Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

which makes it better than 99% of the pro lock installs in this thread

It's not a lock though, it's a latch. And there are so many easier and robust ways to make a latch than this.

urgh, awful page snipe.

[edit] This is a cool gif about better built buildings: https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1210221305741664257

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If the seatbelt gate used the retractor mechanism to auto open, that would be cool. But don't try to close it too fast, it will lock until you open fully again.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

If I understand correctly the middle part of that pizza apartment is not part of the apartment, it's the hallway outside the apartment.

Come to think of it - how do you get into the pizza apartment? There are no stairs or elevator that I can see.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
A lot of the toilets I have seen in Japanese homes had a little sink built into the top of the tank, and you would fill the tank by washing your hands. Didn't really see that with public restrooms and I lived in a pretty backwards area. The toilet in our house had such a sink, as well as a urinal that went all the way to the floor like in an older public mens room. The part I didn't like about it was that it was a trapdoor toilet that emptied to a pit directly beneath the bathroom. The smell during the summer was horrible. We did like the bidet function and the heated seat. Especially when it got below freezing inside during the winter.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

SD Return of the Jedi, just as we were supposed to view it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

If you don't know dots, weld lots!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

the bigger the blob, the better the job

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

it's loss, I know it is.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

True puddling

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Weembles posted:

Come to think of it - how do you get into the pizza apartment? There are no stairs or elevator that I can see.
Again, if I'm understanding it, the middle segment shouldn't be closed on the sides, because that's not a room, it's a public hallway. the complaint originally posted with it is that you have yoru apartment, and then the public hallway, and hten on the other side of it more of your apartment, which is where the toilet is

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zereth posted:

Again, if I'm understanding it, the middle segment shouldn't be closed on the sides, because that's not a room, it's a public hallway. the complaint originally posted with it is that you have yoru apartment, and then the public hallway, and hten on the other side of it more of your apartment, which is where the toilet is

Yeah but how do you get to the middle segment?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

HardDiskD posted:

Yeah but how do you get to the middle segment?

it's open on each end, because it's the portion of the building hallway that passes through the triangle you're renting out

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and that floor of the building opens to the outside, where? How do you get into that hallway?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Y’all need to stop worrying about how you get in, that’s in the past. The real concern now is how do we get out

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I found this Bob Vila episode of This Old House, which is fun if you want to see a younger Norm Abram or skinny Richard Trethewy. But the highlight ended up being this tile job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGlJPZwQjs&t=828s

Hey we have this system that puts 9 tiles into alignment, yet somehow not one loving tile is straight at the end. I kept thinking, OK the demo is over and they will let a pro take it all off and do it right. Unlike beatmasterj, they did manage to get the window opening aligned to the tile pattern.

Earlier in the episode Bob and Norm install some windows, and watching them walk across the "scaffold" is nauseating.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Earlier in the episode Bob and Norm install some windows, and watching them walk across the "scaffold" is nauseating.

I was more concerned about the complete absence of flashing :stonk:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Looks like one my grandpa's welds. He was a farmer and quite skilled at a lot of things. Welding was not one of them. I mean, I suck at welding but he really went over the top with his snot welds. My dad used to grind down my grandpa's welds and fix them when he wasn't looking.

My grandpa was also a hilariously bad engineer. It never stopped him. Usually, we could make it work. We once spent 6 hours making forks for the loader on the tractor to move some bales. We had proper forks for the three-point but he wanted forks on the front. 6 hours. I told him it wouldn't work. I told him that his design wouldn't work. I told him that the square stock was not strong enough. Lets just do it by hand. He just said "Let's try it."

6 hours later, we try it out. The forks immediately bend and fail. Then we forked out the hay in about 45 minutes by hand which is what I had said to do in the first place. I miss working with him on nonsense projects that never went anywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mostlygray posted:

My dad used to grind down my grandpa's welds and fix them when he wasn't looking.

In grandpa’s mind, his welds never failed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mostlygray posted:

Looks like one my grandpa's welds. He was a farmer and quite skilled at a lot of things. Welding was not one of them. I mean, I suck at welding but he really went over the top with his snot welds. My dad used to grind down my grandpa's welds and fix them when he wasn't looking.

