Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

I move around a lot. My first big move (over a decade ago) was a nightmare with multiple rooms crammed with books. I donated all of it, and while I miss the smell, it is incredibly freeing to not be tied to hundreds of pounds physical objects any more.

At this point I have like, 200 books in the queue. Iain Banks is literally my favorite author, and I will absolutely read everything he has written, I just don't need to that badly right now.

Ah yeah fair enough. I remember when I was planning to move overseas and realised I should stop buying books and work my way through my existing stock, and realised... there was a reason I hadn't got around to reading those particular books yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/1300796947800961024?s=19

could they have picked anybody loving else? Jesus. I guess they did a decent job of the seasons with books, so if they stick hard to the book it might be all right.

Will either be really good (vindicates their work on GoT) or really bad (doubles down on their awful final seasons of GoT).

If they're playing it as a giant space epic it would be nice if they got brit actors like they did for GoT, but the source material should have them casting a lot of asians (and one stereotypical american iirc). Westworld filmed their most recent season in Singapore and it was pretty striking visually.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, now get someone to translate it please! I want to read that!

Maybe 15-ish years ago someone translated some. I read #1 and all I remember is being underwhelmed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Against A Dark Background at least looks like it's available in the US on kindle? https://www.amazon.com/Against-Dark-Background-Iain-Banks-ebook/dp/B002CT0TXK

Check that one out.

I love this one. It's a bleak, imaginative protracted heist or 'caper' story with some amazing set pieces. You go to a lot of interesting places, watch friends die over bullshit, be betrayed by family, and explore the most isolated world in the galaxy. They're stuck in a rift so deep that a GSV would have to make serious plan alterations to visit in a reasonable amount of time. They've had spaceflight for 10,000 years, but they're stuck in one system and always will be. It's an amazingly baroque place.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, I own a considerable number of physical 40k books, and I think they cost me a bunch. The kindle is probably the best gift I've gotten in ages though, so there's that.
Edit: what the gently caress there's an Eisenhorn #4?????

Oh, I have good news for you. Pick up "Magos". It's a new Eisenhorn novel with all the short stories collected, and a reading order that takes you from the first story, through the Eisenhorn novels, and lands you at Pariah, the first of the third trilogy in the cycle.

I finished Tyrant. Goddamn Battuta, you hit it out of the park with this one. I'll put up an Amazon review in the fullness of time, but take a(nother) bow, you've grown by yards as a writer. Good luck with #4 ! Don't rush it, we'll wait for it to be right.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

mllaneza posted:

Oh, I have good news for you. Pick up "Magos". It's a new Eisenhorn novel with all the short stories collected, and a reading order that takes you from the first story, through the Eisenhorn novels, and lands you at Pariah, the first of the third trilogy in the cycle.

I realized I still haven't finished Ravenor. I've read Eisenhorn three or four times, it might be my favorite trilogy ever, but I've felt for a long time that I was truly finished with the character because of how much I love the original trilogy. Now I've got plans to read the rest of the Horus Heresy, I might just read Eisenhorn again, I've got Ravenor, Magos... I think I'm on the threshold of a 40k resurgence.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There were dragonlance novels, but I think that was more of a universe and less of a specific event over the entire run.

There is a main arc to the Dragonlance series comprised of the Chronicles, Legends, Preludes, and other books, but I doubt they add up to the length of the HH. There are just under 200 Dragonlance novels in total.

There are now well over 30 Drizzt novels. That may be the longest single fantasy series by one author, but they're also a lot shorter than the average HH novel I think.

Taken as a whole, the Forgotten Realms novels might be the biggest novel series. There are over 300 of them, split across over 70 different trilogies and series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

I realized I still haven't finished Ravenor. I've read Eisenhorn three or four times, it might be my favorite trilogy ever, but I've felt for a long time that I was truly finished with the character because of how much I love the original trilogy. Now I've got plans to read the rest of the Horus Heresy, I might just read Eisenhorn again, I've got Ravenor, Magos... I think I'm on the threshold of a 40k resurgence.

Last year when I was super-stressed over college classes starting up I went hardcore into ffxiv. This year it's 40k and honestly this is the better choice, I'm reading so much and it's great. Have you read the Deathwatch novels? You should read them, Steve Parker is good at writing space marines killing things.

