Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Uh, No Good Men has been out for over a week. I posted about it earlier. It is extremely good. It has a story about the Bloodlines probator as well as several others and every one is great.

Yeah but I'm in Wisconsin and Amazon shipped it from Oregon?

:shrug:

E: Oops, looks like it's arriving today instead! :peanut:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Silly Newbie posted:

Anyone have a recommended reading list of Abnett's 40k but non-HH work?
I've read Haunt's Ghosts and the Eisenhorn/Ravenor stuff, and I'm not sure where to go next. I just really like his style of "good and compelling novels that happen to take place in the 40k universe".

Double Eagle was a good viff, I mean riff on the Battle of Britain.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

von Metternich posted:

I was rereading the Angron origin book and there was a unit called the Unbroken, because they’d never broken in combat. But like..,that’s every space marine, right? Is there an instance of a space marine unit running away in the fluff?

I haven't read this and also good replies from other posters but ALSO, these guys likely have butcher's nails and on top of that are motivated by Angron's*... motivational*... leadership*... methods*... they might literally not have ever stopped attacking, never thought to withdraw to get out of a bad spot or gain an advantage or anything but full on fight mode, even to the point of insanity.

****Angron will loving butcher you if you fail him in murder death killing in a timely fashion.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 9, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm reading the Eisenhorn trilogy, i've never read a warhammer book before and these are a lot of fun, but I just wanna say its funny how Abnett took away his ability to smile in the first one but then in the second one he forgetting and keeps making Eisenhorn smile at people.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm reading the Eisenhorn trilogy, i've never read a warhammer book before and these are a lot of fun, but I just wanna say its funny how Abnett took away his ability to smile in the first one but then in the second one he forgetting and keeps making Eisenhorn smile at people.

There's a theory about that. I forgot the details but I'm sure someone will repost it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Media Bloodbath posted:

There's a theory about that. I forgot the details but I'm sure someone will repost it.

I think that's two separate things. When it happens in the early books, that just seems to be continuity errors, but then when it happens in The Magos, Eisenhorn has been through the same thing as this guy and also has purple eyes:

"Sark should have died the first time he tried to harness the Loom. He certainly shouldn't have been able to survive the many weavings he had conducted. But then, Gobleka was certain that the process had altered Sark in fundamental ways. Sark had ceased to be remotely human a long time ago.

What did that make him? A god? A daemon? A eudaemonic spirit? Gobleka was sometimes convinced that Sark's soul had burned out years before, and something else, some etheric sentience, had taken up residence inside him, wearing Sark's flesh like a borrowed coat. During the brief moments he became lucid, Sark always begged to be let out of the cage. Gobleka wasn't sure it was Sark talking. It wasn't the magos pleading to be let out of the metal cage, it was the thing inside him whining to be let out of the coat of flesh it was clothed in."

Alternatively, those weren't continuity errors and Abnett was setting some stuff up. Or maybe Locke was full of poo poo, and Eisenhorn's face is just like that anyway.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 9, 2020

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I think that's two seperate things. When it happens in the early books, that just seems to be continuity errors, but then when it happens in The Magos, Eisenhorn has been through the same thing as this guy and also has purple eyes:

"Sark should have died the first time he tried to harness the Loom. He certainly shouldn't have been able to survive the many weavings he had conducted. But then, Gobleka was certain that the process had altered Sark in fundamental ways. Sark had ceased to be remotely human a long time ago.

What did that make him? A god? A daemon? A eudaemonic spirit? Gobleka was sometimes convinced that Sark's soul had burned out years before, and something else, some etheric sentience, had taken up residence inside him, wearing Sark's flesh like a borrowed coat. During the brief moments he became lucid, Sark always begged to be let out of the cage. Gobleka wasn't sure it was Sark talking. It wasn't the magos pleading to be let out of the metal cage, it was the thing inside him whining to be let out of the coat of flesh it was clothed in."

Alternatively, those weren't continuity errors and Abnett was setting some stuff up. Or maybe Locke was full of poo poo, and Eisenhorn's face is just like that anyway.

Also, though he grows throughout the series, Gregor starts out with Empathic psyker abilities, it could be him sending a pulse of " :)" at the person he's talking to. So his face is a rubber mask, but he can be perceived, when necessary as having some mobility.

Abnett is real good with leveraging continuity errors as later story hooks, I'm thinking of the whole Dalin and Ya/Yoncy thing, as well as the fact that several named Tanith ghosts are killed repeatedly through the Founding and The Saint arcs.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

You've been a one person army convincing me to check out Warhammer Crime and I'm VERY close to pulling the trigger drat you

I never replied to this. They're real good.

I hope they do a re-badge (...:v:) of Shira Calpurnia omnibus under this imprint as well.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Unrelated, but after The Lost and the Damned, I’m reading Avenging son. I’m only a couple hundred pages in but it’s real good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Today's Black Library article on Warhammer Community was just a review of the Primarch series, but they did reveal at the end that next up is Alpharius/Omegon, which I'm looking forward to...as long as the author is worth a drat.

