Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pfizer's looks more promising to me. There seems to be significant skepticism about the Oxford vaccine, though they are a ways ahead on their timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Pfizer's looks more promising to me. There seems to be significant skepticism about the Oxford vaccine, though they are a ways ahead on their timeline.

Really? What is the skepticism about the Oxford vaccine (as opposed to other vaccine candidates--I have heard general skepticism that any vaccine will provide total long-term immunity to everyone)?

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 23, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That particular vaccine group apparently has a reputation for underdelivering, and the results on monkies were also not completely ideal (it definitely reduced severity but didn't completely prevent infection), though that may not be indicative of how it will work in humans of course. I'm also a bit uncertain about adenovirus vectors in general since there's a real concern that developing immunity to the vector will prevent boosters from being very effective. We'll see though, I hope it way outperforms.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 23, 2020

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

That particular vaccine group apparently has a reputation for underdelivering, and the results on monkies were also not completely ideal (it definitely reduced severity but didn't completely prevent infection), though that may not be indicative of how it will work in humans of course.

True--I had heard that about the early vaccines as a group, though; that they may be more about preventing hospitalizations than infections. Which is . . . not ideal, but probably better than nothing. And the latest I'd read was that that the Oxford trials were going "as well as could be expected"--which, I guess depends on what could be expected.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Bone bone bone bone, bone, bone, bone, bone, bone
Now tell me whatcha gonna do
When there ain't no where to run (tell me what)
(When judgment comes for you, when judgment comes for you)
And whatcha gonna do
When there aint no where to hide (tell me what)
When judgment comes for you ('cause it's gonna come for you)
Let's all bring it in for wally, eazy sees uncle charlie
Little boo, god's got him and I'm gonna miss everybody
I only roll with bone my gang look to where they lay
When playing with destiny, plays too deep for me to say
Lil' layzie came to me, told me if he should decease well then please
Bury me by my grand-grand and when you can, come follow me
God bless you working on a plan to heaven
Follow the lord all twenty-four-seven days, God is who we praise
Even though the devil's all up in my face
But he keeping me safe and in my place, say grace
For the case to race with a chance to face the judge
And I'm guessing my soul won't budge
Grudge because there's no mercy for thugs
Oh what can I do it's all about our family and how we roll
Can I get a witness let it unfold
We living our lives to eternal our soul aye-oh-aye-oh
Pray, and we pray and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
Everyday, everyday, everyday, everyday
And we pray, and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
Still we laced, now follow me roll stroll
Whether is tell of his heaven
Come let's go take a visit of people that's long gone
Darris, wally, eazy, terry, boo
It's steadily creeping up on the family
Exactly how many days we got lasting
While you laughin we're passing, passing away
So y'all go rest y'all souls
'Cause I know I'ma meet you up at the crossreads
Y'all know y'all forever got love from them bone thugs baby
Now eazy's long gone
Really wish he would come home
But when it's time to die
Gotta go bye bye
All a thug could do is cry, cry
Why they kill my dog and man
I miss my uncle charles y'all
And he shoudn't be gone, in front of his home
What they did to boo was wrong
Oh so wrong, oh so wrong
Gotta hold on gotta stay strong
When the day comes
Better believe bone got a shoulder you can lean on (lean on)
Hey and we pray, and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
Everyday, everyday, everyday, everyday
And we pray, and we pray, and we pray, and we pray
Everday, everyday, everyday, everyday
See you at the crossroads, crossroads, crossroads
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
See you at the crossroads, crossroads
So you won't be lonely
And I'm gonna miss everybody
And I'm gonna miss everybody when I'm gone
Living in a hateful world sending me straight to heaven
That's how we roll
That's how we roll
That's how we roll
And I'm asking the good lord with a sigh
It's I he told me we live to die
What's up with murder y'all, see my little cousin was hung
Somebody was really wrong, everybody want to test us dawg
Then miss sleazy set up eazy to fall, you know why we sinnin
And krayzie intended on ending it when it ends
Wanna come again, again and again
Now tell me whatcha gonna do
Can somebody anybody tell me why?
Hey, can somebody anybody tell me why we die, we die?
I dont wanna die
Oh, so wrong
Oh, wrong
Oh, so wrong
Oh, wrong
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
So you won't be lonely
Source: LyricFind

