Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think the text really answers the "what is the source of Mat's luck" thing.

His luck *starts* right after the Aes Sedai first zap him in the Tower, but that's also the first time we really get a scene with him where he isn't insane or playing second fiddle to another character.

There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene at the start of book 2 (right before Suian shows up) where Mat's dicing with Sheinaran soldiers and "can hardly touch the dice without winning". That's after he finds the dagger, but well before he's properly healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

CainsDescendant posted:

Honestly with how much time we spend in the characters heads, it might be better to just lean into it and go full Legion with psychedelic dance numbers in the mindscape. I may be alone in this, but I feel like the worst thing they could do with this show would be to tone down the weird taveren and magic stuff.

eke out posted:

rand battles ishmael in the sky over falme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

e: this has reminded me, Navid Negahban can play basically any male Forsaken

I agree with all of this. Negahban would make a great Ish: I can already see him with bottomless caverns of flame for eyes/mouth. They need to get Joey Batey to be Asmodean though because it would be hilarious to have someone typecasted as "only-plays-bards-in-fantasy-shows".

And while I would love for someone else to use Legion's treatment of invisible mind magic duels as inspiration, I also think it's really unlikely we'll get that. I assume it's going to be closer to Star Wars force powers, with gestures accompanying effects and no other visible signs of power, at least until they want to blow some CGI budget to show a channeler's perspective.

It would be great if they lean really hard into the mysticism aspects of Aes Sedai channeling with gestures and foci and poo poo so that they can just show rather than spend a bunch of time telling how wild it is that Rand and others can just intuitively savant poo poo into happening without any training, theoretical knowledge of separate weaves/powers, or performative crutches.

ConfusedUs posted:

Recurring sound effect that cues when something interesting is about to happen. A little leitmotif. It's not something you'd play constantly, but instead cue it up at the relevant moments.

The first example that pops into my head is the rattlesnake sound you get in What We Do in the Shadows any time Colin Robinson is draining someone.

I also think it would be appropriate to use visual ambiance as well as audio/musical cues for channeling happening, and they could totally pick different ones of decreasing subtlety for Saidin, Saidar, and the true power. Would make for some nice easter egg-ish stuff for people familiar with the books to pick up on - like the Bela scene in Book 1 and the other times Rand "accidentally" channels.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 25, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I also think it would be appropriate to use visual ambiance as well as audio/musical cues for channeling happening, and they could totally pick different ones of decreasing subtlety for Saidin, Saidar, and the true power. Would make for some nice easter egg-ish stuff for people familiar with the books to pick up on - like the Bela scene in Book 1 and the other times Rand "accidentally" channels.

Agreed!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Saidin - ff7 battle win fanfare
Saidar - price is right fail horn
True power - fart sounds

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

aparmenideanmonad posted:

And while I would love for someone else to use Legion's treatment of invisible mind magic duels as inspiration, I also think it's really unlikely we'll get that. I assume it's going to be closer to Star Wars force powers, with gestures accompanying effects and no other visible signs of power, at least until they want to blow some CGI budget to show a channeler's perspective.

I've already made peace with the fact that whatever they do for channeling is never going to be as cool as what I imagine from reading, but I'm still holding out hope that it's gonna be at the least a fresh take. I might be overly optimistic.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

Saidin - ff7 battle win fanfare
Saidar - price is right fail horn
True power - fart sounds

In season 2, bloom will be a writer foley artist on the show.

CainsDescendant posted:

I've already made peace with the fact that whatever they do for channeling is never going to be as cool as what I imagine from reading, but I'm still holding out hope that it's gonna be at the least a fresh take. I might be overly optimistic.

Right there with you minus the optimism.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Are there Trolloc farmers? I swear there's a passage where Blight trollocs are carrying bread rations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

Are there Trolloc farmers? I swear there's a passage where Blight trollocs are carrying bread rations.

There are cities in the Blight, because of course there are cities in the Blight. They're populated with Shadowsworn, Dreadlords, captured slaves, but probably* not trollocs. With the existence of cities implies the existence of some level of farming that supports them, though it's anyone's guess as to how those work in the Blight. IIRC Graendal (or someone) visiting Moridin in one of his Blight strongholds saw farmers off in the distance.

Anyway yeah, there's too much going on in the Blight for there to not be a whole civilization and infrastructure to support them.