Then to balance out the grimdark military horror that is 40k I'm reading the straight horror that is the Anita Blake series and it had a sequence so intense this evening I had an adrenaline rush just from reading it. Putting a skinless corpse cannibal monster THING in a hospital is awful, then having it be controlled by a bastard who steered it straight to the maternity ward was worse.

e: I will eventually conquer Dragonbone Chair for the record, it's just that it's the slowest book I have ever read

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 2, 2020

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Volume 10 update 9a of ??
80% completion, less than 100 SFL Digests remain to be read.

Certain topics have cropped up again and again periodically in the SFL Archives read-through.
Larry Niven's Known Space/Down in Flames, matter transportation, filkchat, childrens tv shows, etc..luckily each time the discussion on <reoccuring-subject> has focused on something new rather than rehashing old-arguments.

-Relative newcomer to the book publishing field Baen Books (established 1983) is getting referenced more and more.

-V the series. SFLers still can't get over why the Visitor's came to Earth for H20 aka water when water is freely available in so many other places. 2020 take: Replacing water with biologicals would have worked better. Think of how coffee plants originally only grew in South America, or how tasty spices mostly grew in the tropics, and the Mace/Nutmeg spice island being traded 1:1 for the city-island New Amsterdam aka New York City. Now make that intergalactic, and the Visitors are coming for this rare delicacy called "potatoes" or "crab-apples".

-Bridge of Birds gets mentioned for the first time in SFL archives as well as similar themed stories

-Someone in late 1985 mentions a bunch of "intelligent dolphin" stories that aren't David Brin's Uplift setting and wants more. DolphinFucker is inexplicably not the author of those posts.

-Matter transportation comes back as a topic of discussion in late 1985, but focuses on souls/who is the original in 1985 vs the earlier "how do they transmit all that data" and "how do they *STORE* all that data" debates.

-The 1985 version of Known Space Niven-verse/Down In Flames discussion focuses on how Niven's Protector book syncs up with the rest of the Known Space series and the Ringworld. lots of interesting ideas and theories that Niven will never deal with sadly.

-A throw-away reference to female fans being advised to avoid Asimov if encountered alone at scifi-conventions

-Back to the Future 1 came out in July 1985, and discussion about time-line split-offs with Marty 1 timeline, Marty 1955 timelines, and who goes where/who gets replaced kicks off. Definitely seen identical arguments on this same subject on SA threads.

-November 5th being a frequent "go to/execute/the movie happens now" date for time travel stories comes up and never gets resolved (so far)

-Author nepotism, SFL authors dissing other SFL authors, SFL authors arguing about Hugo & Nebula awards, more author self-doxxes

-Book publisher fuckery part 36: publishers loving up basic things like getting the authors name spelled correctly (or listed at all!), and loving up the book title on book spines/title pages on 1st printing runs

-The 2nd hand story of how Jerry Pournelle lost his guest account arpanet access. Pournelle did *something* and "refuses to suck up to the post-grad" managing the ARPANET node to get his ARPANET guest account back.

real talk here, 2020 mode. Back when Pournelle was a new writer in the scifi/mil-scifi/mil-fiction/wargaming fields, Pournelle loved to throw around his intellectual weight/that he had a PhD as a silver-bullet to win arguments in print/in person/etc. That behavior never really stopped with Pournelle. Pournelle likely got warned to *stop* doing whatever hyper-entitled Libertarian thing he did to get his Arpanet guest account disabled. Pournelle in response probably deployed his PhD silver-bullet...which probably resulted in endless laughter from the post-grad ARPANET people because it was a PhD in Political Science.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Black Griffon posted:

Ravenor wasn't as good as Eisenhorn, I think, because Ravenor wasn't quite as relatable. It's still absolutely excellent, though, and worth finishing. It deals well with the question of how much evil (and collaboration with evil) is justified in the pursuit of justice.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The 16xx/Grantville books are a contender, though I have no idea what the total words to it is by now. It does have the "lots of authors but a strong editorial hand" thing going. But it's open ended rather than heading for a big finish AFAIK.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Volume 10 update 9b of ??

-John Varley's short stories "The Barbie Murders", "Press Enter" and "Millenium" keep getting mentioned. From a 2020 perspective, John Varley's stories and writing aged better than Spider Robinson's work but not by much.

-People can see the seams where Orson Scott Cards 1977 short story Ender's Game got Bloater-Drive expanded into the 1985 award winning novel Ender's Game.

