Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Klyith posted:

Techpowerup reviewed it & said it was fine, they have real psu testing equipment.

750 is well more than watts than you need, the nvidia "OMG 12-pin power!" has been answered, and it's nothing more than a physical space issue. The cards will come with an adapter for 2x 8-pin and won't need monster power supplies.

So if you were looking at that one because it's $10 less than other gold 750s, the 650W seasonic is in stock for $100 and will be totally fine for 30xx cards.

Sweet, thanks! I might stick with the Super Flower Leadex III and just grab the 650w version, mostly because it's fully modular, and also because: there are Too Many PSU variations and it's impossible for me to keep track of all them and compare against reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This is what Skorptek's advice was for Australia $2300 budget. It also includes a wifi card, and I'm getting them to build it. Does this sound ok? Is has a 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD I want. The video card is a bit high, but from some quick research will allow me to play Flight Simulator 2020 at medium level ok. Umart.com.au indicates the cost is pretty much what I would get for ordering the parts myself and putting it together myself, which I do not want to do.

My current monitor I will replace once I get this. It's an ancient 22" I want to replace anyway.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($252.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H470M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Austin Computers)
Memory: Klevv BOLT 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($425.20 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($499.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.00 @ Computer Alliance)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold S 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ Umart)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32/64-bit
Total: $1603.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-28 21:00 AEST+1000

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 28, 2020

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice on building my new PC.

I'm probably overdue for posting pictures, so here they are.

My only gripe is that the PSU is better facing down with this case, which is unfortunate since it's a PSU with a cool RGB fan. I'm... not entirely sure how I ended up with so many RGB parts (mobo, fans, GPU, PSU), since I was buying cheap.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Do you have any dust filtration on the side and bottom intakes?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Hi guys, looking for advice on a new build.

What country are you in? The Netherlands
What are you using the system for? It'll be a gaming PC. The monitor, mouse and keyboard are all also going to be new buys. I need wi-fi on board to begin with as I won't be able to run ethernet up to the room it's going to be in for the foreseeable future.
What's your budget? Since the OP says any gains over 1500 dollars are marginal I'll go with that but I'm willing to go higher. That's excluding accessories. No idea what a good monitor, gaming mouse and keyboard would run me. Including everything the top end of the budget is 3000 dollars (2500 euros).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Basically I'd like as good as I can get it on a single monitor set up.

Thanks in advance for your help. Really appreciate it!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How do we feel about getting an open box mobo from micro center instead of new, for a $20 savings?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Elliptical Dick posted:

Hi guys, looking for advice on a new build.

What country are you in? The Netherlands
What are you using the system for? It'll be a gaming PC. The monitor, mouse and keyboard are all also going to be new buys. I need wi-fi on board to begin with as I won't be able to run ethernet up to the room it's going to be in for the foreseeable future.
What's your budget? Since the OP says any gains over 1500 dollars are marginal I'll go with that but I'm willing to go higher. That's excluding accessories. No idea what a good monitor, gaming mouse and keyboard would run me. Including everything the top end of the budget is 3000 dollars (2500 euros).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Basically I'd like as good as I can get it on a single monitor set up.

Thanks in advance for your help. Really appreciate it!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€173.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler (€39.90 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€62.85 @ Megekko)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€119.00 @ Azerty)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (€514.90 @ Azerty)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (€60.90 @ Megekko)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.00 @ Megekko)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan (€19.40 @ Megekko)
Total: €1108.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-28 17:54 CEST+0200

HOWEVER, you may want to wait on the RTX 3000 series to be released first. Getting an RTX 3070 might cost a bit more but get you way higher performance than a 2070 Super.

e: For 120 Euro you can move up to the 3700X which is 8 core/16 thread instead of 6 core/12 thread. That *probably* won't matter in games that much anytime soon, but the next-gen consoles basically have slower versions of the 3700X in them if you have strong feelings about keeping up in cores/threads with them.

You can drop the aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't mind fan noise, the stock cooler is functional but loud.

That case doesn't NEED two front fans added, but it cools great if you do. You could also look at the Meshify C.

If you want a bigger/better/quieter cooler the Noctua NH-U14S rules. But it's definitely not NECESSARY even on a 3700X.

You can also move up to 3600 CL16 RAM if you want a (very small) performance boost.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 28, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jinnigan posted:

How do we feel about getting an open box mobo from micro center instead of new, for a $20 savings?

Worst case you return it. Make sure it has the io plate if thats a deal breaker for you. My GPU was open box and its never had a hitch. You may or may not need to ask to get the mobo+cpu discount.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Worst case you return it. Make sure it has the io plate if thats a deal breaker for you. My GPU was open box and its never had a hitch. You may or may not need to ask to get the mobo+cpu discount.

