Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Jujutsu isn't disappointing in the slightest. But some things that were lost in translation that shed some light onto Sukuna's powers would point towards His ability being cooking related. His Domain Expansion also translates to Imperial Kitchen, and the editor's blurb that wasn't included in the Mangaplus translation states ""The kitchen of certain death has been revealed!!" which puts some things into context. Sukuna's cutting might just be him using a "knife" and the fire he pulled out a couple chapters ago wasn't him copying Jogo per-say, just him using his own "stove". I have to troll around 5ch some more but there might also be a mythological precedence for Sukuna and cooking as well. At least one japanese diety with the name Sukuna is credited for the invention of Sake and there is apparently a connection to hotpot as well.

Basically, Sukuna might be a master chef and this will become Toriko

Mashle is just :allears: with how he's going about this fight. Muscle wizards are truly the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Mashle is just :allears: with how he's going about this fight. Muscle wizards are truly the greatest.
Mashle is actually a surprisingly competent fight Manga, but I hope they swerve back to full on comedy soon. It was a good way by Mashle to stop him.
Interesting that the magic eye guy actually thought he was the same, but all he meant was that the world hated him. Not that he didn't have magic.

Hypocrisy posted:

New shonen jump chapters are out! Let's get our weekly dose of comedy.

Agravity Boys

Mangaplus

VIz

High Being takes his most evil form: Gacha game.

Roboco

Mangaplus

Viz

If I said I didn't laugh at the bullies actually being nice to Bondo I'd be lion.

This was all soo good.
The HB is evil incarnate.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Bone collection is done, not surprising but I enjoyed how weird it was.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah, this chapter was great! I'm sad to see it go. It had s much personality for such a generic premise

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Agreed. Honestly, this was the perfect end for this series. I'm not sure if I wanted to see it go longer, but a chapter like this makes me sad that it ended.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bone collector died to fuel Kubos ego

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A necessary sacrifice.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there a Burn the Witch Thread yet?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Grouchio posted:

Is there a Burn the Witch Thread yet?

Some people just use this Bleach thread. Close enough.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909239

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
RIP Bone Collection, you were enjoyed.

And Burn the Witch is worth reading for the ridiculous character names alone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hi, i'm cquntnire

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the -nire is silent

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gonna say the guy who has had very public struggles with depression and self-esteem probably isn't very egotistical

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Liked how Andy took down Rip in the new Undead Unluck.

Also liked that explanation of why Rip explains his powers to those he uses it on. He can't be killed by those trying to save themselves by killing him, as it's considered a way of trying to heal and thus he negates it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 24, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also liked that explanation of why Rip explains his powers to those he uses it on. He can't be killed by those trying to save themselves by killing him, as it's considered a way of trying to heal and thus he negates it.

Yeah, that's really clever. I like how the powers in Undead Unluck function somewhat similarly to stands in Jojo or some Nen abilities in HxH, with strict rules and clearly defined abilities that you have to work around.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

New Jujutsu isn't disappointing in the slightest. But some things that were lost in translation that shed some light onto Sukuna's powers would point towards His ability being cooking related. His Domain Expansion also translates to Imperial Kitchen, and the editor's blurb that wasn't included in the Mangaplus translation states ""The kitchen of certain death has been revealed!!" which puts some things into context. Sukuna's cutting might just be him using a "knife" and the fire he pulled out a couple chapters ago wasn't him copying Jogo per-say, just him using his own "stove". I have to troll around 5ch some more but there might also be a mythological precedence for Sukuna and cooking as well. At least one japanese diety with the name Sukuna is credited for the invention of Sake and there is apparently a connection to hotpot as well.

Basically, Sukuna might be a master chef and this will become Toriko

This is pretty cool tbh. Gotta agree with it, given I cant make a connection between fire and slicing otherwise.

This is an interesting Shikigami that the Zen'in Family have on standby here. It seems perfect to be a last stand "If I die, they die" sort of shikigami.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, it was a good fight.
I actually really liked unrepair. He seemed so happy with everything, which led to fun exchanges.

I wish it had protags.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We're barely into it, but the Senpai arc in We Never Learn has been stellar thus far, possibly the best yet.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://mangadex.org/title/36648/helck-2-vlundio-surreal-sword-saga

helck sequel :woop:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Magu-chan: I love how this new kid looks like someone's OC; He's even got two-toned hair, heterochromia and a super special eye. :allears:

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin: I'm gonna drop this one. I thought it'd get less ACAB as time goes on, but it only gets worse. Last week was pure sexual harassment on the lady cop, and the start of the current chapter has the hard-boiled cop not believing a distressed citizen's plea for help and thinking they were crazy.

Ghostwriter: I guess the MC has a message he wants to convey in his manga now, or at least something he wants to say to Aino? On the other hand, this really just stinks of a guy getting all the advantages to succeed over a more talented woman.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Oh hell yes!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, never knew a pack of bears was called a Sleuth.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

We're barely into it, but the Senpai arc in We Never Learn has been stellar thus far, possibly the best yet.

Senpai arc is the best arc because Senpai is the best girl, QED.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Helck yeah!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

Magu-chan: I love how this new kid looks like someone's OC; He's even got two-toned hair, heterochromia and a super special eye. :allears:

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin: I'm gonna drop this one. I thought it'd get less ACAB as time goes on, but it only gets worse. Last week was pure sexual harassment on the lady cop, and the start of the current chapter has the hard-boiled cop not believing a distressed citizen's plea for help and thinking they were crazy.

