Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They were heels up until the first ladder match with edge and christian after which no-one was ever gonna boo them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jesus WEP posted:

They were heels up until the first ladder match with edge and christian after which no-one was ever gonna boo them

yea the day after that on raw they all came out and everyone yelled their heads off and the hardy boyz were rock n roll trailer park heartthrobs in an instant

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Love the Michael Hayes black jeans Hardy era. I believe he was 40 when that picture was taken

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Tato posted:

Love the Michael Hayes black jeans Hardy era. I believe he was 40 when that picture was taken

he looks preposterous

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red posted:

I vaguely recall both of the angles below, but I feel like they were heelish under Hayes/Hendrix, and maybe turning face with Terri?

Important to mention that they got Terri as their valet after they won the Terri Invitational Tournament. TIT. D'ya geddit?

Anyway, look at all these dopes ignoring Tanahashi's great heel run as Gokiburi Mask.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tato posted:

Yikes.

Did he sit on a roof in the sun all day for those 40 years?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Even disregarding the storyline alignment of his character, Jeff Hardy was objectively a heel at Victory Road 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Road_(2011)

quote:

According to reports, the main event was cut short due to backstage concern over Jeff Hardy's wellbeing.

While Hardy's entrance music played, he did not come out for over 40 seconds before he emerged, clearly intoxicated and under the influence of drugs, then stumbled out and staggered his way into the ring, forcing referee Brian Hebner to give an "X" sign during Sting's entrance to the ring.

Following an audible from Eric Bischoff, and Hardy spending over a minute teasing the crowd over whether or not he'd throw his shirt, Sting hit Hardy with his Scorpion Death Drop and forcefully shoot pinned him to end the match in 88 seconds. Upon exiting the ring, Sting responded to chants from fans who were outraged at the result, including one fan who was heard to tell him "That was bullshit!", by saying "I agree! I agree!".

TNA later apologized to its fans for the pay-per-view "falling short of their standard" and offered six months of free access to the TNAondemand.com library to anyone who bought the event.

As a result of the fiasco that unfolded at Victory Road, Jeff Hardy was subsequently sent home from Impact! tapings the following week, and written out of the next month of TNA programming. It was later reported that while Hardy was considered "fine" throughout the day, it was moments before his match that he was deemed unable to compete. Hardy had been abusing drugs and alcohol, and completed a 120-day rehab during his time away from TNA.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cerebral Bore posted:

Come to think of it, was Ultimate Warrior ever a heel? Except IRL, of course.

When he started out as one half of The Blade Runners, then when he moved on to World Class and became The Dingo Warrior, he was a heel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Even disregarding the storyline alignment of his character, Jeff Hardy was objectively a heel at Victory Road 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Road_(2011)

No, the heel is whoever the gently caress let him go out there. Luckily, Sting was a professional and just took care of it quickly and safely.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite memory of WWF Attitude was the preview in Nintendo Power where they posted the flatttened head texture of The Rock to show how detailed it was.

I found it in a YouTube walkthrough of that very issue

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, so I have the following promotions' tag belts set for the poll:

-WWE (Raw, SmackDown, Women's)
-AEW
-Impact Wrestling
-NJPW
-AJPW
-Pro Wrestling NOAH
-Dragon Gate

Any others I should consider?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

My favorite memory of WWF Attitude was the preview in Nintendo Power where they posted the flatttened head texture of The Rock to show how detailed it was.

The Rotis.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Edward Mass posted:

-AEW
-Impact Wrestling
-NJPW
-AJPW
-Pro Wrestling NOAH
-Dragon Gate

NXT

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

-AEW
-Impact Wrestling
-NJPW
-AJPW
-Pro Wrestling NOAH
-Dragon Gate

I mean if you're going to include WWE sub brands & poo poo I'd hope that Junior Heavyweight Tag titles will also be included. Let me show love to the STINGER team of HAYATA & Ogawa.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

not a world tag team championship.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why didn't Raven do the crucifix pose in WCW? Was there some TNT edict?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Why didn't Raven do the crucifix pose in WCW? Was there some TNT edict?

very likely, turner standards and practices are very no-no on anything religious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

I just remembered the EGM in-joke created character, Elephant Sak, from those games.

What a time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bix, paging Bix

I remember someone posting a vignette for Jeff Jarreett in Memphis where the territory tried to sell him as a sex symbol. Do you have this clip somewhere? I'm asking you because I know you a fair bit about Memphis

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bix, paging Bix

I remember someone posting a vignette for Jeff Jarreett in Memphis where the territory tried to sell him as a sex symbol. Do you have this clip somewhere? I'm asking you because I know you a fair bit about Memphis
Ask and ye shall receive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tDh8_WpTw&t=90s

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

.....drat. I need a cold shower now

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

JOHN CENA posted:

very likely, turner standards and practices are very no-no on anything religious.