-Female writers across multiple genres, and feminist SF gets discussed with Joanna Russ's How to Suppress Women's Writing getting prominently mentioned

-Isaac Asimov's creepy interactions with women gets brought up repeatedly as Fall 1985 hits. A particularly poorly aged Asimov penned article in the Boskone 22 program guide gets brought up. tldr...Asimov probably most definitely sexually harassed Shawna McCarthy out of her job as editor-in-chief of a little known SciFi magazine called "Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine". Keep in mind, this is 1985 SFL posters saying the Asimov Boskone 22 article aged poorly and to further clarify things Boskone 22 happened back in February 1985.

-Reminisces about Theodore Sturgeon career brought up the cringy-amusing time a fan invoked Sturgeon's Law at Theodore Sturgeon at a SciFi convention panel by directly quoting excerpts from some of Sturgeon's crappier stories at him.

-Part two of people asking how to get in contact with authors. This time some of the self-avowed/self-doxxed SFL authors respond back on the best methods to do so(contact publishing company/ask a research desk librarian). Think I skipped mentioned part one which happened circa 1982? because back then it was clear the people asking weren't satisfied with merely sending letters, they wanted direct one on one access.

-Scientology starts getting discussed. Much EL RON HUUUUBBBBARRRD weirdness. A weirdly specific promotion contest for the upcoming Battlefield Earth movie, to be filmed in Colorado
(2020 sidenote: There was only one Battlefield Earth movie made, the one starring Travolta. It appears that Battlefield Earth was stuck in development hell for a long long time. For additional amusement factor, think of all the amazing books/book series with optioned movie rights that have been stuck in development limbo forever. Like Stars My Destination, old-man King Conan, Confederacy of Dunces, Consider Phlebas, etc. Now remember that the GOR series managed to have a real movie made starring real Hollywood actors....queue infinite Tidus from Final Fantasy X laugh).

-Really angry feedback happens when the 1985 SFLer whose gimmick is posting 800+ word essays on the "THE PROBLEMS OF SCIENCE FICTION TODAY" says that Spider Robinson is a hack writer (2020 take: TRUTH), and that Samuel R Delany's Dhalgren is over-rated.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 2, 2020

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Volume 10 update 9c of ??

-A SFLer in 1985 manages to predict both the clone army Kill Order 66 gimmick and the Robot Drone armies in the Star Wars prequel movies.

-Lack of new Star Wars content has people Zapruder film analyzing Ewok cuteness levels, the uselessness of Storm Trooper armor, ammo clips vs charge-paks on blasters, whether or not blasters are energy weapons vs explosive projectiles, and how lightsabers really work (super polished mirrors, plasma and extending rigid mono-filaments get mentioned)

-A 1985 Paramount Studios press release giving the general real outline of Star Trek 4 comes out, and ruins the vicarious fun of peoples wild-rear end guesses about Star Trek 4's plot.

-A interesting recap-summary of the talk Ellen Asher of the Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club (SFBC) gave at a meeting of the New Jersey Science Fiction sometime in 1985. The recap summary mentioned the 7 different genre book clubs Doubleday had running at the time, and how book of the month selections were made, etc.

-Differences between the American & UK editions of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books come up. It is mostly changes to what brand of cars people owned, the names of the Krikkit gate-key items, and Wowbagger the infinitely prolonged insults.

-Bookstore chains B. Dalton's and Waldenbooks (people who grew up in the USA during the 1980s & 1990s will remember these names) versus independently owned bookstores...lots of interesting sounding regional independent bookstores that may/may not/probably do not exist anymore.

-SFL Archives technical minutia chat including the origins of the SF-LOVERS mailing list and the real paranoia one of the longest running SF-LOVERS moderator had about getting called up before a Congressional committee headed by William Proxmire regarding SF-LOVERS leeching from US Government resources.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I’m just a lurker but I enjoy reading these SFL recaps. Thanks!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Gor didn’t just get one movie, there are at least two! The second was “featured” on Mystery Science Theater as “Outlaw” (of Gor), and it had Jack Palance in it. It’s amazing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

curious if anyone's tried Adrian Tchaikovsky's new book, Doors of Eden

haven't quite finished but i guess I came in hoping for another Children of Time but instead it's... an urban fantasy adventure, but with more about evolution than most.

and there's some extremely hamfisted you-know-the-badguys-are-badguys-because-they're-constantly-transphobic stuff that I feel like he handled quite poorly and added basically nothing to the novel, but is probably triggering for some folks