Ghostwriter: I guess the MC has a message he wants to convey in his manga now, or at least something he wants to say to Aino? On the other hand, this really just stinks of a guy getting all the advantages to succeed over a more talented woman.

lol glad I didn't stick with Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin after the second chapter.

Speaking of bad manga, has anyone kept up with Ghost Reaper Girl? That very pedophilic first chapter was so creepy I didn't even bother finishing it. Has it improved at all since then?

Ghostwriter: Interesting chapter, I'm guessing the message he wants to convey is that life is precious and shouldn't be wasted, or something similar. It wouldn't surprise me if this is heading towards a finale, but I've been wondering that for weeks now so who knows.

Roboco continues to own hard

Agravity boys was fantastic this week too, I'm glad it's back in the swing of things. I kinda feel bad though, like maybe the artist was trying to do something more serious with the flashback arc, but when that didn't work they had to go back to the comedy schtick. Either way it's a good schtick, so I hope they're still enjoying it!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

lol glad I didn't stick with Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin after the second chapter.

Speaking of bad manga, has anyone kept up with Ghost Reaper Girl? That very pedophilic first chapter was so creepy I didn't even bother finishing it. Has it improved at all since then?

Agravity boys was fantastic this week too, I'm glad it's back in the swing of things. I kinda feel bad though, like maybe the artist was trying to do something more serious with the flashback arc, but when that didn't work they had to go back to the comedy schtick. Either way it's a good schtick, so I hope they're still enjoying it!

Serious...in the flashback? Where they use broccoli super attacks to teach some college kids a lesson? The flashback where Saga has no idea how he got where he was but was literally presented as a prince on a horse? That flashback?
I mean I didn't like it, but I wouldn't call it serious.

I've kept up to ghost reaper girl. It's been fun enough, but very confusing to read. :psyduck:
The pedophilia has been dialed down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hard-boiled Cop thing is really depressing because Beelzebub was so good.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

helck sequel is already good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

helck sequel is already good

seems like it is pretty far removed from when helck happened, though. there was just the one human kingdom in helck, and they had no concept of demihumans.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Time Paradox Ghostwriter is done.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1298555732078604288

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good riddance

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Such wasted potential

Kind of poetic with the source material, really

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I seem to recall reading once that the order in the pages also somewhat shows how popular a series is. In which case a gravity boys and Moriking are apparently worst.
No idea if there was any truth to that

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

I seem to recall reading once that the order in the pages also somewhat shows how popular a series is. In which case a gravity boys and Moriking are apparently worst.
No idea if there was any truth to that

From what I've heard, this is only partially true. Some people treat the Table of Contents as a literal ranking of how popular a series is, which is NOT true. The ToC is determined by one of the lead editors of the magazine, and their method for ordering hasn't ever been fully explained as far as I know.

That being said, I find it likely that the more popular series will tend to be put near the front, as those will likely be the headliners and most noticeable series. Stuff in the back probably won't be as read by either weekly subscribers or people just flipping through it in the magazine rack, so it's likely the less popular series are put back there. I would say it's probably not unreasonable to assume that if a series is consistently placed near the end of each issue, it may not be super popular, but I wouldn't use specific placements to say SERIES X IS BETTER THAN SERIES Y CUS IT'S ONE SPOT ABOVE IT ON THE TOC. If being near the end of the ToC really is a sign of bad ratings, it's a drat shame for Agravity Boys - and maybe Moriking but I could never really get into it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sorry for double post but there's a new chapter of The Vertical World today and

Clarste posted:

I like how every single chapter ends with a revelation that changes our understanding of the world completely.

Every. Single. Chapter.

EVERY. SINGLE. CHAPTER.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
according to bakuman (so take this with a grain of salt), some manga genres simply don't rate well with the lovely sj polling system. but if the editorial wants a particular manga to stay to maintain a varied lineup (i.e., there is only one gag manga currently running), the ratings are ignored.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah a number of Manga don't poll, but sell significantly better as volumes/tanks than their rankings would indicate

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

A bit of a shame given the author's history but the idea was kind of unworkable in Shonen Jump.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

A bit of a shame given the author's history but the idea was kind of unworkable in Shonen Jump.

I think the idea was perfectly workable, it's just the main character was totally unlikable and the most interesting parts of the premise were dropped immediately. The story also couldn't sit still for more than like two chapters, skipping over huge chunks that could have been used for interesting character development to try to rush the story along towards...well, nothing really. I feel like almost everyone could relate to that phenomenal first chapter, and Aino as a character was surprisingly likable - having her be included as an assistant was a neat idea. Develop the story from there to include him learning how to actually improve his art and his craft, actually learn the skills necessary to do what he couldn't. Develop the relationship between him and Aino as friends and eventually rivals as she gets her own manga. Etc etc. "Learning to be a great artist" is not all that much different from "learning to be a great fighter" or "learning to be a great volleyball player" or "learning to be a great hero" or whatever, but it needs to be well structured and written, which Ghostwriter wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Professorjuggalo posted:

ghostwriter had the best one shot i've read in a really long time and already squandered its potential which is ironic considering what the manga is about

codman summed it up really well, a shame cause it coulda been amazing if it went another direction