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Piggy Smalls posted:

Bone thugs n harmony

I also smoked weed as a 15 year old boy in the 90s/2000s.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

coronavirus posted:

I also smoked weed as a 15 year old boy in the 90s/2000s.

pre-existing condition not disclosed to insurer, no coverage, NEXT

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rutibex posted:

they would need a number of standardized strippers with a ceiling fan rotating at a consistent speed

wait wait wait what’s all this now?

somebody is paying people $2000 to stand in a room full of strippers?

how I get in on that action?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Baby mask for sale never used.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.

compshateme85 posted:

Phase 3 generally means a very large trial with a very diverse group of people (ages, pre-existing conditions, other medications used to treat chronic conditions, etc). You want to see how the drug is doing in a real world setting.

I tried to get in on a Moderna phase 3 trial that’s happening nearby. I got disqualified because I don’t leave my house “5 or more times per week to work or socialize” so they’re really interested in seeing how many people get infected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rbk posted:

I tried to get in on a Moderna phase 3 trial that’s happening nearby. I got disqualified because I don’t leave my house “5 or more times per week to work or socialize” so they’re really interested in seeing how many people get infected.

The gold standard would be a challenge trial where the participants are deliberately exposed to SARS-2.

That’s not ethical.

The next best thing is giving it to dumbasses who will go poke the virus with a stick and to desperate “essential workers” whose bosses force them into contact.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

The gold standard would be a challenge trial where the participants are deliberately exposed to SARS-2.

That’s not ethical.

The next best thing is giving it to dumbasses who will go poke the virus with a stick and to desperate “essential workers” whose bosses force them into contact.

they are only giving them a few hundred bucks for the "ethical" trial where they inject you with a mystery chemical. just bump up the payment and do the unethical trial, it could literally save millions of lives

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Paying desperate people money to do potentially harmful things doesn't suddenly remove the ethical issues...

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I just checked and it does

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Paying desperate people money to do potentially harmful things doesn't suddenly remove the ethical issues...

/side eye

Sounds like you got a problem with the spirit of FREE ENTERPRISE which makes AMERICA great, friend.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a harsh indictment of the US military

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

they are only giving them a few hundred bucks for the "ethical" trial where they inject you with a mystery chemical. just bump up the payment and do the unethical trial, it could literally save millions of lives

I said this in May:

Platystemon posted:

Giving ten thousand people ten million dollars each only costs a hundred billion.

“Only” a hundred billion, I know, but it’s less than two days of U.S. GDP in 2019.

The U.S. would never compensate people that well, not because it doesn’t make economic sense, but because the cruelty is the point. They’d rather the pandemic continue for months than make a little person’s heirs millionaires.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Going out in public during the pandemic has definitely made the FYGM people more visible. I saw a Boomer beaming through her face shield as everyone else wore uncomfortable masks around her and I couldn't keep track of the people solely wearing masks over their mouths while breaking easy through their noses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am asserting my second amendment right to keep and bear the mask gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa6BlJlrL-k&t=231s

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Are there some good theories on what's in the magic Russian vaccine? Is it just a rebranded BCG vaccine? A saline solution? Holy water?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zteuer posted:

Baby mask for sale never used.

jesus christ

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GABA ghoul posted:

Are there some good theories on what's in the magic Russian vaccine? Is it just a rebranded BCG vaccine? A saline solution? Holy water?

Same as everything else in Russia.

Vodka.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Platystemon posted:

I am asserting my second amendment right to keep and bear the mask gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa6BlJlrL-k&t=231s

that was surprisingly wholesome :haw:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Exactly what they're saying it is, a vaccine that's in the process of being developed and hasn't been approved in Russia so far? Why do you think it would be anything else?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Exactly what they're saying it is, a vaccine that's in the process of being developed and hasn't been approved in Russia so far? Why do you think it would be anything else?

