Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MikeC posted:

I just updated the build post. Will update again vigorously throughout October and November as the dribbles of new hardware come out.

Yeah, things are kind of up in the air for the mid-high end with RTX 3070 coming out in October sometime and the Zen 3 announcement just being...announced... for October 8th too.

IF we're lucky, both will be actual products you can buy for MSRP at the same time in mid-late October and everyone will get more performance for their dollar.

My take goes something like this:

1) If you were going to spend anywhere near $500 on the graphics card anyway, you kind of just have to wait until the RTX 3070 is a real thing you can buy at MSRP, because everything near that money will likely just look stupid by comparison. Usual disclaimer about "wait for real reviews/benchmarks" applies, but barring literal fraud by nvidia, the RTX 3070 is 2080 Ti performance at $499 MSRP, which is just crazy good.
2) Zen 3's value proposition is way more vague because of the near-total lack of solid leaks/rumors, but it would have to be a gross dud to not give more performance per dollar than the Zen 2 you can by now, though it's very much an open question of how much more and if we really need to give a poo poo. Especially since GPU performance is more important than CPU performance for games just in general. OTOH if a Zen 3 5600 or whatever the gently caress they call it will super turbo hellfuck a i5-10600K in games AND everything else for like $200 bucks while drawing half the power, it would be dumb to just not wait 6 weeks or whatever and buy that instead.
3) If Zen 3 becomes the way to go, almost everyone should get a mobo that lets you update the BIOS from USB without a CPU installed, because not every board will have the BIOS update to support Zen 3 on launch day. Otherwise it could be a big pain in the rear end.
4) I don't know that the entry level/bargain recs really change much. RTX 3060 or whatever probably isn't a real thing until 2021, bargain Zen 3 will be nice too but also not really vital at that price/performance bracket either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sticko posted:

- I've seen Crucial Ballistix ram recommended over the G.Skills Ripjaws. The crucial is approx 50% more, so is it actually worth the extra?
- Should I get extra case fans (or anything else)

Absolutely not. Especially with getting 32GB now, you won't need to put in 2 more sticks. Extra compatibility is the main reason to do the crucial, the performance gains are zero or tiny.

A pair of 140mm front fans is a good idea in the meshify.

Nowher posted:

Ha, I'm curious which is the worst one? I'm using the Gigabyte software and yikes...
The NZTX software is popularly ragged on because it had a habit of using enough system resources to cause slowdowns in games. But at least that seems like a functional program despite being a hog. I've experienced MSI's utility software for their mobos and it's complete crap, so that would have been my answer. But gigabyte's could very well be a tie!

If you use a single static color I think you can set that in the BIOS and then not need to use the software?

uXs posted:

I wanted an RGB fan but I'm rapidly discovering that the RGB ecosystem is a horrible, horrible mess where nothing is compatible with anything else so gently caress it.

This is why corsair etc are able to sell expensive kits and controllers and $40 fans.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah electronics repair kit is definitely what I'm looking for.

I have the Mako, but after using it for a bit I recommend the Pro Tech Toolkit, depending on what you already have and if you expect you'll be opening things that are clipped shut in the future.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use this kit and it works pretty well while being under 20 bucks. I've used it quite often for small screws / putting my PC together etc.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Klyith posted:

This is why corsair etc are able to sell expensive kits and controllers and $40 fans.

Joke's on them, I'm returning the LL140 I bought because the RGB cable doesn't even fit on anything I have. gently caress buying another controller when I already have a bunch of connectors on my board AND a separate controller in my case.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm slowly starting to put everything together and I now absolutely love the look of this motherboard. It's still definitely not worth the price, but it takes great photos, and I'm all about striking a balance between good aesthetics and quality performance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WampaLord posted:

Thanks!

It's funny, I had a Hyper 212 evo in my old machine, still apparently one of the best.

