Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zodack posted:

Knowing exclusives I had a suspicion that was the case but also thought "Gunpla Expo Big Event 2020" might have meant they'd have more stock since one of the draws was bringing Gundam Base stuff to P-Bandai. Ah well, I'll just double down next week and miss out on the LEGO Bespin Duel set. Complete the set of exclusive online shopping failures.

The big sets still seem to be in stock just fine. I think a lot of the weapons kits and bases went quickly because you had folks who wanted to get to $150 for the free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My GodHand Ultimate Nipper 5.0 arrived a few days back, and I've finally got a spare minute to use them on a 30mm kit and accessories.

What do I need to know do's and dont's wise with using these things?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My GodHand Ultimate Nipper 5.0 arrived a few days back, and I've finally got a spare minute to use them on a 30mm kit and accessories.

What do I need to know do's and dont's wise with using these things?

Well, you generally want to cut with the blade further into the nipper rather than the tips, to keep the tips from breaking (I think some people in the thread said they had this happen). Also store in a dry place to keep it from rusting.

Personally, and I think others do this too, I have godhands and a decent heavy duty set of cutters. I cut out the part with some of the sprue still on, then cut the remaining sprue off with the godhands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I guess I'll see what the big fuss is about using these things then...

...Oh, okay I get it now :stwoon:.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, you generally want to cut with the blade further into the nipper rather than the tips, to keep the tips from breaking (I think some people in the thread said they had this happen). Also store in a dry place to keep it from rusting.

Personally, and I think others do this too, I have godhands and a decent heavy duty set of cutters. I cut out the part with some of the sprue still on, then cut the remaining sprue off with the godhands.

+1 to all this. I lost one set of Godhands to rust after leaving them in my backpack that went through the rain. They were on their way out anyway, slightly misaligned bc I was using them to cut out the part from the runners.

Now I keep my godhands in a plastic bag during transport, and I use cheaper tamiya clippers to remove pieces from runners, and that's kept my godhands happy and healthy for years now.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I guess I'll see what the big fuss is about using these things then...

...Oh, okay I get it now :stwoon:.

See why we gush over them everytime someone asks about them. Just point everyone else that asks about them to Ned's post next time. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

See why we gush over them everytime someone asks about them. Just point everyone else that asks about them to Ned's post next time. :)

I was half-joking with that, I fully expected them to be something good goingin, but holy poo poo these things should not be as satisfying to use as they are :stare:.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was half-joking with that, I fully expected them to be something good goingin, but holy poo poo these things should not be as satisfying to use as they are :stare:.

don't cut clear plastic bc they can shatter (it even says this on the package)
don't get drunk and try and use them for scratchbuilding. if it's thick use a different pair.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Also don't use them to try to cut the mesh pipe you get in some kits. They didn't even make a scratch, just straight up snapped the cutting edge.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, it can be argued that Godhands are overpriced but nothing else does what they can do.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If you don't want to spend $65 or whatever is being charged for godhands, you can get single bladed nippers for $35 or so from a lot of places and you'll get a lot of the same benefit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

everythingWasBees posted:

don't cut clear plastic bc they can shatter (it even says this on the package)
don't get drunk and try and use them for scratchbuilding. if it's thick use a different pair.

Speaking of that, would that category include the armor pieces of the clear kits that the Gundam Expo has? If so then I may need to get some sandpaper. I do have an Xacto but I do not want to lose a fingertip

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of that, would that category include the armor pieces of the clear kits that the Gundam Expo has? If so then I may need to get some sandpaper. I do have an Xacto but I do not want to lose a fingertip

Yes, all clear plastic is going to have the same properties like that. Get a sharp x-acto blade and you can manage it pretty well; I’ve used one for part trimming my whole life and only tagged myself when I was using a blade too long.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So is this a thing just for Godhands or nippers in general? I picked up a clear armour RG Sazabi and don't like the sound of my fingers being full of metal...

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The godhand blade is extremely thin and it's a single-edged nipper so it cuts by having a flat end and a sharp, thin end.

No expert but hardier, cheaper nippers should be fine. Otherwise how else are you supposed to get the parts off the runner?

Fwiw I've cut clear parts with my godhands before I knew it was bad - mostly beam effects - and I didnt run into trouble. So it's not as if they'd explode immediately. Still, don't try it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I just got done with my RG Sazabi which is a satisfyingly large, chunky build. Just need to give him a few weapons then I can finally move onto that Zaku II.

I am thinking of getting an Accordion File so I can store any runners that are not completely used up and/or extra weapons and parts, decals, and instructions for already built kits so I can dispose with some of these boxes. Any other suggestions on this?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 23, 2020

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Has anyone else had a problem with the RG Full Burnern's upper torso not fitting onto the core fighter part very well? Mine just loses it arms and head the second you try and pose one of the arms, its kind of annoying.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mephiston posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with the RG Full Burnern's upper torso not fitting onto the core fighter part very well? Mine just loses it arms and head the second you try and pose one of the arms, its kind of annoying.

yeah it doesn't really snap in like you'd want, it just kinda sits on top.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mephiston posted:

That's pretty normal yeah. If you don't intend to transform it, it's probably easier to glue it on than deal with that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the gp01. I eventually just stuck it back in it's box

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, so much for getting an RG Perfectability. drat snipers. :argh:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It was gone within seconds, I had the page ready to go ASAP.

