Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
did i miss something? why are all the spec ops dudes suddenly dead when Denji pulls his cord?

also, this whole Day of Rebirth thing is making me think this may end up going in a very End of Evangelion direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

did i miss something? why are all the spec ops dudes suddenly dead when Denji pulls his cord?

also, this whole Day of Rebirth thing is making me think this may end up going in a very End of Evangelion direction

Makima does have the whole abusive parent thing down

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

What was it she did to break your heart, betray your heart and everything? Kiss you with a kiss that wasn't true, it wasn't you at all. Hide behind a painted smile, did you know that you would live a lie or two?

Pull the very ground from under you, and leave you nowhere else to run...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Million Ghosts posted:

He killed them all in an instant with his bare hands. Look at the blood.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Million Ghosts posted:

I mean generally shooting Makima has never ended well for whoever is performing the deed.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RatHat posted:

So Makima’s subordinate devils names might be mistranslated(not that it’s the translator’s fault) and might actually be named after the Christian Angel Hierarchy

Beam=Bim, as in CheruBim
Prinz=Princ as in Principalities
Power is also an angel rank.
And obviously the actual Angel devil, who hasn’t been given a name.

The Violence devil doesn’t fit this but it was never given a name. All this makes the angel imagery with Makima make a lot more sense. If any more get introduced this’ll be easy to prove or disprove.

EDIT: I guess that would make Denji Lucifer? He will rebel against Heaven(Makima) and get cast out. The painting wasn’t referring to her, it was him.

are you the translator trying to cope to a mistake or did you just like, predict this

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

goblin week posted:

are you the translator trying to cope to a mistake or did you just like, predict this

It’s Fujimoto dropping Q-style hints on something awful.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Fujimoto, I know you’re reading this. Stop torturing Denji. Where we chainsaw one we chainsaw all

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wonder why makima isn't using kon. unless dominion is kon...? no way kishibe lives :/ i also kinda doubt her makima body is her main body anyway

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Killing Makima:
Plan A blow her up
Plan B shoot her
Plan C shoot her more
Plan D Summon devil

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chainsaw-man-chapter-83/chapter/21234

I wonder if Kishibe knew Denji was there or not. Did Makima bring Chainsaw, to her home, knowing this was going to happen?

that'd be some 4d chess

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chainsaw-man-chapter-83/chapter/21234

I wonder if Kishibe knew Denji was there or not. Did Makima bring Chainsaw, to her home, knowing this was going to happen?

that'd be some 4d chess

At this point, we can’t discount anything from Makima. She’s been steps ahead of everyone.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The manga does have a ongoing message on the proliferation of weaponry. The Japanese Government seems to have acquired the Hell Devil after their encounter with Santa Claus. I wonder what Devils and Devilmen are left with that internal conflict. I feel bad for Kishibe for having executed this plan after Makima got full control of Denji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

At this point, we can’t discount anything from Makima. She’s been steps ahead of everyone.

I'd say it's more that she's been able to scramble ahead. We've seen Makima surprised or thrown off for a moment repeatedly. It's just she gets things back on track.

Even now, if Quanxi had signed with Kishibe, Makima'd probably be in a much worse position.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Killing Makima:
Plan A blow her up
Plan B shoot her
Plan C shoot her more
Plan D Summon devil

if she'd been successfully yanked into hell then Darkness probably would have been waiting and cracking all twenty of its knuckles for Round Two

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goblin week posted:

Nah just reposting a theory from somewhere else.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm like ten chapters behind after Gun Devil started coming for Makima because I go too stressed out thinking about Aki and all my babies. Gonna catch up after dinner and assume it's all fine by now!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

I'm like ten chapters behind after Gun Devil started coming for Makima because I go too stressed out thinking about Aki and all my babies. Gonna catch up after dinner and assume it's all fine by now!!

You better post right now about how cool the future is

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is the darkest day in Aki defence squad history but what a chapter :negative:

E: Oh denim don’t trust Makima
Wtf don’t kill power you bitch

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 7, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why did she do this? Why is chainsaw important? Still sounds like power may return... :negative:

Also due to apparently a bunch of devils being slaughtered by chainsaw in hell I wonder if that's why he's so strong. Because he's the devil devils fear.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 7, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So, I may have missed it because I binged it during a bout of insomnia, these guys sacrificing themselves to the Hell devil are eternally damning themselves to try and deal with Makima or is it just the sacrifice of life? Because holy poo poo I've never believed in anything bad enough to go that far.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think it's sacrifice of life. There seems to be a running theme of sacrificing your body or life expectancy to gain devil powers

Everyone seems to be scared shitless of Makima. So I could see some people, especially those who got hosed over by her, saying gently caress it send me to hell if it means Makima dies

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I’d assume the latter. The guy that made the shallowest cut seemed to really want the hell devil to get at makima (which was cool because you’d think he would cut it shallow to stay alive for however long as he can)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheKingslayer posted:

So, I may have missed it because I binged it during a bout of insomnia, these guys sacrificing themselves to the Hell devil are eternally damning themselves to try and deal with Makima or is it just the sacrifice of life? Because holy poo poo I've never believed in anything bad enough to go that far.

Hard to say for certain, but likely just giving up their own lives.

Thinking about it, do we know if damned humans ACTUALLY go to hell? All we really know about the place is that's where devils go when they die, then if they die there they return to earth. Do we still not truly know what happens to humans when they die?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thinking about it, do we know if damned humans ACTUALLY go to hell? All we really know about the place is that's where devils go when they die, then if they die there they return to earth. Do we still not truly know what happens to humans when they die?

