Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've had to shopvac the sewer inspection grate twice now to get all the lemons and gravel out of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pressure washer: is an electric ok, or am I setting myself up for failure with one. I'm looking at the Ryobi 2300 PSI version

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

Pressure washer: is an electric ok, or am I setting myself up for failure with one. I'm looking at the Ryobi 2300 PSI version

It depends entirely on what you're trying to accomplish and how quickly you need to accomplish it.

Electrics are very convenient, but low flow and not as powerful. This is great for washing cars and small amount of patio/deck, etc. For bigger jobs you're going to want something else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah my electric is fine for washing some stuff and getting grime off of my walkway/driveway. But it won't even really clean the tough spots on my siding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Yeah my electric is fine for washing some stuff and getting grime off of my walkway/driveway. But it won't even really clean the tough spots on my siding.

And to be fair, I'm talking about the kinds of electrics I'm assuming people are talking about here. We've got a 240v 30A one at the fire house that flows like 8 GPM at 6500 PSI and has a diesel water heater that will make steam. It's a beast. But it's also a like 8 or 9 grand and weighs enough that you need a fork truck to get it into the bed of a pickup.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

Assuming you're like cleaning your car and driveway and stuff the cheapo hazard fraught one is fine. Mine has worked dozens of times.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

And to be fair, I'm talking about the kinds of electrics I'm assuming people are talking about here. We've got a 240v 30A one at the fire house that flows like 8 GPM at 6500 PSI and has a diesel water heater that will make steam. It's a beast. But it's also a like 8 or 9 grand and weighs enough that you need a fork truck to get it into the bed of a pickup.

Yeah I'm assuming we're talking about, like, Amazon deal of the day $150 Sunjoe pressure washers here.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had the HF electric pressure washer and hated it, for some reason I had to keep turning it off to purge the line again and it would work for about 20 seconds until it happened again. Never had that issue with the big gas one I was used to. This was over 5 years ago so what they have now is probably better but don't expect to get dried paint off of concrete with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does anyone have advice for finding/hiring contractors?

I have a basement I would like to get an entrance cut into, at grade with a sunken patio. There is a wide window already above the concrete foundation so there is support existing in the structure so I don’t think it would be too complex. Basically just turn the 5’x2’ or so window above the foundation into a french door. Definitely not something I would take on myself but doesn’t seem too large of a project.

Following that there will be access to the basement from the outside ( due to some lovely additions by previous owners the old door got closed off) and I can then get some interior drainage done in the lower part of the basement that leaks so I don’t have to shop vac it out every large rainfall.

Anyway any tips on finding someone who could do it? I have asked around and no one I know has anyone to recommend. I’m in Canada if that matters.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpeedFreek posted:

I had the HF electric pressure washer and hated it, for some reason I had to keep turning it off to purge the line again and it would work for about 20 seconds until it happened again. Never had that issue with the big gas one I was used to. This was over 5 years ago so what they have now is probably better but don't expect to get dried paint off of concrete with it.

Mine has worked generally fine, including blasting paint off concrete. It is harbor freight roulette though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

This is the pressure washer I'm looking at: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-300-PSI-1-2-GPM-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY142300/300405751

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Have you considered https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-garden/outdoor-power-tools/1750-psi-13-gpm-corded-electric-pressure-washer-63254.html ? You can get it for like $65 on sale + coupon if lucky, or $75 most days.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Omne posted:

The UK has 240V everywhere so I don't know if this is an apples to apples comparison, but I have a Karcher K4 which is 1900PSI and does just fine for really tough stuff. I've used it to strip a couple mm off hardwood.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Those cheap units which are everywhere and look near identical are pretty crap to use. Short hoses, short cords, laughably unstable so they constantly fall over and tangle up, the motors have a habit of either not cutting on when the trigger is pressed or cutting off in the middle of spraying, and of course poor power unless you use a near useless 0 degree nozzle or get within inches of whatever you're spraying with a 15 degree nozzle.

