Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Bob’s LOB: Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

Bob’s LOB: Law

heh

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Infosec Podcasts 2020

what do y'all recommend, help a guy not want to die in isolation

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
risky.biz

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly they all suck in my experience. Darknet Diaries is the closest one to good. Avoid anything from TWIT, avoid Malicious Life and avoid Cyber. I've been subscribed for years and just skip every episode.

Edited to add Steal This Show (really good) and Hacking Humans (meh)

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 11, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of like how security people are naturally bad at UX, they are also naturally bad at podcasts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Darknet Diaries started off pretty poor but has really improved.

Too bad about the name and some of the conceits (spooky intro music with nerd trying to sound like Unsolved Mysteries narrator, cutesy cyberpunk nicknames.) Just ignore those, the "investigation" is solid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Darknet Diaries started off pretty poor but has really improved.

Too bad about the name and some of the conceits (spooky intro music with nerd trying to sound like Unsolved Mysteries narrator, cutesy cyberpunk nicknames.) Just ignore those, the "investigation" is solid.

i was kind of hoping with his “updating the brand” a while back when he changed logos he’d also take the chance to redo the opening because yeah. otherwise i can give him the dumb names and eye roll gag since it’s always the very last thing and you can stop listening before then.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah Darknet Diaries and risky business are the two good ones. Darknet Diaries has a style that you might need to get into but Jack Rhysider, the host, has a real knack for storytelling so his episodes are almost always interesting and engaging.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

most parents nowadays just give children electronics to shut them up. i feel like an rear end in a top hat because i refuse to give my toddler an ipad.

My rule on this is; at home, go nuts. I watch tv and play video games so I'm not going to be a holier than thou dad about it (especially cause it didn't work for poo poo for my parents)

But when we are out, no matter where, even if it's just the shops - no way champ

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Except for when they have someone really mathy on the soapbox sponsor thing because then they might start talking about stuff that makes me :psyduck:?

E:

abigserve posted:

My rule on this is; at home, go nuts. I watch tv and play video games so I'm not going to be a holier than thou dad about it (especially cause it didn't work for poo poo for my parents)

But when we are out, no matter where, even if it's just the shops - no way champ

:yeah:, I probably give BVMTH too much screen-time but: it's a loving small-rear end apartment with walls an inch thick?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 11, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Schadenboner posted:

:yeah:, I probably give BVMTH too much screen-time but: it's a loving small-rear end apartment with walls an inch thick?

there are different kinds of screen time, too. random youtube toy unboxing vs PBS educational type content vs interactive spatial or reasoning games vs doing mechanical turk tasks to pay for college

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Subjunctive posted:

there are different kinds of screen time, too. random youtube toy unboxing vs PBS educational type content vs interactive spatial or reasoning games vs doing mechanical turk tasks to pay for college

The weird thing is he seems to self-regulate. While there's (way) too much of "Ryan's Family Time" (or whatever that show is) he's also spending a lot of time reading National Geographic on he Fire about the Titanic &c.

Also a lot of shovelware train games.

Kids is weird.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

The weird thing is he seems to self-regulate. While there's (way) too much of "Ryan's Family Time" (or whatever that show is) he's also spending a lot of time reading National Geographic on he Fire about the Titanic &c.

Kids is weird.

trains and boats and the environment are awesome and it’s cool that your kid hasn’t had the joy of learning beaten out of him my the education system

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Subjunctive posted:

seriously ignoring this is the worst mistake parents make about this. it's not about what thing your kid is looking at. it's about what they're seeing on that thing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Schadenboner posted:

the kid of a goon? is into trains??? :monocle:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the kid of a goon? is into trains??? :monocle:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SoundMonkey posted:

seriously ignoring this is the worst mistake parents make about this. it's not about what thing your kid is looking at. it's about what they're seeing on that thing

that's not entirely true. watching and poking a screen all the time versus manipulating books and toys can have an impact on how various motor skills develop, but it requires a pretty serious lack of physical interaction to have a material impact AIUI

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I realize how risky this is to post in this thread of all places with its past, but the poor opsec of it is hard to pass up: trump's twitter account was "hacked" in 2016 because the password was yourefired

