyward is 4 books, 3 will come out next year and then he has 1 more.

His future non-Cosmere space opera he has this to say about :
"No change from last year. This space opera series of novellas is in limbo until I find the right time to work on them. It will happen eventually."

So it hasn't moved in 2 years, I'm sure he's going to jump right on that.

I already amended my initial definition of "most" as describing the stuff he's already worked on. Most of his books currently are non-Cosmere. That will change as time goes on, obviously, but as it currently stands there's more non-Cosmere stuff. I get that my off-hand remark about how he's busy has enraged you but maybe take a step back and relax.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Seriously, take your Sanderson slapfight anywhere else.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

pseudanonymous posted:

If there was a local restaurant that gave 10% of their gross receipts to charity, people would say “wow, what a nice, altruistic thing to do. I want to support that company.” They wouldn’t be saying “you used 90% of your money to pay your employees and your bills, you capitalist pig.”

Some people might be upset at the nonprofit form that Worldbuilders took. “They should be a S Corp or a partnership” for “reasons,” they might say. But why? It doesn’t have profits. It should be organized as a nonprofit, it’s the only corporate form that makes sense.

Some people might be upset at the branding. “It’s not really a charity,” they might say. But you get to buy cool stuff and you get to do it in a way that some of your money goes to people that need it. Just because it’s not wholly altruistic doesn’t mean it’s evil. Not every nonprofit can be the Red Cross or UNICEF.

And if you still don’t like it, then...don’t buy stuff. You have agency.

I think people that pick battles with Worldbuilders need to pick different battles. Or better yet, don’t pick any battles. Just don’t battle.

What would you prefer WB to do? Just sell the stuff for profit?

Or not exist at all?

Or something else?

WB doesn’t try to pass itself off as anything else than what it is. So what do you want them to do differently?

reddit is dumb

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

It's hard to conclude anything from the 990. Their non-program expenses are a crazy high proportion, but it seems like Worldbuilders works as more of a marketing arm for other non-profits- saying "hey this charity exists, go donate to them." In that case, why would they report any of those donations as revenue, as you were suggesting in another post? The 'contract' with the donor doesn't involve WI. You're right that they don't seem explicitly charitable, but nonprofit and not-for-profit and charity are different things.

Whoever's making these contributions/grants to WI probably shouldn't do that, given the lack of financial transparency, and they're probably paying above-market rent to that related party, but I don't think the 990 is as damning as you're making it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wish I could peek into a timeline where Rothfuss was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time after RJ passed. I doubt the series would be finished, but there’d be some fun drama to read about.