Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

amigolupus posted:

I find it funny how Taichi and Yamato found a way to do Ultimate evolutions by looking inside themselves and embracing the trait that embodies them, while Mimi got hers by being completely loving mad. :v:

Mimi is the true protagonist, she has discovered the secret shonen technique

Getting real pissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mmkay posted:

I wouldn't bother with the farm quests if that's what you're doing for fetch quests.
As for leveling - I liked having 1 PlatiniumSukamon/Numemon with as many Tactician USBs on your team as you can grab. This should lower the amount of grind needed to basically 0 (and maybe allow for some team rotation) . Later on you can have a full team of PlatiniumNumemons and get to level 50 in a battle or two (when you get access to better farming spots).

Should I even bother keeping the free Royal Knights on the Farm if I don't plan on using them until maybe late game (for leadership traits or whatever?), or are they just taking up space to branch out my initial evolutions?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I find it funny how Taichi and Yamato found a way to do Ultimate evolutions by looking inside themselves and embracing the trait that embodies them, while Mimi got hers by being completely loving mad. :v:

Oh she was completely sincere (or, if you will, had pure intentions)

About kicking Andromon right up the arse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Look it was a very sincere madness

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Should I even bother keeping the free Royal Knights on the Farm if I don't plan on using them until maybe late game (for leadership traits or whatever?), or are they just taking up space to branch out my initial evolutions?

TBH I never used them in battle (only used the Builder ones for farm stuff), but from what I read they're pretty inferior to the real deals (I assume you mean the various NX versions?). There's plenty of space in the bank (it expands as the game goes on), so you can just dump them there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

The whole scene felt like a repeat of Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 (especially with a robot's head getting smashed) so it makes perfect sense. Gohan has a pure heart and so does Mimi.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

The whole scene felt like a repeat of Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 (especially with a robot's head getting smashed) so it makes perfect sense. Gohan has a pure heart and so does Mimi.

Burkion posted:

Mimi is the true protagonist, she has discovered the secret shonen technique

Getting real pissed

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

AlternateNu posted:

I thought they were just promo dlc for a toyline so I crushed them into exp for a quick boost early on.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

AlternateNu posted:

They're only about as strong as champions. If you don't use them early they aren't worth using at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

did anyone notice Mugendramon/Machinedramon in MetalGreymon's bank evolution?

You noticed that, too?

Omnicrom posted:

Not until you pointed it out. That would be a fun bad evolution to use instead of Skull Greymon.

I’d be more thematic to see him taken over by his cybernetics than turn into a pile of bones. Plus, it would link him to a Dark Master and fit Machinedramon’s origin as a mix of parts from cyborg Digimon. The guy was terribly underused in the original Adventure given his importance to the franchise as both the first final boss and half of Millenniummon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The preorder window for the Version Complete digivice has been extended to 10/31/20

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well let's take a look through my modest collection...

Everything seems normal here

Wait a second!

There's an intruder! (Bluefin marked him down from 70 to 36 last week for a day so I snatched him up)

He's a ball of a thing but I love him dearly.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Tentomon's line is the best, I will not be taking questions at this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I found that kinda annoying cause it made MetalGreymon look like a putz, though the one hit KO's Andromon gave Togemon and Kabuterimon in this episode were worse(especially with how inconsistent it was considering he wasn't able to do the same to either Guardromon or Greymon)

The augumon amd gabumon lines are putz though and I hope all the other kids clown in them the whole show.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/garrrzzz/status/1299217050867347456

I don't like the original designs but this take on them is nice. I think the lack of detail/chibi style helps hide Aguman's weird popeye forearms.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sleeping Sigma posted:

https://twitter.com/garrrzzz/status/1299217050867347456

I don't like the original designs but this take on them is nice. I think the lack of detail/chibi style helps hide Aguman's weird popeye forearms.

It’s an improvement, sure, but it’s still an uphill battle to make up for their sheer awfulness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New ending!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1299882110736531467

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The augumon amd gabumon lines are putz though and I hope all the other kids clown in them the whole show.

I hope you know just for saying that you have now doomed all the other kids and their digimon to Frontier syndrome.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A giant wasp that looks like a Mega Evolved Beedrill hosed a Gundam that is a Captain Planet badguy’s dream.
That’s terrifying.

Almost as bad as Poor Piyo’s evolution animations still getting the short end of the stick but, still.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I assume someone said "Hey, since Cannonbeemon is blatantly based on the Gundam GP-03D why don't we make it AS BIG as the Gundam GP-03D?