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lock your baby in a featureless grey room with nothing but an ipad and some kinda robot nanny to keep them alive and see what happens 18 years later, as a joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

I realize how risky this is to post in this thread of all places with its past, but the poor opsec of it is hard to pass up: trump's twitter account was "hacked" in 2016 because the password was yourefired

quote:

To their surprise, twitter accepted the password, but asked the site for an email address for verification. donaldtrump@trump.com was not accepted, but after some guesswork, the hackers tracked down Trump's correct Twitter email address: twitter@donaldjtrump.com.

it didn't like, email the address and ask you to click a confirmation link, it just wanted you to type the email address :allears:

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

lock your baby in a featureless grey room with nothing but an ipad and some kinda robot nanny to keep them alive and see what happens 18 years later, as a joke

I’ve got a 4 year old going through a real rear end in a top hat phase so don’t tempt me

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shame Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnXvVdy5sxs

:smith:

E: Not super pleased with the quality of the line-read, tbh?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 11, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

an experiment already happening on a vast scale. vast enough in fact that it is unfortunately hard to really control for. mental health issues are on the rise among the young, but as they all grew up with both screens and the decay of society it is not obvious which part is the problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Kids is weird.
Sounds like a perfectly balanced intake if you ask me

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

an experiment already happening on a vast scale. vast enough in fact that it is unfortunately hard to really control for. mental health issues are on the rise among the young, but as they all grew up with both screens and the decay of society it is not obvious which part is the problem.

The thing that really destroys children is roads. Roads everywhere. Used to be you can play in front of the house with the other kids. Now make way for mister automobile. Can't have human spaces. Must pave over everything. Pave pave pave. Mark down park times in your calendar. Hope that you have time and energy to get the poor little ones in the car and make the trip. Can't have regular play time. It must be a loving event.

I miss when we spent summers at my grandparents in bumfuck nowhere. Just running around riding bikes and kicking footballs. The only concern is stray dogs and older kids.

Ban cars. Strip roads. Plant trees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

admit it, though, you were biking on roads

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

The thing that really destroys children is roads. Roads everywhere. Used to be you can play in front of the house with the other kids. Now make way for mister automobile. Can't have human spaces. Must pave over everything. Pave pave pave. Mark down park times in your calendar. Hope that you have time and energy to get the poor little ones in the car and make the trip. Can't have regular play time. It must be a loving event.

I miss when we spent summers at my grandparents in bumfuck nowhere. Just running around riding bikes and kicking footballs. The only concern is stray dogs and older kids.

i grew up in a rural area with lots of road-free space to play outside and explore woods and had friends close enough that they could just walk over to my house basically whenever they wanted and we were free to basically do whatever the heck.

our favoritest thing of all to do was to sit inside and play the nintendos

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

admittedly one of my friends got so good at it that he now makes a living playing the nintendos professionally

jokes on me though, all i got out of it was obesity

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Subjunctive posted:

admit it, though, you were biking on roads

when i said bumfuck nowhere i meant it. no roads at all. just people and their animals. electricity got shut down every day (running on a generator).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when i said bumfuck nowhere i meant it. no roads at all. just people and their animals. electricity got shut down every day (running on a generator).
How did you get there if there were no roads?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
replace all roads with tunnels, treat them like the underclass they are

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Perplx posted:

replace all roads with tunnels, treat them like the underclass they are

Okay Elon.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tunnels for poors? Surely tunnels are only for the rich tesla nerd

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

you want zuckerburgs? cos that's how you get zuckerburgs.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

How did you get there if there were no roads?

ride the dirt on a creaky 80s suburban

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

america.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_xzyCDT98

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

it didn't like, email the address and ask you to click a confirmation link, it just wanted you to type the email address :allears:

IIRC google also does this, but it's the 2fa phone number, if 2fa is disabled but a number has been set. it just prompts you to enter it for verification

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Kids is weird.

I have seen if left to choose they will jump around Ryan's type channels and random Minecraft streamers. Not really finishing any video just randomly getting bored and chose another. But if you put on a documentary they will initially want something else but will watch the whole thing totally engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

one of the most disturbing thing I’ve ever seen on the internet is the youtube comments section of spammy animated songs for kids and realizing the gibberish comments are babies smashing keyboards, but in different languages

bad education is the where secfuckups start