I really like the Hyper 212 Evo Black that I have because my machine is BLACK PRO SERIOUS BUSINESS NO FUN ALLOWED. I have the old-style AM4 mounting kit and it was honestly not even that bad. Just be careful and plan out what you attach. The new kit is supposedly a lot better.

For what it's worth, my graphics card fans are certainly louder than the cooler fan when I'm playin games.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sean10mm posted:

3) If Zen 3 becomes the way to go, almost everyone should get a mobo that lets you update the BIOS from USB without a CPU installed, because not every board will have the BIOS update to support Zen 3 on launch day. Otherwise it could be a big pain in the rear end.

How would you know this before purchasing? Something that certain manufacturers do or is it listed somewhere in the specs in more technical verbiage?

I've waited this long, what's another few weeks. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

How would you know this before purchasing? Something that certain manufacturers do or is it listed somewhere in the specs in more technical verbiage?

I've waited this long, what's another few weeks. :v:

Look to see if it has a FLASH BIOS button on the back panel next to a USB port.

Different manufacturers have different names for it (BIOS Flashback, Q-Flash Plus, etc.) but it works the same way. Boards without the button don't do BIOS updates without a recognized CPU in the slot, which is a problem when you need to update the BIOS to recognize the CPU. :haw:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Some Goon posted:

About the only part of a computer that needs a tool anymore is the M.2 drive and maybe a hsf if it doesn't come with one, but the iFixit screwdriver set is as nice as everyone says it is, provided you ever have a use for the various bits it comes with, it's very much an electronics repair kit and not a general tool.

They can be pretty handy even if you aren't dealing with electronics all that often too, there's quite a lot of weird screw heads out there on random stuff these days.

Recently the glove box latch broke on my car and I needed some asterisk looking screwdriver with a little hole in it to take it apart and fix. I was pretty happy I had one in the 64 part kit!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think Zen 3 is going to make B550 boards look better than X570 for more people, because from what I can tell none of the reasonably priced <$200 X570 boards have BIOS flashback, while even the $110 B550M Pro-VDH has it. And nobody is going to want to gamble on getting a mobo that doesn't have the latest BIOS and goes LOLWUT when you stick a Zen 3 in it.

Even if you're greedy for stuff like 12+ phase power delivery and 6 layer PCBs for your :pcgaming: ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE :pcgaming: something like the $169.99 B550 Aorus Pro gets you that plus BIOS flashback and other goodies that the entry level X570 boards don't, while being similarly "over-built" for EXTREME LOADS (that it's probably never gonna see from your 65-105W TDP AMD CPU.)

If your use case really needs X570's extra PCIe lanes then jumping up to a $220 X570 Tomahawk is going to be the least of your PC expenses.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm thinking of buying this NVMe M.2 ssd, is that a good idea or does someone have a better recommendation?

Also, I'm installing this on a X570 Aorus Elite. I assume there will be no performance issues regardless of which slot I use?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Elman posted:

I'm thinking of buying this NVMe M.2 ssd, is that a good idea or does someone have a better recommendation?

Also, I'm installing this on a X570 Aorus Elite. I assume there will be no performance issues regardless of which slot I use?

SN550 is a better main drive and the price is the same.

On an X570 the slot shouldn't matter, they're all PCIe 4.0 x4 slots.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I think Zen 3 is going to make B550 boards look better than X570 for more people, because from what I can tell none of the reasonably priced <$200 X570 boards have BIOS flashback, while even the $110 B550M Pro-VDH has it. And nobody is going to want to gamble on getting a mobo that doesn't have the latest BIOS and goes LOLWUT when you stick a Zen 3 in it.

Even if you're greedy for stuff like 12+ phase power delivery and 6 layer PCBs for your :pcgaming: ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE :pcgaming: something like the $169.99 B550 Aorus Pro gets you that plus BIOS flashback and other goodies that the entry level X570 boards don't, while being similarly "over-built" for EXTREME LOADS (that it's probably never gonna see from your 65-105W TDP AMD CPU.)

