Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bob Mundon posted:

Yeah came with a fence, although no resaw guide but I think I can manage. Had a pretty long drive to get it so haven't made any cuts yet but just setting it up can't really believe this thing is in my garage. Quite a step up from anything else I have.

As mentioned the bottom guides are incredibly fiddly, the lower guide doesn't even have spring loaded bearings so a far cry from their 326 version. Crazy it takes two wrenches and an allen key to adjust all the guides, but considering it's got a 14 amp motor and 13 inch resaw capacity.....I think I can live with that.

Just rolling it around the garage it didn't seem too bad. Rolling it down the other guys driveway and over bumps though? Definitely still a little too heavy, but still manageable.

Bob, look what you gone and done.

I've had a near 50 year old Milwaukee-Delta 14" for a good 20 odd years. I got it for cheap, and let it go for cheap today. I'm not a bandsaw-centric guy like some of the Woodworking guys are, but I respect the saw's versatility and sure can see how and why that can happen. So I started reading up on these, and then I too checked Craigslist, and voila, :mrgw::hf::corsair: I paid forward my old saw to my son-in-law after offering him firsties on the Rikon.

The casters were lovely on mine and the guy had bunged up the rollaround so one caster blew up as we were rolling it to the truck. Great guy though, he gave me a spare set of casters from his toolbox. He had a CNC laser cutter for metal (I think?) and some really cool work, and that was his forte, so he was getting out of woodworking.
I like the build, the bells and whistles. And it's a tight saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mr. Mambold posted:

Bob, look what you gone and done.

I've had a near 50 year old Milwaukee-Delta 14" for a good 20 odd years. I got it for cheap, and let it go for cheap today. I'm not a bandsaw-centric guy like some of the Woodworking guys are, but I respect the saw's versatility and sure can see how and why that can happen. So I started reading up on these, and then I too checked Craigslist, and voila, :mrgw::hf::corsair: I paid forward my old saw to my son-in-law after offering him firsties on the Rikon.

The casters were lovely on mine and the guy had bunged up the rollaround so one caster blew up as we were rolling it to the truck. Great guy though, he gave me a spare set of casters from his toolbox. He had a CNC laser cutter for metal (I think?) and some really cool work, and that was his forte, so he was getting out of woodworking.
I like the build, the bells and whistles. And it's a tight saw.

Welcome to the 324 Club! we need a :thumbsup: with stitches

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

powderific posted:

I could be wrong but I think you might be better off just getting one with the battery built in. Both of my Milwaukee battery vacs are pretty meh, while my Dyson V8 is great and has mostly replaced the corded vacuum in our house.

This drives me absolutely bananas.

Vacuums (and floor polishers) are super hamstrung by simultaneously low run times and trying to wring every watt out of a non-replaceable lithium battery that kills them right quick.
Meanwhile every punter with a Ryobi drill/driver has 2 or 3 decent quality 18V 3Ah batteries sitting on the bench for weekend duty.
When your Dyson (or Karcher) custom battery wears out then you have to pay a few hundred for a new one.
In the meantime you have to wait 2-3 hours for the crappy wall wart to recharge.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
To the Rikon 324 gang I'm seeing some pictures of fences that have a plastic nub on the far end that keeps the fence from rubbing on the table top. Mine doesn't but being used it might have been taken off, does everyone else have the on their fence?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

When your Dyson (or Karcher) custom battery wears out then you have to pay a few hundred for a new one.

Not disagreeing about wanting better tool brand vacuums, but for the V8 at least it’s like 3 screws and the pack is $130 from Dyson or you can just get a knockoff for like $50.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

To the Rikon 324 gang I'm seeing some pictures of fences that have a plastic nub on the far end that keeps the fence from rubbing on the table top. Mine doesn't but being used it might have been taken off, does everyone else have the on their fence?

Mine didn't come with one. Aluminum fence sits right the table but with the tubular fence guide you just pivot it up off the table to move it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Who saw this one coming.

Autodesk posted:

Important changes are coming to your Fusion 360 for personal use software that you need to know about.

Effective October 1, 2020, functionality in Fusion 360 for personal use will be limited, and you’ll no longer have access to the following:

Probing, 3 + 2-axis milling (tool orientation), multi-axis milling, rapid moves, automatic tool changes
Multi-sheets, smart templates, output options for drawings (print only).
Download options from public share links
Cloud rendering
Export options including DWG, IGES, SAT, STEP, and DXF (Note: DXF can still be saved via sketch)
Simulation and generative design
Unlimited active and editable Fusion 360 documents (10 doc limit).
Fusion 360 extensions – Generative Design and Manufacturing Extensions
These changes are being made to allow us to scale, align intended usage with the various offerings, support advanced capabilities for Fusion 360 subscribers, and stay true to our guiding principles of democratizing design for everyone.

Fusion 360 for personal use is still free for those of you working on home-based, non-commercial design, manufacturing, and fabrication projects.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Who saw this one coming.

Does the software update automatically? Can you keep the old functionality by keeping the old version? I don't own a CNC machine, but that list of features sounds like you've basically lost all functionality from the software with this "update".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Does the software update automatically? Can you keep the old functionality by keeping the old version? I don't own a CNC machine, but that list of features sounds like you've basically lost all functionality from the software with this "update".