Thanks for that advice, I'll make sure to look for the io plate. I did ask ahead of time if it's still eligible for the cpu+mobo discount and they said you can't double dip. Otherwise it'd be a $40 savings which would be a no-brainer for me.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Jinnigan posted:

I’ve had pretty good luck with open box stuff - I got open box RAM and one of the sticks was no good, so I brought it back and they just swapped the pair for a new one. If it’s nearby and you can do the returns in person seems pretty low risk to me!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

sean10mm posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€173.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler (€39.90 @ Megekko)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€62.85 @ Megekko)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€119.00 @ Azerty)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (€514.90 @ Azerty)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (€60.90 @ Megekko)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.00 @ Megekko)
Total: €1108.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-28 17:54 CEST+0200

HOWEVER, you may want to wait on the RTX 3000 series to be released first. Getting an RTX 3070 might cost a bit more but get you way higher performance than a 2070 Super.

e: For 120 Euro you can move up to the 3700X which is 8 core/16 thread instead of 6 core/12 thread. That *probably* won't matter in games that much anytime soon, but the next-gen consoles basically have slower versions of the 3700X in them if you have strong feelings about keeping up in cores/threads with them.

You can drop the aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't mind fan noise, the stock cooler is functional but loud.

That case doesn't NEED two front fans added, but it cools great if you do. You could also look at the Meshify C.

If you want a bigger/better/quieter cooler the Noctua NH-U14S rules. But it's definitely not NECESSARY even on a 3700X.

You can also move up to 3600 CL16 RAM if you want a (very small) performance boost.

Wow, thanks. That was quick! I looked up the RTX 3000 series and I might wait a few weeks for that before I put the whole thing together.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've bought some open-box stuff in my time, because I am a massive cheapskate. My experience has been that various accessory bits & parts are not infrequently missing, so the more important those are / how much you care about them the more you should avoid buying open box.

So for the average mobo that's the io shield and some cheap sata cables. Not having an io shield is annoying, but not vital. If you're building in a meshify it will probably have positive pressure, so you won't even have the extra dust bunnies that missing io shields can produce.

OTOH I once bought an open box heatsink and that was kinda a mistake. It didn't have all the mounting hardware, and did have some mystery hardware I assume came from a totally different heatsink. It particular the mount used 4 plastic tubes for standoffs and there were only 3. I fashioned a replacement from a bic pen.

Kikuchiyo posted:

If it’s nearby and you can do the returns in person seems pretty low risk to me!
Yeah, easy returns with a short trip makes it much more attractive.

Elliptical Dick posted:

Wow, thanks. That was quick! I looked up the RTX 3000 series and I might wait a few weeks for that before I put the whole thing together.

Gonna be more than a few weeks unfortunately.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Elliptical Dick posted:

Here's Sean's build with a few adjustments, which is very similar to what I'll be going for in a couple months.

He didn't include a motherboard, I've gone for a 550 chipset which guarantees a bit of future compatibility, micro ATX size because those come with on-board WiFi and it sounds like you have no need for many extra expansion slots. There's space for an additional NVMe drive for future storage expansion if needed. You could also go for a full-size ATX board and buy a separate WiFi card.

I've bumped it up to the 3700x sean mentioned because I think it makes sense to have a processor on parity with the next generation of consoles for when increased cores/threads are being fully taken advantage of. I've also changed the ram to a slightly faster module which plays nicely with the processor apparently.

I think you should absolutely wait for the 3070, it will be a big performance boost over if you bought now.

There's dedicated monitor and accessory threads in the forum but for single monitor gaming the sweet spot now is 1440p 27", which you can expect to pay €300-€500 for. Along with accessories your entire build should run you ~€2250.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The mobo missing was a copy paste goof lol

Even the comparatively cheap MSI B550 pro vdh wifi actually tests well even with a 3900x under load, seemingly on par with the old B450 Tomahawk MAX recommendation. It's harder to find a bad B550 than B450.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Klyith posted:

Gonna be more than a few weeks unfortunately.

Guess I misread the article. What kind of time frame are we looking at?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Elliptical Dick posted:

Guess I misread the article. What kind of time frame are we looking at?

Announcements on Tuesday so we shall hopefully get timeframes and prices from then.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Klyith posted:

My experience has been that various accessory bits & parts are not infrequently missing, so the more important those are / how much you care about them the more you should avoid buying open box.
Open box products from Komplett (Norway) have a policy that all accessories that are needed to make the product work will be in the box, so all mounting hardware would be included, but not necessarily stickers and swag.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Announcements on Tuesday so we shall hopefully get timeframes and prices from then.

The ~rumor~ is the 3090/3080 launch mid-September, 3070 not too long after that, and then eventually the 3060.