Maybe the Blight that everyone from the Borderlands sees is just a no man's land border of poison, death, and ruin, and the interior bits that nobody but the Shadow has access to are barely more habitable.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 25, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope they have Aes Sedai running around doing full “lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!” a la:

https://youtu.be/j_ekugPKqFw

Whereas the Forsaken or Damane cause 10x more damage without lifting a finger.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of, it would actually be kind of funny if the visual cues they adopt make it pretty apparent to viewers that sul'dams are also channelling.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Whereas the Forsaken or Damane cause 10x more damage without lifting a finger.

Yeah, that the different channelling groups approach somatic gestures for their weaving differently is really neat and it's one of the minor details I suspect they'll not bother with but super hope they do.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm imagining a lot of arm waving and ball throwing motions.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There are cities in the Blight, because of course there are cities in the Blight. They're populated with Shadowsworn, Dreadlords, captured slaves, but probably* not trollocs. With the existence of cities implies the existence of some level of farming that supports them, though it's anyone's guess as to how those work in the Blight. IIRC Graendal (or someone) visiting Moridin in one of his Blight strongholds saw farmers off in the distance.

Anyway yeah, there's too much going on in the Blight for there to not be a whole civilization and infrastructure to support them.

Maybe the Blight that everyone from the Borderlands sees is just a no man's land border of poison, death, and ruin, and the interior bits that nobody but the Shadow has access to are barely more habitable.

I would assume it's like Mordor (lol it IS Mordor) where the borders are an inhospitable hellhole but the interior is fertile. Mordor, after all, had vast farmlands in its interior, because those orc armies need to be fed somehow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mad Hamish posted:

I would assume it's like Mordor (lol it IS Mordor) where the borders are an inhospitable hellhole but the interior is fertile. Mordor, after all, had vast farmlands in its interior, because those orc armies need to be fed somehow.

The Blight is a hellscape but it seems to be incredibly fertile and rich in plant life.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mad Hamish posted:

I mean, Mountains of Dhoom? The Pit of Doom?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm imagining a lot of arm waving and ball throwing motions.

And much less pronounced for the Forsaken, wasn't Semirhage described as flicking her hand when she burnt off Rand's arm?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Zore posted:

The Blight is a hellscape but it seems to be incredibly fertile and rich in plant life.

Yeah in EotW there's lots of growth, it's just corrupted. And whichever book has the scene set in the village at the foot of Shayol Ghul shows that there are people who live there and some semblance of society. So presumably they can either grow or import enough food to sustain at least a couple of those, plus Trolloc camps, etc.

Maybe Shadow friends and spawn can eat what grows there, just with very unpleasant side effects.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And much less pronounced for the Forsaken, wasn't Semirhage described as flicking her hand when she burnt off Rand's arm?

I'm pretty sure the text goes out of its way to say nobody moves a muscle normally when channeling.

It'll all come down to that one duel in the museum where it's FLYING FIREBALLS AND STREAMERS AND EXPLOSIONS AND LOUD BOOMING NOISES AND SHRIEKING AND FLAMES AND

*cut to janitor walking by, sees two women silently standing three feet apart with gritted teeth staring daggers at one another with soft muzak playing; then cut back to*

SHRIEKING AND FIRE AND WATERFALLS AND SPECTRAL VOLCANOES AND RIBBONS OF POWER TEARING EACH OTHER APART

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Don't remember any description of fireballs or volcanoes, just a contest of strength/will. More like arm wrestling vs a totally jacked dude only to realize that you're actually pretty strong too, doesn't look like much from the outside but there's a lot actually happening.

I realize that's not a great metaphor, but it's the first one that came to mind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Data Graham posted:

I'm pretty sure the text goes out of its way to say nobody moves a muscle normally when channeling.

It'll all come down to that one duel in the museum where it's FLYING FIREBALLS AND STREAMERS AND EXPLOSIONS AND LOUD BOOMING NOISES AND SHRIEKING AND FLAMES AND

*cut to janitor walking by, sees two women silently standing three feet apart with gritted teeth staring daggers at one another with soft muzak playing; then cut back to*

SHRIEKING AND FIRE AND WATERFALLS AND SPECTRAL VOLCANOES AND RIBBONS OF POWER TEARING EACH OTHER APART

I mean this depends heavily. Moiraine is depicted as using a lot of gestures early on, using her staff as a focus and waving it over everyone etc.

