Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
hahaha I agree, those are great stories! :D

Also, I'll definitely have to get some photos, if/when the adoption eventuates. I just hope Tazo doesn't mind sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

greyhound puppy owner posts videos ASAP also

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lol Sparty is the same way about not leaving anybody behind, though he's ok going on walks with just one of us.

But if both of us go out each walking one of the dogs, he absolutely will not let the other get out of sight even if we can outpace them. He puts on his worried face and keeps looking behind, and eventually slows and stops until they catch up.

I think I told about the time we went to the dog park. My spouse took cookie for a run on the trail while I took sparty into the park, and he just kind of hung out next to me and acted sad. Occasionally he'd walk a little bit but always towards the exit.

It was only when my spouse and cookie showed up that the switch flipped and then he started running his fool head off like normal :3:

And then five minutes later kept trying to walk us to the exit because he was done now thankyewverymuch lesgohome :cripes:

actionjackson posted:

How did I not think about freezing a whole banana until now

Post vids

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You may just have to click the link I’m feeling technically lazy.

That’s my poodle also!

https://imgur.com/gallery/L6xuA7W

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Veskit posted:

You may just have to click the link I’m feeling technically lazy.

That’s my poodle also!

https://imgur.com/gallery/L6xuA7W

Aww :3:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

So sorry to hear about Bonnie she was a very good girl. Keep the pics and stories coming.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Even as puppies they sleep every which way and all around

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve had this drawing by my gf hung up by my desk for ages now, it was just a quick charcoal sketch but I love how much of her sleepiness it captures.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's a great sleepy face

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Your GF has a really great way of capturing the essence of greyhounds.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

I’ve had this drawing by my gf hung up by my desk for ages now, it was just a quick charcoal sketch but I love how much of her sleepiness it captures.

beautiful picture of a beautiful dog. pets are the best and the worst

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My neighbor's dog Pepper is visiting

this dog is pretty funny and cool, he keeps raising his left upper lip for whatever reason so it looks like he's sneering at you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon Pepper has been starting to visit the dog parks and all I get is either how old is your dog/wippit or omg is that a greyhound puppy I’ve literally never seen one. It was all so normal getting her I didn’t realize how much I lucked out.

She’s growing too fast she’s already 16 pounds which means she doubled in size about a month. While she’s small she can get away with sleeping like a lunatic.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

omfg I'm dying

also he will look somewhat different than most greyhounds since he won't be doing any racing, so I would imagine there will be less muscle. I would expect him to be fully grown by one year old.

also the weird sleeping positions never stop

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 31, 2020

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

omfg I'm dying

also he will look somewhat different than most greyhounds since he won't be doing any racing, so I would imagine there will be less muscle. I would expect him to be fully grown by one year old.

also the weird sleeping positions never stop

My dog sleeps with this neck crooked on a couch arm. He is a weirdo.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 5, 2022

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Obsessively researching fence sitter here, wondering
a) how much do you walk your greyhound,
b) how often do you trim your greyhound's nails,
c) how often do you wash your greyhound's ears?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are you distinguishing a walk from talking her out to pee/poop? they are one in the same

there's no definitive answer for those questions. it depends on the dog. I take Abby out more often now than when she was younger. I clean her ears whenever they are too dirty, though the left one never gets dirty for some reason. I dremel her nails whenever they are long enough to touch the ground on hard surfaces.

but again every dog is different. depending on how they walk, some dogs nails will get "trimmed" themselves by constant friction with the ground - I never really have to trim her middle two nails on her back legs.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 2, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Welp, I was called by our adoption agency (GAP SA) and they agree that the hound I specified should be a great match with Tazo, so a meet-up should take place within the next week.

Also, regarding walks, it depends on the hound and the weather. I've taken Taz on many long walks (starting him off on short walks, since he originally didn't have the stamins for long ones) ranging from 1.5-5hrs long.
But most hounds (Taz included) are happy with only taking short walks every day or so, too. Mostly just to stretch their legs and do their business, as actionjackson said. (And as I said, it depends on the weather. If it's remotely warm, Taz would rather stay inside)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Ours needs to be walked once a day (he gets a bit squirrely in the evening if he hasn't been walked at that point) and the walks range from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. Some times he gets TWO walks a day, but that's pretty rare and once he gets walked once, he's pretty content to chill out for the rest of the day.

