Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Waiting weeks for Zen 3 or RTX 3070 is one thing, but worrying about something a year or more off is a waste if your current PC is too slow today.

There's always something on the horizon that can be used as a pretext to push off building a new PC, but at some point you have to bite the bullet and build it. And as far as those things go, DDR5 seems pretty unexciting to me.

It's not like if you build a good gaming PC today it will turn into poo poo the second DDR5 or PCIe 5.0 or USB Type Z comes out or whatever. These things basically always end up either being incremental improvements, or things that take another 1-2 years after release to mature enough that they're actually being used to their capabilities. poo poo, PCIe 4.0 still doesn't really matter on either video cards or SSDs, and the advantages of M.2 PCIe SSDs over SATA are still mostly theoretical for most users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m holding back on a full upgrade to see what Zen 3 brings, but there’s some good pricing on RAM and Motherboards at the moment.

There’s no risk in picking up a 550 or x570 and some ram, and then deciding on a Zen 3 or (hopefully cheaper) 3700x, yeah?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a go-to B550 board this thread recommends like the Tomahawk MAX was for B450?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Waiting weeks for Zen 3 or RTX 3070 is one thing, but worrying about something a year or more off is a waste if your current PC is too slow today.

There's always something on the horizon that can be used as a pretext to push off building a new PC, but at some point you have to bite the bullet and build it. And as far as those things go, DDR5 seems pretty unexciting to me.

It's not like if you build a good gaming PC today it will turn into poo poo the second DDR5 or PCIe 5.0 or USB Type Z comes out or whatever. These things basically always end up either being incremental improvements, or things that take another 1-2 years after release to mature enough that they're actually being used to their capabilities. poo poo, PCIe 4.0 still doesn't really matter on either video cards or SSDs, and the advantages of M.2 PCIe SSDs over SATA are still mostly theoretical for most users.

DDR5 is a tricky one.

Launch DDR4 vs current DDR4 is pretty steep in terms of speed. And why waiting matters here is if you wanna upgrade to faster ram in lets say 3-5 years, if you get DDR4 now then that upgrade will require a new mobo + cpu (most likely).

If you wanna upgrade your mobo + cpu in 2-5 years, you’re stuck also upgrading ram.

Socket or connector type changes that have long generations are generally worth waiting for if you can.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Should the Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006 work for a new 3080 build?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Is there a go-to B550 board this thread recommends like the Tomahawk MAX was for B450?

The MSI B550M Pro-VDH has the same VRM as the B450 Tomahawk, it's similarly a perfect board for a 3600 or 3700X. (There's also the bazooka which has more elaborate heatsinks but is apparently the exact same board underneath. What I don't know is if there are any significant BIOS differences between the pro-vdh and the bazooka.) Got everything most people need including a front-panel C socket.

For someone that needs more USBs, the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro also has a totally competent VRM which runs a bit warmer but has plenty of power. All the back-panel USBs comes at the expense of a front-panel C jack though.

The one high-end B550 I can see a case for is the MSI B550M Mortar, for the particular purpose of making a high-end system in MATX form factor. That has a high-spec VRM equal to a good X570 and so is fine with a 3900X or bigger. It also costs as much as an X570, but there aren't any really good MATX X570s. (Also it has a wifi version with Intel AX wifi, so good for a wifi connected PC. But again, that's $180 so no major bargain compared to some ATX X570s like the Asus TUF Plus wifi.)

Harry Privates posted:

Should the Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006 work for a new 3080 build?
Yes

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 20, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

DDR5 is a tricky one.

Launch DDR4 vs current DDR4 is pretty steep in terms of speed. And why waiting matters here is if you wanna upgrade to faster ram in lets say 3-5 years, if you get DDR4 now then that upgrade will require a new mobo + cpu (most likely).

If you wanna upgrade your mobo + cpu in 2-5 years, you’re stuck also upgrading ram.

Socket or connector type changes that have long generations are generally worth waiting for if you can.

IMO if the wait for a component can be counted as a year, it's not worth waiting. You have no idea what financial situation may occur, or if you'll even be alive then. If it's within a month, worth a wait.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
edit: nm just took it out a diff way

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

hambeet posted:

I’m holding back on a full upgrade to see what Zen 3 brings, but there’s some good pricing on RAM and Motherboards at the moment.

There’s no risk in picking up a 550 or x570 and some ram, and then deciding on a Zen 3 or (hopefully cheaper) 3700x, yeah?