Sure get the HF if you really want the cheapest possible solution but I don't regret buying a beefier $300 Greenworks unit with a brushless motor that stays on 100% of the time and is built more like that Ryobi and gas units are.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just gonna say, the one that does all the things for me is this:

https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-G3050OHC-Pressure-Washer/p13009.html

(first result) and of course it's no longer available. 3000 pissi Karcher woth a pre-emissions Honda GX series on it. There have to be reasonable replacements for this now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We also have a Karcher, maybe this one, with all the attachments.
https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-K2ERGO-Pressure-Washer/p65005.html

It's quite adequate for homeownership. I recently used the deck brush attachment (not shown on that site) to scrub the exterior of my husband's prefab office (to prepare for my new sign!) You can see exactly how far my vertical reach goes. I am 5'4".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm trying to make a one-lane road through my 5 acres of property. What's and inexpensive material to use if I'm never going to pay it. I'd be spreading it out with my tractor. I'm thinking something like road base?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I went for the K4 "full control" which is a middle ground between "one pressure setting" and "literally the wand bluetooth connects to the base unit and fails all the time".

daslog posted:

I'm trying to make a one-lane road through my 5 acres of property. What's and inexpensive material to use if I'm never going to pay it. I'd be spreading it out with my tractor. I'm thinking something like road base?

Usually it's gravel, no? Get in a dump truck and they just pour it out the back as they drive.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

daslog posted:

Are you referring to traffic bond? Throw down some bigger stone before putting down any TB. The soil will suck up anything too small, with my clay soil some spots will suck up anything you put down if you didn't use a large enough base stone. A good truck driver should be able to get a lot of the spreading done when they dump it and it should just require finishing work. Consider renting a skidloader too if you don't have access to one, the tractor takes (me at least) twice as long to spread it out nicely, the first time I redid my driveway I used the backblade on the tractor and by the second time I borrowed a skidloader.

There are decent electric pressure washers out there but I wouldn't waste my money on a HF one again. It sounds like that Ryobi mentioned earlier is one of the better ones and not killing your arm to pull start a big gas one sounds nice.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This is pretty narrow so and I don't think a truck will be able to get down there. So I'll be moving the pile from the top of the hill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

If you have access to millings they pack down and work great. I'm talking milled up asphalt road stuff. It's often cheap or free as the contractors need to pay to have it hauled off and disposed. They're usually happy for you to come get it.

I used a bunch of it to level off/make a road past my barn.

Otherwise you're probably looking at using 3/4" clean or 2A modified. I'd go with modified if you can get it. It's basically 3/4 some 1/2 or smaller and screenings mixed together. It will lock together and make a nice surface. If you can roll it it will turn out with a great surface finish. Give it a while to get rained/snowed down after that and it will really lock together and hold up well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY secret santa maybe?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Been pouring rain all day. No water in my basement. :unsmith:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I checked the code book and couldn't find anything specific on this situation: the valves under the kitchen sink leak and they're those little oval shaped handles that cost about $7. I hate that kind. Would it be stupid/not allowed to put half turn ball valves on them instead?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BonerGhost posted:

I checked the code book and couldn't find anything specific on this situation: the valves under the kitchen sink leak and they're those little oval shaped handles that cost about $7. I hate that kind. Would it be stupid/not allowed to put half turn ball valves on them instead?
They sell quarter turn ball valves specifically for sink connections, and it's absolute insanity that anyone still installs the lovely plastic ones you're referring to. It's like a 2 dollar difference in parts.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That is helpful thank you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

They sell quarter turn ball valves specifically for sink connections, and it's absolute insanity that anyone still installs the lovely plastic ones you're referring to. It's like a 2 dollar difference in parts.

This is the true way. Go forth and replace with something that has a chance of working a year from now BonerGhost. Also, set a reminder for like once a year to just shut them off and back on again. It's amazing how much longer you can get of out things (and you never know when you need those until you really need them) by just making sure they are exercised.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can anyone recommend a handheld showerhead? I'm not looking for a combo or anything with a weird fancy docking system. I just want a plain handheld with a handful of settings, a regular dock, and plenty of psi. 2.5 gpm is fine, I'm not in an area where I have to think about drought.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Can anyone recommend a handheld showerhead? I'm not looking for a combo or anything with a weird fancy docking system. I just want a plain handheld with a handful of settings, a regular dock, and plenty of psi. 2.5 gpm is fine, I'm not in an area where I have to think about drought.