I get my dog's nails trimmed as often as possible, which works out to like once every 6 weeks, because I am a bad dog dad. I will say that his walks to help keep his nail length down, but they do need trims.

I don't really wash his ears though. He does like ear rubs, like a lot, and maybe that's why? Usually when he gets his nails trimmed they also wash his ears.

Now I'm nervous. :ohdear:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 5, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just look in his ears with a flashlight and see if they are dirty. Try buying the solution, dipping a cotton ball in it, put the cotton ball in the era and then closing the top of the ear over the opening and rub it back and forth. There's also disposable ear wipes that I use.

If you are getting them cleaned when he gets a nail trim that should be fine though.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Greyhound suffering: a story in three parts.

Bonus Gello snoozing pic

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That’s a mean old Sun, moving around like that :mad:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Greyhound suffering: a story in three parts.

Bonus Gello snoozing pic

Reported for abuse :mad:

VagueRant posted:

Sparty is fine just being let out in our very small fenced yard, if he hasn't been walked he'll occasionally get the zoomies. But if you indicate you're going on a walk he gets suuuper excited. He's unusual in that he can go on multi-mile runs just fine, but he runs "hot" and has much less stamina in summer compared to winter.

If you want a big dog that can live in an apartment it's hard to beat greyhounds though. They'll adapt to your level of exercise pretty well, just gotta watch that they don't get overweight.

We trim his nails infrequently with a dremel. We should probably do it more often but he wears a decent amount down with running.

Ear cleaning we've never bothered with. He loves ear rubs though and occasionally I'll stick a finger in there to rub if he seems itchy. He makes really funny grumbles of pleasure when you do that

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would definitely clean ears or at least ask your vet, they can get ear infections that way

I've never seen an overweight greyhound, or maybe that was a joke

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I would definitely clean ears or at least ask your vet, they can get ear infections that way

I've never seen an overweight greyhound, or maybe that was a joke
We check Sparty's ears periodically and they never look dirty or inflamed, and the vet has never said anything so I think we're ok :shrug:

They can definitely get overweight they just won't look it, but it wears extremely hard on their joints. They can dislocate toes, elbows, and hips a lot more easily if they're significantly above (like, +15-20%) race weight

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

We check Sparty's ears periodically and they never look dirty or inflamed, and the vet has never said anything so I think we're ok :shrug:

They can definitely get overweight they just won't look it, but it wears extremely hard on their joints. They can dislocate toes, elbows, and hips a lot more easily if they're significantly above (like, +15-20%) race weight

yeah if they're always clean you don't need to

where did you get that info about race weight? greyhound race at a pretty drat low weight. I know they can often go up 10-15 pounds at least. I always went off having the ribs just partially visible. Abby maxed out in the 70s, but she definitely raced below 60.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Ear cleaning we've never bothered with. He loves ear rubs though and occasionally I'll stick a finger in there to rub if he seems itchy. He makes really funny grumbles of pleasure when you do that

My dog does the same thing when I rub his ears. Like mash 'em against his head and rub 'em. I'm glad my dog isn't the only dog that makes that weird sound.

:3:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 5, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

yeah if they're always clean you don't need to

where did you get that info about race weight? greyhound race at a pretty drat low weight. I know they can often go up 10-15 pounds at least. I always went off having the ribs just partially visible. Abby maxed out in the 70s, but she definitely raced below 60.

It's from us taking him to lure coursing. Some dogs get injured when they've been pets for a while and they put too much stress and weight on their joints, at least according to one of the regulars there. Toes getting dislocated seemed the most common injury.

A lot of agencies' adoption contracts don't let you take them running or coursing so it's moot for most people, but it's something to be cautious of if they can get up to speed like at a dog park. I'd definitely err on the side of letting them keeping them well fed over being too lean though.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering, but to those who buy non-processed-meat-rolls (I don't know, whatever you want to call them) and instead get say, chicken or kangaroo meat, how do you store it - especially if you freeze it for a while, (due to bulk-buying) before keeping it in the fridge? Since whenever I've done it, water/melted ice gets all over the place when I get it out, and since the meat's in a bag, that's not great.