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

eke out posted:

curious if anyone's tried Adrian Tchaikovsky's new book, Doors of Eden

haven't quite finished but i guess I came in hoping for another Children of Time but instead it's... an urban fantasy adventure, but with more about evolution than most.

and there's some extremely hamfisted you-know-the-badguys-are-badguys-because-they're-constantly-transphobic stuff that I feel like he handled quite poorly and added basically nothing to the novel, but is probably triggering for some folks

I loved Children of Time even though I found its characterisation really hamfisted, it was just an absolute page turner. But I've got Cage of Souls on hold at the library and judging from reviews am already assuming COT might have been a one hit wonder.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Never been into reading sci-fi at all but I've been binge watching a lot of sci-fi poo poo for the first time (LOTGH, Star Trek). Is reading through Dune series relatively quick? Wondering if I should bother to start first book I currently have, before film comes out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

knox posted:

Never been into reading sci-fi at all but I've been binge watching a lot of sci-fi poo poo for the first time (LOTGH, Star Trek). Is reading through Dune series relatively quick? Wondering if I should bother to start first book I currently have, before film comes out.

Herbert is not a quick read. The usual advice for the Dune series is "read until you don't like it, then stop because it won't get better." That point is different for everyone. The first one is great, and I would recommend it before seeing an adaptation.

If you must know what happens after you stop, read synopses. But avoid the Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson prequels completely.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

quantumfoam posted:

-Isaac Asimov's creepy interactions with women gets brought up repeatedly as Fall 1985 hits. A particularly poorly aged Asimov penned article in the Boskone 22 program guide gets brought up. tldr...Asimov probably most definitely sexually harassed Shawna McCarthy out of her job as editor-in-chief of a little known SciFi magazine called "Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine". Keep in mind, this is 1985 SFL posters saying the Asimov Boskone 22 article aged poorly and to further clarify things Boskone 22 happened back in February 1985.

I was curious, so I looked the Boskone 22 program guide up. Jesus.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

-Differences between the American & UK editions of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books come up. It is mostly changes to what brand of cars people owned, the names of the Krikkit gate-key items, and Wowbagger the infinitely prolonged insults.

lol i had no idea there even was an american version. i remember reading them as a kid before wikipedia existed and having no clue what the hell the Ashes were

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Velius posted:

Gor didn’t just get one movie, there are at least two! The second was “featured” on Mystery Science Theater as “Outlaw” (of Gor), and it had Jack Palance in it. It’s amazing.

The infinite Tidus laugh from Fantasy Fantasy X increases in volume.

graventy posted:

I was curious, so I looked the Boskone 22 program guide up. Jesus.

Yes. The Asimov stuff in SFL Archives Volume 10 is legitimately unsettling.
Editors, publishers, convention organizers knew and covered it up, not just in Asimov's case but multiple other cases too.
This is why I no longer believe that publishers of that era didn't know what was going on with MZB, and that publishers of that era also didn't know about the skeevy child-abusing backgrounds of the Eddings writing team.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

buffalo all day posted:

it looks like horus heresy is about 5.3 million words -- wheel of time is a single story told over 15 books (14 in the main sequence + a prequel) and is 4.4 million words, which is at least roughly comparable
hey strix how do you feel about web serials

the wandering inn is longer than that and ongoing, with a spinoff comic just published. ok, so it's unfettered by concerns such as "proper editing," unless live-streaming the writing counts, but it's pretty fun and the author is going to wake up one morning and find that her wrists have literally fallen off overnight.

web serials tend to bloat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

quantumfoam posted:

The infinite Tidus laugh from Fantasy Fantasy X increases in volume.

Yes. The Asimov stuff in SFL Archives Volume 10 is legitimately unsettling.
Editors, publishers, convention organizers knew and covered it up, not just in Asimov's case but multiple other cases too.
This is why I no longer believe that publishers of that era didn't know what was going on with MZB, and that publishers of that era also didn't know about the skeevy child-abusing backgrounds of the Eddings writing team.

I think they pretty much had to know about the Eddings thing because it went to court, but they kept it quiet because it couldn't happen again.

