Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Colostomy Bag posted:

The 3800 is a tank.

Here's hoping. The safety inspection gave a clean bill of health. The Buick has quite a few features I've never had in a car before, including power windows and seats, all wheel disc brakes, a set of winter tires on rims, heated side mirrors, some sort of GM satellite radio thingy...

Though I noticed the transmission develops a certain high-pitched whine if you floor it. As this is totally without any harsh shifts or any other abnormal behavior, I'm not sure if that's how the transmission is, or a sign of a problem. Quick googling revealed several minor issues that can cause it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My grey car is making a noise. 09 Corolla 2.4litre.
It's making a sound like a 'buzzy humm'. Think of a propeller plane sound from movie. It changes with vehicle speed and doesn't *seem* to go away when I go left or right. My first inclination is that it's a wheel bearing. But as I mentioned it doesn't seem to go away when I turn left or right. It seems like it comes from the driver side though I could be wrong. Had the car up on a jack and tried to wobble the wheels and what not but no noticeable play. If it was a worn wheel bearing the abs light may come on would it not?

Since there doesn't seem to be any play in the bearing, would a noise like that be indicative of a seizing bearing? I haven't measured the temperature of my hubs but that's my next course of action. A bearing that going to seize would be noticeably hotter?

What about a bad CV joint?
I feel like It's probably the driver side rear bearing but maybe I'm wrong.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That sounds like a classic wheel bearing failure. It'll sound a bit rumbly at first. It will get louder. If you reach peak Fat Lady, the hub may be preparing for an unplanned disassembly.

The CEL for the sensor will occur within a week or so if you're driving it daily.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not... always. I've had a bad wheel bearing for several months on my car. The only time I've had the ABS light come on is when I put the car on jackstands and put it in drive, was trying to see if I had a bent hub or wheel (it was the hub).

ABS light came on because the ABS kicked in when I applied the brakes - not all of the wheels stopped at the same time, it got pissy over that.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's hoping. The safety inspection gave a clean bill of health. The Buick has quite a few features I've never had in a car before, including power windows and seats, all wheel disc brakes, a set of winter tires on rims, heated side mirrors, some sort of GM satellite radio thingy...

Though I noticed the transmission develops a certain high-pitched whine if you floor it. As this is totally without any harsh shifts or any other abnormal behavior, I'm not sure if that's how the transmission is, or a sign of a problem. Quick googling revealed several minor issues that can cause it.

You sure it's the transmission? I remember my mom's 3800 whining a bit at high RPMs. I always chalked it up to the alternator or power steering pump. It had ~20k when she got it, ~50k when she got rid of it. Granted, a much older 3800 (it was in a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - she got it around 2001), but still essentially the same engine. Sounded exactly like every other 3800 I've heard wound up.

The car I have now is my first with power seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield, and heated seats. First with antilock brakes. 2nd with 4 wheel discs.

That GM satellite thing is either OnStar, or OnStar + SiriusXM. SiriusXM is pretty neat if you drive a lot, though the streaming plan is a better deal (especially if you have unlimited data on your phone) and actually works everywhere. OnStar is nice if you want a safety net in case of an accident, but it's expensive after that free 3 month trial is up (they'll always haggle on pricing though, they'd rather sell the service close to their cost if it means keeping a customer on the books).

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, public transport in Pitt is really good, the city is very walkable, and parking is really bad. I wouldn’t take a car to the city proper if I didn’t absolutely have to.

I think I have to spend $200-$300 a month to park my truck. I guess it's okay. So the plan is, drive. Park. Then take public transport. Lol I posted way too much information in that post but I guess it's too late now, I was bored at work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yank the trans dipstick, see if the fluid is pink.

The 4t60/4t65 aren't the greatest in the world. If you start getting hard shifts it is a good chance it is the pressure control solenoid. Bad news on that is the valve body cover sits behind the subframe which is a lot of work to get out of the way.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

STR posted:

You sure it's the transmission? I remember my mom's 3800 whining a bit at high RPMs. I always chalked it up to the alternator or power steering pump. It had ~20k when she got it, ~50k when she got rid of it. Granted, a much older 3800 (it was in a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - she got it around 2001), but still essentially the same engine. Sounded exactly like every other 3800 I've heard wound up.