I'm thinking of just getting a container for it all, but I just thought I'd check first, in case there's a better idea. Especially as I'll be meeting my potential second grey in a couple of days, so I think it's likely that I'll be buying up on meat a lot more, with double the pups to feed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

It's from us taking him to lure coursing. Some dogs get injured when they've been pets for a while and they put too much stress and weight on their joints, at least according to one of the regulars there. Toes getting dislocated seemed the most common injury.

A lot of agencies' adoption contracts don't let you take them running or coursing so it's moot for most people, but it's something to be cautious of if they can get up to speed like at a dog park. I'd definitely err on the side of letting them keeping them well fed over being too lean though.

oh if you're talking about having them do coursing sure, our group doesn't allow us to do that so it never came up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Reached out to my local adoption group since I hadn’t heard anything back on my application in a month. There’s a chance there will be some dogs available at the end of the year when the Florida tracks close for good. The national parent group is planning on importing Irish dogs once all of the Florida dogs have been placed.

Looks like it will be quite a while before I get my very own skeleton goblin

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Appreciate the answers to my questions. I also reached out to my local greyhound trust, but I specified that I had a preference for a smaller greyhound on account of my living in a flat/apartment, and was told they only had "big bouncy boys", and they'd be in touch when they got more dogs in.

I'm not after a whippet or anything, so am wondering how much size difference there is between greyhounds, and if I should take a look at these big bouncy boys. (Even though the word "bouncy" makes me equally nervous because I like a chilled out dog!)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

Appreciate the answers to my questions. I also reached out to my local greyhound trust, but I specified that I had a preference for a smaller greyhound on account of my living in a flat/apartment, and was told they only had "big bouncy boys", and they'd be in touch when they got more dogs in.

I'm not after a whippet or anything, so am wondering how much size difference there is between greyhounds, and if I should take a look at these big bouncy boys. (Even though the word "bouncy" makes me equally nervous because I like a chilled out dog!)

Sparty is on the large side at 77 lbs and is unusually energetic compared to most greyhounds I've seen, but he'd still be just fine in an apartment. You might have to walk more frequently if you don't have a fenced in yard but it's usually pretty fun, and sparty at least is excellent on lead and doesn't need much to calm down.

The biggest annoyance is that he gets extremely excited about food and will loudly tell you that he has not been fed in several years and that this is dog abuse. Most of the time he's just chilling on the sofa or the chair or the bed

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty is on the large side at 77 lbs and is unusually energetic compared to most greyhounds I've seen, but he'd still be just fine in an apartment. You might have to walk more frequently if you don't have a fenced in yard but it's usually pretty fun, and sparty at least is excellent on lead and doesn't need much to calm down.

Yeah, this is the same for Tazo. He's got the stamina to go out walking for five hours if you want to, but I feel even he'd be fine living in an apartment. He's happy to just snooze on the couch, whenever he's not being fed or going for a walk

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We walked on the beach today with a puppy that was fostered along with Boudicca. He's outgrown her and is going to be a big boy.

Gello took playtime very seriously

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Imagine someone loved you as much as sighthounds love the beach

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
ZOOOM

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Imagine someone loved you as much as sighthounds love the beach

No human is capable of so much love.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

radiation cow are you in South Africa?

was looking at some photo article in the nyt comparing a very wealthy and very poor neighborhood in Chicago and this was halfway down lol. looks exactly like one of Abby's litter mates who sadly died much too young due to cancer. that dog wore a lot of pink too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

actionjackson posted:

radiation cow are you in South Africa?

was looking at some photo article in the nyt comparing a very wealthy and very poor neighborhood in Chicago and this was halfway down lol. looks exactly like one of Abby's litter mates who sadly died much too young due to cancer. that dog wore a lot of pink too

That photo looks like the dog has seen a nearby delicious unfinished snack, just before the owner has also seen the snack