Secrecy. If you have an effective corona vaccine with a good risk profile there is no reason to keep everything about it completely secret and not allow for peer review or criticism, unless you are hiding something. They did the same poo poo in June when their media went apeshit about being the first country in the world that has an effective treatment for COVID-19 in production(unlike the homosexual, decadent west). Then it turned out to just be a license to produce favipiravir domestically *womp womp womp* The level of blatant lying in their state propaganda is absolutely insane.

They are saying they are planning to start mass production this September, so they probably gonna ship something by winter. I'm just curious if there is some good speculation on what they gonna ship, based on past research published from that labs and how dangerous/effective it's gonna be.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm just curious if there is some good speculation on what they gonna ship, based on past research published from that labs and how dangerous/effective it's gonna be.
It'll be Krokodil

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GABA ghoul posted:

Secrecy. If you have an effective corona vaccine with a good risk profile there is no reason to keep everything about it completely secret and not allow for peer review or criticism, unless you are hiding something. They did the same poo poo in June when their media went apeshit about being the first country in the world that has an effective treatment for COVID-19 in production(unlike the homosexual, decadent west). Then it turned out to just be a license to produce favipiravir domestically *womp womp womp* The level of blatant lying in their state propaganda is absolutely insane.

They are saying they are planning to start mass production this September, so they probably gonna ship something by winter. I'm just curious if there is some good speculation on what they gonna ship, based on past research published from that labs and how dangerous/effective it's gonna be.

That’s loving stupid, just drink tap water.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Is that a good one? All I have read here is Oxord or bust. He said his brother in law was in it and getting 1900, who knows, i try to get through to him but he is a MAGA man but also maybe? wears a mask, idk, he asked me for recs but really who knows. When I meet my friends that' always wear a mask' it is surprising that 75 percent or more don't!

Perhaps it's different per study site, but this is the recruitment info I got from the Oxford/AZN study:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia literally gonna drop the krokodil on us like British opium in Hong Kong

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's quite possible the Russian vaccine is a knock-off Oxford/astrazeneca one because they stole all the data from it and there's suggestions it's also an adenoviral vaccine.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That’s loving stupid, just drink tap water.

Explain

naem
May 29, 2011

Saros posted:

It's quite possible the Russian vaccine is a knock-off Oxford/astrazeneca one because they stole all the data from it and there's suggestions it's also an adenoviral vaccine.

maybe they will accidentally perform an enormous test sample of it then on their population for us

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

*adds another zero on the end*

How about now

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
If you don't think there would be millions of people interested in the OPs idea of paying 10,000 people $10 million each to get a shot and then get blasted in the face with Covid you are crazy. I mean I might do it, but well I wouldn't but that is a lot of money!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Michael Corleone posted:

If you don't think there would be millions of people interested in the OPs idea of paying 10,000 people $10 million each to get a shot and then get blasted in the face with Covid you are crazy. I mean I might do it, but well I wouldn't but that is a lot of money!

Think of all the under 45 year old retail workers. They are basically guaranteed to be exposed to the virus anyway, might as well get paid. You could easily find 10,000 of them that would do it for a hell of a lot less than 10 million.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's a calculus similar to "how much to pay a soldier/cop?"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Facebook Aunt posted:

Think of all the under 45 year old retail workers. They are basically guaranteed to be exposed to the virus anyway, might as well get paid. You could easily find 10,000 of them that would do it for a hell of a lot less than 10 million.

I'd do it for 100 grand.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's really not just the ethical issues, it's a worse way to test your vaccine. We don't know for sure what a typical exposure looks like but how much you get definitely matters. Get the dose or administration a bit wrong and an ineffective vaccine might look effective or vice versa. Better to directly measure how well it works in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah 10 million dollars is comically high figure lol. It's the "how much could a banana cost?" of human life value.

"How much could it cost to get a desperate person to take a minor risk? Ten million dollars?"