Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fat_Cow posted:

Can we have a crossover with Chainsaw Man?
Denji showed up in a previous chapter. I'd love to see Chainsaw Man's cast rendered by Horikoshi; honestly I'd like to see him do an art exchange with most of the good series in Jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi's art style gets murdered by scanlators anyway, so the official release is still a treat to me.

Particularly this arc with all the fireblasts, airblasts, explosions and dust clouds. Every 2nd panel is a grey smear on the scans

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you don't like people talking about speedscans just don't check on the thread til Sunday. Then you have more posts to read at once!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I do get a bit annoyed when speedscan talk overshadows a new Vigilantes chapter. And then people have to label which spoilers they're talking about, which can make the thread confusing to read.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Speedscan chat:
So they're not gonna be able to mobilize Recovery Girl here I figure. OUCH.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rhonne posted:

I do get a bit annoyed when speedscan talk overshadows a new Vigilantes chapter. And then people have to label which spoilers they're talking about, which can make the thread confusing to read.

Yeah, it would be cool if people properly tagged their spoilers as for which series the spoiler pertains to.

As far as scanlation discussion goes, I made it a rule in the One Piece thread that until the official english translation comes out, that all discussion of spoilers and fan translations should be spoiler tagged. People are pretty good about doing that in this thread anyways, but is that something the regular readers of this thread would like codified as a thread rule?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Sub Harrison posted:

Particularly this arc with all the fireblasts, airblasts, explosions and dust clouds. Every 2nd panel is a grey smear on the scans

This isn't just a speedscan thing, the composition and choreography in fight scenes in this series is hands down the worst part of it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ryaomon posted:

This isn't just a speedscan thing, the composition and choreography in fight scenes in this series is hands down the worst part of it.

That reminds me, I've been slacking off on posting the colorized versions. I'm not normally a fan of color in manga but here (and also in Jojo 3-6) they make the fights vastly more enjoyable to read.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Julias posted:

Yeah, it would be cool if people properly tagged their spoilers as for which series the spoiler pertains to.

As far as scanlation discussion goes, I made it a rule in the One Piece thread that until the official english translation comes out, that all discussion of spoilers and fan translations should be spoiler tagged. People are pretty good about doing that in this thread anyways, but is that something the regular readers of this thread would like codified as a thread rule?

Yeah it's a good rule.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Horikoshi is really good at drawing amazing still shots and bunny butt, everything else after that is a crapshoot

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s a good thing I read MHA for good dumb gags and cool still shots then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

That reminds me, I've been slacking off on posting the colorized versions. I'm not normally a fan of color in manga but here (and also in Jojo 3-6) they make the fights vastly more enjoyable to read.

The last color version I posted was 275, I think.

276. You Cheated...!
277. Who...?
278. Disaster Walker
279. League of Villains vs. UA Students
280. Red Riot

281 is being worked on, should be finished around the time the new chapter comes out.

edit: had a wrong title

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 29, 2020

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ryaomon posted:

ye mha's fight scenes really aren't that good. they're jsut too busy for the most part, the panel composition doesn't flow like one piece or something does

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Yeah, let's just make it official.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

This likely won’t happen unless they contrive a reason for everyone else to go with him.

nah. let's be real, if deku went to america with bakugo and todoroki and you only occasionally saw the other class members, how much would the series change?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tbp posted:

ye mha's fight scenes really aren't that good. they're jsut too busy for the most part, the panel composition doesn't flow like one piece or something does
I wouldn't call 99% of the paneling in One Piece from the last several years good tbh

If you want something actually good to compare it to- try Jujutsu Kaisen, which has a rougher art style while still being incredibly readable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fabricated posted:

I wouldn't call 99% of the paneling in One Piece from the last several years good tbh

If you want something actually good to compare it to- try Jujutsu Kaisen, which has a rougher art style while still being incredibly readable.

One Piece rules

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

One Piece rules
now, ehhhhhh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's about as good as it's ever been

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

One Piece has been great the last couple arcs. Don't agree at all there's been a quality decline.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

It's about as good as it's ever been

Arist is right. It's as good as its ever been, kind of bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

even as a joke that's a nonsense opinion lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

even as a joke that's a nonsense opinion lmao

It's a story with a massive cast that's mostly boring and fails to utilize it's main characters in fun ways most arcs, and everything since like...Thriller Bark except Big Mamma has such nothing antagonists that it makes the fact that the plot is spinning its wheels so much with the time skip (The double grand line where you need a Super Super Compass to get Through where only the Extra Good of The Super Good Pirates make it) grind so much harder.

