Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

gently caress "believe the science". Science literally doesn't work that way, it's not a belief system. It's a process, we trust the process as long as it's followed correctly .... and we NEVER 100% buy into the results, we accept them as being the best possible at this time, given the current data and the current testing until someone else comes along with a more complete result or someone reviews it and finds fault with it.

If the process isn't followed correctly (for example, steps in the process are skipped over to speed up delivery of final product) then we can sure as hell cast doubt on the results because that's lovely science.

You don't place 100% trust in any old fucker just because they're wearing a white lab coat, and you never treat the current science as dogma

E: especially if the science is profit driven

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have faith in the scientific method

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's gonna be so cool when there is a vaccine and everyone keeps dying because no one takes it and it'll be a fight between "I'm antivax and I won't take this" and "I'm not an antivax but...." and every other country is fine and the US just voluntarily keeps this all going on some dumb endless culture war to the death.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of idiots think science means the conclusion and not the process. The result has been wrong before, but the way we found out it was wrong was by sciencing it even harder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's gonna be so cool when there is a vaccine and everyone keeps dying because no one takes it and it'll be a fight between "I'm antivax and I won't take this" and "I'm not an antivax but...." and every other country is fine and the US just voluntarily keeps this all going on some dumb endless culture war to the death.

Yeah that’s unironically the better of the two possibilities remaining in this timeline.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

xtal posted:

A lot of idiots think science means the conclusion and not the process. The result has been wrong before, but the way we found out it was wrong was by sciencing it even harder.

All I can do is listen to the actual researchers and scientists that are making the vaccine. I am not going to listen to lovely politicians like biden or trump who give out faux expertise 24/7. The absolute last thing I want to do is get my views on medicine from people that tell me to buy shotguns to shoot in the air or people that wonder out loud if we should be shooting light guns into our mouths or gargling bleach.

I am not going to get my medical advice from a facebook meme, like the exact situation that led to the loving measles coming back in 2015 or whatever that we all made fun of.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh I don't even think it's going to get that far.

quote:

The first major change to beset the testing system is entirely because of Trump. Two weeks ago, the CDC changed its official guidance about when Americans should get a coronavirus test. The agency had once maintained that everyone who was exposed to the virus should get tested for it. Now it altered this advice: If someone was exposed to the virus but did not yet have symptoms of COVID-19, they did not necessarily need a test, the guidance said.

The edit was small but significant. It also made no sense. Scientists have known for months that people can spread the coronavirus before they develop symptoms of COVID-19, and some evidence suggests that truly asymptomatic people—that is, those who are infected but never develop symptoms—may be more efficient spreaders than anyone else. The only way to distinguish between a healthy person and an asymptomatic person who has COVID-19 is to test them. But this is exactly what the CDC now recommends against.

“To say you don’t have to test asymptomatic people—while knowing at least half of infections are driven by asymptomatic people—is idiotic,” Kristian Andersen, an immunology professor at Scripps Research, told us.

tl;dr: The White House is anti-testing and pro-herd immunity (that may not even exist) and they're actively hampering results to fight COVID

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/how-many-people-america-testing-coronavirus/616249/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can thank Trump for absolutely all of this.

That's why I mentioned that at this point in time I'd trust a vaccine that doesn't come from the US since they seem to be actually doing responsible testing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Another Bill posted:

I have faith in the scientific method

It's actually a bit shaky at the moment, there's been a bunch of problems with people gaming the peer review system or falsifying data or paying to get their paper printed in a shonky "publication"

That's not even going into the Trump administration's relentless attack on scientific establishments and environmental safeguards

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

coronavirus posted:

All I can do is listen to the actual researchers and scientists that are making the vaccine. I am not going to listen to lovely politicians like biden or trump who give out faux expertise 24/7. The absolute last thing I want to do is get my views on medicine from people that tell me to buy shotguns to shoot in the air or people that wonder out loud if we should be shooting light guns into our mouths or gargling bleach.

I am not going to get my medical advice from a facebook meme, like the exact situation that led to the loving measles coming back in 2015 or whatever that we all made fun of.