The car I have now is my first with power seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield, and heated seats. First with antilock brakes. 2nd with 4 wheel discs.

I am totally not sure it is the transmission, it could be those things. Will observe and report.

Also, anti-lock, add that to the list of firsts :fist bump:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yank the trans dipstick, see if the fluid is pink.

The 4t60/4t65 aren't the greatest in the world. If you start getting hard shifts it is a good chance it is the pressure control solenoid. Bad news on that is the valve body cover sits behind the subframe which is a lot of work to get out of the way.

e: did that, fluid is pink, no metal bits, no burny smell if that's a thing with the fluid

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah trans fluid can absolutely smell burnt. Usually starts getting darker by then.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
My wifes mini is missing a gel decal on her door, ive bought a replacement but how the hel do I stick the thing? Just glue? The backsdie is slightly tacky so that it sticks to the plastic it came in. Do I heat gun it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a trailer tire recommendation for the 205/75/15 size? I know gently caress all about these things.

e: here, have a pic of a 14ft aluminum trailer

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 23, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have a trailer tire recommendation for the 205/75/15 size? I know gently caress all about these things.

e: here, have a pic of a 14ft aluminum trailer

Been happy with the stock ones on my 9k tandem axle dump trailer in that size. Rainier - https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have Trailer Kings on my trailer.

They're round, they hold air. PO of the trailer put them on not long before selling it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

Can I get some advice about moving to the city? I am taking a temp job (13 weeks) in South Pittsburgh, a pretty hoppin nightlife area so parking will be on the street. My job is only 2 miles away and I could take a bus.
I've been driving and have been close to my vehicle since 15 years old. It is hard to imagine, but I am considering not taking it and just flying. Why, I have no idea where to park. Parking I think is expensive in the city. To be honest I barely can parallel park, I just never have to. I do have a rear camera so I think I could pull it off, but it is a medium pickup so it could be tricky. This might be more of a rant but I am weighing the pros and cons still of car vs no car, or how to even get around. How do you go to a grocery store if you don't have a truck? Bring a backpack in or something?
Sorry I'm late to this, but if you haven't already had your question answered- assuming you mean the South Side Flats, yeah don't bother bringing a car if you're gonna live there and you work close. Unfortunately the nightlife probably won't be much to speak of compared to usual for a while, but you can get to almost anywhere that matters via public transit and parking on South Side is a nightmare. Getting to like, Millvale or Upper Lawrenceville via transit isn't quite as convenient but you're close to all the necessities in South Side anyway. There's also a shitload of Ubers/Lyfts (as of early March).

For groceries, you can use a rolling grocery cart thing if you don't wanna carry them. Bringing in a backpack is also fine.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the Pittsburgh thread.

Edit also $200-300 a month to park may or may not be a lot of money to you but it's a lot of money for almost every other neighborhood in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't spend the cash on it if I lived in the Flats.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 23, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

That sounds like a classic wheel bearing failure. It'll sound a bit rumbly at first. It will get louder. If you reach peak Fat Lady, the hub may be preparing for an unplanned disassembly.

The CEL for the sensor will occur within a week or so if you're driving it daily.

Yup, brought it in yesterday. Left front. 720 buckos later its fixed.
Guess my brake rotors can wait for a bit..... sigh..

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have Trailer Kings on my trailer.

They're round, they hold air. PO of the trailer put them on not long before selling it.

Motronic posted:

Been happy with the stock ones on my 9k tandem axle dump trailer in that size. Rainier - https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/

Thanks, I'll check these both out. I'm just half surprised that the normal brands don't really have anything

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So I don't know poo poo about cars, let alone car electronics. The cigarette lighter in the car wasn't working and the internet told me to try changing the fuse. I got the exact same fuze, same voltage and swapped them out. It was a 15v blue fuse that was here - https://ibb.co/NnjbLY0

Now, when I start the car there is a very loud screeching / distorted noise and the car doesn't start. The lights on the dash and front also go haywire and 'strobe'. Sounds kinda like this, but much louder: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/h8ncn7/screaming_fuse_panel/. This is only for a second before I turn the key back off.

