Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's no need to watch the films. Your heart has already watched them. Simply derive ever diminishing amounts of joy posting about them like the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I decided to skip Rogue One and just go with the original Trilogy. Watching the despecialized version of Episode 4 right now.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I decided to skip Rogue One and just go with the original Trilogy. Watching the despecialized version of Episode 4 right now.

Two good decisions

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Stairmaster posted:

Is there any proof the millennium falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy
Never mind

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hollismason posted:

just lol if you aren't watching the laserdisc rips

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm watching the Despecialized Versions. I don't know what the Laserdisc rips are. Its gorgeous though and looks great on my TV. I just started Episode 5.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I found the copper-border dvd of Return of the Jedi at a Goodwill the other day for $1.50. I know I already have a copy of the despecialized editions and the original laserdiscs, but you can’t be too careful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

I actually really like this explanation, because it fits in so well with the movies. The Falcon is a pretty blatant homage to 50's/60's car culture and it's love of post purchase modifications. Han treats it just like the stereotypical muscle car owner would their tricked out ride.

The Falcon is filthy and rusted to poo poo. Han barely takes care of it at all, because he's poor. That's the characterization. Han isn't buying cool new modifications for his sweet car; he's trying desperately to keep his boat afloat because it's his only source of income and he can't afford anything better.

Using the Falcon in Empire Strikes Back makes sense, because it's "a dark time for the Rebellion" and everything is hosed. It shows that they're really desperate, if they're stuck hiding from their pursuers in Han's lovely boat.

But the Falcon's appearance in Episode 6 is big misstep - on par with the threat being a literal fuckin' Death Star 2. This is the Rebellion at the peak of its organization, and they're sending in a single rusted tugboat alongside all their warships and fighters. Han's not even there. Let them take the Falcon down to the Ewok moon, and give Lando his own ship.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure they wanted all available ships in the assault so were literally throwing everything they had at the Death Star.

I'm just wondering why Lando is wearing Han's clothes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"Ok so this mission involves flying through an extremely confined space at high speed while dogfighting"

"Well we're definitely gonna need a freighter"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh Empire is so loving good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It really is. Easily the 3rd or 4th best film in the franchise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Empire is easily the best of the series but like Return will always kind of be my favorite. I had the Ewok village playset as a kid.

My Rankings

Episode 6
Episode 5
Episode 4
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 9
Episode 1

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 1, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What the gently caress?

I think it's easier for little kids to not realize a bunch of people are dying when they screen shows a spaceship blowing up vs people/teddy bears getting shot and screaming

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The falcon stuff in 6 is weird and messy, never really thought about it. Han says it's the fastest ship in the fleet when he hands the keys over. It's just less of a presence in the film in general - I don't think they even built the interior for that one just the cockpit and the gunner (deleted scene) and the ramp (deleted sandstorm scene). It's fittingly like Han where by the time the third movie comes around they don't really know what to do with it. Except Lando - he's going to sneak out of the teddy bear picnic to kiss it under the stars

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Falcon is filthy and rusted to poo poo. Han barely takes care of it at all, because he's poor. That's the characterization. Han isn't buying cool new modifications for his sweet car; he's trying desperately to keep his boat afloat because it's his only source of income and he can't afford anything better.

It can easily be both. That Han Solo won the ship in a card game with a rich guy makes a lot of sense; it's not something he'd otherwise be able to afford on his own, and maintenance and repair is all the more difficult for a tricked out ride on a shoestring budget. Lando is (or was) rich enough to own an entire cloud city, and presumably the Falcon was his personal hobby spaceship and he could actually afford to properly maintain it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Lando was supposed to die in the Falcon originally, from memory.

Speaking of iconic ships, did anyone know in ROS they had the Tantive IV get destroyed , also killing Nien Nunb who was captaining it? All offscreen of course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Barudak posted:

It really is. Easily the 3rd or 4th best film in the franchise.

Yeah I’d probably say 3 or 4 too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think reusing the falcon for landos ship is ok because the audience already knows that it is a “good ship” and it’s distinctive.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But the Falcon's appearance in Episode 6 is big misstep - on par with the threat being a literal fuckin' Death Star 2. This is the Rebellion at the peak of its organization, and they're sending in a single rusted tugboat alongside all their warships and fighters. Han's not even there. Let them take the Falcon down to the Ewok moon, and give Lando his own ship.

It's because Episode 6 is when the series first starts giving itself over to fan service.