Maybe reading it chapter by chapter over the last Decade since the time skip improved it but just catching up like i did from Enies Lobby recently makes most of it just feel like a boring waste of time. Like for as little interesting happens Punk Hazard and Dressrosa did not need to be 150 chapters. Whole Cake was fun (in spots) and the new stuff is shaping up to maybe be good, but the last decade of that comic has been a slog even reading it all at once.

That plus Haki is the most pointless and stupid super power codification I've ever seen in a shonen battle anime.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a story with a massive cast that's mostly boring and fails to utilize it's main characters in fun ways most arcs

*looks at what thread I’m posting in*

Also if horikoshi wrote one piece nami and robin would both be 15 pre time skip

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

I mean Horikoshi also being bad at it doesn't make Oda's writing of his cast good.

Hori at least writes fun antagonists each arc. Between Impel down and Whole cake you had some real snoozers compared to how fun the older villains were.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Impel down doesn’t count cause half the allies were these older villains you’re talking about 🤨

Plus hori woulda done something like dedicated dressrosa on a love story with sugar (kinda like lover lover)

Edif: this is a great manga don’t get me wrong, there just isn’t much going on beyond the main plotline. the gentle arc and class battle arc could have been sliced out and started the endeavour arc with deku getting black whip with no change to anything. You could argue the one piece isn’t even a top 3 mystery or plotline theres that much

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 29, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Professorjuggalo posted:

Impel down doesn’t count cause half the allies were these older villains you’re talking about 🤨

Yes that was kind of the point since I'm talking about how all the villains introduced between there where we last spent significant time with the old fun villains and Big Mama are kind of duds.

And given how bad Dressrose shits its pants throughout the back half literally anything else would have been an improvement so yeah turn it into a weird love story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

What?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

That second half seems a bit unfair. Momo's 15 since MHA's a manga about high schoolers. When Horikoshi gets horniest, it's usually around Mt. Lady (22 at first appearance) or more recently Mirko (26).

As for movement drawing, I'd say Fujimoto's got a good eye for it in the current jump set. Art's not the prettiest, but the composition is excellent.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Before people barrel in to call me a creep go read early chapters like the theme park arc

Edit: stuff like this is littered throughout the early manga. In one piece is aggravating but here it’s really creepy(and I barely had to look).

Edit edit: thankfully the manga ignores 95% of the cast to focus on baku/todo/deku so it’s possible to ignore all this poo poo but it makes re-reading up to the stain arc pretty hard

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 29, 2020

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

There is all the Mineta stuff. Who is also a child but still.

Like Mountain Lady entered a room backwards and Mirko just wore a singlet style costume. I don't recall much outright creeping from Horikoshi. None of the groping that happened with the kids early on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

firrup posted:

I don't recall much outright creeping from Horikoshi.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Sorry, I meant in regards to Mountain Lady and Mirko. He had plenty with the kids.

Mountain Lady and Mirko were mainly glamour shots from later covers and junk.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

Before people barrel in to call me a creep go read early chapters like the theme park arc

Okay but why does that mean he'd make Nami and Robin 15

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

Okay but why does that mean he'd make Nami and Robin 15

It was a mean joke that I shouldn’t have said, sorry

And for all my bitching about woman in this manga mirko turned out to be one of the strongest and best characters in the entire run (and functionally better than every one piece female character that isn’t big mom, which is damning for a manga with that many moving parts)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The best way to get away with spoiler crimes is to become the spoiler police.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For someone who designs so many awesome female characters, Horikoshi kind of treats them like poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PMush Perfect posted:

For someone who designs so many awesome female characters, Horikoshi kind of treats them like poo poo.

Mirko is the first one I feel like he actually cared about, and she still lost a limb.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lots of people are losing body parts right now, she got off easy compared to some of her coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hatsume is going to have a lot of work cyborging up all the victims.

And then obviously Miriko is going to retire from front line work to become a UA combat trainer while she recovers and regains her full power.