If your use case really needs X570's extra PCIe lanes then jumping up to a $220 X570 Tomahawk is going to be the least of your PC expenses.

I guess it's good that I'm a paypig and getting the MSI Unify that has the BIOS Flash. I wonder when the new Ryzen chips will actually be available, as since I am waiting on getting my hands on a 3080 anyway, that may push everything back far enough to wait for the new CPUs

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Samadhi posted:

I guess it's good that I'm a paypig and getting the MSI Unify that has the BIOS Flash. I wonder when the new Ryzen chips will actually be available, as since I am waiting on getting my hands on a 3080 anyway, that may push everything back far enough to wait for the new CPUs

BIOS Flash is 100% worth it and I don’t think I’d buy a board without it again

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Continuing my trend of dumb, exploratory questions:

I'm gonna do a build in a month or three; I'll probably end up using a Zen3 whatever or falling back to a Zen2 if there isn't actually a performance gain worth the price. I'll definitely be grabbing a 3070 or 3080. I definitely haven't picked out anything else while waiting on those dominoes to fall, and I'll be building from scratch.

All that said, it seems like there is no particular reason to wait to figure that stuff out to pick out a PSU so long as I don't end up choosing something extravagantly large or whatever. Also, from what I understand, buying a good power supply right now is roughly comparable in difficulty to buying a loving webcam. So, given that, I feel like I should at least know what I'm looking for and set up some in-stock or price alerts or whatever, so that I can just jump on something when it shows up.

Is this a good idea? If it is a good idea, halp, what should I look for to figure out what a good, flexible, relatively future proof power supply looks like and costs, given my goals above?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Generally buying parts ahead of time when you don't have the means to test them since dealing with warranty service is much much more difficult than returning a faulty part to where you bought it.

Also, while overpriced I don't think PSUs are unavailable in the same way webcams and printers are, but I haven't been paying close attention.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello again PC Building thread. I'm back with a better idea of what I'd like to build.

I'm still piecing it together, but so far I'm looking for:
-2560x1440 @ 120+Hz monitor
-Medium-ish size (form factor is not a big deal)
-Good airflow and circulation, reliable fans
-At least 1TB SSD and 4TB HDD
-CD/DVD/BRD read/write/burn would be nice
-Will also need a good wifi adapter
-$1,500-ish budget for computer (not including monitor)

That's a framework, but I need help figuring out my core components. I haven't build a computer in 6+ years, so I don't know much about today's PC parts. I'm looking to go with cost-effective mid-to-high end parts. How much RAM should I go for, is 16GB still the recommendation?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

literally this big posted:

Hello again PC Building thread. I'm back with a better idea of what I'd like to build.

I'm still piecing it together, but so far I'm looking for:
-2560x1440 @ 120+Hz monitor
-Medium-ish size (form factor is not a big deal)
-Good airflow and circulation, reliable fans
-At least 1TB SSD and 4TB HDD
-CD/DVD/BRD read/write/burn would be nice
-Will also need a good wifi adapter
-$1,500-ish budget for computer (not including monitor)

That's a framework, but I need help figuring out my core components. I haven't build a computer in 6+ years, so I don't know much about today's PC parts. I'm looking to go with cost-effective mid-to-high end parts. How much RAM should I go for, is 16GB still the recommendation?

What's it for? Just gaming or anything else?

And if you want "cost effective" you probably want to wait until October-November for the RTX 3070 and maybe the new AMD CPUs to come out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Basically anyone not looking for a 1080p60 machine should wait at this point, if reviews come back anywhere near Nvidia's marketing buying now is just lightning money on fire

If you have anything besides media on your bulk storage I advise just getting as much SSD space as possible for the price and forgoing the HDD, they're just downright unpleasant to use once you've gotten used to SSDs. Also, if you have that much to store, you do have proper backup(s), yes? Hard drive failure is a bitch and a half, anything irreplaceable needs to be on multiple drives, in multiple locations if you can't afford data loss if your house burns down.