- "Well we've gotta go back to Tatooine. That was in the first movie!" (I don't believe it was ever mentioned that Jabba was on Tatooine before that, right? Even if you treat his ANH scene as canon at that point, which, when they made Episode VI, it wasn't, that doesn't mean he was from there, just that he tracked Han down to Tatooine.)
- "Harrison Ford thinks we should kill Han Solo? We can't kill Han Solo! People love Han Solo!"
- "People loved the Death Star? What if there was, like...another Death Star?"
- "There's gonna be a huge space battle? I mean, we've GOTTA have the Falcon in there. People LOVE the Falcon."

It's not entirely filled with it, the throne room scenes aren't that and are some of the best scenes in the series. But there's definitely some choices in there that, to me, only make sense from a fan service point of view. Even Leia being Luke's sister kind of feels like fan service, because Lucas didn't have 4 movies left to answer who the "another" was, he had one, so it became, "poo poo, who do fans already know? Leia? Sure, they'll probably like her being a Skywalker and accept it. gently caress it."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen Rouge One or Solo. Are either of them worth watching?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Solo? No, it's really bad. Rogue One is pretty good, albeit weighted towards the climax of the film. Rogue One is really let down by its score, though, which I think was done in... something like two months? Overall, though, it's a neat film about the unsung heroes and villains of the Rebels and Empire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen Rouge One or Solo. Are either of them worth watching?

Rogue One's is pretty messy overall but the final 45 minutes are great.

Solo is only worth watching if you want to get into the specifics of how and why it's bad.

thrawn527 posted:

- "Well we've gotta go back to Tatooine. That was in the first movie!" (I don't believe it was ever mentioned that Jabba was on Tatooine before that, right? Even if you treat his ANH scene as canon at that point, which, when they made Episode VI, it wasn't, that doesn't mean he was from there, just that he tracked Han down to Tatooine.)

At the end of Empire they talk about meeting at the rendezvous point on Tatooine once Lando and Chewie have located Han.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 1, 2020

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Horizon Burning posted:

Solo? No, it's really bad. Rogue One is pretty good, albeit weighted towards the climax of the film. Rogue One is really let down by its score, though, which I think was done in... something like two months? Overall, though, it's a neat film about the unsung heroes and villains of the Rebels and Empire.

Just FYI I know the person who scored Rogue One likes to complain about having so little time, but Williams wrote the original score for ANH in less time.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Jewmanji posted:

Just FYI I know the person who scored Rogue One likes to complain about having so little time, but Williams wrote the original score for ANH in less time.

"Well I'm sorry, but I'm not John Williams." -Michael Giacchino, probably.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

galagazombie posted:

The Falcon is a pretty blatant homage to 50's/60's car culture and it's love of post purchase modifications. Han treats it just like the stereotypical muscle car owner would their tricked out ride.
If there's one thing the Millennium Falcon absolutely doesn't resemble, it's a sleek muscle car.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

"Well I'm sorry, but I'm not John Williams." -Michael Giacchino, probably.

Indeed, he had as much time to rip-off Williams as Williams had to create something unique and he was unable to do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jewmanji posted:

Indeed, he had as much time to rip-off Williams as Williams had to create something unique and he was unable to do it.

Star Wars' score is extremely good but I would not call it unique.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also rogue one's score is extremely reasonable and very impressive for an 'ah gently caress' last minute handin

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Give us the rebel terrorist cut Disney.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Star Wars' score is extremely good but I would not call it unique.

Heard every bad take about Star Wars in this thread over the years but finally found a new one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Solo is a good movie, but a bad Star Wars movie

Also somewhat relieved it's what made Disney realize Star Wars isn't Marvel

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked Solo more than Rogue One, it was a much more fun movie to watch for me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jewmanji posted:

Heard every bad take about Star Wars in this thread over the years but finally found a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJwa9mX0bxA

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ultra Carp
I enjoyed Rogue One but you can tell it's a film that got absolutely mauled in editing and reshoots. The first half of the film especially is a complete mess, and there's very little time for the characters to actually sit down, breathe, and talk to each other. Still a decent film, especially for the space battle, but it really could have been so much more.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every day I wait solemnly for the contrarian pro star wars 9 hot takes to begin. I sense the vile seed germinating in the dark earth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Mods No Masters posted:

Every day I wait solemnly for the contrarian pro star wars 9 hot takes to begin. I sense the vile seed germinating in the dark earth

My intuition tells me we're still a ways off but yes it will happen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If episode 9 were a marvel movie people would have loved it

People did love it anyway

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm also looking forward to it, because even though I can't picture how a defense of the ST would work it would be fun to read and think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a certain charm that the original trilogy has that the new trilogy just never managed to capture. I mean they definitely tried but it never quite took hold.