Yes, no. It's very tightly hooked into their cloud, I suspect you would need to go to great lengths to try and run it without it phoning home for an update.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You can't even work on local files. You can export and presumably import, but your working files are stored in their cloud storage, no exceptions.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

You can't even work on local files. You can export and presumably import, but your working files are stored in their cloud storage, no exceptions.

You can't export anything unless you save it to their cloud first.

They have been saying they were going to lock it all down for over a year. SaaS is all about giving you a taste so you get used to their software then switch it to paid so you are so ingrained in using it you will just pay the monthly fees.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

They have been saying they were going to lock it all down for over a year.

They haven't been saying it in a way that I saw, given I've got an account and actively use the app.

JEEVES420 posted:

SaaS is all about giving you a taste so you get used to their software then switch it to paid so you are so ingrained in using it you will just pay the monthly fees.

Some of it is. Some of it is about providing a decent free service and then providing paid addons and upgrades. Bait and switch is usually not the way it goes with decent companies.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hmmm will I still be able to export stl for 3d printing? That's really all I use it for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Presumably. What I pasted was the entirety of the email.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I’m looking at getting a rail saw for cutting some plywood to make a run of cabinets.

I used a festool one today at woodcraft, shockingly it was wonderful to use.
I don’t want to spend festool money though, so I was looking at Kreg. I was wondering if the system that uses your own circular saw (which is about 70 or so) is worth getting, or should I look at their version that comes with its own saw? ($400)

I have a corded ryobi circular saw that cuts fine.

Thoughts?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I’m looking at getting a rail saw for cutting some plywood to make a run of cabinets.

I used a festool one today at woodcraft, shockingly it was wonderful to use.
I don’t want to spend festool money though, so I was looking at Kreg. I was wondering if the system that uses your own circular saw (which is about 70 or so) is worth getting, or should I look at their version that comes with its own saw? ($400)

I have a corded ryobi circular saw that cuts fine.

Thoughts?

It works well, keep the bottom clean and the rubber sticks pretty decent. Just don't trust that it squares up by laying it down with the lip. I used to draw a line but now I just do 4 dashes and line up the guide. Pretty quick to setup once you figure out kerf/blade placement. The plastic edge on the guide is meant to be cut off on the first cut so you know exactly where the blade falls on that side.

The same plate that attaches to the saw can be used on the track and the edge guide which is nice. Cutting a bunch of sides for cabinets at 16" was a breeze with the edge guide since I don't have a slider on my table saw.

Only real draw backs are no plunge cutting (at least I haven't tried), since it doesn't lock into the rail, and if it gets sawdust under it it will slip.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

the bosch one works well. the rails are expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

How does one remove a morse 2 taper jacob's chuck from a drill press? When I've seen people using lathes or mills they're able to apply pressure from the back, but that's seemingly not an option with my drill press.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

How does one remove a morse 2 taper jacob's chuck from a drill press? When I've seen people using lathes or mills they're able to apply pressure from the back, but that's seemingly not an option with my drill press.

Have you tried

:google:?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Have you tried

:google:?

Is that not the answer to every question asked in this forum?

I've even read the manual, but I think the assumption is that lowly consumers never would, so I'm looking for ideas from someone with experience rather than a listicle.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sometimes there is a slit cut in the spindle/quill at the top of the taper that you drive a wedge through. Sometimes you can drive it out from the other end of the shaft if the shaft is hollow. Sometimes you just have to lightly hammer the top of the chuck itself with a piece of wood. Sometimes it just doesn't want to come out.

Looking at/posting the exploded parts diagram may help? An invariable follow up question is going to be 'why are you taking it off?'

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sometimes you can drive it out from the other end of the shaft if the shaft is hollow.

It's not this, but it might be one of the others, I'll take a look, thanks :)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Looking at/posting the exploded parts diagram may help?

There isn't one :(

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

An invariable follow up question is going to be 'why are you taking it off?'

It's got some runout so I think I didn't fit it quite right.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is that not the answer to every question asked in this forum?

I've even read the manual, but I think the assumption is that lowly consumers never would, so I'm looking for ideas from someone with experience rather than a listicle.

Is there any space between the chuck and, ah not the spindle, but what it inserts into...the head? Where you could get an open end wrench (spanner?) in between and smack down with a deadblow hammer is what I'm thinking.

Give us a closeup pic, M8.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 20, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's not this, but it might be one of the others, I'll take a look, thanks :)

I've got one that there is no way to drive it out from the other side nor was there a good way to get something over it to bang it down without damaging the chuck like Mr. Manbold is suggesting - might work for you if the check is trashed anyway.

In any case, I use a slide hammer tightened into the chuck to pull it. Takes a few good whacks but it comes out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is there any space between the chuck and, ah not the spindle, but what it inserts into...the head? Where you could get an open end wrench (spanner?) in between and smack down with a deadblow hammer is what I'm thinking.

Give us a closeup pic, M8.