Once the parts you want become available: optical drives are slower than USB so you can get an external with no data loss, and wifi cards don't get benchmarked (if anyone knows a publication than benchmarks wifi cards lmk) so any card that supports ac from one of the big networking brands (tp-link, Linksys, netgear, etc) can only be assumed to be as good as any other. Antennae on a wire might offer better performance, if powerline Ethernet is an option its way, way better than wifi.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

sean10mm posted:

What's it for? Just gaming or anything else?
Gaming (all genres), streaming, video editing, browsing, general goony "Power User" stuff.

quote:

And if you want "cost effective" you probably want to wait until October-November for the RTX 3070 and maybe the new AMD CPUs to come out.

Some Goon posted:

Basically anyone not looking for a 1080p60 machine should wait at this point, if reviews come back anywhere near Nvidia's marketing buying now is just lightning money on fire
Is the point of waiting so that all the current-gen stuff goes on sale?

quote:

If you have anything besides media on your bulk storage I advise just getting as much SSD space as possible for the price and forgoing the HDD, they're just downright unpleasant to use once you've gotten used to SSDs.
I currently have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I like it. I like being able to choose between having important programs on the SSD, and lower priority stuff on the HDD.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nvidia is saying they'll double perf/$ with the new cards, so either the old cards will have to get hella cheap or you'll get a new card that will blow away anything available now.

Actual reviews aren't out yet so it probably won't be quite that good, but expectations are very high.

E: I had the same storage setup until I picked up a 1tb SSD in January. It sounds fine in theory but in practical terms once you have the option of SSD storage anything that can be will be moved off the HDD. If you have a bigass blu-ray / flac collection HDDs still make sense, otherwise I'd say to go without and just get another 2tb SSD.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gaming (all genres), streaming, video editing, browsing, general goony "Power User" stuff.

Is the point of waiting so that all the current-gen stuff goes on sale?

I currently have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I like it. I like being able to choose between having important programs on the SSD, and lower priority stuff on the HDD.

Oh a 256gb SSD? You can fit call if duty and uh..... Windows I guess?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Some Goon posted:

Nvidia is saying they'll double perf/$ with the new cards, so either the old cards will have to get hella cheap or you'll get a new card that will blow away anything available now
That's good to know, but does that affect anything other than video cards? Can I get the rest of it now and use a placeholder card?

quote:

E: I had the same storage setup until I picked up a 1tb SSD in January. It sounds fine in theory but in practical terms once you have the option of SSD storage anything that can be will be moved off the HDD. If you have a bigass blu-ray / flac collection HDDs still make sense, otherwise I'd say to go without and just get another 2tb SSD.
I do have a large collection of music, videos, photography, programs, projects, games, etc., so I'd like a big HDD to keep it all on. Even if I got a 2TB SSD (maybe not a bad idea), I still think I'd want a large HDD for all the extra stuff I collect over the years.

Kingnothing posted:

Oh a 256gb SSD? You can fit call if duty and uh..... Windows I guess?
I only have a few games installed at a time so it's never really been an issue. A 4x larger SSD would allow me to have more games installed at once, but I'd still but be rotating them out on occasion based on usage.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
hey hivemind, I need some buying advice. I am thinking about upgrading my gaming PC. currently the cpu is an amd fx8350 (8 cores at 4.0ghz) and the gpu is an amd radeon RX 580, and what I'm using as my litmus test is that I've been playing a lot of hunt showdown lately and I've been squeaking out around 40 fps with high/mid settings. My two primary monitors are just some random dell monitors, and I've got 16gb (2x8gb) of RAM. I don't have an exact budget, I'd just like to be able to replace the lowest performing part and spend in the neighborhood of 200 max to be able to run hunt at closer to 60 fps with high graphics settings possibly? I'm also in the US.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That's good to know, but does that affect anything other than video cards? Can I get the rest of it now and use a placeholder card?

