Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Crusader posted:

dogpark explains their translation process in this thread:

https://twitter.com/dogparkdesu/status/1296189650885734400?s=21

Oh, well if they say so then it must be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

why be pithy about it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Oh, well if they say so then it must be true

I have a somewhat passing understanding of Japanese, admittedly not enough to catch many subtleties but enough to be able to understand most of the words + grammar from the source, and dogpark's translation of the words in the twitter thread was accurate as far as I could tell. One or two I read slightly differently but not significantly so and was likely me making a mistake.

If you don't believe them you could always try going to a japanese dictionary site like jisho.org and pasting the jp text to see for yourself I guess.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I mean it’s not like they’re anywhere near as bad as stuff like the original part 4/5 translations and I haven’t read the original text for this chapter, but the previous one, though the overall chapter story is in tact and it reads much more naturally in English, seemed less accurate than HWMN to me. Mostly just minor grammatical stuff (for example confusing のように (like [noun]) and ように (in order to [verb]), though HWMN did this as well, or more context-sensitive stuff like さっき, which can be “some time ago” or “just now”) and leaving out some info, but the little stuff adds up to make me trust their translations less.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 20, 2020

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I don't wanna go through this point-by-point, but...

quote:

let's go to the next panel
WoU: あと1センチで「何が」起こるのか...?
Hiwa: With just one centimeter to go, will "something" happen?
Mine: I'm not really sure *what* happens at one centimeter away.
I think they're correct that HWMN misread this line. "Nani ga okoru no ka" should be "What will happen?" If it were meant to be "Will something happen?" then it should be "nanika ga okoru no ka"

quote:

where does "There's no precedent I can cite" come from? it just seems made up based on previous lines.
This is an absolutely dense nitpick. Yes, HWMN's two bubbles with "I can't say I know./ There's really no precedent I can cite" is transposed from the order in the original text. Sometimes, when you're translating things, you have to move specific words from one bubble to another. There's no way a translator doesn't understand this!

quote:

WoU: 私自身でも...
Hiwa: Honestly, I'm surprised.
Mine: So, personally...
私: me
自身: myself
で: through/operating with or by
も: also
So something like "Through me myself (my perspective) as well..." which I interpretated as "personally."

Here's the big one. It's very odd to treat split both "私自身/watashi jishin" and "でも/demo" into two pieces and treat them as separate parts when they work in tandem to create meaning. Specifically, "watashi jishin" places extra emphasis on the fact that the doctor is the one who is surprised, and "demo" is a particle emphasizing it further. It's not "Personally speaking, I'm surprised because this has never happened before." It's "Even I myself am surprised, because this has never happened before." I think this is what HWMN tries to capture in their translation when the doctor says "This is the first time I've seen such a thing as well." I can understand if they've never seen "jishin" used in this way before, but not recognizing the "demo" particle is showing a lack of knowledge in basic and essential Japanese.

It's a very strange strategy they're doing here, where they got to pick and choose which panels to post and compare, and yet they don't just fail to show any decisive superiority over HWMN, they also pick a line that highlights their own inability to read dialogue holistically or see words as interlocking pieces with meaning beyond their individual parts.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 20, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Daxing Dan posted:

I don't wanna go through this point-by-point, but...

I think they're correct that HWMN misread this line. "Nani ga okoru no ka" should be "What will happen?" If it were meant to be "Will something happen?" then it should be "nanika ga okoru no ka"

This is an absolutely dense nitpick. Yes, HWMN's two bubbles with "I can't say I know./ There's really no precedent I can cite" is transposed from the order in the original text. Sometimes, when you're translating things, you have to move specific words from one bubble to another. There's no way a translator doesn't understand this!

Here's the big one. It's very odd to treat split both "私自身/watashi jishin" and "でも/demo" into two pieces and treat them as separate parts when they work in tandem to create meaning. Specifically, "watashi jishin" places extra emphasis on the fact that the doctor is the one who is surprised, and "demo" is a particle emphasizing it further. It's not "Personally speaking, I'm surprised because this has never happened before." It's "Even I myself am surprised, because this has never happened before." I think this is what HWMN tries to capture in their translation when the doctor says "This is the first time I've seen such a thing as well." I can understand if they've never seen "jishin" used in this way before, but not recognizing the "demo" particle is showing a lack of knowledge in basic and essential Japanese.