Must've had a very limited stock.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I tried to add it 2 minutes after it went live (and before it actually showed up in the list as available to order instead of upcoming) and it was already sold out. I wasn't sure I $80 wanted it, so that's fine.

Edit: I got the Haros, Petitguys, and the injection molding machine, so mission accomplished. Only thing I really wanted that sold out was the trans am Full Saber 00Q, which I think sold out earlier today.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 24, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Managed to get my Tallgeese III Special Coating and Blue RX-78. The Jesta is still available but I decided against it; I think I already spent enough (I could never spend enough)

Site definitely bucked for a few minutes there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Well, so much for getting an RG Perfectability. drat snipers. :argh:

I scored one, but I was one of the people who had the page loaded and F5d right at 9pm and it was the only thing I bought.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

I scored one, but I was one of the people who had the page loaded and F5d right at 9pm and it was the only thing I bought.

Yeah, I think I might've gotten it if I hadn't tried to add something else too. Picked up a few consolation kits and still spent less than the perfectability so that works out

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

I was one of these people though :(

edit: Considering getting the RG Banshee with light up psychoframe though... :shepspends:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 24, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Warmachine posted:

I was one of these people though :(

edit: Considering getting the RG Banshee with light up psychoframe though... :shepspends:

Yeah, I hit the add to cart button and it errored out. Such bullshit, none of the other major kits went out of stock like that.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I hit the add to cart button and it errored out. Such bullshit, none of the other major kits went out of stock like that.

The gouf was gone in seconds. Still managed to get one though

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

maninthesuit posted:

In hindsight, seeing their Brunhild get delayed by a literal year even after they'd shown off a full-color prototype was a red flag. I had high hopes for that one.

Just curious: anyone have the Brunhild on pre/order anywhere? Gundam Planet still has it on their calendar for 9/4. I'm a little bummed it's not the OG fat Brunhild but beggars, choosers.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

El Burbo posted:

The gouf was gone in seconds. Still managed to get one though

I didn't think it would go so quickly, didn't manage to snag one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I didn't think it would go so quickly, didn't manage to snag one.

I thought I'd have more time to make a decision on the $125 light up Banshee. Welp.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, when you sort by popularity, they had more of those pink zetas to sell than RG Perfectibilitys.

I really, really hate that I know I have to babysit their site if I really want something now because even though it’s “print to order” they’re going to be arbitrary about order quantities and whether or not they’ll do additional print runs. It’s 2020, even if you don’t have enough stock you should be able to put folks on wait lists and do additional print runs.

Maybe Bluefin will say something in the morning but the whole thing has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Christ, when you sort by popularity, they had more of those pink zetas to sell than RG Perfectibilitys.

I really, really hate that I know I have to babysit their site if I really want something now because even though it’s “print to order” they’re going to be arbitrary about order quantities and whether or not they’ll do additional print runs. It’s 2020, even if you don’t have enough stock you should be able to put folks on wait lists and do additional print runs.

Maybe Bluefin will say something in the morning but the whole thing has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

To me it smacks of bad business sense. You already have the FOMO from the limited time. You're just hobbling yourself by saying we're only making 100 of the $80 plastic crack. The margin above that will now be captured by scalpers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Warmachine posted:

To me it smacks of bad business sense. You already have the FOMO from the limited time. You're just hobbling yourself by saying we're only making 100 of the $80 plastic crack. The margin above that will now be captured by scalpers.

Yes, exactly this. And instead of people being thrilled online you have tons of folks complaining instead. The stores are fully stocked in Japan, so it’s not like they don’t exist. Ugh, I’ll get over it but it’s incredibly disappointing.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Paint question: can I mix metallics to produce a lighter shade? I have gunmetal (too dark) and chrome (far too bright) and I'd like a nice steel without having to drive an hour round trip to my local game store.

For metallics of a similar hue are they just a dark grey and a really light grey with the same metallic flakes, or is the metallic shade of each actually comprised of a specific metallic flake color?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
AFAIK it is just aluminum flakes with different tints applied. It's got a different medium, but that doesn't matter for your purpose. Just mix them if use the lighter chrome and tint it after it dries.

Aww yeah it's finished
https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1298082912861130753?s=21

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who needs a Mobile Suit when you could have a Battlemech? :smuggo:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh Lord that's cool. Rifleman right? Or is that a IIC? :v:

I always thought the Tieren was the most Battlemechy gunpla, guess it didn't occur to me you could just build your own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

Oh Lord that's cool. Rifleman right? Or is that a IIC? :v:

I always thought the Tieren was the most Battlemechy gunpla, guess it didn't occur to me you could just build your own

I was aiming more for Mad Cat, actually; I call it the Mad Rab(iot). With a touch of Marauder because I had the cannon leftover from my transforming tank Cielnova and it was too good not to use.

To make your own, you'll need a Rabiot, one of the two armor accessory packs with the construction gear, and two of the Arm Unit Rifle packs. Flavour with your Weapon and Option Packs of choice.