All things considered I hope they didn't stay quiet about Asimov any longer than 1985, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

hey strix how do you feel about web serials

the wandering inn is longer than that and ongoing, with a spinoff comic just published. ok, so it's unfettered by concerns such as "proper editing," unless live-streaming the writing counts, but it's pretty fun and the author is going to wake up one morning and find that her wrists have literally fallen off overnight.

web serials tend to bloat.

sorry I only read web serials translated from chinese like Renegade Immortal or Martial World, thank you

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

sorry I only read web serials translated from chinese like Renegade Immortal or Martial World, thank you
don't tell me you read that human-translated trash, at least.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

quantumfoam posted:

-A interesting recap-summary of the talk Ellen Asher of the Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club (SFBC) gave at a meeting of the New Jersey Science Fiction sometime in 1985. The recap summary mentioned the 7 different genre book clubs Doubleday had running at the time, and how book of the month selections were made, etc.

I'm wondering if you can go into more detail on this.

quantumfoam posted:

I don't think those situations are comparable. Asimov wore his attitudes on his sleeve (and was also a much bigger figure in the SF world, giving more opportunity to behave the way he did). He thought it was all harmless fun, talks about it in essays, etc. He put a public face on his behaviour than none of the others were interested in doing (since there was no way to dress up child abuse in a similar fashion).

Xotl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 2, 2020

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then to balance out the grimdark military horror that is 40k I'm reading the straight horror that is the Anita Blake series and it had a sequence so intense this evening I had an adrenaline rush just from reading it. Putting a skinless corpse cannibal monster THING in a hospital is awful, then having it be controlled by a bastard who steered it straight to the maternity ward was worse.

If you somehow missed it when she's been brought up previously, keep in mind that around book 10, the series (Anita Blake not 40k) departs from crime noir thriller to focus more on the sexual dynamics in the series, as Wikipedia tactfully puts it. I'm not sure if she keeps up the horror along with that.

I wish I'd kept better track of where I left off in web serials. I've enjoyed a bunch of them over the years but only ever finished Wyrm because it ended before I'd caught up with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bagrada posted:

If you somehow missed it when she's been brought up previously, keep in mind that around book 10, the series (Anita Blake not 40k) departs from crime noir thriller to focus more on the sexual dynamics in the series, as Wikipedia tactfully puts it. I'm not sure if she keeps up the horror along with that.

I wish I'd kept better track of where I left off in web serials. I've enjoyed a bunch of them over the years but only ever finished Wyrm because it ended before I'd caught up with it.

I literally can't bring up the series ANYWHERE on the internet without being warned about the porn so yeah I know. I'm looking forward to it!!! I really like Merry Gentry too, LKH writes really good character drama and mixes it with horror and noir stuff excellently.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fair enough haha, I think the whiplash was bad for me because I was passing around the books among my family included my then teenaged brother and sister since we all shared a book library at the time. Then I don't know what was weirder, running into the were-leopard orgies or having my parents posting as excited fans on the author's facebook page popping up on our feeds years later.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Xotl posted:

I'm wondering if you can go into more detail on this.

No problem, going to repost the full message from SFL Archives Volume 10.
Here's some meta-context to it:
1) The SFLer who posted this is the sock-puppet arpanet account of the 1985 SFLer whose primary gimmick is posting reviews of everything fantasy and science fiction related that they run across. Lots of details and story context are usually left out of their reviews in the rush to be the first to post about something Fantasy or SciFi related.

2) Doubleday Press's thing back in the 1970's-1980's was running multiple book of the month clubs for various book genres, in addition to Doubleday's normal book publisher duties. Even back in the 1980's, the real draw of businesses doing discounted goods offers was the membership mailing list. aka the Facebook business model.

------------------------------

Subject: Science Fiction Book Club
Date: 26 Aug 85 06:58:07 GMT

Comments on The Science Fiction Book Club
An article by Evelyn C. Leeper

Recently, Ellen Asher of the Doubleday Science Fiction Book
Club (SFBC) came to speak at NJSFS (the New Jersey Science Fiction
Society). Some of her comments were fairly interesting, so I will
relay them as I remember them.

The SFBC is one of seven Doubleday book clubs (Asher said she
likes to think of it as one sucker on the book club tentacle of the
Doubleday octopus). It is the largest of their specialty clubs
(they also have a military history club and the Mystery Guild, for
example). I don't recall if it's larger than their Literary Guild,
though. The seven clubs have a membership totaling over one
million, and since the mailing list that the SFBC sells (which
includes expired members) is about 250,000, one can conclude that
the SFBC itself has about 200,000 members. (The actual figures are
secret, apparently.)