They used to not be allowed to say "Jesus" and "sweet zombie Jesus" was always bleeped on Futurama.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

Yikes.

Did he sit on a roof in the sun all day for those 40 years?

Cocaine ages a body.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
The most haggard looking people I have ever seen have all been alcoholics.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

harperdc posted:

I just remembered the EGM in-joke created character, Elephant Sak, from those games.

What a time.

Holy poo poo Elephant Sak lmao it was gone from my memory now I can picture him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

Cocaine ages a body.

Had Michael Hayes been off National TV long enough that it was reasonable to rebrand him as Dok Hendrix, or is that just a big head-scratching 'what the gently caress' for Vince?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Red posted:

Had Michael Hayes been off National TV long enough that it was reasonable to rebrand him as Dok Hendrix, or is that just a big head-scratching 'what the gently caress' for Vince?

He had been Dok Hendrix for half a decade in WWF at this point.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Hayes had been on WCW as recently as Jan 1994. He started as Dok Hendrix on April 14, 1995. I assume it was one of those normal Vince "No one cares about southern wrestling or knows who the gently caress Michael Hayes is anyway" things

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tato posted:

Hayes had been on WCW as recently as Jan 1994. He started as Dok Hendrix on April 14, 1995. I assume it was one of those normal Vince "No one cares about southern wrestling or knows who the gently caress Michael Hayes is anyway" things

Might be a copyright thing for Hayes?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hi, here are some random questions:

1. Has anyone listened to this album? On purpose? How bad is it? I remember seeing it at THE WALL, and I was initially excited, because I thought it was theme music. Nope, it's wrestlers singing, for some godforsaken reason. Even as a 12 year old, I had no interest in whatever the hell this was:

2. Based on Triple H's handling of NXT, how do you think a HHH-run company would do?

3. Is there a website out there that has a list of wrestling moves with a .gif or something of the move being done, so as to properly understand/identify the move?

4. I just caught that Owen recycled the K-Driller/seated Tombstone for a thing with Dan Severn that I've forgotten about. How was that received at the time, and why would they do this, given Austin was the biggest star in the company?

5. Did anyone listen to Dan Severn speak before WWE hired him? Or even the NWA?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might be a copyright thing for Hayes?

Bruce Prichard talked about it recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH7gbqLZiVQ

tldr - Vince hated Michael Hayes' long hair and his name, and when he was brought to Titan Towers for his tryout, they had a barber in Vince's office to cut his hair on the spot

After they cut his hair and were brainstorming names, someone commented that he looked like Tonight Show bandleader Doc Severinsen, and Hayes chose the name "Hendrix" after Jimi Hendrix.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vince has always had poo poo for brains

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

1. Has anyone listened to this album? On purpose? How bad is it? I remember seeing it at THE WALL, and I was initially excited, because I thought it was theme music. Nope, it's wrestlers singing, for some godforsaken reason. Even as a 12 year old, I had no interest in whatever the hell this was:

It was terrible, but as an eight-year-old, I loved it. I could probably still sing along to every song. Who can forget lyrics like, “Tatanka. Buffalo.” and, “Hacksaw Jim Duggan b-b-beats people up!”?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Fun fact: this album was produced by a young Simon Cowell.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Full Metal was the superior album because it had Thorn in your Eye, We're All Together Now, and most importantly, With My Baby Tonight. Also the 1-2-3 Kid's theme slaps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Red posted:

Hi, here are some random questions:

A friend in Primary School had it & did me a copy of it. I listened to it so loving much you wouldn't believe. 2 & a half decades later I still am just cutting about in day to day life & bits of it pop into my brain out of nowhere, like the aforementioned Hacksaw Jim Duggan b-b-beats people up-up-up & The Nasty Boys are just plain nasty & the utterly bizarre Speaking From The Heart featuring Randy Savage.

Obviously it's terrible but I have such fond memories of it. Despite it being unfiltered garbage. Or because of it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoChk5pZIQ

possibly the best piece of art ever created by human beings?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Flight Bisque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoChk5pZIQ

possibly the best piece of art ever created by human beings?

That loving quote at the start I have never been able to forget.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I like how Mr Perfect's song on the album was just his theme song done on a Casio keyboard and Hennig just talking over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that album was produced my mike stock and pete waterman, 2/3s of the super producers stock, aitken and waterman who you know for writing and producing never gonna give you up