My grandpa was also a hilariously bad engineer. It never stopped him. Usually, we could make it work. We once spent 6 hours making forks for the loader on the tractor to move some bales. We had proper forks for the three-point but he wanted forks on the front. 6 hours. I told him it wouldn't work. I told him that his design wouldn't work. I told him that the square stock was not strong enough. Lets just do it by hand. He just said "Let's try it."

6 hours later, we try it out. The forks immediately bend and fail. Then we forked out the hay in about 45 minutes by hand which is what I had said to do in the first place. I miss working with him on nonsense projects that never went anywhere.

My brother-in-law and his co-worker mate once spent an entire afternoon trying to move a boat on a trailer from my mum's field with the winch in front of the co-worker's Opel Whatever.

I went to see how it was going and they'd almost sawn down a few trees trying to create an intricate poo poo pulley system out of standing forest to get the trailer to go the right way. I told them to hold up a moment, grabbed the trailer beam, and pulled the loving boat onto the road myself. They never even tried it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

mostlygray posted:

My grandfather was a farmer and self taught welder too, although he knew how to weld and was better at engineering over built solutions. City Hall had some metal sculpture put out front that didn't appear to be portraying anything, was basically a big metal loop, and cost $50k back when that was a lot of money, at least to a redneck farmer. It made my grandpa SO drat ANGRY that you could see the welds on it. "GIVE ME $50K AND I'LL BUILD YOU A YUNK OF METAL BUT YOU WON'T SEE THE SEAMS!!!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know what they say, “a grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t.”

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There may be some crappy construction in progress according to this post from the EVE Online thread:

Dalael posted:

Actually I installed a floor in my basement and not only is the room not square, none of the angles are actually 90 degree and none of the walls are straight.
Did I also mention I don't know what I'm doing and can barely build IKEA furniture? I literally used a Jigsaw and mydar? saw for the first time and now feel like I can finally identify to the great Canadian hero Red Green because lots of duct tape was used.

Grover rises.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

You know what they say, “a grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t.”

It sure as gently caress does for me. Just go look in my thread.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a welding thread? It's something I've always wanted to learn to do, but not really sure where to start.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a welding thread?

Seconding this.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Munin posted:

It's not a lock though, it's a latch. And there are so many easier and robust ways to make a latch than this.

urgh, awful page snipe.

[edit] This is a cool gif about better built buildings: https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1210221305741664257

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fC7oUOUEEi4

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If your structure’s angles are all 90 degrees and everything is level it’s because someone went back in after the build and made it that way at significant expense.

The office chair in my old house would roll backwards towards the central staircase due to settling and before putting in the new floors in the ten year old condo we had like forty bags of leveling compound put down. Next time you see a concrete building with window walls being poured look at the max distance between a concrete floor and a structural column. With the magic of rebar it can be quite far but you can end up with significant sag.

Also good times when someone puts a couple thousand kilograms of hot tub on an unsupported cantilevered balcony. My old neighbour hired a crane and put a giant hot tub on his balcony without consulting strata or engineers or anyone. Strata was not impressed. Thankfully it’s on a structurally supported corner but even then the drains aren’t built to handle a 1500L flood in event of containment failure.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a welding thread? It's something I've always wanted to learn to do, but not really sure where to start.

DIY › Blacksmithing & metalwork: Anything involving penetration has to be anodized

You can try that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can confirm that is the welding thread. It's also blacksmithing and machining and stuff but there's been plenty of weldchat in the past.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I can confirm that is the welding thread. It's also blacksmithing and machining and stuff but there's been plenty of weldchat in the past.

:cheers:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

mostlygray posted:

My grandfather was the complete opposite. His welds were a thing of beauty, and he engineered like Kastein: overbuilt but it would outlast the heat death of the universe.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

If you have Parkinson's, then welding isn't the career for you.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

An interesting piece, did the artist not sign his work?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No no, Crapper Construction thread is thatta way ——>

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oh poo poo, tanks for the directions

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TFW you discover the solution to your low flow toilet problems.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean, does it flush? Does it leak? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen worse toilets.

For one, the bowl is clean, which I would not expect for a bodge job like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If it's stupid but it works, it's still stupid but at least it works.