If you buy a mobo now for Zen 3, you better drat well make sure you buy a model that has USB BIOS flash capabilities. Otherwise, you could be looking at a significant hassle locating a supported CPU to flash the board to be Zen 3 compatible and maybe even have to fork over money to a store to have them do it for you.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Klyith posted:

The MSI B550M Pro-VDH has the same VRM as the B450 Tomahawk, it's similarly a perfect board for a 3600 or 3700X.

Curious how people feel this compares to this Asus TUF Gaming motherboard? I'd heard good things about it but the MSI is significantly cheaper.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Good question. I'm about to order the Asus TUF so I looked into it. The MSI has one GPU slot (versus 2 in the Asus), Wifi 5 (vs Wifi 6), 1GB ethernet (vs 2.5GB), and a lesser I/O panel. The MSI is a lot less expensive, but certainly a lesser mobo. It really depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Motherboard purchases are always about feature sets. Do you need a particular I/O type, how many M.2 Slots, how many SATA connectors? Do you need onboard wifi etc? Nicer onboard Audio? BIOS flashback? Once you have the feature set, you can probably go with the cheapest option that offers the package you are looking for unless there are a ton of reported issues.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Do we know that zen3 is still AM4?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MikeC posted:

If you buy a mobo now for Zen 3, you better drat well make sure you buy a model that has USB BIOS flash capabilities. Otherwise, you could be looking at a significant hassle locating a supported CPU to flash the board to be Zen 3 compatible and maybe even have to fork over money to a store to have them do it for you.

Yeah the mobos I’m looking at all have USB and the flash bios button.

So I take it that yes, what I’m planning is fine.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Klyith posted:

the only advice I seriously care about people following is have backups of your personal / important data!

Klyith posted:

You can do that. Win7 will probably move to the new PC and boot functionally. However, it may be non-optimal based on a couple different factors. I'd recommend doing it in the other order: update to win10 on the existing machine & drive, then move it to the new PC and do the clone to the new drive (with macrium reflect).

However, IMO a clean install is a way better idea for this situation, and has the possibility of being a lot *more* convenient because there are many less things to go wrong.

i just did this - win7 to win10 and then migrate - and it worked perfectly. even let me re-activate win10 after trying to tell me i couldn't. also because your advice was so useful i made sure i backed up all of my personal and important data before doing it, so thanks again!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If I get a 2.5” SSD to run games off of instead of my NVMe 960 Evo, would I lose any realistic performance?

If I go that route, is there any particular SSD hardware type I should be looking for?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

If I get a 2.5” SSD to run games off of instead of my NVMe 960 Evo, would I lose any realistic performance?

If I go that route, is there any particular SSD hardware type I should be looking for?

You’ll notice no real world difference. As far as I’m aware avoid QLC nand SSDs, slower with a shorter lifespan.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Hi all. Here is my info and build:

What country are you in? UK

What are you using the system for? Gaming

What's your budget? £1700/£1800 to include a monitor also

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080 144 Hz or so

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? As fast as possible within the budget

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£274.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£73.34 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£99.06 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£249.60 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (£400.00 @ Currys PC World)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case (£88.40 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£104.99 @ Box Limited)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£131.46 @ Newegg UK)
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£182.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £1703.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-20 12:16 BST+0100

Thanks in advance.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dog Pipes posted:

Hi all. Here is my info and build:

What country are you in? UK

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080 144 Hz or so

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? As fast as possible within the budget

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks in advance.

Looks pretty solid, I’d consider the AOC 24G2U though instead. I’m preferential to IPS rather than VA for the better colour accuracy, though if you’re averse to IPS glow then that might be an issue. I’m dubious about the value of a curved screen on anything other than an ultrawide to be honest.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What no there's a number of issues with that build. Money can be saved on the RAM, the Samsung SSD, they should get a B550 mobo instead, don't spend £130 on windows, and also buying a 2070 super right now when the 3070 comes out very soon is a huge waste of money

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Dog Pipes posted:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£131.46 @ Newegg UK)

Make sure you don't have a windows 7 key you could transfer from an old, unused device, or failing that find a key reseller. SA-mart has a guy who sells keys for like $10. There is no reason to spend that much on a windows 10 license

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

What no there's a number of issues with that build. Money can be saved on the RAM, the Samsung SSD, they should get a B550 mobo instead, don't spend £130 on windows, and also buying a 2070 super right now when the 3070 comes out very soon is a huge waste of money

The 3070 will be £70 more, and feasibly purchasable for months to come. The Samsung SSD is fine?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I left the windows OS in by accident, I can get a key for that. Aside from waiting for the 3070 to drop and the mobo, which RAM and SSD do you recommend instead?