It's a very strange strategy they're doing here, where they got to pick and choose which panels to post and compare, and yet they don't just fail to show any decisive superiority over HWMN, they also pick a line that highlights their own inability to read dialogue holistically or see words as interlocking pieces with meaning beyond their individual parts.

thanks! this is all new to me so very interested in the detail

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I feel like the Dogpark translation for 100 really falls apart particularly toward the end. "Nobody sees it within their Stand" is such a weird phrasing.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
https://twitter.com/dogparkdesu/status/1296189707852767232?s=21

I appreciate the effort in any case, and given how lousy translations have been in the past (I’m reading the SBR color version now and it’s tragic how sloppy it is), I hope some collaborative effort helps instead of leads to a bunch of slapfighting among scanlators.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Something random just sprung into my head from nowhere: The hard counter to Wonder Of U would be King Crimson, right?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Something random just sprung into my head from nowhere: The hard counter to Wonder Of U would be King Crimson, right?

Epitaph would predict the calamities before they happen and they wouldn't be able to do any damage in skipped time. If Wonder of U gets disoriented by time skipping it's basically a complete curbstomp

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wonder of U would call Diavolo a chicken and Diavolo would immediately jump out of whatever ambush point he was using and then get killed by Da Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

how is diavolo gonna get hit by dabudidabuda in the first place

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hmmmm. King Crimson is an absolute defense, working via precognition. Once something is seen by Epitaph, King Crimson can 100% avoid it. Wonder of U is ALSO an absolute defense, working via fate itself intervening.

Wonder of U is definitely a stronger defense, because it works without the user's action - it works halfway across the city without the user realizing someone's pursuing him. We do not know any limit of Wonder of U, either; perhaps it really is possible to create a situation where fate cannot stop someone from reaching him. (Poor Mamezuku certainly didn't manage that.)

So, in a theoretical fight of King Crimson vs. Wonder of U, King Crimson would probably skip like a madman to avoid everything Wonder of U comes up with in the last second. Either King Crimson has some sort of cooldown, or the user does not dodge the counter because they misunderstand it / there's multiple ones / etc., then they die. Or Wonder of U cannot counter when King Crimson appears literally millimeters away from them after a skip, because they can "insert" themselves anywhere they want after the erased time period - then Wonder of U dies.

Wow this is dumb

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Here's another part 5 stand that's a hard counter to Wonder of U - Notorious BIG. The user will take damage until they die and then when it's just the stand all the stuff falling into it will make it more powerful [movement]

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvSVQg1Ae58

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

Hmmmm. King Crimson is an absolute defense, working via precognition. Once something is seen by Epitaph, King Crimson can 100% avoid it. Wonder of U is ALSO an absolute defense, working via fate itself intervening.

Wonder of U is definitely a stronger defense, because it works without the user's action - it works halfway across the city without the user realizing someone's pursuing him. We do not know any limit of Wonder of U, either; perhaps it really is possible to create a situation where fate cannot stop someone from reaching him. (Poor Mamezuku certainly didn't manage that.)

So, in a theoretical fight of King Crimson vs. Wonder of U, King Crimson would probably skip like a madman to avoid everything Wonder of U comes up with in the last second. Either King Crimson has some sort of cooldown, or the user does not dodge the counter because they misunderstand it / there's multiple ones / etc., then they die. Or Wonder of U cannot counter when King Crimson appears literally millimeters away from them after a skip, because they can "insert" themselves anywhere they want after the erased time period - then Wonder of U dies.

Wow this is dumb

I think it all comes down to whether or not the calamities account for KC's time skips. If they don't, then yeah he can just avoid them all. But if they DO, which seems like it might be the case based on Rai getting owned last chapter, then WoU could set up a calamity that foreseeing and skipping can't avoid. An easy example is a gas explosion - if Diavolo had been in the area long enough, he would be too close to avoid it as soon as he foresaw it, even with his skipping power. The piercing rain we saw earlier would work well too - KC can only skip for so long, after all.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

So on this topic, I binge-read SBR after this chapter, which is always a fantastic idea since it’s basically perfect from start to finish and has by far the best climax in a Jojo Part, etc., but I couldn’t help but notice:

Literally the last thing Araki tells us in SBR is that the Zeppeli family had moved to parts unknown. Why end with that bit of narration instead of Johnny’s wistful “Let’s go home,” particularly when the same chapter makes sure to show you Rina Higashikata and her father briefly?

