Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL they only just came around to the "airborne transmission" idea last Friday and they've already flipflopped :v:

Entire swaths of government are being run like Bugs and Daffy arguing about the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Things are gonna be awkward around the NAID office tomorrow morning

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1308083976062590979

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Things are gonna be awkward around the NAID office tomorrow morning

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1308083976062590979

Yeah, people might have trouble adjusting to Bill Crews being the new boss.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cthulu Carl posted:

Entire swaths of government are being run like Bugs and Daffy arguing about the season.

Either way, it's still hunting season.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:suicide:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Have more Ding.https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1308077026042089472

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Schadenboner posted:

Would have been even better if they had mistakenly misquoted from whatever the Dreamworks knockoff was.

E: "Antz" maybe? :confused:

Antz came out before A Bug’s Life; if anything, A Bug’s Life is the knockoff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's like totally gone, dude.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Welp, I guess I'm back to going around maskless but washing my hands bloody. Take care thread.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is that a covid I see before me?!? Scrub my hands till they bleed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Now all its going to take is the small leap of someone bribing, sorry SPENDING, some money in Mar-a-lago and you will have Trump branded snake oil medicine.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Sigh, people are posting the tweets of the exercise and nutrition politician, so I guess I'll post a tweet from an actual epidemiologist.

Follow the tweet chain of this woman where she goes over what the CDC's changed recommendations actually mean.
https://twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1307822410582941696

The important take-away is that the protective measures suggested by most epidemiologists already take into account aerosol spread. The CDC's confirmation (and the retraction) of this information does not provide any significant new information. Continue to social distance, wear masks, and avoid confined spaces for long periods of time.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Sigh. Any miracles come out of folding at home yet?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I turned it off because it made my computer noisy

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cacator posted:

I turned it off because it made my computer noisy

We are all gonna die

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: trump needs the market to not be collapsing, so poof! No more airborne covid talk, that’ll scare people and make number go down

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I found aliens, and they're gonna include me on the Nobel Prize team

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Continue to social distance, wear masks, and avoid confined spaces for long periods of time.

lol no

Pensacola Mayor Grover Robinson posted:

"There's no doubt that the masks work in practice. And the practice at City Hall and all city facilities will still be to wear masks. But we feel like, at this point, telling people to do it is counterproductive. Because when we need you to do it, we want to be able to bring that tool back out and do it again."

https://weartv.com/news/local/watch-live-pensacola-mayor-holds-press-conference-from-eoc

Wearing masks is working, but making people wear masks is making them work so well that we don't need to wear masks. So when not wearing masks starts not working again, we can tell people to wear masks so that wearing masks works again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think the only way we're going to get through this is with severe fines and arrests along with isolation camps for the sick. Seriously, we're far too stupid and stubborn to do this on our own. If there is any argument for having "big government" it's the entirety of 2020 so far. People are too loving dumb for their own good.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Philthy posted:

People are too loving dumb for their own good.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Philthy posted:

People are too loving dumb for their own good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

I think the only way we're going to get through this is with severe fines and arrests along with isolation camps for the sick. Seriously, we're far too stupid and stubborn to do this on our own. If there is any argument for having "big government" it's the entirety of 2020 so far. People are too loving dumb for their own good.

Of course, the people in the government are much smarter

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

xtal posted:

Of course, the people in the government are much smarter

Most of them can at least read and write.

MOST

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I've been seeing info like this getting posted around and frankly it's seriously sticky info that I'm sure will embolden people to not give a poo poo about lockdowns or masks. I have yet to come across a convincing counter argument.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+...chrome&ie=UTF-8

The new cases have been ticking into a nice new second wave for some time now. But the death rate has completely flatlined.

And it can't be the lag because cases have been trending up for well over a month and significantly in the last three weeks with no corresponding movement in deaths.

The effect is even more pronounced in France
https://www.google.com/search?q=fra...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, are there any actual figures I can present on what sort of percentage of people end up suffering from the long term health problems that have been reported from Covid?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I switched to minecraft at home to do some REAL good

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Read this: https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Short version: COVID is NOT a respiratory illness. It is an illness that affects the ENTIRE blood circulation system and the heart. The lung issues are caused by blood vessels becoming leaky and flooding the lungs. The problem: This occurs all over the body with stronger or weaker effects.

And given all that, we now know how to treat covid better, but we have no idea how many years contracting and surviving covid shaves off your life.

This is incomplete, but coming from the CDC should have a little traction: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

death cult death cult Death Cult DEATH CULT

https://twitter.com/BGOnTheScene/status/1308223562826817537

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't worry guys, I haven't made America all that great in the last 4 years, but THIS time, this next stretch of 4 years will surely do the trick!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Illuminti posted:

I've been seeing info like this getting posted around and frankly it's seriously sticky info that I'm sure will embolden people to not give a poo poo about lockdowns or masks. I have yet to come across a convincing counter argument.

As an example there have been German studies showing that 78% of people who contract it (including asymptomatic) have some sort of heart issues from infection. About half of people who suffer moderate symptoms or symptoms severe enough for hospitalisation have long term fatigue issues.

As for wave 2 I can't cover the US easily as it's so varied but the pattern across Europe is that numbers go up as young people get it, it spreads further but doesn't cause a lot of deaths for 6-8 weeks after the initial rise. Then you see an increase in deaths as it branches out into the population, remember it takes usually 10+ days from infection to hospitalisation and up to a month to death.