Allegedly a 3070 is almost at 2080Ti performance for $599, while the 3060 is basically a 2070 Super for $399, but again: this is all rumors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

With AMD making the graphics cards for the PS5 and the new Xbox I wonder if waiting for AMD cards is the way to go

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

With AMD making the graphics cards for the PS5 and the new Xbox I wonder if waiting for AMD cards is the way to go
At least in the case of the XBOX (I'm not familiar with the PS5), the "graphics card" is part of a custom silicon die with both CPU and GPU cores on it, so integrated graphics basically. Who knows how relevant those developments will be to their discrete graphics cards.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, we have no evidence that those machines even live up to the claimed performance, OTOH AMD has been lagging behind nvidia when it comes to higher end PC video cards for a long-rear end time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had some vague idea that games would be "optimized" for AMD graphics, at least games developed for the consoles first, but I have no idea how anything works so

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I had some vague idea that games would be "optimized" for AMD graphics, at least games developed for the consoles first, but I have no idea how anything works so

As an example, the PS4 uses AMD graphics too, and Death Stranding runs better on nVidia than AMD anyway at high settings, in part because nvidia has DLSS 2.0 and AMD doesn't.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I had a 7870, which was very close to the same GPU as the xbone & PS4 but faster clocked and a few more cores. I kept using that thing for a long time, way longer than the usual mid-range GPU. Even after it had been far surpassed by newer cards, it always seemed to maintain some acceptable performance with strategic choices of quality settings that still looked pretty good. Games targeting that same hardware must have helped it a lot.

So it's possible that a RDNA2 card could be "the way" to go, for a specific type of way: if you want to stretch your money out and are fine with using an old card for extra years. If you are a frequent upgrader who wants "the best", I don't think the console carryover will matter. By the time the consoles are established and devs get really good at fine-tuning to the hardware, you'll be buying something new.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How quickly do third-party GPUs (MSI, Gigabyte, etc) hit the shelves after nVidia's reference cards? Mostly thinking about having, like, 'proper' cooling solutions on the cards here instead of blower models, etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jinnigan posted:

How quickly do third-party GPUs (MSI, Gigabyte, etc) hit the shelves after nVidia's reference cards? Mostly thinking about having, like, 'proper' cooling solutions on the cards here instead of blower models, etc.

Nvidia's recent Founder's Edition stuff has all had good non-blower coolers and the pics of supposed 3000 cards have been the same. (edit: actually the 3090's through-card fan & sink is a new innovation in GPU heatsinks that's probably better than anything else before.) The catch is the extra $100 that nvidia charges.

With the 2000s it was like 2-4 weeks iirc?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Vir posted:

Do you have any dust filtration on the side and bottom intakes?

The bottom has a magnetized filter, and the side is using the metal mesh of my computer desk "leg" as a budget filter.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mu Zeta posted:

Unlikely. AMD's RT implementation is confirmed to be the same method that Nvidia uses. Nvidia is the betting favorite atm due to DLSS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MikeC posted:

Unlikely. AMD's RT implementation is confirmed to be the same method that Nvidia uses.

I’m surprised that NVIDIA didn’t patent anything important there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Subjunctive posted:

Me too, though I am glad they weren't able to since what they are doing isn't particularly novel.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Took the thread’s advice and catproofed my power button.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

tuyop posted:

Took the thread’s advice and catproofed my power button.

nice but does it have RGB????

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Probably they both own relevant patents and have a cross-license going because they know patent litigation is a net loss for them both.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Stroop There It Is posted:

nice but does it have RGB????

does the cat have RGB????

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

does the cat have RGB????

Just B

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Comstar posted:

This is what Skorptek's advice was for Australia $2300 budget. It also includes a wifi card, and I'm getting them to build it. Does this sound ok? Is has a 16GB RAM and a 2TB SSD I want. The video card is a bit high, but from some quick research will allow me to play Flight Simulator 2020 at medium level ok. Umart.com.au indicates the cost is pretty much what I would get for ordering the parts myself and putting it together myself, which I do not want to do.

My current monitor I will replace once I get this. It's an ancient 22" I want to replace anyway.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($252.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H470M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Austin Computers)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($425.20 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($499.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold S 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.00 @ Umart)

If you want to save ~$50 I recently bought this Pioneer 2TB M2 Drive from Amazon Australia for $370 which has been working pretty well so far.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07T5BHCLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My current setup is basically this on PCPartPicker.
However, my GTX 1080 no longer plays nice (in that my PC doesnt boot up if it's in) and I assume my power supply isn't providing enough power for the card any more, but maybe the motherboard or the graphics card has a problem I can't see.

1. Since I can't find the same Seasonic power supply for sale, what's a reliable substitute? (Worst case, I was wrong about the power supply and then I'll have a backup.)
2. I got everything except the graphics card and the power supply 7 years ago. Even if it might not be having problems yet, should I be worried about the other parts like the SSD/motherboard/memory dying soon?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Comstar posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Why intel?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone have any input on the Fractal Design PSUs? I was looking at this one whenever it comes back in stock; it's Platinum certified, 860W, and has a 10 year warranty:

https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-ion-fd-psu-ionp-860p-bk-860w/p/N82E16817580024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone have any input on the Fractal Design PSUs? I was looking at this one whenever it comes back in stock; it's Platinum certified, 860W, and has a 10 year warranty:

https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-ion-fd-psu-ionp-860p-bk-860w/p/N82E16817580024

I have seen some good reviews for them, and apparently they have extra flexible cables that are easy to work with.