Also by this point I think it's safe to just assume that the evolution sequence money is going to be primarily spent on Agumon and Gabumon and the rest will have shorter and less elaborate ones. Once I think this would have annoyed me, but on the other side of Xros Wars and Appmon any such ardor has cooled. Nowadays I tend to see Evolution sequences mostly as a way to spend time building hype using the insert song. What's important is less the animation so much as the anticipation of something cool brought on by letting them run through the first few bars of Be The Winners or X-Treme Fight. It's not like fancy and elaborate evolution sequences make a good series because Appmon didn't have those.

Semi-related the episode I'm most interested in now is going to be episode 16 when we're out of Perfects and it'll be time to push the plot forward. The last run of evolution episodes have been mostly good and not great, in that early Adventure 99 inspired way when you had runs of episodes that were mostly perfunctory but necessary to get all the evolutions and the crests so the show could advance. And that's fine and all, but I'm ready and eager to see them advance the show so we can get to the late Adventure 99 stuff.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 30, 2020

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Reol loving owns, I'm really hype about this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, are Funbeemon, Waspmon, and Cannonbeemon new or have they appeared in an anime/game before?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

I forget, are Funbeemon, Waspmon, and Cannonbeemon new or have they appeared in an anime/game before?

They appeared in Cyber Sleuth

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

They're new to animation, but they've been around for the better part of like 15 years now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, I’m personally hoping Pusurimon and its evolutions make it into the anime one day as well (mostly because it’s too good a design in my opinion to be stuck in kind of a crappy game).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Their first media appearance was in Digimon Next, a manga! There Cannonbeemon is significantly smaller but also has a lot more missiles!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting, don’t think I’ve read that one. Is Digimon Next any good?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a lot of people liked to tout it as better than Savers back in the day because it was more traditional while Savers changed a bunch of series conventions, but it's seen as pretty average now. It's got something of a problem with character focus, and the main girl characters are either left out of the action or treated as mcguffins or damsels in distress.

In a sharp contrast to Xros Wars, a character named Yuu is probably the best character in it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It also suffers from having a very lackluster final boss, as well as some awkwardness due to initially using the two main Savers lines for the protagonists but then suddenly switching things up by changing out the Ultimates for VictoryGreymon and ZeedGarurumon even though they don't fit at all with the rest of their lines

Also I still say it's weird that they introduced new variants of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon but then never made an Omegamon variant for them

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, I'll second all of that. Next is a pretty okay manga. Of the big three (V-Tamer, Next, Xros Wars) it's definitely the worst. It's never sure if it wants to be fully traditional (it has literal V-pets in it!) or a Savers-like so it mashes things oddly, the plot isn't too interesting but it's decent, the characters are written well enough, the finale is rushed as hell and doesn't really hit particularly well but it's not terrible, the main girl is nice but she never gets to do anything (despite getting Mega first and stupidly early at that), it has some interesting ideas which it executes fairly enough but never extremely well...

It's the very definition of "okay", basically. It never really does anything too bad but it never does anything excellently either. If you have time to read a manga, and haven't read the other two I mentioned, I'd recommend them far more, but if you have and you want to add more to your Digimon lore, Next won't hurt you. It's perfectly decent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So can we talk about how CannonBeemon blew away a chunk of mountain and then Garudamon *over powered that*

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

So can we talk about how CannonBeemon blew away a chunk of mountain and then Garudamon *over powered that*

How about when Garudamon went inside his giant control room and broke him so bad his loving face fell off? That was pretty slick.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

made another one of my V-Pet style Sprite evolution charts, this time for Tanemon;

had to get creative in certain parts and even ended up cheating a little by using some fan made sprites, might tweak later cause some parts I'm a little iffy on(and before you ask that second Palmon line is actually 100% a canon line)

previous charts for comparison;

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone posted the Burst Mode sprites from the Accel V-Pets and man, I wish some of these got to appear outside of the Accels. Most are kind of unimpressive but Evil MarineAngemon and NarWhamon at least deserve to be full Digimon.
https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1301108092348837890

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sorry for the double post, but this may be of interest if you're into the new card game. Namely, that it's coming.
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1301825066406047745

Also someone made a computer version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yYgyiwi6mw

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this may be of interest if you're into the new card game. Namely, that it's coming.

Hell yeah! Very excited

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Is it any fun? I have a soft spot for the original card game but this seems pretty different. I have to admit that the lack of individual attack names and evolution requirements is disappointing to me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
From quick glances it seems to be simmlar in getup to MTG wherein your trying to attack your opponent's life points (represented as a stack of seven cards which they draw on with each attack) by getting through their defending Digimon.

It also has an intresting resource system in that there's a centeral "Pool" of points and the more you use the more points your opponent (Up to a max of 10, which given some digivolutions have a cost of 13, means they going into overdraft is both likely and encouraged) has to use on their turn.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://youtu.be/51LmUT7_VZ8

This channel has some good info on the new tcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Heck yeah im into it, hopefully they learned their lesson and dont change it dramatically from the japanese version like the first time