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

ijyt posted:

The 3070 will be £70 more, and feasibly purchasable for months to come. The Samsung SSD is fine?

The extra £70 isn't an issue tbh, but when is the card likely to be released in the UK?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dog Pipes posted:

The extra £70 isn't an issue tbh, but when is the card likely to be released in the UK?

Launches this October, but the UK got basically no 3080 stock. It was sold out in probably less than a minute due to bots. I wouldn’t expect reliable stock until the end of the year at the earliest, if not early 2021.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dog Pipes posted:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/T8X6vW

Cheaper but perfectly functional cooler
Cheaper equivalent RAM
Cheaper equivalent SSD
Cheaper but suitable PSU

B550 chipset mobo instead - do you need WiFi? If so, you need a separate WiFi card, or you can get a mATX board with included WiFi (also you could get a smaller case to fit or just throw a mATX board in a big case)

Removed windows, buy a key in SAmart for $10

Removed the GPU, if you can then wait for the 3070 or you could always get a second hand 20 series which there's a glut of in the market atm.

Even factoring in the additional cost for a 3070, this build still saves ~£150 on your original, which I would think about investing in a higher resolution monitor to do better justice to the hardware

ijyt posted:

I'd say its more than worth the wait for what is basically twice the GPU unless they need a computer right the gently caress now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Saying the RTX 3070 won't be buyable until 2021 is overly pessimistic IMO. The top tier part (3080 in this case) almost always has more availability issues than the next step down.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Thanks for this. I don't need wifi, no.

Essentially I need to cool my jets for a few weeks, I guess. Perhaps wait for Zen 3 to drop also? Not far away.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

ijyt posted:

Launches this October, but the UK got basically no 3080 stock. It was sold out in probably less than a minute due to bots. I wouldn’t expect reliable stock until the end of the year at the earliest, if not early 2021.

I read about this. Apparently people used bots in retaliation to increase the price on Ebay so people wouldn't buy.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

sean10mm posted:

Saying the RTX 3070 won't be buyable until 2021 is overly pessimistic IMO. The top tier part (3080 in this case) almost always has more availability issues than the next step down.

Overclockers are taking orders on the 3070 but don't have stock as yet.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I've seen several builds with a 500gb m2 ssd for their "C" drive and then another SSD for games/storage. Is there still merit to this setup other than having a usable drive if the other fails? I kind if figured this was a relic of putting your boot drive on an SSD and storage HDD elsewhere.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

manwithoutskin posted:

I've seen several builds with a 500gb m2 ssd for their "C" drive and then another SSD for games/storage. Is there still merit to this setup other than having a usable drive if the other fails? I kind if figured this was a relic of putting your boot drive on an SSD and storage HDD elsewhere.

That, or the second drive is carried over from a prior machine. About the only advantage I can think of to having a separate files drive is that you could move it to a different box intact, which isn't likely to come up with any regularity. Or you're a Linux user who knows just enough to be dangerous and is liable to break your install, but that's not an issue on windows.

As always, anything important should be backed up externally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pegnose Pete posted:

Curious how people feel this compares to this Asus TUF Gaming motherboard? I'd heard good things about it but the MSI is significantly cheaper.

The price of the Asus is the same as the Mortar Wifi, which would be my pick for "if you want MATX in particular, and a high-end board". They both have the same AX wifi, but the MSI has a superior VRM and 6 sata ports (none of which get disabled by using the M.2, so they must have an extra controller chip). If you don't need MATX, there are good X570s for the same price.

Personally I'm not big on asus mobos as they tend to be more expensive, and what you're getting is the asus brand and RGB. The asus brand may be worth something, or it may not. For example right now they're playing games with the definition of "phases" for VRMs. Asus calls that B550M TUF an 8 phase, it is a 4 phase with twice the parts. There are legit reasons to do this, but not to lie about it. And using cheaper parts plus still charging premium price is something I can't get behind.

However, if you want RGB I got no argument. From what I can tell, the 2 best ways to do RGB well are to get a Corsair icue controller & corsair RGB stuff for $$$$$, or to get an asus mobo and aura-sync compatible stuff. MSI & Gigabyte have inferior software for their RGB support, and avoiding awful software is important.

