Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Ok. The ones I've used in Norway are all lumpy and wont sit straight when pressed to a wall. The cases don't seem to be to a set metric dimension either. Might have to bring some calipers next time a go to a major hardware store to see if some are suitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Humbug posted:

Ok. The ones I've used in Norway are all lumpy and wont sit straight when pressed to a wall. The cases don't seem to be to a set metric dimension either. Might have to bring some calipers next time a go to a major hardware store to see if some are suitable.

Just fold the tape back on itself to measure the body. Even the lumpy ones here in the states have an overall length of 3" from tape to back.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

It’s not quite the same thing, but this Hazet tape measure has always been oddly fascinating as a tool.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Just fold the tape back on itself to measure the body. Even the lumpy ones here in the states have an overall length of 3" from tape to back.

They're either 3" or 3 1/4" in my experience, and it usually says on the body.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Humbug posted:

I have an old "Handy Wyteface"

This is my wife’s sexy name for me

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a stanley panoramic with me at work, 0-32-125 I think, it doesn't have auto retract which is annoying but also means it's the only one no one's stolen from me for years now. That has the double sided tape like the hazet one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are vintage air tools "useless"? The design is appealing and I love every time someone like mustie1 pulls them out to grind etc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are vintage air tools "useless"? The design is appealing and I love every time someone like mustie1 pulls them out to grind etc.

I had a die grinder and some stuff I’d gotten at yard sales over the years, but I don’t have a dedicated shop and air lines so I get much more utility out of my battery tools. I finally cleaned up and got rid of them recently, and couldn’t be happier.

Speaking of getting rid of old tools, I’m finally putting to bed my 10$ yard sale frankenmower I’ve been limping along for six years. Bought the Kobalt 80v brushless push mower on end of year clearance for $250, and the thing operates like a dream. Mulches fantastic, does great with my long neglected tall grass, adjustable operating height so I don’t have to stoop, one lever height adjustment, only used 1/4 of the battery to mow my yard... I’m in love with this thing. Wish I’d taken the plunge sooner. That’s officially my last gas tool, gone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how I feel about a battery powered lawn mower. That feels wrong some how.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rutibex posted:

I don't know how I feel about a battery powered lawn mower. That feels wrong some how.

Use one and you'll quickly change your tune.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I had a die grinder and some stuff I’d gotten at yard sales over the years, but I don’t have a dedicated shop and air lines so I get much more utility out of my battery tools. I finally cleaned up and got rid of them recently, and couldn’t be happier.

Speaking of getting rid of old tools, I’m finally putting to bed my 10$ yard sale frankenmower I’ve been limping along for six years. Bought the Kobalt 80v brushless push mower on end of year clearance for $250, and the thing operates like a dream. Mulches fantastic, does great with my long neglected tall grass, adjustable operating height so I don’t have to stoop, one lever height adjustment, only used 1/4 of the battery to mow my yard... I’m in love with this thing. Wish I’d taken the plunge sooner. That’s officially my last gas tool, gone

That's a f*cking steal. I know what I didn't have planned to buy today I'm going to have to make a trip for.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat, I picked up the previous generation used, but it doesn't mulch great. Plows through everything though and hardly uses a battery. I probably need a new blade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Step up to the self‐propelled model for thirty‐three bucks?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SpartanIvy posted:

Use one and you'll quickly change your tune.

I need to be good and frustrated to the point of being so happy it finally started that I get to mow the lawn :colbert:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

My daughter and son-in-law have that and said the self-propelled function drains too much battery. They're not all that happy with it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Deffo gonna impulse buy a 3 grand craftsman knockoff

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Aren't Teng tools pretty decent?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Deffo gonna impulse buy a 3 grand craftsman knockoff

lol £3,000 worth of socket wrenches and screwdrivers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOKVj6NxfM

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I mean, I’m not gonna lie, I wish my toolbox was that big, complete, and organized

Platystemon posted:

Oh you’re in a zip with the good pricing then, the self propelled is still $407 near me. I’d snag that if you’re interested!

PSA: Found out that the lowesdeals.com site is totally legit, but the coupons exclude sale items. But they do instantly email you a coupon and take paypal. Used 20 off 100 on a block glass window and 10% on an impulse buy radon monitor when the coupon didn’t work for the mower.

Also, if you live in area with roots and lovely digging, the Root Assassin XL tile spade is worth every penny and then some. Possibly my best tool purchase year to date, has regularly saved my butt digging or expending holes for this fence.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ I mean, I’m not gonna lie, I wish my toolbox was that big, complete, and organized

That tool collection is lame as hell. Its 90% socket wrenches/Screwdrivers/pliers. The tap and die set is pathetic, and the drill bit section is worse than dollar store tier. There is almost nothing in that video I could want and I've cobbled together most of my tools from a pawn shop junk bin for less than $200.

The tool chest itself is very nice though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

That tool collection is lame as hell. Its 90% socket wrenches/Screwdrivers/pliers. The tap and die set is pathetic, and the drill bit section is worse than dollar store tier. There is almost nothing in that video I could want and I've cobbled together most of my tools from a pawn shop junk bin for less than $200.

100% agreed. These look like a bunch of harbor freight starter sets. But with fewer sizes.

The electrical tools in the one drawer are baffling (the red insulated drivers and pliers, etc). What is this kit trying to be? "The one thing that has 1/4 of what you need to do any job"?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It's trying to be a 1001 pieces.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nevets posted:

It's trying to be a 1001 pieces.