Crusader posted:

i've seen speculation that this was josefumi's original design, but as far as i know that's just fan guessing

I don’t think this is it, anyway; I find it easy to imagine that “Josuke combined with Kira” was part of the initial plan for the plot, anyway, so why have a dude that looks like neither of them? It’s worth noting that Josuke remembers Kira and the other guy standing in front of the Wall Eyes, before the transformation and therefore some significant period of time before the Rock Humans ambushed him and Josefumi. We also know that Kira was working with Norisuke in some capacity, as I recall? If it’s a redesigned character, it could be Jobin.

I’ll also point out that I spent a bit of time trying to look for somebody with that distinctive collar the figure has in the first panel, but came up empty.

I’ll be mad I wrote all this if Araki actually did forget, mind you.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maybe...?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 23, 2020

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I cannot wait for these last few chapters to get their official colorization. Sometimes black and white Jojo is difficult to follow.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sometimes I’ll play Bozz Scaggs and think about Johnny’s horse running around all majestic. It chills me out. Thanks Araki.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/monoboi800/status/1297200781318410240

https://twitter.com/monoboi800/status/1262514429113118721?s=21

Crusader fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 25, 2020

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

The guy in Josuke's vision there could be an older Johnny Joestar without his hat perhaps?

Best panel I could find of Johnny's face in part 8.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I really wish Araki had someone working with help him to plan things out better so we aren't stuck with dangling threads like this.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lamebot posted:

I really wish Araki had someone working with help him to plan things out better so we aren't stuck with dangling threads like this.

Witness the power of Araki's stand

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

That's rad, drat. What a phenomenal way of getting across how eerie he is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

That's rad, drat. What a phenomenal way of getting across how eerie he is.

ceci n'est pas un docteur

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i think i was missing out reading the color version of jojolion first

sure has!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Crusader posted:

i think i was missing out reading the color version of jojolion first

sure has!

New thread title pls

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Just finished steel ball run and I gotta say at this point it felt like a DM had to find an excuse for the players to kill the villain again after convincing them to spare them not thinking it would work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waterfall Watcher fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 27, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Just finished steel ball run and I gotta say at this point it felt like a DM had to find an excuse for the players to kill the villain again after convincing them to spare them not thinking it would work.

To be fair, neither side was fully trusting of the other quite yet. Valentine took measures to arm himself and also grab DIO from another timeline to secure the corpse. Johnny also wanted to make sure Valentine wasn't pulling anything shady on his end before removing the infinite rotation. Had Valentine not brought the gun or Johnny been a little less wary both parties could arguably have walked away or maybe the reverse would have played out and Valentine would have just shot Johnny after being spared.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, neither side was fully trusting of the other quite yet. Valentine took measures to arm himself and also grab DIO from another timeline to secure the corpse. Johnny also wanted to make sure Valentine wasn't pulling anything shady on his end before removing the infinite rotation. Had Valentine not brought the gun or Johnny been a little less wary both parties could arguably have walked away or maybe the reverse would have played out and Valentine would have just shot Johnny after being spared.

Valentine had also briefed The World Dio and taken him to the main reality before his final confrontation with Johnny, he never had any intention of letting him live

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I wonder if Araki almost named Wonder of U as "Crazy Train" because of the misfortune link to D4C Love Train?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Crusader posted:

I wonder if Araki almost named Wonder of U as "Crazy Train" because of the misfortune link to D4C Love Train?

Seems like an obvious link, especially since Love Train - a stand that defends by manipulating misfortune - was defeated when a perfect rotation pierced its shield

On the other hand, no connection to Elvis

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Seems like an obvious link, especially since Love Train - a stand that defends by manipulating misfortune - was defeated when a perfect rotation pierced its shield

On the other hand, no connection to Elvis

how about

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Waterfall Watcher posted:

I disagree entirely tbh. It made sense for valentine that he was speaking nobly but wouldn’t have risked a Johnny and Gyro living

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i guess its also possible that wonder of u gets some kind of upgrade into Wonder of U - Crazy Train before the story wraps up

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

What doesn't really make sense to me is Dio there just because.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Terror Sweat posted:

Araki wanted his proper Jonathan-DIO fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Terror Sweat posted:

for fun :)