What the hell? I used the exact same component in the exact same place. I put the old one back, same result. Tried without both in, same result. Any idea what the hell happened? The locks and radio are fine and the car still has power, but won't start. It's a Golf mk5 2016.

That'll teach me for trying something myself :(

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 23, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Why did the fuse blow?

(They don't generally fail because of age or anything like that - it's because something was shorted or too large of a load was plugged in. Did you plug in something weird? Spill a drink near the outlet?)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Nope, nothing like that. I don' think anything blew, there was no pop or any indication of that.Swapped a like-for-like fuse and then this happened. Maybe the battery drained overnight for some reason although we've driven the car a lot recently. I suspect the new head unit maybe has been draining the battery, but the guy who installed it said not to worry about that. If that's the case, I'm gonna kill him. Either way, its a bit of a coincidence that I changed the fuse and this then happened, plus would a battery drain in just one day?

Anyway, my wife's dad who knows about cars is gonna have a look tomorrow and test the battery. Thanks for the reply :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Probably the battery.

Should be fairly easy to measure parasitic draw if in fact the guy messed something up.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, agreed. A headunit can easily drain a battery in a day, absolutely.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Thanks guys. I'm pretty annoyed because I specifically told him about a wire he was supposed to disconnect to stop battery drain but he waved it away, so I figured he was the expert and let him do his thing.

It's weird because we've gone days without using the car (after head unit installation) and it started just fine. This was just 24 hours after a bunch of driving. Anyway, I don't know poo poo, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's possible the battery just crapped. How old is the battery?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I got my first car ever this week and want to know what essentials I should buy for it. Recommendations for specific products that are easy to use (I don't know anything about cars) would be preferred, but essentials for car maintenance (simple stuff like oil changes) would be helpful as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Make and model?

I'd get a cheap set of tools just to handle random things that may come up (eg, have a wrench on hand to disconnect the battery). Harbor Freight is fine for the occasional use, the sockets are pretty good, but they're cheap and sometimes get what you pay for. I stick with the Pittsburg Pro line, but hear good things about the new ICON line. Sockets and screwdrivers are good enough for the most basic things, I buy more specific tools depending on the job and vehicle.

Basic socket set:
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/38-in-drive-sae-metric-high-visibility-socket-set-21-pc-61954.html
Could go cheaper if you know you need SAE or metric only. (EDIT: looks like they are getting rid of the "Pro" branding, looking for ratchets with the rubber grip handles, the all metal ones are trash)

I'd also get a big rear end breaker bar and a socket to fit your lug nuts to get the wheels off. It's easier than using whatever was included with the car. I keep one in the car.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-60819.html

My German cars love Torx and Hex fasteners. I personally like to use sockets for these as I can use them as a screwdriver, on a ratchet, or with a power tool. My Harbor Freight ones have broken often with light use. My Capri sets have held up better, but still have had smaller bits broken by coworkers (:argh:). I'd probably get Gearwrench next time, but may not be worth the money for you.

L-wrenches are an affordable alternative. Tekton or Bondhaus are good. I keep some one hand as a backup and sometimes they just reach where a socket can't.

Check your model to see what you actually need in this case, especially if it's metric or SAE.

Also have a couple of pairs of pliers for clips and things. Needle nose if you can.

That should handle most basic tasks around the car.

Oil changes require a drain pan and a funnel and something to get the filter off. Whatever works for the first two, the filter tool would depend on the specific car.

NEVER EVER get under a car without a jack stand. I don't have a specific suggestion for this except not Harbor Freight. They've had multiple recalls for failing ones. I've seen people talk about ones with a second locking pin, but don't have a specific brand to say right now. Look in the tool thread.

A hydraulic jack makes lifting the car easier than whatever was included with the car (usually called a "widow jack", NEVER get under a car held up by a jack alone, no matter what kind). I like mine, but they don't make it anymore (or renamed it). It also doesn't lift high enough to be useful on my mom's SUV. I've heard good things about the Dayton jacks at HF.