Also I finished the last ~20% of The Regent's Shadow last night in a fit of insomnia over a job interview later today, and it was a really ripping read. Chris Wraight really delivered and I'm interested to see what if anything is next in the series.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I always read it as Eisenhorn "smiling" in the sense that he's happy or whatever, but the person he's talking to only seeing a neutral expression.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SardonicTyrant posted:

I always read it as Eisenhorn "smiling" in the sense that he's happy or whatever, but the person he's talking to only seeing a neutral expression.

That’s how I read it. Also wasn’t it just his lips that were paralyzed? You smile with more than your lips.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Moose-Alini posted:

Unrelated, but after The Lost and the Damned, I’m reading Avenging son. I’m only a couple hundred pages in but it’s real good.

Agreed, don't miss this, or Warhammer Crime (including the audio drama)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Silly Newbie posted:

Anyone have a recommended reading list of Abnett's 40k but non-HH work?
I've read Haunt's Ghosts and the Eisenhorn/Ravenor stuff, and I'm not sure where to go next. I just really like his style of "good and compelling novels that happen to take place in the 40k universe".

I heard good things about Brothers of the Snake and Titanicus but haven't gotten to them myself yet.

Make sure you got The Magos if you liked Eisenhorn & Ravenor, it collects the short stories, adds a new novella, and has a reading order.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bagrada posted:

I heard good things about Brothers of the Snake and Titanicus but haven't gotten to them myself yet.

Make sure you got The Magos if you liked Eisenhorn & Ravenor, it collects the short stories, adds a new novella, and has a reading order.

Seconded. Brothers of the Snake and Titanicus are both great, but as Bagrada said you should read Magos first since you just read Eisenhorn/Ravenor. Also, you should read Pariah. The reading order between Magos and Pariah is debated. Magos comes first chronologically but they were released in reverse order and Magos kind of spoils a twist for Pariah. Abnett is currently writing the Pariah sequel right now so we'll probably see that within a year or so. Double Eagle is the only other Abnett book I haven't read that I hear good things about.

Once you've finished the collected Abnett works you should move onto Chris Wraight and Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I always just figured that being a successful, well-connected and very rich inquisitor, Eisenhorn could get access to the higher levels of restorative medicine the Imperium is capable of, which might be sufficient to repair the damage.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

D-Pad posted:

Seconded. Brothers of the Snake and Titanicus are both great, but as Bagrada said you should read Magos first since you just read Eisenhorn/Ravenor. Also, you should read Pariah. The reading order between Magos and Pariah is debated. Magos comes first chronologically but they were released in reverse order and Magos kind of spoils a twist for Pariah. Abnett is currently writing the Pariah sequel right now so we'll probably see that within a year or so. Double Eagle is the only other Abnett book I haven't read that I hear good things about.

Once you've finished the collected Abnett works you should move onto Chris Wraight and Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

I appreciate the help, all. I've read Pariah, and have been waiting for the next for a while. I think I have Magos? Things people are saying sound familiar. Guess I just have to read all 8 again, in order, oh well.
I feel like I've read Titanicus, but I may have missed Double Eagle, thanks!
I read a lot, and sometimes it blurs together.

Facehammer posted:

I always just figured that being a successful, well-connected and very rich inquisitor, Eisenhorn could get access to the higher levels of restorative medicine the Imperium is capable of, which might be sufficient to repair the damage.

I thought the facial paralysis was made a big deal of quite a lot after it happened, up until the end, but I'm apparently about to do a re-read, and watch for smiling after he gets Locke'd, so I'll try to remember to report back.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Facehammer posted:

I think it explicitly calls out the fact that the damage was so severe/specific that it can't be repaired, and that fact gets brought up a couple times through books two and three.

It's admittedly been at least two years since the last time I read the omnibus, so I might be misremembering.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

thocan posted:

I think it explicitly calls out the fact that the damage was so severe/specific that it can't be repaired, and that fact gets brought up a couple times through books two and three.

It's admittedly been at least two years since the last time I read the omnibus, so I might be misremembering.

I remember the same.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm currently reading the second one and he definitely smiles at his buddies occasionally, and then a few chapters later Abnett with remember that he can't smile and be like "he would have smiled if his nerves weren't frozen" so its pretty funny.