Yeah its clear that they are just giving you 2-3 of every tool they make, even when they have redundant functions. It could be a good collection if they gave you lots of stuff that you actually need, like 100 sets of clamps or something :v:

But channel locks? Come on no one wants those.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 6, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

That’s officially my last gas tool, gone

I did this same thing two years ago with a similar kobalt 80v mower. I think I paid around $200 bucks. One of the batteries wouldnt charge after I opened the box so the store upgraded me to a battery that cost almost as much as the what I paid for everything.

I finally cleaned out my shed yesterday and I put my two 50 year old lawn boys at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on them. Hopefully they are gone this morning.

Goooood riddance.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ThirstyBuck posted:

I did this same thing two years ago with a similar kobalt 80v mower. I think I paid around $200 bucks. One of the batteries wouldnt charge after I opened the box so the store upgraded me to a battery that cost almost as much as the what I paid for everything.

I finally cleaned out my shed yesterday and I put my two 50 year old lawn boys at the end of the driveway with a FREE sign on them. Hopefully they are gone this morning.

Goooood riddance.

Not going for the low hanging fruit here. Wuddnt be prudent.

Lawn test cut report instead. We had 4" rain the last day of August so the backyard was shaggy. This mower cuts the thick stuff nicely and has a sensor that stiffens the wheels to slow it down in the really high grass. Not sure if I like that nanny feature even if it's a good thing. The killbar is very sensitive. If I relaxed my hand, it shut off. The bagger is efficient, how hard is that to get right? unlike the Craftsman self-propelled gas mower I paid forward to the neighbor kid. Still had half a charge left on the battery whereas I was totally gassed. :thumbsup:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Seriously, gently caress small motors.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mr. Mambold posted:

Not going for the low hanging fruit here. Wuddnt be prudent.

After 50 years all fruit is low hanging :( .

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The only reason I opted for a gas powered lawn mower is because I hate cutting the grass and it's probably not gonna get done but every other week, even in summer, so I needed something more powerful than the similarly priced battery ones. Otherwise they own.

Also, I recently borrowed a pole saw from a friend, but it needed a new chain before use. The inside of the chain housing was so filled with dirt that it had the impressions of the serial numbers from the chain cover in it...

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 6, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why hasn't someone come out with a battery pressure washer yet? If an 80V battery can replace a mower engine, surely it can replace the same engine in a pressure washer.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why hasn't someone come out with a battery pressure washer yet? If an 80V battery can replace a mower engine, surely it can replace the same engine in a pressure washer.

I guess if you need to have a hose anyway, why give up the power? But then gas ones exist..

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There are many, they just don't look great. I guess pumping water isn't very efficient so the power drain is huge?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

There are many, they just don't look great. I guess pumping water isn't very efficient so the power drain is huge?

Well let's see, the 1900 PSI karcher I bought recently is 1.8kW, so at 80V you're looking at 22.5A.

That battery-powered mower has a 5Ah battery, so rather than the 80 minutes it lasts in the mower, you'd get a little over 13 minutes of use out of a charge.

That's comparing the marketing spiel of the mower (which is presumably using its lowest power) against the max power of the washer, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess if you need to have a hose anyway, why give up the power? But then gas ones exist..

Gas is what I have, and it'll be the last gas power tool I ever own. Corded ones are indeed limited around 1.8kW because that's the most you can draw from a standard 5-15R. My gas washer is ~3kW.

So, to your point here:

Jaded Burnout posted:

you'd get a little over 13 minutes of use out of a charge.

Fair, though at least compared to a gas washer there'd be no time sitting there with it idling, and I don't know how often I'd need to be running at ~10 minutes of constant max-power pressure washing. Could always run a couple of packs in parallel to deal with the amp draw issues.

Part of this is I really need to sit down and figure out why my "electric start", doesn't. Unless the engine is just past TDC on the compression stroke, it never seems to have enough power to actually crank over. So that leads to me letting it sit there and idle longer than necessary and even when unloaded, that fucker is plenty loud.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Gas is what I have, and it'll be the last gas power tool I ever own. Corded ones are indeed limited around 1.8kW because that's the most you can draw from a standard 5-15R. My gas washer is ~3kW.

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that gas was the solution to your problem, more that it invalidated my own argument that there's no point having a wireless power source if you're connected to a hose anyway.

Max wattage out of a ~230V supply is 3kW, and only 10% of the world uses ~110V as residential standard, so maybe there's less of a market for the battery versions?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 6, 2020

coathat
May 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a 40v ryobi one that is about as powerful as a $100 plug in electric one but it costs around 500

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I think more to it, if you’re using an electric pressure washer, you may as well plug into an outlet, because you’re already restricted by the hose and a water supply anyways. May as well drag out the extension cord at that point

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

Mine is it and it's blessed as hell

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Any tips on a decent budget toolbelt?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jenkl posted:

Any tips on a decent budget toolbelt?

I got lucky with this one on clearance at lowes for $25
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Estwing-General-Construction-Leather-Tool-Apron/1002247250

I'm a diy dad with very limited needs, but the big pouches are a good enough size to fit drill/driver/batteries.
Permanent residents include a pencil, sharpie, small notepad, tape measure, and box cutter. Saves me ten minutes of being annoyed, digging around for all those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

The tool chest itself is very nice though.

Ah bummer, I just skipped through the video... I thought it was like one of the complete snappy sets for remote sites and stuff. 3k of HF tools won’t be perfect, but it’s still enough to do a hell of a lot of stuff.

I’d just love to have a full chest with that kind of everything-has-a-slot organization. My current system is slowly sedimenting underneath about two feet in my workbench

McSpergin posted:

Mine is it and it's blessed as hell

Pics or it didn’t happen