What do you do when two different scientists tell you different things?

How will you tell which one was paid off, which one's under a gag order?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 10, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

What do you do when two different scientists tell you different things?

How will you tell which one was paid off?

Reproducibility, it's part of what makes the method so great

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

xtal posted:

Reproducibility, it's part of what makes the method so great

Right, i trust you do and know what that means. Given that coronavirus plans to listen to the people making the vaccine, i have huge doubts they even know what that word means.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wait, so it’s possible to have COVID but never show symptoms at all? Like even 2 weeks or longer after infection?

I asked one of my local testing places about getting myself tested after my personal trainer came down with “COVID-like symptoms” back in July, and they said that nobody in town would test me unless I had symptoms. It’s been 3 months since then, but should I still try to get drive-thru tested just in case?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Yes.

Get an antibody test.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I. M. Gei posted:

Wait, so it’s possible to have COVID but never show symptoms at all? Like even 2 weeks or longer after infection?

I asked one of my local testing places about getting myself tested after my personal trainer came down with “COVID-like symptoms” back in July, and they said that nobody in town would test me unless I had symptoms. It’s been 3 months since then, but should I still try to get drive-thru tested just in case?
Yes it is possible but if that was 3 months ago, it's unlikely it's still in your system. Try an antibody test if you have one available.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just saw on the local news that you can get both covid and the flu at the same time! Woohoo!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just saw on the local news that you can get both covid and the flu at the same time! Woohoo!

Of course you can, they're two totally different viruses. You could even have those two alongside a common cold and herpes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmBj8r1-fDo

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Flu season is looking to be bad too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

coronavirus posted:

You aren't pro-vax.

This creepy anti-vax poo poo coming from the kamala left is embarassing. We are supposed to be the "believe the science" guys, not the crystals and feelings wackadoos

classic coronavirus post

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

xtal posted:

Of course you can, they're two totally different viruses. You could even have those two alongside a common cold and herpes.

I wonder how people are going to handle it. Because a lot of covid symptoms are the same as the flu. So I'm guessing that both, a lot of people won't go to the hospital because they think it isn't so bad when it really is, and also they'll be flooding to the hospital because they think they have the rona.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mithaldu posted:

Yes.

Get an antibody test.

Is this something I can do for free?

How do I find a testing center? How accurate are the results?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Mithaldu posted:

Get an antibody test.

It probably won't tell you anything useful (since antibodies don't necessarily mean you're immune).

It may not tell you anything at all (since you may not have generated antibodies at all, or they may have faded).

Neither outcome of an antibody test should change your behavior, so it doesn't seem worth the time and effort (or the risk of going to a medical facility or testing site).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

I. M. Gei posted:

In the US? Lol.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

It would be cool to have a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. themed wedding. Matching his and hers gas masks for the happy new couple :ohdear:

Don't get her a ring, get her a Shadow of Chernobyl-era Flash artifact.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

It probably won't tell you anything useful (since antibodies don't necessarily mean you're immune).

It may not tell you anything at all (since you may not have generated antibodies at all, or they may have faded).

Neither outcome of an antibody test should change your behavior, so it doesn't seem worth the time and effort (or the risk of going to a medical facility or testing site).

Also there's several different strains of COVID-19 going around and it turns out if you catch one you could also catch a different one later on, and have even worse symptoms!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-reinfection-hong-kong-man-different-strain/
https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/nevada-man-becomes-first-in-the-us-to-catch-covid-19-twice/

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

I. M. Gei posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

How do I find a testing center? How accurate are the results?

Did anyone else have these posts from March randomly show up in the thread just now? Goddamn Radium.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mithaldu posted:

Right, i trust you do and know what that means. Given that coronavirus plans to listen to the people making the vaccine, i have huge doubts they even know what that word means.

Keep asking more researchers and scientists till I am happy.

I am not going to avoid any USA vaccine simply because of politics. Not interested in the covid heart/brain damage or killing someones grandma. Although you are right to question the health authorities and their motives. There was a bunch of us on here in March that said "wtf, masks are bad?" that still went out and bought a mask when the W.H.O. was pretending they werent helpful.

