Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kit and Emilia might have had a career.

Not really though. They're pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh I know, we would have had D&D star wars!

That surely would have been spectacular!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Kit and Emilia might have had a career.

Not really though. They're pretty bad.

Kit was pretty funny in 7 days in hell, and also apparently was good in an episode of Criminal. He seems like a nice enough guy, hopefully he can find his niche somewhere.

Emilia, IDK. Good luck to her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kit was pretty funny in 7 days in hell, and also apparently was good in an episode of Criminal. He seems like a nice enough guy, hopefully he can find his niche somewhere.

Emilia, IDK. Good luck to her.

Kit can do comedy really well. Between 7 Days In Hell and How To Train Your Dragon 2, he's got the chops. Shame they wrote his character down to nothing the third HTTYD film along with Cate Blanchett, they were the highlights of the second film.

Emilia's also probably got a decent career ahead of her, but she's also probably made enough money from GoT and Star Wars to just retire at this point. I dunno.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Hello Bad Thread, I come to you with a quandary. This isn't the right thread for this, but gently caress it, it's book-related and this is my posting home when it comes to books, I've been shitposting about GRRM for a decade now.

When I was an IRL stupid newbie, at the age of...8, probably, although I'm not sure, maybe I was 7, the first full-length chapter book not written for kids that I read was Timothy Zahn's Dark Force Rising, because it said Star Wars on the cover and even then I was a budding nerd. It wasn't the first book in its trilogy but that's why "stupid" is part of "stupid newbie," and of course I subsequently read the first book, and the third, and then re-read them many times, among much other trash genre sci/fi. I haven't read a Star Wars book since the early 2000s or so, the New Jedi Order series never appealed to me and I lost interest in the setting. But nostalgia keeps Zahn and his books as an entirely positive memory, and his villain character, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is imprinted deeply upon my nerd heritage. Even today I rank Thrawn as one of the most memorable villains I've read about.

Just in the past couple of days I found out that Zahn has, in recent years, written not one, but four books focused on Thrawn, with two more planned. And thus I am faced with the question of whether or not I should read them.

I know, I know, that nostalgia is a poison. You don't wish for what you had "back then," you wish for who you were "back then." Trying to retread the paths of the past leads only to disappointment and sadness.

And yet, still, I am tempted to read them. Thoughts? :dawkins101:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Kylaer posted:

Hello Bad Thread, I come to you with a quandary. This isn't the right thread for this, but gently caress it, it's book-related and this is my posting home when it comes to books, I've been shitposting about GRRM for a decade now.

When I was an IRL stupid newbie, at the age of...8, probably, although I'm not sure, maybe I was 7, the first full-length chapter book not written for kids that I read was Timothy Zahn's Dark Force Rising, because it said Star Wars on the cover and even then I was a budding nerd. It wasn't the first book in its trilogy but that's why "stupid" is part of "stupid newbie," and of course I subsequently read the first book, and the third, and then re-read them many times, among much other trash genre sci/fi. I haven't read a Star Wars book since the early 2000s or so, the New Jedi Order series never appealed to me and I lost interest in the setting. But nostalgia keeps Zahn and his books as an entirely positive memory, and his villain character, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is imprinted deeply upon my nerd heritage. Even today I rank Thrawn as one of the most memorable villains I've read about.

Just in the past couple of days I found out that Zahn has, in recent years, written not one, but four books focused on Thrawn, with two more planned. And thus I am faced with the question of whether or not I should read them.

I know, I know, that nostalgia is a poison. You don't wish for what you had "back then," you wish for who you were "back then." Trying to retread the paths of the past leads only to disappointment and sadness.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=692

This thread should help with that. As far as the latest Thrawn books, it kinda depends. The first one in the new trilogy is pretty good, the second is meh, and I haven’t read the third.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kylaer posted:

Search your feelings Kylaer, you know what you must do.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

Kit can do comedy really well. Between 7 Days In Hell and How To Train Your Dragon 2, he's got the chops. Shame they wrote his character down to nothing the third HTTYD film along with Cate Blanchett, they were the highlights of the second film.

Emilia's also probably got a decent career ahead of her, but she's also probably made enough money from GoT and Star Wars to just retire at this point. I dunno.

All the main cast of GoT could retire and live lives of comfort if they wanted to. I'd be shocked if any of them didn't get seven figures for the last season but they'll all find acting jobs if they keep wanting to do so.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

All the main cast of GoT could retire and live lives of comfort if they wanted to. I'd be shocked if any of them didn't get seven figures for the last season but they'll all find acting jobs if they keep wanting to do so.

I know the actor who played Varys said he still has to work.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Main cast" is basically the 3 Lannister siblings dany and john. Noone else is making that money

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well aren’t most of the non kid cast long time actors anyways?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

UltraRed posted:

I know the actor who played Varys said he still has to work.