Its not really a big deal, the whole "no-smiling" thing is a silly and funny premise anyway in a good way. There isn't much to smile about in the dark future so he isn't missing much.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the current hot list for the last ~2 years or so?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

There's an actual reading order in Magos, mostly to help fit the short stories in between novels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The weird thing is, my copy of Magos is the same format as my copies of the individual trilogy novels, and they all have the relevant short stories in them anyway. I have no idea why GW published them twice in the same format :iiam:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

victrix posted:

Watchers of the Throne 1 & 2. Vaults of Terra 1 & 2. Spears of the Emperor. Lords of Silence. The Great Work. Avenging Son. Bloodlines. No Good Men. Horusian Wars 1-3. Devastation of Baal. The two Dark Imperium books if you want to catch up more on the lore, although they aren't as good as the others I have listed. If you are interested in HH stuff all 4 Siege of Terra books + Valdor.

All of those are worth your time and cover a wide range of subjects so pick what you are interested in. Except the first two series, those are mandatory.

Does anybody think it might be time for a new OP?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would accept a new OP as long as the current book guide remains intact (or updated) because it did a brilliant job of getting me into 40k.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also I finished Bloodlines and holy crap was that ending abrupt. Made me miss how Abnett takes his time with his.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Watchers of the Throne 1 & 2. Vaults of Terra 1 & 2. Spears of the Emperor. Lords of Silence. The Great Work. Avenging Son. Bloodlines. No Good Men. Horusian Wars 1-3. Devastation of Baal. The two Dark Imperium books if you want to catch up more on the lore, although they aren't as good as the others I have listed. If you are interested in HH stuff all 4 Siege of Terra books + Valdor.

All of those are worth your time and cover a wide range of subjects so pick what you are interested in. Except the first two series, those are mandatory.

Does anybody think it might be time for a new OP?

Thanks, this'll keep me for a busy

I guess uh, something big happened to the galaxy

Also why the hell is devastation of baal available in audiobook or french kindle, but not english kindle :psyduck:

edit: What the hell are these Primaris Space Marines :psyduck:

victrix fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 10, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would accept a new OP as long as the current book guide remains intact (or updated) because it did a brilliant job of getting me into 40k.

It pretty much just needs the addition of a strong recommendation for Carrion Throne.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm currently reading the second one and he definitely smiles at his buddies occasionally, and then a few chapters later Abnett with remember that he can't smile and be like "he would have smiled if his nerves weren't frozen" so its pretty funny.

Its not really a big deal, the whole "no-smiling" thing is a silly and funny premise anyway in a good way. There isn't much to smile about in the dark future so he isn't missing much.

In either the second or third book he gets a girlfriend, sort of, and I found it hilarious to imagine him smooching and trying to be all sexy with a Max Payne 1-style permanent grimace :v:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

victrix posted:

They're an excuse for GW to make marine kits that don't look weird and dumpy. Also all new gijoe vehicles.

Lore wise poo poo was getting too grim dark so they rolled out the biggly marines and a primarch to give the imperium a fighting chance. After the Heresy Guilliman gave a Magos named Cawl the Emperor's notes and told him to make some better marines. It took a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

victrix posted:

The Eye of Medusa and the Voice of Mars are good pre-primaris space marine books if you're brokebrained like me and like the Iron Hands

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

victrix posted:

Thanks, this'll keep me for a busy

I guess uh, something big happened to the galaxy

Also why the hell is devastation of baal available in audiobook or french kindle, but not english kindle :psyduck:

You know I hadn't thought about it, but for someone in your situation that doesn't know the new big lore the best thing to do would be to read Watchers of the Throne: Emperor's Legion then Avenging Son and then Watchers of the Throne: Regent''s Shadow. That will cover the big stuff from a narrative viewpoint. I think it would be more enjoyable to learn about Primaris and the rest that way than reading the wikis or whatever.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Dark Imperium is full on “check out this new stuff” but it’s not really a great book.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Moose-Alini posted:

Dark Imperium is full on “check out this new stuff” but it’s not really a great book.

Agree, it reminded me of those old Transformers/GI Joe movies/episodes back in the 80s that were clearly just to introduce new characters and vehicles in order to get little Billy to nag his parents for new toys.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I really liked that paragraph where the heretic astartes meets an impulsor for the first time, though.

Chaos pancakes, mmmmm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The part in Xenos where Eisenhorn describes seeing a Heretic Astartes really left an impression on me and made me want to play CSM.

And also read the HH books cause I guess that's how I would get my Heretic Astartes fix.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

The part in Xenos where Eisenhorn describes seeing a Heretic Astartes really left an impression on me and made me want to play CSM.

And also read the HH books cause I guess that's how I would get my Heretic Astartes fix.

Read Night Lords!!!!!!!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose-Alini posted:

I really liked that paragraph where the heretic astartes meets an impulsor for the first time, though.

Is that the one where the CSM mocked the BigMar for being a new toy and then proceeded to mock the OldMar because they were getting replaced? That one was good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dark Imperium/Plague War also does have some interesting moments where Guilliman is struggling to come to grips with what's become of the Imperium. Also some amusing Nurgle stuff. But yeah, it's mostly bolter porn and "check out dese new Marines!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Read Lords of Silence, that where the really good Nurgle stuff is.