Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Grimson posted:

There were more, actually, they were just like self-published blog stuff

edit: oh, actually maybe the third book was the one that started out with a bunch of blog posts

The Big Meow? Yeah, it started out in online serialization, then she did some kind of crowdfunding thing to expand it into an actual book. It had a long and troubled history and I still haven't read it -- maybe I should do that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

Vague rumor is she might write another. But I wouldn't hold my breath or anything. Great books though.

It did seem odd that the end of the books say 5/6 are about to come out/being worked on, but were released in 2005. Her blog makes it sound like she writes full time now? I guess in 2005 on the wake of a 2003/2004 schedule it probably seemed more doable.

Also just finished the second book and the reveal it builds up to that the guidestars are basically terraforming the world in concert with the inhabitants was great (though the draw of the books is definitely still the more human scale stories than the big picture stuff).

E: ok maybe not clear that she writes full time actually, it sounds like she’s had a lot going on!

E2: also the third book starts with such a helpful recap. I really wish this was standard for every book (doesn’t even need to be in fiction, could just be an explanatory sparknotes paragraph or two!)

tildes fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 25, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Being into sci-fi back when there were 15 novels a year must have been fun. You could literally read everything being published in the genre.

In 1951 most sf was published in magazines, very little of it was published in book form. It's a fun thing to think about, though, as a case study in information overload. Here's Asimov's recollections from his essay "Science Fiction 1938":

quote:

But in 1938, the last year of our delight, there was no hint of such a thing.

Remember, too, that aside from the fact that we fans had each other, we had the world of science fiction, the whole world. It was perfectly easy to read every issue of every science fiction magazine and in that way stay abreast of all of science fiction. I mean all of it, every word.

The fan could know all the authors and everything each one of them wrote. For years, for instance, I kept a catalogue in which I listed every story that was published. I don't mean lots of them. I mean every story. I listed them alphabetically by title and by author; I rated each one and gave my comments. I made lists of the better stories.

You could wake me up in the middle of the night and whisper a title to me and I would give you, without perceptible pause, the author, the plot, my opinion of the quality, and sometimes the exact issue of the exact magazine in which it appeared.

Try to do that now.

The most assiduous reader of science fiction must allow innumerable novels and short stories to get past him; must find that writers will win Hugos and Nebulas and that somehow he has never heard of them; occasionally dis covers that his favourite author has written twenty items he has never read and cannot locate; finds something he considers wonderful and is lost in frustration because no one he knows has read it or heard of it. You may read science fiction today, but can't know you science fiction; no one can.

We could.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 25, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I get it, but that still kinda screams "Back in my day!" like some old dude yelling at the kids in the library about having too many books to choose from.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't think he's suggesting it's better or anything, more marvelling at the difference. There's a lot more literature and fiction in general these days, of course, but it must have been really fascinating to be there at the beginning of the birth of a genre.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recommend me some apocalyptic fiction - not post-apocalyptic, but apocalyptic, i.e. the characters begin in the ordinary world and live (or don't live) through the end of civilisation as we know it. (Either that or survivors down the track have flashbacks; basically I want to see the event.) I'm particularly interested in 1940s-1990s, particularly interested in nuclear war, but I'll take all comers.

I've read:
All of John Wyndham
All of John Christopher
Earth Abides
Alas, Babylon
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang
The Stand
Warday
The Parable of the Sower
The Road
The Dog Stars
The Last Policeman trilogy

And in fact I'm also interested in nuclear war fiction even if that doesn't result in an "apocalypse."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

freebooter posted:

Recommend me some apocalyptic fiction - not post-apocalyptic, but apocalyptic, i.e. the characters begin in the ordinary world and live (or don't live) through the end of civilisation as we know it. (Either that or survivors down the track have flashbacks; basically I want to see the event.) I'm particularly interested in 1940s-1990s, particularly interested in nuclear war, but I'll take all comers.

I've read:
All of John Wyndham
All of John Christopher
Earth Abides
Alas, Babylon
A Canticle for Leibowitz
The Stand
Warday
The Parable of the Sower
The Road
The Dog Stars

And in fact I'm also interested in nuclear war fiction even if that doesn't result in an "apocalypse."

It's horror, not SF, but Swan Song by Robert McCammon sets up the characters then goes straight into a nuclear war.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

High-Rise by J.G. Ballard. There aren't any nukes, but you do get a tale about the breakdown of civility.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tokamak posted:

High-Rise by J.G. Ballard. There aren't any nukes, but you do get a tale about the breakdown of civility.