I am not going to be another measles mum from Cali. Gimme the loving shot. Call me naive to believe that all 6 of the medical companies working on these aren't going to rush them through being patently unsafe.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 10, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also when Trump talks about downplaying the virus because he didn't want to cause a panic he was undoubtedly thinking of the stock market and not the general populace. He LOVES whipping the general populace up into a panic, especially when he can blame it on others.

I really don't want to keep going back to politics in this thread, but IIRC there was either a tweet or an actual article hypothesizing something to this exact effect, that he intentionally says bullshit to distract from some other evil thing he's doing behind the scenes, because the timing of the examples they used were a little too convenient.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The kids aren't alright

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1303921024350724102

quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it has received reports of 792 confirmed cases of a rare condition linked to COVID-19. The condition, called Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), was also associated with 16 deaths reported in 42 states, New York City and Washington, D.C., as of last Thursday.

Nearly all the cases were in kids who tested positive for the coronavirus, while the rest were among those who were around someone with COVID-19. More than 70% of cases have been in kids who are Hispanic/Latino or Black, according to the CDC.

Most kids developed the condition 2-4 weeks after being infected, according to the agency.

Children with the condition can experience inflammation in the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes or gastrointestinal organs. They may also have a fever, and symptoms include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes and feeling extra tired, the CDC said.

"MIS-C is a new syndrome, and many questions remain about why some children develop it after a COVID-19 illness or contact with someone with COVID-19, while others do not," it said.

Data released by Florida's health department Tuesday shows that 64 children in the state have been diagnosed with the condition. An additional case was reported in the state in a 20-year-old.

The health department didn't say when 14 of the total 65 cases in the state were diagnosed. The other cases were diagnosed between May 15, when a 14-year-old boy in Miami-Dade County was confirmed to have the syndrome, and August 18.

More than 500,000 children across the U.S. have tested positive for the coronavirus since the pandemic started, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). The group said this week that children have represented 9.8% of all COVID-19 cases in the country, where more than 6.3 million total cases have been reported, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I wonder how people are going to handle it. Because a lot of covid symptoms are the same as the flu. So I'm guessing that both, a lot of people won't go to the hospital because they think it isn't so bad when it really is, and also they'll be flooding to the hospital because they think they have the rona.
When it comes down to it, just about every virus has similar obvious symptoms because those symptoms are mostly your body's angry, dumb quick-reaction immune system trying to eliminate, slow down, or kill an invader to the point where it may even kill you in the process. Cough, sneeze, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, fever...

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Thanks for the reminder. Just made an appointment for my flu shot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1303876100142116864

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I. M. Gei posted:

We're 6 months into the pandemic and people still don't know basic stuff like this? I mean I'm not surprised, I just have a hard time picturing how people don't even passively absorb this information.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

If...IF people adhere to masks and hand washing more than usual then this flu season will be one of the weakest in recent memory which is great.

Then again I've had to educate patients that no, despite what your family members say you cannot get the flu from the flu shot.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fenarisk posted:

Then again I've had to educate patients that no, despite what your family members say you cannot get the flu from the flu shot.

I've never been so excited to get my flu shot. I'm counting down the days like a kid at christmas, right now its only available for high risk/seniors in my area

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I. M. Gei posted:

I think if you feel you've been exposed but don't have symptoms just lie, say you have symptoms and get the test.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Outrail posted:

I think if you feel you've been exposed but don't have symptoms just lie, say you have symptoms and get the test.

if you've been exposed but don't have the symptoms just stress yourself into a severe psychogenic fever so you have symptoms

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

food court bailiff posted:

if you've been exposed but don't have the symptoms just stress yourself into a severe psychogenic fever so you have symptoms
Yeah anxiety attacks can cause shortness of breath, so check that box there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

coronavirus posted:

I am not going to avoid any USA vaccine simply because of politics. Not interested in the covid heart/brain damage

what if the vaccine gives you heart/brain damage? what then, huh smart virus, what then?