I do have a large collection of music, videos, photography, programs, projects, games, etc., so I'd like a big HDD to keep it all on. Even if I got a 2TB SSD (maybe not a bad idea), I still think I'd want a large HDD for all the extra stuff I collect over the years.

I only have a few games installed at a time so it's never really been an issue. A 4x larger SSD would allow me to have more games installed at once, but I'd still but be rotating them out on occasion based on usage.

AMD is announcing their new processors on October 8th, which might be worth waiting for, but there haven't been any leaks and there's no idea yet on when they'll be available. Otherwise yes, there's no problem with that at all.

If you've got a bunch of stuff that isn't sensitive to load times or are more archival then yeah HDDs make sense. Again, just make sure you have copies saved to multiple drives. This is true for important things on SSDs as well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

redpleb posted:

hey hivemind, I need some buying advice. I am thinking about upgrading my gaming PC. currently the cpu is an amd fx8350 (8 cores at 4.0ghz) and the gpu is an amd radeon RX 580, and what I'm using as my litmus test is that I've been playing a lot of hunt showdown lately and I've been squeaking out around 40 fps with high/mid settings. My two primary monitors are just some random dell monitors, and I've got 16gb (2x8gb) of RAM. I don't have an exact budget, I'd just like to be able to replace the lowest performing part and spend in the neighborhood of 200 max to be able to run hunt at closer to 60 fps with high graphics settings possibly? I'm also in the US.

You're being held back by your processor most likely, the 580 should be able to hit close to 60fps at max settings per the benchmark I found. Unfortunately this involves a new motherboard and ram as well and that will be tricky/impossible at $200, COVID and the upcoming new generation have made pricing wonky lately, if you can wait for their announcement on 10/8 it might shake things up a bit.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Some Goon posted:

AMD is announcing their new processors on October 8th, which might be worth waiting for, but there haven't been any leaks and there's no idea yet on when they'll be available. Otherwise yes, there's no problem with that at all.
So I guess I should start with the case and motherboard and build from there. Where do I get started?

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

Some Goon posted:

You're being held back by your processor most likely, the 580 should be able to hit close to 60fps at max settings per the benchmark I found. Unfortunately this involves a new motherboard and ram as well and that will be tricky/impossible at $200, COVID and the upcoming new generation have made pricing wonky lately, if you can wait for their announcement on 10/8 it might shake things up a bit.

well, that's what I was imagining would be the case. is the advice in the OP about what the recommended cpu is still accurate? otherwise find a compatible motherboard and 16gb of ram? my budget isn't super firm, it's more what I was hoping it would cost and not the absolute ceiling to what I could afford.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've been slowly choosing parts for a system that I want to run a 3840x1600 monitor at 144Hz.

How much should I care about RAM speed, CAS latency, and first word latency?

(Yes, I know the GPU is much more important than the RAM but I don't want to unintentionally bottleneck this thing because I was lazy and just picked whatever RAM seemed popular on pcpartpicker - which is totally what I'm gonna do unless told otherwise.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

redpleb posted:

well, that's what I was imagining would be the case. is the advice in the OP about what the recommended cpu is still accurate? otherwise find a compatible motherboard and 16gb of ram? my budget isn't super firm, it's more what I was hoping it would cost and not the absolute ceiling to what I could afford.

Seconding this question. Haven't kept up with things but looks like Comet Lake architecture is basically 5 years old at this point (with updates but still) and still on 14nm process. AMD, on the other hand, has had what, 2? 3? generation updates and is using 7nm process.

So I'm guessing yes? One of the Ryzens..

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Booted today, BIOS was reset again. (Time at 0:00 and XMP settings lost.)

I flashed the BIOS to a new version.

There's obviously still an issue but it's so hard to diagnose because I can only really test it once a day.