There was a lot of discussion about the books that are
selected. There are several considerations. The books are printed
"letter-press" rather than offset, so that books relying on strange
typographies or complicated interior illustrations have little
chance of being chosen (alternate selections can be printer offset
in special cases, but the main selections cannot be). Most are
issued as hardcovers, though they occasionally issue a trade
paperback. (There is a new LeGuin--I've forgotten the title--that
will be a trade paperback, slip-cased with cassette.) Because of
the "negative option" method used (see below), and because so many
of the members are minors, the main selections usually do not
include "adult" (sexual) material. Doubleday has no desire to get
hauled into court for sending unsolicited sexual material to minors.

Several of us (including me) decried the swing from science
fiction to fantasy that we see the SFBC taking. There appear to be
several reasons for this. One, fantasy sells (according to Asher,
and she should know). Two, there is a lot more fantasy available
than there used to be. (Look in your local Waldenbooks or B. Dalton
if you don't believe this.) Three, and this is my observation based
on an extended conversation, Asher likes fantasy better than science
fiction, and Arthurian/high fantasy better than dark fantasy
(including horror, but also works by such authors as Glen Cook and
Stephen Brust). While she buys the obligatory science fiction (no
one would dream of not offering the latest Asimov or Niven), she
tends to go for the new fantasy authors more than the new science
fiction authors. This is, of course, somewhat self-fulfilling. As
more fantasy is offered, people who prefer fantasy join the SFBC
because they can get more of what they want, while people who prefer
science fiction leave (or are dropped) because they can't find what
they want. (If a member hasn't bought a book in a year, they are
sent a letter asking them to return an enclosed card if they wish to
remain a member. This way the SFBC doesn't keep spending postage on
people who never buy anything.)

Someone asked about how well the book club editions hold up
over time. Asher replied that they are printed on acid-free paper,
so should last reasonably well. This provoked a stir of surprise,
since Gregg Press and Bluejay Books have been promoting their books
as being superior to most because of the acid-free paper. Why
doesn't the SFBC mention this in their advertising? Asher said that
every time this was suggested, the powers that be at Doubleday
insisted that no one would understand what that meant, so it didn't
pay to advertise it. If enough people wrote the SFBC and asked them
to switch to acid-free paper, they might realize that we *do* know
what the stuff is!

There has been some discussion about the "negative option"
method that the SFBC uses (if you don't reply otherwise, you
automatically get the main selections). People have claimed that
there is some way to get on a "positive option" list, where you
don't have to reply each month. When I asked about this, the
response was that there was such a list, but it is reserved for
people who have some good reason to be on it. Most of the people on
the list, for example, are overseas, where the cost of postage and
handling is high enough that the SFBC felt that the default sending
of the selections wouldn't be fair (not to mention the problems of
getting the cards back to the SFBC back in time to have them not
send the selections, if negative option were in effect). I suspect
that people who travel a good deal (the military, etc.) could also
be put on the list.

No one talked about the cost of postage and handling. Everyone
knows it's high; everyone knows there's not much that can be done
about it.
Evelyn C. Leeper
...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

------------------------------

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Last Astronaut should be called The Lastronaut, and Ant Man should simply be called Mant.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Bormorant.

Bort for short.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Real excited to read bort 3 someday

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Bort 3, The Color of her Cormorants, is the next book up. Should start by Friday and I'm excited.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
2 Bort 2 Also Bort was good, I should reread it because I remember the first Bort way better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm sorry, but as I've recently watched Bort 5 I have to say that it's the best of the franchise with a fantastic get the team together montage.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Bort Hard With a Vengeance was underrated.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

No problem, going to repost the full message from SFL Archives Volume 10.
Here's some meta-context to it:
1) The SFLer who posted this is the sock-puppet arpanet account of the 1985 SFLer whose primary gimmick is posting reviews of everything fantasy and science fiction related that they run across. Lots of details and story context are usually left out of their reviews in the rush to be the first to post about something Fantasy or SciFi related.

In the 90s and early 00s Evelyn Leeper also maintained a 'list of independent new&used bookstores' that I def. used more than once.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The SFL recaps are fun to read. I float around in hobbies like crazy and I find it a fascinating time waster to dig into a thread on here or elsewhere dedicated to a new interest and reading through it. I'm never as far back as the SFL archives but its interesting to see what people were saying and discussing. I'll want to respond to a post or add my own thoughts and have to remember it has been years or months since it was posted. It's also fun losing track of the time and coming up to an event that all the threads mention, like the recent Lowtax event or someone cross posting spam, that brings it into perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Fate of Bort