We also are much much better at treating severe cases now and testing is much more widespread so less people are dying and a higher % of people who have it are actually being detected.

In the initial wave only a tiny fraction of people who had it could get tested, usually the ones sick enough to be in hospital. For the UK specifically it was probably 10x or even more actual infections as positive tests.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You can also try showing them this, and explain that it means that people still die a lot in poor places and countries, and that even if you don't die from it, you help spread it to some poor sap who doesn't have the NHS and who will die.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

You can also try showing them this, and explain that it means that people still die a lot in poor places and countries, and that even if you don't die from it, you help spread it to some poor sap who doesn't have the NHS and who will die.

Thank you, I’d not seen those graphs before. Gives a very different read.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Chief McHeath posted:

https://weartv.com/news/local/watch-live-pensacola-mayor-holds-press-conference-from-eoc

Wearing masks is working, but making people wear masks is making them work so well that we don't need to wear masks. So when not wearing masks starts not working again, we can tell people to wear masks so that wearing masks works again.

I don't blame him for what he said.

Masks work, he's right, but mask orders only serve to reinforce mask wearing for a certain percentage of the population, for the rest of it, the mandate is the only reason they wear a mask. As the mask mandate lengthens, it gets less effective, as people in that second group stop wearing masks and largely never resume.

He's suspending the mask order while there's no evidence of an active outbreak in Pensacola because that means more people will listen to it when it's reinstated because there is an active outbreak. The fact that removing the mask order ensures an outbreak is an unintended but welcome side effect.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If I was sitting about 6 feet away from a person who was presymptomatic and later diagnosed with covid for several full 8 hour shifts, and we were both wearing masks while at work, should I be concerned? Work isn't confirming or denying they tested positive, only that someone in the office did.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Konstantin posted:

If I was sitting about 6 feet away from a person who was presymptomatic and later diagnosed with covid for several full 8 hour shifts, and we were both wearing masks while at work, should I be concerned? Work isn't confirming or denying they tested positive, only that someone in the office did.

You're going to need to be more specific about what you mean by "concerned".

For example, if I were in your situation, I wouldn't be visiting any elderly relatives that I particularly cared about until after getting a test (and the results back from it). But I wouldn't pre-emptively put myself in 14-day isolation either. Definitely get a test though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Konstantin posted:

If that person had COVID-19, you were in a situation where you could have caught it, yes. Get tested, then probably get tested again after a little while.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Saros posted:

As an example there have been German studies showing that 78% of people who contract it (including asymptomatic) have some sort of heart issues from infection. About half of people who suffer moderate symptoms or symptoms severe enough for hospitalisation have long term fatigue issues.

As for wave 2 I can't cover the US easily as it's so varied but the pattern across Europe is that numbers go up as young people get it, it spreads further but doesn't cause a lot of deaths for 6-8 weeks after the initial rise. Then you see an increase in deaths as it branches out into the population, remember it takes usually 10+ days from infection to hospitalisation and up to a month to death.

We also are much much better at treating severe cases now and testing is much more widespread so less people are dying and a higher % of people who have it are actually being detected.

In the initial wave only a tiny fraction of people who had it could get tested, usually the ones sick enough to be in hospital. For the UK specifically it was probably 10x or even more actual infections as positive tests.

But this just doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not being sly here but I there is so much info and speculation floating around I swing backwards and forwards between what I think the best course of action might be. For the record I'm currently in Victoria where the lockdown appears to have been very effective, given the ever increasing number of permanently closed business and for lease signs in my area though I hope it was worth it and some other strategy might not have worked better.

I'm going to keep an eye on Spain, which saw a surge in new cases begin around the 8th of July. They've been over 3000+ cases per day since 31st of July and they've been over 8000 per day since 27th August. Then look at the deaths. There's been a very modest uptick in the last week, personally I'd expect more but I guess we will have to see if the lag is more like 8-12 weeks.

Graph of Spain new cases and deaths

Seems sad but I think all the easy targets as it were got swept up in the first wave.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 22, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We've learned that if you give people with Covid extremely strong anticlotting drugs, some of them will survive with only long-term organ damage. A lot of people still die even with that, but it is a major part of why the death toll hasn't been skyrocketing at the same level as cases.

We've pumped a lot of research into understanding what Covid does to people and we have a better idea of how to treat than 6 months ago, but it's no where near an effective cure. But we have significantly improved our standards of care

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 22, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

We've learned that if you give people with Covid extremely strong anticlotting drugs, some of them will survive with only long-term organ damage. A lot of people still die even with that, but it is a major part of why the death toll hasn't been skyrocketing at the same level as cases.

We've pumped a lot of research into understanding what Covid does to people and we have a better idea of how to treat than 6 months ago, but it's no where near an effective cure. But we have significantly improved our standards of care

those people will not die of covid, they will die of some kind of organ failure--see covid's a hoax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

What's a lot? Seriously. I realise I'm probably starting to sound like some kind of plandemic nutter but is there any data somewhere that it's getting worse or going to get worse and it's not just that testing has greatly expanded.

Here's a great page for the UK. Cases, Healthcare (people in hospital and patients on ventilators) and Deaths.

Can you spot the difference? Are we expecting the number of hospitalisations and deaths to start shooting up? Patients in hospital is probably a pretty good proxy for people at risk of serious issues arising. And it's not going up.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Pubs and restaurants opened up again in the UK on July 4th.....seems like long enough to be noticing a trend.