Would Children of Men count, then? It's a slow motion end of the world.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

branedotorg posted:

Robert Rankin is another who is somehow still banging them out.

Robert Rankin is good though. :colbert:

I mean, I can't speak to anything after Knees Up Mother Earth, but

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Black Griffon posted:

Well nuts. Can I get one person who liked the ending so I can go into it with no bias?

I enjoyed the ending, in fact I probably liked Absolution Gap the most of the trilogy for it's weirdness and setting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Robert Rankin is good though. :colbert:

I mean, I can't speak to anything after Knees Up Mother Earth, but

Robert Rankin's greatest contribution to SF was and remains buying Aunt Beru's Tupperware for Star Wars.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Adrian Tchaikovsky's newest, The Doors of Eden, is out. It's good.

It's also a bit different from his priors, as it's set on Earth in the modern day except when it isn't but plenty weird nonetheless, and biology-centric as usual.

No spiders or octopodes but there's trilobites, dinosaurs, dinosaurs riding dinosaurs, and Neanderthals.. Queer representation included, in an organic and story-furthering way. Overall it's fast-paced, at times funny, and not as dark as some of his other books.

Tchaikovsky's been getting pretty good lately.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Just finished The Tyrant Baru Cormorant and it was simply stunning. Great job, General, and I've already uploaded a review to Amazon.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

What are the good sites for just keeping track of what's coming out in a given month? I used to keep an eye on Tor's New Releases posts, but that appears to have stopped this month.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Less Fat Luke posted:

I enjoyed the ending, in fact I probably liked Absolution Gap the most of the trilogy for it's weirdness and setting.

perfect, no one say anything elese about Revelation Space until I'm done with it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

rmdx posted:

dinosaurs riding dinosaurs.

Sold, and sold.

Also, thanks thread for bringing Tom Holt/K.J. Parker to my attention. John Wellington Wells and Co. books, what a grand concept.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Space was the revelation the whole time!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

freebooter posted:

I've read:
All of John Wyndham
All of John Christopher
Earth Abides
Alas, Babylon
A Canticle for Leibowitz
The Stand
Warday
The Parable of the Sower
The Road
The Dog Stars

Holy poo poo you've got to order a paperback copy of FIRE LANCE immediately. It's a technothriller but it's also pure carbon-of-burning-cities black nuclear apocalypse nightmare.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
When the wind blows.

The Cold War, especially 80's Britain, was an amazingly bleak period to grow up in.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That there Greg Bear book with the apocalypse stuff, uhhh, The Forge of God.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Blindsight/Firefall, good and kinda sorta apocalypse?

Steven Baxter’s Flood and Ark are okay, but definitely during the apocalypse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Blindsight/Firefall, good and kinda sorta apocalypse?

Steven Baxter’s Flood and Ark are okay, but definitely during the apocalypse.

Watt's Firefall and Rifters books all take place during a slow motion collapse of human civilization so I guess they might work.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

freebooter posted:

I've read:
[...]

I was just reading the wiki page for John Brunner's "The Sheep Look Up" the other day and it sounds like something you'd want.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the reccs everyone!

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo you've got to order a paperback copy of FIRE LANCE immediately. It's a technothriller but it's also pure carbon-of-burning-cities black nuclear apocalypse nightmare.

If you mean this book by David Mace...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/882982.Fire_Lance?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=JXeQ4RVeV8&rank=2

...then that seems like exactly the kind of little-known pulpy 1980s novel I'm looking for!

(I think this sudden urge is driven in part by my COVID lockdown reading for the past five months consisting entirely of new books delivered by the local indie, or library e-book loans; I miss the smell of a second-hand bookstore or op shop, and finding obscure gems from 40 years ago).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's horror, not SF, but Swan Song by Robert McCammon sets up the characters then goes straight into a nuclear war.