The quill, yeah. There's a lil bit of space, I'll take photos.

Motronic posted:

I've got one that there is no way to drive it out from the other side nor was there a good way to get something over it to bang it down without damaging the chuck like Mr. Manbold is suggesting - might work for you if the check is trashed anyway.

In any case, I use a slide hammer tightened into the chuck to pull it. Takes a few good whacks but it comes out.

TIL about a new tool! Thanks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

TIL about a new tool! Thanks!

Just make sure to use it right

https://i.imgur.com/eL2Cx3l.mp4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow this is really stupid.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Any suggestions for a simple dust cyclone for a shop vac? Tried the dustopper from Home Depot and I'm sure it's work great for dust, but plane shavings get clogged and everything bypasses the cyclone. Thinking about trying the dust deputy but it seems expensive for what it is. Don't need anything crazy, just something that runs off a shop vac that can handle some dust and shavings.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bob Mundon posted:

Any suggestions for a simple dust cyclone for a shop vac? Tried the dustopper from Home Depot and I'm sure it's work great for dust, but plane shavings get clogged and everything bypasses the cyclone. Thinking about trying the dust deputy but it seems expensive for what it is. Don't need anything crazy, just something that runs off a shop vac that can handle some dust and shavings.

The dust deputy works incredibly well. I hemmed and hawed about spending the money, and wished I would have bought it sooner. It works incredibly well. There’s also plenty of overseas knockoffs if you aren’t in a rush and want to save money.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t have a ton of cash to work with, so I can only really afford the 2.0 Ah battery that comes with the sprayer. I could afford to grab another battery if I was buying a smaller sprayer, but the 4-gallon Ryobi is the only battery sprayer my local Home Depot has in stock that comes with a battery and is within my price range. I’d prefer not to have to wait on shipping for something smaller, since I can’t really put off spraying my trees any longer than I already have.

So dude, have you put that sprayer to the test? I wanted to go with the 1 gallon sprayer since I've got tomatoes, shrubs, but only got 6 fruit trees, but 2 of them are pretty massive. Plus that 4 gallon rig looks like a back bender, and I've already got that issue.

I looked at the Ryobi single gallon and passed on it for the SunJoe, breaking the ryobi ecosphere. Sun Joe supposedly has 72 psi factor, more than the 1 gallon Ryobi.
Used it once. It's a piddler. It's fine for the tomatoes and shrubs, but I can't see spraying my pear trees multiple times. So I returned it and got the Ryobi you've been speccing, after viewing some ryobi dude's youtube.

I'm walking to the checkout in Home Depot and there's a guy ahead of me with the same Ryobi sprayer in a cart, so I'm gonna holler at him to get his opinion. He breezed through an unattended checkout and kept trucking. Must have been a secret goon shopper.

Also, I think you're totally on point with just using the 2 amp battery, these things seem to be pretty efficient.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello tools! (and I mean that in the gentlest way possible) DIY Secret Santa signups are open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

corgski posted:

Hello tools! (and I mean that in the gentlest way possible) DIY Secret Santa signups are open!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941260

I’m getting real strong deja vu vibes here... I really need to start reading other subforums

New bandsaw time... Super tempted to buy the Grizzly 17” anniversary edition:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-17-2-HP-Bandsaw-35th-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV

Yay or nay?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 23, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:
Do it

coathat
May 21, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

For planer shavings something like this on a trashcan would work https://www.woodcraft.com/products/trash-can-cyclone-lid

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Mundon posted:

Any suggestions for a simple dust cyclone for a shop vac?

I have a Clearvue Mini CV06. It's an expensive option but the novelty of watching the cyclone through the clear plastic is worth the extra $20.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 23, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Sure, I'll order a makita track saw new. What a treat!

Instead, what I got, was a very used saw in beat up Christmas-wrapping-paper-torn box, with a burned up blade.

Im keeping the batteries. Go gently caress yourself, Amazon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Sure, I'll order a makita track saw new. What a treat!

Instead, what I got, was a very used saw in beat up Christmas-wrapping-paper-torn box, with a burned up blade.

Im keeping the batteries. Go gently caress yourself, Amazon.

Now the next person amazon pawns it off on is going to get an even shittier saw with no batteries

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not exactly a tool, but does anyone have recommendations for a generator?

Situation is I live in a semi-rural area with a well for my water and an insulin-dependent family member, so any power loss of 12 hours or more will start to create issues. Have lived in this house for 5 years and have never had power go out for more than a few hours, but its 2020 and winter is coming so...

I want to be able to run my fridge, my well pump, and maybe my furnace blower (though I have a wood stove and lots of wood).

Wish I had the cash for a full house backup, but those are $texas, so I'm looking at an inverter gas generator in the 3-4kw range. Any brands to avoid? Any hidden gems?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd say get a propane generator if you can swing it. Way quieter, fuel can last in storage indefinitely, no carburator to gently caress up on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, thought about that, but the downsides are that is theres not two cars full of propane in my driveway i can get fuel from if needed, and not a few thousand gallons of propane at the gas station a mile away.

But, are dual fuel ones worth it, or are they a compromise that loses the best of both?