The main characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei) all made $500k per episode for the last seasons, up from $300k in 2014. Sansa, Arya, and the rest of the B-cast were making $175k for the last 2 seasons - https://www.businessinsider.com/gam...ht-bran-stark-8.

So you have to figure background people like Varys, Davos, Bronn, etc were making less than that. And most of them were longtime jobbing actors or theatre circuit people before this, so it's a nice pay bump and consistent check for a while, especially considering that Varys and Davos were on the show the entire time, but it's not crazy money. They'll still have to work but they can probably coast for a while and have a bit more choice in the roles they take, plus whatever convention circuit money they can scare up.

Unrelated.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1307587547112108033

lol.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The main characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei) all made $500k per episode for the last seasons, up from $300k in 2014. Sansa, Arya, and the rest of the B-cast were making $175k for the last 2 seasons - https://www.businessinsider.com/gam...ht-bran-stark-8.

So you have to figure background people like Varys, Davos, Bronn, etc were making less than that. And most of them were longtime jobbing actors or theatre circuit people before this, so it's a nice pay bump and consistent check for a while, especially considering that Varys and Davos were on the show the entire time, but it's not crazy money. They'll still have to work but they can probably coast for a while and have a bit more choice in the roles they take, plus whatever convention circuit money they can scare up.

Unrelated.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1307587547112108033

lol.

An apostrophe in “Throne’s” would likely be closer to the truth.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I felt so bad for Kit Harrington when I learned he had mental issues, some of them stemming from the show he worked years upon years on finally ending. :(

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
If you want to see Kit try his hand at something different check out the JUST released season 2 of Criminal: UK in Netflix. It's an anthology crime series, where each episode focuses on the interrogation of a victim/suspect/criminal. He is on episode 2, no need to watch any other, although it's an above average show I'd say. I quite liked his performance.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Quoted for truth.

Tangent from that-- convention circuits seem like a very... odd way to make a living. This is solely my personal disposition talking, but having to get up early and go to a hotel or reformatted sports arena and sit at a table, chit-chatting for days on end with people about one project I did years ago... like I'm sure the pay is fine, but psychically that would wreck me and fast.

Which makes me wonder why someone like GRRM seems to love doing it so drat much.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

mind the walrus posted:

Which makes me wonder why someone like GRRM seems to love doing it so drat much.

He's an old school fan back in the day, he used to go to conventions as an attendee and also organize them. And to be fair to him, before they became these huge media junkets, they could be kind of fun? I haven't been to a ReaderCon in like a decade but they were genuinely enjoyable, and some of the smaller cons that were basically just nerd hangout parties, but heavily slanted towards book nerds. But like, this has been his lifestyle his whole life pretty much, now he just gets attractive normal people to pay attention to his pontificating too.

Or he did before Season 8.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mind the walrus posted:

Quoted for truth.

Tangent from that-- convention circuits seem like a very... odd way to make a living. This is solely my personal disposition talking, but having to get up early and go to a hotel or reformatted sports arena and sit at a table, chit-chatting for days on end with people about one project I did years ago... like I'm sure the pay is fine, but psychically that would wreck me and fast.

It's probably pretty cool to have people think you're absolutely amazing and talk about how great a writer you are etc..

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Quoted for truth.

From what I understand before every con on the planet turned into the bastard child of SXSW and seasonal TV upfront presentations they used to cultivate a pretty nice vibe and community and generally offer a deeper, more interactive way to engage with your favorite series, author, genre, hobby, etc. And authors of all stripes jump at the opportunity to juice some sales, bask in adoration, booze it up, maybe get lucky, etc. However the former is long gone now and even an offbrand Wizard World in some third tier podunk city is basically trying to be SDCC shrunk down to scale. Seems exhausting to even consider.

Working the con circuit has to be hosed up, especially if you depend mainly on it for a living. If you just had a role in a big movie I presume the organizers at least cover the cost of travel and board, plus whatever speaking fee you get, charging for photos, etc. I saw an article breaking down the earnings and even someone like the guy who played Cyborg in JL can clean up while the iron is hot. But you take someone like Ernie Hudson - good actor who never really broke through and works consistently in small roles or voice overs - that dude has been on the convention circuit for something like two decades now. Imagine how tired he must be of telling the same Ghostbusters stories over and over.

I don't even like getting asked the same question twice. Something like that would basically be a circle of hell for me.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Vichan posted:

I felt so bad for Kit Harrington when I learned he had mental issues, some of them stemming from the show he worked years upon years on finally ending. :(

I think he had to go to rehab as well, sudden stardom can be pretty hosed up for young actors.