Butterfly Valley posted:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/T8X6vW

Cheaper but perfectly functional cooler

Eh, the Dark Rock Pro is roughly equivalent to a Noctua D15, both are far superior to a Hyper 212. The hyper 212 will keep a 3700X cool just fine, a D15 or dark rock pro will be near-silent while fully loaded.

Dog Pipes, how much do you care about noise from the PC? This also may be an issue for your case selection -- that's a fine case but the top panel is permanently open, it doesn't have a removable panel like a meshify or several others. That means that sound will always come right out the top, which depending on where you put the PC may be annoying.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 20, 2020

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Klyith posted:

Dog Pipes, how much do you care about noise from the PC? This also may be an issue for your case selection -- that's a fine case but the top panel is permanently open, it doesn't have a removable panel like a meshify or several others. That means that sound will always come right out the top, which depending on where you put the PC may be annoying.

Hi mate. Yeah, I have the PC in our lounge where my wife watches TV at the same time also. Her hearing is very sensitive, so loudness would be an issue.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Some Goon posted:

That, or the second drive is carried over from a prior machine. About the only advantage I can think of to having a separate files drive is that you could move it to a different box intact, which isn't likely to come up with any regularity. Or you're a Linux user who knows just enough to be dangerous and is liable to break your install, but that's not an issue on windows.

As always, anything important should be backed up externally.

Yeah, this is what I did. Started with a small SSD for my OS, then later added a bigger one for games. Somewhere along the way I acquired a third one for reasons unknown so now I have 500GB for the OS, 250GB for just my steam installation, and 2TB for the actual games.

I don't think there's a reason for them to be on separate drives except that's how it evolved, and storage is still expensive enough that it wouldn't make sense to consolidate it.

Then again, being able to move just my OS to a different drive will probably be useful in the near future. (I'll move the SSD to another system and just move the OS to a new M.2 drive.)

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 20, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dog Pipes posted:

Hi mate. Yeah, I have the PC in our lounge where my wife watches TV at the same time also. Her hearing is very sensitive, so loudness would be an issue.

Ok, and she's gonna be watching TV while you're gaming right? Then you want a build focused on quiet while there's active load like games. The NR600 is decent for that, but I'd say you might want to move up to the Meshify C for 1 important reason: the NR600 only does 120mm fans in the front, while the Meshify can use 140mm. Bigger fans = quieter for the same airflow. Then add 2 good low-noise 140mm fans.

And for a CPU cooler, I'd suggest the Noctua U14S, the D15, the dark rock 4, or the dark rock pro you were looking at before. It looks like in the UK the bequiets are priced about the same or cheaper than noctua, feel free to go with those -- in the US its the other way around, which is why we use more noctuas ITT unless people are concerned about looks.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

It’s not like your average person was rocking an $700 graphics card a month ago. These products are outside of a lot of peoples price range.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Klyith posted:

Ok, and she's gonna be watching TV while you're gaming right? Then you want a build focused on quiet while there's active load like games. The NR600 is decent for that, but I'd say you might want to move up to the Meshify C for 1 important reason: the NR600 only does 120mm fans in the front, while the Meshify can use 140mm. Bigger fans = quieter for the same airflow. Then add 2 good low-noise 140mm fans.

And for a CPU cooler, I'd suggest the Noctua U14S, the D15, the dark rock 4, or the dark rock pro you were looking at before. It looks like in the UK the bequiets are priced about the same or cheaper than noctua, feel free to go with those -- in the US its the other way around, which is why we use more noctuas ITT unless people are concerned about looks.

Yeah, exactly. I don't yell (much!) when I'm gaming and she's really tolerant of my nerd nonsense! Thank you for the advice (wife passes on her thanks too).

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I have a 5+ year old PC and have been saving money to build a PC for the release of Cyberpunk 2077.

What country are you in? United States
What's you budget? $2,000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution \ refresh rate? 1440p/144. I have a gsync monitor so as long as I can maintain > 60 fps I will be happy.

I have the 3700x on my part list but I am considering waiting for the Zen 3 CPUs. Planning on buying a 3080, if I can manage to snag one of course. Unsure about the motherboard, I would like to have Wi-Fi capability built in though.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tPfQjp

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card (~$750)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1139.88 + $750 (3080) = $1,889.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-20 13:58 EDT-0400

Javes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Can someone explain to me like the dumbass I am how BIOS flashback works, I'd like to start buying parts piecemeal for my build, and would like to leave open the option for a zen3 proc if it works out, but am honestly terrified of having to do something that will brick my build before it is even started.