Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shame Boy posted:

i was in the gmail beta but i was a childe so i think i picked like "cool videogame character @gmail.com" oh well

i was just old enough that i tried to weigh the odds on how many invites they were going to send out, and ended up deciding i would go with a real name address versus some internet handle that i might be embarrassed about in two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:same:

that was not the case when Hotmail launched though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my first gmail account name used the number 3 instead of the letter e, lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evil_bunnY posted:

TSA is never ever supposed to touch a gun case without you present hth

The TSA not following their own rules? Next you'll tell me that valuables can go missing in checked luggage too!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

same, but my forums name

same

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i registered my old hAcKeR name as an alias at work

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
your parents failed you if your full given name isn’t globally unique

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

El Mero Mero posted:

I thought it would be funny to register something very similar to help@gmail.com when Gmail first launched.

Surprise, it was available and yes - it has been very funny.
admin+dasharez0ne@gmail.com

Perplx posted:

wait what kind of a chucklefuck doesn't name their kids as uuids

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

iuuds

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Globally unique names make for easy doxxing.

Much better to be called John Smith or something.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i was using gmail early enough that someone heard me telling someone my e-mail address on the phone while i was on the train and bugged me for a beta invite

i was boring and just got first.last but my name's unique-ish so i could probably still get it today

edit: this was also during the era when someone wrote some kind of halfassed filesystem that let you use gmail's at-the-time outlandish amount of free storage as some sort of janky cloud storage system, which like most people i never used but thought "huh that's neat" then a year later got ten times as much free cloud storage from someone else

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 31, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nowadays you need to pay $1000/year for an early adopter email address because (t)hey know everyone is only registering to namesquat short addresses.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
I got first.last@gmail.com too, but my name is very common.

In my native language with relatively few speakers.

So common in fact that I routinely receive email intended for one of my many namesakes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
remember when people were selling gmail invites on ebay

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Phone posted:

the person who wanted an invite from me offered to give me five bucks but that seemed kinda shameful for us both

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ive gotten 11 invoices for window cleaning over the last year to a name twin, kinda impressive that they havent gone to collections yet

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volmarias posted:

The TSA not following their own rules? Next you'll tell me that valuables can go missing in checked luggage too!
Look I'm not saying it's surprising, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't throw a fit at them.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I got a spreadsheet of delinquent accounts for some Euro company complete with amounts and full contact info last month. Nothing should surprise me, but who the gently caress conducts business that way?!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Phone posted:

thanks isnoop

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DrPossum posted:

I got a spreadsheet of delinquent accounts for some Euro company complete with amounts and full contact info last month. Nothing should surprise me, but who the gently caress conducts business that way?!

have you missed the monthly news stories about someone phishing $50k off some company by just sending some low level accountant an invoice and saying 'ayyyy boss its overdue as gently caress'

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress we could make so much money if we were unethical. These people aren't even trying.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

my first name is shared by like 2-3 other people, and my full name is unique, so i just never ever post either on the internet. people call me paranoid for some reason tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Truga posted:

my first name is shared by like 2-3 other people, and my full name is unique, so i just never ever post either on the internet. people call me paranoid for some reason tho

we all know your name is james

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

one day my mom got many calls from other old ladies congratulating her on me becoming a religious radio personality. it turns out its another person with the same full name living in the same area.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
great, now we'll never have kids!!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

akadajet posted:

we all know your name is james

james. bideo james.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hey um is publishing your full name, bank name, bank account number and routing info, uh, bad? isn't that all you need to transfer money? cuz i was idly looking at kooky conspiracy sites and landed on a page where the person has posted what appears to be their full banking information so you can update your records if you want to send them money and that seems, uh, ill advised at best?

they also think you can program people to become mermaids which is why i was actually there but this seems a bit more important

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

hey um is publishing your full name, bank name, bank account number and routing info, uh, bad? isn't that all you need to transfer money?

never look at the bottom of a cheque

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

i'm aware, i just feel like there's a difference between that and broadcasting it on a website

e: like my credit card number is on my credit card which i hand to the cashier and poo poo, that doesn't make it a good idea to take a picture of my credit card and put it online :shrug:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it sure is less than ideal opsec because you're instantly giving stuff like: your name, a good guess as to where you live, your banking institution. Sounds like an effective first step for finding a ton more info on someone. That being said if you look at the registrar for the person's domain and all the same info is already public (aside from institution) and more accurate, then I guess you could assume you're not making things that much worse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MononcQc posted:

it sure is less than ideal opsec because you're instantly giving stuff like: your name, a good guess as to where you live, your banking institution. Sounds like an effective first step for finding a ton more info on someone. That being said if you look at the registrar for the person's domain and all the same info is already public (aside from institution) and more accurate, then I guess you could assume you're not making things that much worse.

private domain registration is pretty common these days

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

i'm aware, i just feel like there's a difference between that and broadcasting it on a website

e: like my credit card number is on my credit card which i hand to the cashier and poo poo, that doesn't make it a good idea to take a picture of my credit card and put it online :shrug:

oh, it’s worse to publish it, but “handing card to cashier” is something that people in civilized places don’t have to do any more either in part to reduce exactly that risk

I just think it’s funny how loose the controls on EFT are

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Fool posted:

private domain registration is pretty common these days

nearly universal, I thought?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

last I checked, which I guess has been 5 years ish, network solutions still defaulted to public registration

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

a what? oh you mean those bits of paper we stopped using decades ago because they were horribly insecure?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

hey um is publishing your full name, bank name, bank account number and routing info, uh, bad? isn't that all you need to transfer money? cuz i was idly looking at kooky conspiracy sites and landed on a page where the person has posted what appears to be their full banking information so you can update your records if you want to send them money and that seems, uh, ill advised at best?

they also think you can program people to become mermaids which is why i was actually there but this seems a bit more important

You can have a business account that only accepts deposits. They probably didn't do that.

Subjunctive posted:

My checks have an old address. Opsec through laziness.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don’t have checks because I am not elderly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I still have checks because for the longest time I still had to use them to pay rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have checks for the sole purpose of paying rent since NYC rent is too high for any non-check cash transfer solution. It sucks.