I think they explicitly call out Damane as not moving when they channel and the Sul'Dam beating a lot of their habits out of them, but almost every other group that does channel uses at least some gesture.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's mention early on that the gestures learned are so ingrained that they fall into the same category as "you can't learn more than one weave for the same task". Specifically, none of the Aes Sedai can make a fireball without a throwing motion, although Damane and (IIRC) wise ones have no such limit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Don't remember any description of fireballs or volcanoes, just a contest of strength/will. More like arm wrestling vs a totally jacked dude only to realize that you're actually pretty strong too, doesn't look like much from the outside but there's a lot actually happening.

I realize that's not a great metaphor, but it's the first one that came to mind.

I mean, yes, that's what's happening, but both descriptions are correct. There's tons of text description about these battles of wills that's about how they're firing so many weaves off at each other, cutting them, blocking them, etc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I guess that's true for the series overall, I just don't remember that particular fight going down that way. Maybe I should reread it. I remember it being much simpler, just two wills trying to dominate each other through sheer strength rather than a bunch of mental jousting with fancy weaves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think he was exaggerating for comic effect, y'all

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Data Graham posted:

That one, specifically, is actually not what you've described, because it's literally the two of them with all of their strength in stilling weaves smashed up against each other like a pair of locked swords. The narrative does go out of its way to point out that a third party would've just seen two women staring real hard at each other, though.

IIRC, most of the face-to-face duels end up that way, actually, with shields and holding them off being the primary focus

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Re: Mat's dice

It's like none of y'all have seen Jumanji.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jfc folks its a joke

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah in EotW there's lots of growth, it's just corrupted. And whichever book has the scene set in the village at the foot of Shayol Ghul shows that there are people who live there and some semblance of society. So presumably they can either grow or import enough food to sustain at least a couple of those, plus Trolloc camps, etc.

Maybe Shadow friends and spawn can eat what grows there, just with very unpleasant side effects.

They also had that town that Luc went to and talked about growing up in. He was talking about how there were other orphans and regular humans there so there must be food and some infrastructure.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

seaborgium posted:

They also had that town that Luc went to and talked about growing up in. He was talking about how there were other orphans and regular humans there so there must be food and some infrastructure.

Very pedantically, Luc didn't go to the Blight until he was an adult. It was Isam who grew up in the Blight.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Very pedantically, Luc didn't go to the Blight until he was an adult. It was Isam who grew up in the Blight.

SHHHHHH

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

It's been years since I made the attempt but I'm gonna get through this series now that all the books are written. Last made the attempt years ago after reading them as a teen and sputtered out on book 10

I'm most of the way through Great Hunt and I'm shocked at how much is actually happening that I thought came later - Seanchan are here! Thom's alive! War of succession begins! Whitecloak false flags! Lanfear's bad disguises! Black Ajah!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lotta poo poo happens in those first 7ish books that’s probably why most people really hate when it grinds to a halt around 9.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

seaborgium posted:

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that they were working on breeding crops that were resistant to the Blight? I feel like that came up then.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that they were working on breeding crops that were resistant to the Blight? I feel like that came up then.

Sanderson has Moridin’s servants experimenting to see which crops will grow in the blight in TGS.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I think that was lowercase b blight, as in a catchall term for plants rotting on the vine

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So since we focus on a specific timeline in the books does that make it more significant than the other parallel ones they see throughout? It’s always kinda alluded to that those are real worlds they visit.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sanderson has Moridin’s servants experimenting to see which crops will grow in the blight in TGS.

Why would Moridin of all people have his servants doing that, considering his main goal?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bloom posted:

Why would Moridin of all people have his servants doing that, considering his main goal?

He's not going to just tell his servants' servants to stop growing crops, that would look suspicious to the people who aren't in on his oblivion plan.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He's not going to just tell his servants' servants to stop growing crops, that would look suspicious to the people who aren't in on his oblivion plan.

I was thinking that he doesn't quite seem like the sort to micromanage the low level people, but then again he is the forsaken who's been running darkfriends for thousands of years so maybe my impression is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He’d put someone grossly unqualified and incompetent in charge of that department and slowly starve it of funding.