I wouldn't trust me either but I've had this cheap thing in my master bath for over a year and it's been great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZV9CLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aHVsFbB0MXTVB

We have one of the more expensive Delta ones (ours is this style but I believe 2.4 GPM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G2HEJKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4JVsFb8EAE19W we moved to the other bathroom and it sucks, especially for the price. The only flow limiter I could ever find on it is the screen inside, and removing it didn't do anything for the water pressure. This kind with the halo around the main showerhead needs a ton of water going through it to feel like anything more than a light drizzle.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah I absolutely don't want the halo/combo kind, it's just another thing to get hosed up.

When I moved in, I got a handheld (probably in the $60ish range) that I've been happy with. But it's been 8 years and I think there's just too much internal buildup. I would buy it again if I had a clue what model it was!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah I absolutely don't want the halo/combo kind, it's just another thing to get hosed up.

When I moved in, I got a handheld (probably in the $60ish range) that I've been happy with. But it's been 8 years and I think there's just too much internal buildup. I would buy it again if I had a clue what model it was!

I have an ANA Bath combo that I've been pretty happy with (though I generally only use one head at a time)—it was one of the better reviewed options for less than $$$$ when I bought this place. They have a number of handheld only units that appear to be very similar to the handheld portion of my combo so I assume they're decent—the unit I got came with flow limiters in both heads but they also had very simple instructions for removing it.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 30, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Home spergers: its time for me to power wash and re-finish my porch. Is it worth dealing with oil based stain/sealer, or is the water based almost as good? I need to do the high traffic decking floor, and also the exterior walls. I'm thinking I need tinted for the decking, but just a seal for the exterior, which is rough wood so I would love to be able to spray it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wallet posted:

I have an ANA Bath combo that I've been pretty happy with (though I generally only use one head at a time)—it was one of the better reviewed options for less than $$$$ when I bought this place. They have a number of handheld only units that appear to be very similar to the handheld portion of my combo so I assume they're decent—the unit I got came with flow limiters in both heads but they also had very simple instructions for removing it.

I've had one cheaper but real similar to that ANA one for several years and it's been good.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Good morning, who would like to taste the forbidden coffee

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That seems bad. Is it poop?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
‘Sewage’ more or less. Not the best thing to find on a Sunday morning!

Plumber came out and ran an auger 60ft out through the drain, seems to have fixed it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Our electrical service line from house to pole (our responsibility, the utility will not trim trees to protect this line) goes through our neighbor's yard, under their trees. Several of the branches look not great, but I'm no arborist.

These people are also letting poison oak grow up their lovely chainlink fence so I have a feeling they're not just going to get their trees trimmed if I ask.

Do we just wait for the trees to take down our line and tell them to pay the reconnect fee if it happens? How does this work?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

First off ask them nicely, if they haven't got it done or refuse, you can either deal with the future ball ache that is their tree loving you up for a couple of months (worst case guess) or offer to do it/pay for it yourself.

E: bear in mind I know nothing of the legality of this situation, there may be laws that help you out in your country.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BonerGhost posted:

That seems bad. Is it poop?

If your poo poo looks like that you're bleeding internally and/or have colon cancer. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BonerGhost posted:

Our electrical service line from house to pole (our responsibility, the utility will not trim trees to protect this line) goes through our neighbor's yard, under their trees. Several of the branches look not great, but I'm no arborist.

These people are also letting poison oak grow up their lovely chainlink fence so I have a feeling they're not just going to get their trees trimmed if I ask.

Do we just wait for the trees to take down our line and tell them to pay the reconnect fee if it happens? How does this work?
Pull up your neighbors plat and see if you have a powerline easement. If you do--that powerline easement will allow you to trim back the trees/ensure the power line will not get overgrown. If you don't have a powerline easement--call the power company and ask why you don't and tell them you need to get the line trimmed.