We know what happened to one human, at least. He got to meet his brother again.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

To clarify: i say it's likely they're just giving up their own lives, as it seems like they're entering a contract with the Hell Devil. They're giving the Hell Devil their lives in order to convince it to do them a favor. We don't really know for certain what happens to a human who gives their life to a devil, such as when Himeno gave "everything" to the Ghost Devil - presumably Himeno just died when this happened, but we don't really know for sure, so we can't really be certain what happens when you give your life up to any given devil. If doing so somehow sends you to hell, or to some specific torture or something caused by the devil you gave your life to, then that sucks for the millions of Americans that the president gave 1 year of life from to the Gun Devil!!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I got into chainsaw man off of a viz+ membership without knowing anything about the manga-ka and the first volume is an extremely well-executed bait-and-switch wherein it looks like a protoypical shonen action comedy with slice of life elements, cute mascot character, maybe even a bit of harem/ecchi lewdness, but things got progressively and unexpectedly more brutal until here we are, the revival of the gun devil and the apotheosis of makima

I’ve since read Fire Punch & so I know that skillfully subverting and deconstructing shonen tropes is Fujimoto’s thing, but reading Chainsaw Man absolutely killed all interest I had in Jujutsu Kaisen, which has similar themes and structure but plays it straight

anyway I love Viz+, between this, Fire Punch, Spy x Family, and Act-Age (:smith:) it was well worth the couple of bucks to sub for a month

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MizuZero posted:

I got into chainsaw man off of a viz+ membership without knowing anything about the manga-ka and the first volume is an extremely well-executed bait-and-switch wherein it looks like a protoypical shonen action comedy with slice of life elements, cute mascot character, maybe even a bit of harem/ecchi lewdness, but things got progressively and unexpectedly more brutal until here we are, the revival of the gun devil and the apotheosis of makima

I’ve since read Fire Punch & so I know that skillfully subverting and deconstructing shonen tropes is Fujimoto’s thing, but reading Chainsaw Man absolutely killed all interest I had in Jujutsu Kaisen, which has similar themes and structure but plays it straight

anyway I love Viz+, between this, Fire Punch, Spy x Family, and Act-Age (:smith:) it was well worth the couple of bucks to sub for a month

Viz+ is a great investment, you also get access to Manga Plus with it - I recommend reading The Vertical World.

And I just started Jujutsu Kaisen cus of the SJ thread and I like it, being only like 5 chapters in, but it doesn't hold a candle to Chainsaw Man. This is honestly the best non-one-piece manga running in jump right now, it's so phenomenally good.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Rereading and

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

To clarify: i say it's likely they're just giving up their own lives, as it seems like they're entering a contract with the Hell Devil. They're giving the Hell Devil their lives in order to convince it to do them a favor. We don't really know for certain what happens to a human who gives their life to a devil, such as when Himeno gave "everything" to the Ghost Devil - presumably Himeno just died when this happened, but we don't really know for sure, so we can't really be certain what happens when you give your life up to any given devil. If doing so somehow sends you to hell, or to some specific torture or something caused by the devil you gave your life to, then that sucks for the millions of Americans that the president gave 1 year of life from to the Gun Devil!!

All americans are bound to hell regardless

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its just the price/fuel for the summon.
Same how makima used those death row inmates to fuel that flattening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the question is still why do devils care if you make those sacrifices. Can they use life force that’s given up?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think the question is still why do devils care if you make those sacrifices. Can they use life force that’s given up?

Seems likely. I mean, that's how Angel makes weapons.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Seems likely. I mean, that's how Angel makes weapons.

Ya, my point is more that they benefit rather than it being an arbitrary thing. Like Pochita and Future both watching their contractors lives

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viz+ is a great investment, you also get access to Manga Plus with it - I recommend reading The Vertical World.

And I just started Jujutsu Kaisen cus of the SJ thread and I like it, being only like 5 chapters in, but it doesn't hold a candle to Chainsaw Man. This is honestly the best non-one-piece manga running in jump right now, it's so phenomenally good.

One thing that stood out for me early on in reading Jujutsu was a bit pretty early on where it said that one of the three leads wouldn't come out of a mission alive.

When that came up, I thought two things.

1) That's a bluff.

2) Chainsaw Man in a similar situation? Probably not a bluff.

Just ask Himeno. (Seriously, this is some nice animation. I miss puke girl.)

Even looking at the latest chapters, there's a difference in tone where JJK is structured like a shonen manga, and Chainsaw Man is structured more like, well, a movie. Not to insult a manga I haven't read all through, but Chainsaw Man definitely feels more distinct.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that stood out for me early on in reading Jujutsu was a bit pretty early on where it said that one of the three leads wouldn't come out of a mission alive.

When that came up, I thought two things.

1) That's a bluff.

2) Chainsaw Man in a similar situation? Probably not a bluff.

Yeah I had that exact same thought lmao. Imagine a reverse situation too, if future devil's "Denji will kill you and power" line was in any other manga. It'd either be Denji defying fate or something to save them (maybe he kills future devil, then "the future is in our hands now!!" or something) or just pull a MHA and the prediction just doesn't happen through sheer Shonen spirit. Maybe it'd pull some bait and switch where there's an identity devil that copies them and he kills that or some poo poo. Somehow there would be an excuse to pull the punches so the status quo doesn't REALLY have to change.

God I love chainsaw man

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Chainsaw man, Chainsaw man, does whatever a chainsaw can.
84 sc:
https://imgur.com/a/7JrGi6Z

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I can't believe the Chainsaw Devil is a Holocaust Denier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
hey I was right about a hell arc... and it’s over now