HF has coupons. Use them. The jacks go on sale often, don't pay full price. The also take back broken hand tools.

Tip: get a bottle of anti-seize and put a little bit on the round part of the wheel hub (see red arrow) when you take the wheels off. It makes getting them off next time so much easier, especially if you experience snow. Don't get it on the brakes, don't put it on the threads, don't get it on your clothes, just a little goes a very long way.

For stuff in the car, jumper cables, spare phone charger, I personally keep things to keep me comfortable and safe while calling for help (I have an extra gear bag for the winter in case I need to make a trek in the snow). Maybe consider if AAA works for your habits. Wirecutter has a pretty decent breakdown.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-gear-for-a-roadside-emergency/

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The make and model is a 2017 EDIT: Honda (I'm a moron) Accord Sport, not sure what metrics they use. Thanks for your recommendations!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 24, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Honda makes the Accord :ssh:

99.99% sure every fastener on that car will be metric, at least.

Oh, I forgot to list Google. First thing I do every time I work on my car is type in "2016 Honda Accord [repair] diy" and look for forum posts and YouTube videos.

Beyond showing how to do something, they'll list the tools and anything else you need.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 24, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can think of a half a dozen fasteners that may be SAE, but it's extremely unlikely you will be removing or installing your seatbelts, so it's not your problem. Everything else will be metric.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Have you insured your car with the same company since you’ve leased it? The reason I ask is because you can try this gambit - do nothing now, turn in the car at the end of the lease. If they don’t ding you, great, you’re done. If they do say something and you’ve insured the car with the same company the entire time, you just didn’t notice it until now and then you can submit a claim. Since you’ve had the same insurance company the entire time, it had to have happened during a covered policy period.

Yeah, it's always been Geico. That's clever. The Slack channel already turned me on to paint repair pens, so I'm gonna do that and if they notice, keep this in my back pocket.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kastein posted:

I can think of a half a dozen fasteners that may be SAE, but it's extremely unlikely you will be removing or installing your seatbelts, so it's not your problem. Everything else will be metric.

I don't know where the goon is from*, but the lugnuts might be imperial rather than metric.

*Don't know what its like outside North Freedomerica.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mom's CR-V of the same year has metric lug nuts.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Most passenger vehicles rolling in the US are either 19mm, which a 3/4" will fit,

or 21mm, which is approximately 13/16"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MRC48B posted:

Most passenger vehicles rolling in the US are either 19mm, which a 3/4" will fit,

or 21mm, which is approximately 13/16"

My VW was 17 mm, which 11/16" would fit, but a bit sloppily.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chromed lug nuts often swell up so you need a loose fitting socket for those anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
And then the rust gets crushed and falls out and the stupid loving chrome condom gets jammed in your socket

It took me 15 minutes to pry one of those fuckers out with a Leatherman on the side of the road once. Never again. I replace those lovely loving lug nuts right off the bat now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Chromed lug nuts often swell up so you need a loose fitting socket for those anyway.

Doesn't that only happen to lovely 90s gm products?
I figured we had evolved past that now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ford does it too. I didn't even realize it when my wife first got her car because I threw gorilla lugs on it right away, but I worked on her cousin's similar year F150 which had the same style lug, and we had that problem. (This was a 2016 F150.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Definitely had to start using the plain nuts from my winter wheels full time two years ago on my Fiesta when the factory plastic capped crap gave out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Doesn't that only happen to lovely 90s gm products?
I figured we had evolved past that now.

Jeep cherokee and Comanche as well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy gently caress. I remember working on pile of poo poo gm poo poo at a garage in the late 90s and that was standard stuff, the chrome caps with rust underneath you would curse them off before using a socket two sizes smaller to actually get the wheels off. Guess that survived longer than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

How do I bench test an O2 sensor heater circuit? I tried one from ebay ($18), no dice, tried another from Rockauto ($120); seemingly solved the P1150, P1155 code. I just want to know how so I don't have to guess next time.

specifically this is an Air/Fuel Ratio sensor.