I actually came across this yesterday while perusing best apoc fiction lists, and the blurb made it seem like a knock-off of The Stand so I kept on scrolling, but on closer inspection it seems like it's pretty well regarded and won a bunch of awards. Thanks!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G4W49C/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This could easily veer into contemporary horror/thrillers (and I'd take recommendations on that too), but I've listened to the first season of The White Vault (horror podcast set on Svalbard) and I'm watching The Terror (loving marvelous) and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for fantasy/sci-fi set in dreadful, arctic conditions. There's something about the mercilessness of it all that makes it so appealing (planning a re-watch of The Thing later on, of course).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Random Acts of Senseless violence is about a twelve-year-old girl's life during the self-destruction of America. Society crumbles and she notices about as much of it as you'd expect a kid her age to notice. It's all written from her perspective and sometimes she's a little poo poo, but overall I got very attached to her and I liked the prose.

e: Oh there's always On The Beach if you're more in a mood for slow miserable existential nightmare apocalypse but I feel like that might not be quite the thing

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 26, 2020

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

That there Greg Bear book with the apocalypse stuff, uhhh, The Forge of God.

Note that this book is extremely American. It could pass as the novelization of a Harrison Ford movie.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Urcher posted:

Note that this book is extremely American. It could pass as the novelization of a Harrison Ford movie.

It is? The president is an idiot, the military is helpless, nothing can be done. That’s not very American.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, it can be. As long as there's a PLUCKY EVERYMAN who can DO THINGS THAT THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T OR WON'T, and does what's NEEDED TO BE DONE while also being somewhat TIRED OF THIS poo poo, it's an american/Harry Ford movie.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

General Battuta posted:

It is? The president is an idiot, the military is helpless, nothing can be done. That’s not very American.

Maybe it's just me. There are scenes in the white house and on air force one. The parts set in Australia were clearly not run past an Australian before publishing (or they were and the Australian decided it would be funnier this way). It describes a global event but never mentions any part of it that doesn't directly effect an American.

It isn't American propaganda, but it is definitely trying to tell a global story but only telling an American story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, I mean, when aliens invade and go to take over the world, it's normally IN America.

NYC usually.

The rest of you guys will fall like dominoes in this house of cards we call Earth.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

:thejoke:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Urcher posted:

It isn't American propaganda, but it is definitely trying to tell a global story but only telling an American story.

I think that's a fair criticism although it's sort of a no-win situation for the author - do you write what you know and exclude most of the world or do you try to write other countries and risk being superficial or even offensive? The Australia stuff felt inauthentic to me and I'm not even Australian.

Seeing this post made me think about other novels about the world as a whole facing the threat of extinction, and the first two examples I could think of fell into the exact same trap. Seveneves also has the end of the world told almost exclusively through the eyes of American leaders and scientists (apart from one token Middle Eastern character who was literally Malala Yousafzai but naive and passive) - I actually think this case was worse than Forge of God as (spoiler for overall plot structure) the Americans succeed in surviving the apocalypse and society in the far future is consciously based on 21st-Century America.

The Three Body Problem on the other hand was fascinating to me, a reader used to British and American perspectives, because it was a nominally global novel in which all the major players happen to be Chinese, and anyone who wasn't Chinese was a broad stereotype. My favourite was the Japanese woman who turns out to be a devious sociopath who melodramatically commits seppuku when her plan is foiled.

But as Battuta said the overall outlook of Forge of God is almost aggressively opposed to Hollywood optimism - hope is impossible, established authorities and plucky individuals are equally useless and the aliens specifically take advantage of America's unconscious apocalyptic fantasies to paralyse the country further.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Grimson posted:

What are the good sites for just keeping track of what's coming out in a given month? I used to keep an eye on Tor's New Releases posts, but that appears to have stopped this month.

Locus has a "forthcoming books" page that's usually pretty good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gato posted:

The Three Body Problem on the other hand was fascinating to me, a reader used to British and American perspectives, because it was a nominally global novel in which all the major players happen to be Chinese, and anyone who wasn't Chinese was a broad stereotype. My favourite was the Japanese woman who turns out to be a devious sociopath who melodramatically commits seppuku when her plan is foiled.
The later books have the American CIA man who is a Hard Man Making Hard Choices and the only surprising thing about him is that he actually turns out to be right, because Cixin Liu's misogyny apparently weighs heavier than the nationalism.

(I really dislike how that character was handled, don't get me started)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Black Griffon posted:

perfect, no one say anything elese about Revelation Space until I'm done with it.

LOL feel free to PM when you're done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

freebooter posted:

Recommend me some apocalyptic fiction - not post-apocalyptic, but apocalyptic, i.e. the characters begin in the ordinary world and live (or don't live) through the end of civilisation as we know it."

If I'm understanding correctly, Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and some of Egan's work (Distress and Permutation City, maybe?) for slow and abstract values of apocalypse