Some of the actors have talked about how they didn't expect it to be this difficult to find roles after game of thrones as well, those changes must be pretty difficult when they happen to you at a very young age. I know someone who taught the girl who played Sansa Stark when she still lived in het hometown in Warwickshire, and going from being an unknown person one year to having to have a security guard with you at school because you're getting some very disturbing mail sent to you the next must be pretty hosed up for a 15-year old.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 22, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mat Cauthon posted:

From what I understand before every con on the planet turned into the bastard child of SXSW and seasonal TV upfront presentations they used to cultivate a pretty nice vibe and community and generally offer a deeper, more interactive way to engage with your favorite series, author, genre, hobby, etc. And authors of all stripes jump at the opportunity to juice some sales, bask in adoration, booze it up, maybe get lucky, etc. However the former is long gone now and even an offbrand Wizard World in some third tier podunk city is basically trying to be SDCC shrunk down to scale. Seems exhausting to even consider.

Working the con circuit has to be hosed up, especially if you depend mainly on it for a living. If you just had a role in a big movie I presume the organizers at least cover the cost of travel and board, plus whatever speaking fee you get, charging for photos, etc. I saw an article breaking down the earnings and even someone like the guy who played Cyborg in JL can clean up while the iron is hot. But you take someone like Ernie Hudson - good actor who never really broke through and works consistently in small roles or voice overs - that dude has been on the convention circuit for something like two decades now. Imagine how tired he must be of telling the same Ghostbusters stories over and over.

I don't even like getting asked the same question twice. Something like that would basically be a circle of hell for me.

The most miserable man on any convention circuit is this guy:

Mike Jones, wrestled as Virgil. He was relevant for ~5 years in the late 80's working for WWE, but never as more than a midcarder, and has been on the convention circuit riding that for ~20 years.

Harrington will be fine, though. He's signed to a Marvel film as the Black Knight soonish, so that should be a big rear end payday for him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I do like the way they're going so 70's marvel in the next phase. The Eternals, Black Knight, even Shang-Chi (Master of Kung Fu!).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Part of Marvel's strength has been willingness to pull from all eras, while DC properties are getting a lot better but are still very very trapped in the late 80s/early 90s/early 2010s.

Liquid Communism posted:

Mike Jones, wrestled as Virgil. He was relevant for ~5 years in the late 80's working for WWE, but never as more than a midcarder, and has been on the convention circuit riding that for ~20 years.
Yeah I mean zero disrespect to the people who make a living doing it, but it's just not something I can psychically wrap my mind around. It looks like something that could be very damaging to a person's mental/emotional health, to be quite honest. Which again makes me wonder why on earth GRRM is so into it...

Mat Cauthon posted:

But yeah this makes sense. For someone of his age and disposition it is probably the best possible case for him.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

mind the walrus posted:

like I'm sure the pay is fine, but psychically that would wreck me and fast.

Fortune telling or speaking with the dead?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

Harrington will be fine, though. He's signed to a Marvel film as the Black Knight soonish, so that should be a big rear end payday for him.

Photos like that always make me feel so sad... :(

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I walked into a bookstore in Greenwich (London) years back and Lindsey Davis, author of the Falco series (Detective novels set in Flavian era Rome) was doing a book signing for her latest. Not a soul seemed interested, worse because (as I happend to know) she lived in Greenwich and this was her local book shop. The staff were practically wincing every time they looked at her.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vichan posted:

Photos like that always make me feel so sad... :(

Why? they prob earn the same as a mid tier twitch streamer (IE more than a real job would pay) for the same amount of effort.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why? they prob earn the same as a mid tier twitch streamer (IE more than a real job would pay) for the same amount of effort.

“Mid tier” streamers don’t do that well unless by “real job” you mean a mcjob

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Considering some recent scandals involving folks from the comics, sci fi fantasy, and anime convention circuits, that seems like a risky proposition to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Considering some recent scandals involving folks from the comics, sci fi fantasy, and anime convention circuits, that seems like a risky proposition to me.
It terrifies me to think of how much shady poo poo went down at those places pre-internet.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Ahhhhhh, gently caress.

GRRM is a cop.
A fan of the NYCPD.
He's a gently caress boi.

The entire idea of "master-stroke", "grey-morality" writing in genre-fiction is a pathetic excuse to avoid tackling social issues in a direct and clear manner.

"The law wins" or "the losers who can't commit to their ideals wins" is bullshit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is he? I can't find any blog or twitter posts supporting cops recently.

I did see he turned 72 the other day. Dude's getting up there...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m surprised he got there at all with how big he is.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I haven't looked at this thread since May 22, 2019. Is there a Winds of Winter date yet or is fat man still not writing the books despite a global loving pandemic making it highly deadly for him to do anything but stay inside and write the goddamn books

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Is there a Winds of Winter date yet

What does your heart tell you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I haven't looked at this thread since May 22, 2019. Is there a Winds of Winter date yet or is fat man still not writing the books despite a global loving pandemic making it highly deadly for him to do anything but stay inside and write the goddamn books

He's literally trying to buy a train and build a castle.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

He's literally trying to buy a train and build a castle.

oh

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m surprised he got there at all with how big he is.

He's an obese elderly man, who can afford extremely good heathcare. He could have another 20 years of procrastination in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well, if the worst happens, at the least Sanderson can finish another series for us.