If it happens again, what do I do? Ignore it because at least with this motherboard I can reboot, enable XMP again, and be good for the rest of the day? Or replace some component? Motherboard again, but this time replace with a different brand? (I'm thinking the Asus one with a bazillion USB ports.)

Any other suggestions?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I think I won the silicon lottery? Keep in mind I'm an idiot and know very little about this but I took my system for a test on userbenchmark and it shows my 3700x at 95% while the average is 87%.
I hope I somehow lucked into a slightly better than spec CPU.

Userbenchmark is drat near worthless, especially for modern many-core CPUs. They made it so multicore performance is 2% of the weighted average because Ryzen CPUs were whipping up on Intel chips to the tune of like 50% back when Zen released. They weight single core performance as like 70% of the rating, quad core as 28% and multicore brings up the last 2%.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I've been slowly choosing parts for a system that I want to run a 3840x1600 monitor at 144Hz.

How much should I care about RAM speed, CAS latency, and first word latency?

(Yes, I know the GPU is much more important than the RAM but I don't want to unintentionally bottleneck this thing because I was lazy and just picked whatever RAM seemed popular on pcpartpicker - which is totally what I'm gonna do unless told otherwise.)

Ryzen likes high-speed memory, but 3200 is the important speed to have. 3600 has a measurable improvement but it's into diminishing returns zone. And once you're at 3600 the difference between Cas 16 and Cas 18 is extremely minimal. I frequently recommend crucial ballistix ITT, but that is for compatibility with upgrades to 4 sticks, not because it performs better than cheaper g.skill.

VVV edit: true but how the cpu performs with different ram speeds & timings has been relatively consistent through zen 1, +, and 2 afaik. The big changes & improvements have been in compatibility for the controller.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 11, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

We also don't know if Zen 3 will have different memory preferences. Hopefully it won't call for 4000 speed RAM lmao

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

uXs posted:

Booted today, BIOS was reset again. (Time at 0:00 and XMP settings lost.)

I flashed the BIOS to a new version.

There's obviously still an issue but it's so hard to diagnose because I can only really test it once a day.

If it happens again, what do I do? Ignore it because at least with this motherboard I can reboot, enable XMP again, and be good for the rest of the day? Or replace some component? Motherboard again, but this time replace with a different brand? (I'm thinking the Asus one with a bazillion USB ports.)

Any other suggestions?

How thoroughly have you tested the RAM (e.g. Memtest x86+) and CPU?

Have you tried just loading default settings back into the BIOS? I had a weird issue a while back with crashes that was solved by resetting everything in the BIOS to default and going form there even though I never actually did anything weird with the advanced BIOS settings on that board.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Gearman posted:

I'm slowly starting to put everything together and I now absolutely love the look of this motherboard. It's still definitely not worth the price, but it takes great photos, and I'm all about striking a balance between good aesthetics and quality performance.

Love the look of this. If you are going all black/white I would love to see a completed picture when you are done!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Love the look of this. If you are going all black/white I would love to see a completed picture when you are done!

Yeah, if I was building a PC for looks I would totally use that board. That rules.

It also looks like it's set up differently than most B550 boards and gets around most of the weird "if X is used then Y is turned off" bandwidth juggling, except for the third x16 slot which is a huge so what anyway.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My micro mainboard only has 1 m.2 slot and one available PCIe slot which is just 1x.

Has anyone ever used one of these little things to run an SSD in their PCIe slot? It would not be for boot but just bulk storage. I know that PICe only runs at 8Gbps but that's still 33% faster than SATA.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sintech-NGFF-PCIe-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B07F1J7S3F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Thanks! I am planning to go all black/white. Here's a progress shot with the motherboard, AIO, and top case fan in. I still need to put in two fans on the bottom, the PSU, the extra SSD, and run all the cables. At this rate, I'll probably be able to order a 3080 and have it arrive before I'm done.